Awoo.

Sonic CD for online distrubution possible?

Preston

Would it be possible for Sega to re-release Sonic CD for the XBLA, PSN and/or Virtual Console? The other 2D Sonic games are available for these services, so I would love to see Sonic CD on one of them for completion sake. I would also love the option to choose between the US soundtrack and the Japan/Europe one. I'm sure Sonic CD could make it on XBLA and PSN, but the Virtual Console might have some problems. I don't know how big the file size for Sonic CD would be in comparison to the rest of the VC games, but maybe it won't be that much bigger than your average N64 game. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there.

I don't know how many times I've seen topics asking for Sonic CD for download, to be honest, I just want a damn decent Sonic collection with all the Game Gear games, all the Genesis games, and Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic CD, then I'm sure we'll all be happy.

There's been several topics about this? I didn't know there was such a high demand. Sorry if this is redundant then.

Knowing how Xbox 360s shouldn't have a problem with any games ported from PC, I'm not exactly sure why we haven't seen Sonic CD anywhere. It's only gotten three ports ever, and all were rather obscure.

in b4 "'Sonic CD sucks', that's why"

Edited by Azukara

It's definitely possible, and they should include both soundtracks if they do.

I don't know how many times I've seen topics asking for Sonic CD for download, to be honest, I just want a damn decent Sonic collection with all the Game Gear games, all the Genesis games, and Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic CD, then I'm sure we'll all be happy.

True, but we should keep on with this spam, right? So we can get what we want. Just... Not so much like too many people do with a Sonic Adventure and Shenmue sequel. :D

If we really want the entire Sonic compilation, we should go ahead and go all the way to friggin' Sonic Adventure 2 and all the spin-offs in 2D and 3D,(yes, Sonic Shuffle and Sonic Battle) don't you think? Also, it's pretty much impossible for the current technology we've got for Home Consoles. The disc can't possibly withstand so much memory.

The closest thing we've got is this. -___-

2hcjo7p.jpg

Therefore, I would like SEGA to release all Sonic games in a Mega-Pack on Steam and its magical Steam Cloud. :P

Why do I recommend this? SEGA already has experience with Steam, and Steam is virtual; ergo, unlimited memory for everybody! Stuff as much games as you can in your computer's hard-drive. Not enough? Pff, screw it, we has a Steam Cloud!

Various SEGA games are in there already, such as Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and Sonic Adventure 1. But, there's still loads of games missing that need some love in there, and there's nothing like virtual memory to fit it all in. Soo, yeah.

Edited by Tatsumaki

Knowing how Xbox 360s shouldn't have a problem with any games ported from PC, I'm not exactly sure why we haven't seen Sonic CD anywhere.

I would rather they refrain from reusing the PC version. Real Sega CD emulation would be more preferable.

Edited by Preston

Why? It's actually superior given the use of a higher quality opening FMV. Heck, port the Gems Collection version! (whilst fixing the color pallet issue with the water)

There's no C button, rendering the debug mode useless, the sound quality is lower, graphical glitches occur that weren't present in the Sega CD version, and it's just not as authentic.

There's no C button, rendering the debug mode useless, the sound quality is lower, graphical glitches occur that weren't present in the Sega CD version, and it's just not as authentic.

Yes, but it still had more variety. Variety is what matters for me. It doesn't sound so good, doesn't look so good? Fuck it, it's still Sonic.

I don't care so much for "horrendous" audio quality, bad framerate, nor graphical glitches. Unless it's

we're talking about.

... T_T

It would only get a port of the PC version, and likely not on the Wii. SEGA aren't going to bother making a SEGA CD emulator for just one game (cause SCD is all people care about), so they could just port the PC version nice and easily and release it with no questions asked. This is also why we wouldn't get Chaotix- it only exist on the 32x and there are seriously no games that would make an emulator worthwhile. And then there's the huge soundtrack to include. I don't think that'd get past the WW/WVC size limits.

If that's the case, I might as well just import a Japanese Mega Drive along with a Mega CD and get the Japanese version of Sonic CD instead. It will be more costly, but I bought a Saturn and one of those rare 3D control pads just for NiGHTS. I guess I can make similar arrangements for the authentic Sonic CD experience.

*Shrugs*

Edited by Preston
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't see how Sonic CD would be too big for the VC (then again, I don't pay too much attention to this stuff). If it is though, I think that problem could be solved by just removing a few effects, and (as a last resort, though) skipping the option to switch between music tracks.

I just want a damn decent Sonic collection with all the Game Gear games, all the Genesis games, and Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic CD, then I'm sure we'll all be happy.

