Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid collection and new transfer system

KHCast

Metal gear 2,3 and peace walker have been announced for the ps3 and xbox 360 in Hd. The Ps3 version will have a transferring ability. This will allow the Ps3 to transfer metal gear data to the Psp. In other words, you can play on the go without stopping. What is your view on the transfer system and will you get metal gear for the Xbox or ps3? please discuss.

mgs.collection.060211-530px.jpeg

Edited by dudehedgehogfan1996

I've never played the MGS series before. Would this be a good place to start?

No, because you're missing 1. I'd download that from the PStore then, if you like what you're seeing, work through 2 and 3 in the collection, get 4 and leave PW for last.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've never played any of them as well. But now that this is all with improved graphics, audio and such, I could start now.

MGS has been widely known to be an excellent game series. I could give it a shot. :P

Edited by Tatsumaki

Metal Gear solid 2 is pretty much Metal Gear Solid only with swords at the end and instead of snake you play as a pixie. It's my least favourite of the series because it's more or less Metal Gear Solid in everyway.

The justification is 'because it's the plot!' It's supposed to be the same. But I just think it was a tad too lazy.

Otherwise, as a technical exercise MGS 2 was quite amazing, melting ice cubes, melting plasma tvs etc etc the details etc etc. But story wise, you more or less will be told everything you need to know in order to get whats going on.

MGS 3 though is worth the price of admission alone for this one.

Not yet played Peace Walker so I won't comment on that.

No, because you're missing 1. I'd download that from the PStore then, if you like what you're seeing, work through 2 and 3 in the collection, get 4 and leave PW for last.

Naturally, should have mentioned that. I don't have a PS3 though and don't like the PSP. Anyway I can play the first?

I've never played the MGS series before. Would this be a good place to start?

If MGS1 was included, it'd be all you need. I'm both excited and disappointed with this. I can't wait to finally play Peace Walker, and MGS2 and MGS3 in HD will be amazing (plus achievements / trophies too!) But honestly... no MGS1? It's my favourite of the series and it just feels wrong to leave it out. At least somehow get it on the XBLA as it is on PSN, but really, without it this feels a bit of an odd 'collection.'

Which MGS was the one that had Raiden on it and people say it "sucks"?

I think it was the second. I dunno, I'm a noob at this ^^

A lot of friends of mine just spontaneously say that. I don't understand why.

Edited by Tatsumaki

The only Metal Gear I've played (and completed due to it's brilliance) was one on the Gamecube (Twin Snakes I think?). I'm pretty sure that was a remake of some sort, so I'll be picking this up for more MGS for definite.

Naturally, should have mentioned that. I don't have a PS3 though and don't like the PSP. Anyway I can play the first?

Uh, I think there was a PC port of 1. Alternatively, score an original PSX disc to play on a PS1 or 2 (tell me you have at least one of them because goddamn). If you're really, REALLY desperate there was a remake for Gamecube, Twin Snakes, but it's generally frowned upon by the fanbase.

Or better yet, save up and get a PS3 ;P

Though storywise, you can play MGS3 and PW without having played the other games.

And you'd be missing on a shitload of cool references, cameos and foreshadowing. You cannot grasp the true hilarity of Ivan Raidenovitch Raikov without having experienced MGS2 in person.

Which MGS was the one that had Raiden on it and people say it "sucks"?

I think it was the second. I dunno, I'm a noob at this ^^

A lot of friends of mine just spontaneously say that. I don't understand why.

It was the second one.

But like I said, the reason why it's not that good is because it's more or less Metal Gear Solid in every way, only thing is they slap Raiden in there without really telling anyone they were going to do that, people thought they were getting a 'new' game and playing as Snake, so when we got MGS 2 and found this other dude jumping around in a story and stages that looked almost the same as the previous one, it didn't go down very well.

As a stand alone game it's not that bad (although I hated the 'nodes'), but because it's the sequel to MGS, a game that almost everybody who bought MGS 2 had played, it felt like a bit of a rip off.

However, ever since Raidens relaunch in MGS4, it's possible that this might be his time to shine a little more.

It was the second one.

But like I said, the reason why it's not that good is because it's more or less Metal Gear Solid in every way, only thing is they slap Raiden in there without really telling anyone they were going to do that, people thought they were getting a 'new' game and playing as Snake, so when we got MGS 2 and found this other dude jumping around in a story and stages that looked almost the same as the previous one, it didn't go down very well.

As a stand alone game it's not that bad (although I hated the 'nodes'), but because it's the sequel to MGS, a game that almost everybody who bought MGS 2 had played, it felt like a bit of a rip off.

However, ever since Raidens relaunch in MGS4, it's possible that this might be his time to shine a little more.

Ahh, alright. Yeah, I'm definitely trying the MGS series now.

The best/worst part were official MGS2 screens showing Snake all the time, even in the Plant chapter. Then people got the game in their hands and... mastertroll.

Alas, not only was it a troll, it was a clever part of the storyline and a meta reference. Insane.

The first game probably isn't on the list because of the sheer amount of work it would take to do it.

But like I said, the reason why it's not that good is because it's more or less Metal Gear Solid in every way

Well, that and its the original MGS but nowhere near as good. The story being completely god damn crazy after the halfway point didn't help matters.

And you'd be missing on a shitload of cool references, cameos and foreshadowing. You cannot grasp the true hilarity of Ivan Raidenovitch Raikov without having experienced MGS2 in person.

Well of course, considering all the injokes MGS has. But you wouldn't be completely lost storywise. Though with MGS2, it does come with a summary of MGS1...in the form of a several hundred page document :lol: .

Well of course, considering all the injokes MGS has. But you wouldn't be completely lost storywise. Though with MGS2, it does come with a summary of MGS1...in the form of a several hundred page document :lol: .

That document ain't gonna move your pad telekinetically emot-crossarms.gif

Oh wait a second... I know something you could get which would explain everything happened in Metal gear Solid.

Theres that PSP game called Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel. Chances are it's online somewhere in a video form, it's quite a good little 'game' for what it's designed to do, but it pretty much gives you everything that Metal Gear Solid did, except for actual gameplay.

The first game probably isn't on the list because of the sheer amount of work it would take to do it.

Don't see why they couldn't just port twin snakes and upped the textures on that. thats basically half the work done there.

But why not MGS4 for the 360? I know its a big game and i would've understood it needing 2 discs (in fact it'd feel more retro that way! :) ) but i think its time it stopped being a PS3 exclusive now that the other games are getting the mulplatform treatment.

Besides they never released a substance/subsistance re-release version of MGS4 yet, i think its time now.

Don't see why they couldn't just port twin snakes and upped the textures on that. thats basically half the work done there.

Because Twin Snakes sucks. And the work that would be required for it to not suck would be roughly the same as the amount of work required to remake the original game.

But why not MGS4 for the 360? I know its a big game and i would've understood it needing 2 discs (in fact it'd feel more retro that way! :) ) but i think its time it stopped being a PS3 exclusive now that the other games are getting the mulplatform treatment.

Except it was a ground up, tailor-made game for the PS3, to the extent that the cost of developing a 360 port would very likely outweigh the benefits.

Edited by Tornado

Because Twin Snakes sucks. And the work that would be required for it to not suck would be roughly the same as the amount of work required to remake the original game.

However you personally feel about the old MGS1 compared to MGS1TS, TS is the new standard and would likely be used instead