I'm sure we'll see SA2 in one of the coming Dreamcast releases on XBLA/PSN, but as for Sonic CD... I would love for it to be ported over, but it seems Sega is forgetting about it all the time.

I'm sure we'll see SA2 in one of the coming Dreamcast releases on XBLA/PSN, but as for Sonic CD... I would love for it to be ported over, but it seems Sega is forgetting about it all the time.

Edited by Tatsumaki

I would like to see Sonic CD on XBLA. It would have to be the PC version though.

True, but we should keep on with this spam, right? So we can get what we want. Just... Not so much like too many people do with a Sonic Adventure and Shenmue sequel. :D

If we really want the entire Sonic compilation, we should go ahead and go all the way to friggin' Sonic Adventure 2 and all the spin-offs in 2D and 3D,(yes, Sonic Shuffle and Sonic Battle) don't you think? Also, it's pretty much impossible for the current technology we've got for Home Consoles. The disc can't possibly withstand so much memory.

The closest thing we've got is this. -___-

2hcjo7p.jpg

Therefore, I would like SEGA to release all Sonic games in a Mega-Pack on Steam and its magical Steam Cloud. :P

Why do I recommend this? SEGA already has experience with Steam, and Steam is virtual; ergo, unlimited memory for everybody! Stuff as much games as you can in your computer's hard-drive. Not enough? Pff, screw it, we has a Steam Cloud!

Various SEGA games are in there already, such as Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and Sonic Adventure 1. But, there's still loads of games missing that need some love in there, and there's nothing like virtual memory to fit it all in. Soo, yeah.

Edited by Schismatist

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not really.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?348866-Sonic-The-Hedgehog-4-Episode-2-Discussion&p=6499947&viewfull=1#post6499947

Ken Balough says it himself. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Two is not a Sonic CD remake. And you know he's high up on the SEGA Food Chain, or one of the main representatives. He's the Sonic 4 Brand Manager.

Trust me. SEGA is not forgetting Sonic CD.

There may be surprises on Sonic's birthday. I'm afraid we'll have to wait to find out.

And apparently not Sonic 4 after the whole Generations videos.

I know who Ken Balough is, and while they may not be forgetting it directly, Sonic CD is certainly not as commonly mentioned as Sonic 1-3 or the Adventure games. I mean, Sonic CD can be found in one collection, and that's Sonic Gems Collection. If you don't have that it's old PC or old Mega-CD version. Compare that to any of the Sonic 1-3 games where we in some cases have more than one collection or release on the same console even.

Yes I'm sure we'll have surprises, and I'm still betting on SA2. :P

Edit:

@TwoTailedFox

Regarding Wii.

Well, Mega-CD is currently not part of the WiiVC lineup and WiiWare titles has a max size of 40MB.

PC Version is about 120MB I think, shouldn't be hard to somehow compress it without any noticable change. MDK2 did it after all.

Edited by Tobbii

If they re-release the game at all they'll have to redo the core level design to flow a little better.

As much as I like it and know what they were aiming for, it won't fly nowadays.

If they re-release the game at all they'll have to redo the core level design to flow a little better.

As much as I like it and know what they were aiming for, it won't fly nowadays.

Why and why? We're talking 21st century SEGA quality re-release. All that changes between one version an the next is the addition of multiple bugs. Not to mention it's really not necessary either.

Edited by Blue Blood

As far as I know, the Adventure games are around, what, 700 MB? If so, then yeah, they can fit the Adventure games and every Sonic game before that on the damn Wii(4GB from what I remember), probably could through all the GBA games on there aswell.

Why and why? We're talking 21st century SEGA quality re-release. All that changes between one version an the next is the addition of multiple bugs. Not to mention it's really not necessary either.

If you take Sonic CD and completely change the level designs then it's not Sonic CD anymore now is it?

As ideal as it would be for a re-release to make Stardust Speedway less of a clusterfuck, I don't see why Sega should expend any time or effort to overhaul the level design for the rest of the game. Sonic 1 has been re-released countless times when that game has level designs that can be considered "un-Sonicy". I can say the same for Sonic 2's later levels. Sonic CD may not hold up as a Sonic game to many people, but it still holds up as a great platformer in and of itself.

One thing I can admit is the physics are a tad off, but that's only because Sonic CD was in development at the same time as Sonic 2. Both games had Sonic 1 as their base and both of them implemented diagonal springs and pinball flippers for the first time. The difference is Sonic 2 came out earlier, hence why Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles had Sonic 2 as their base. I would love to see a Sonic CD re-release with Sonic 2's physics, that being the only major change from the original. That and eliminating the plane switching nonsense in Stardust Speedway.

Edited by Preston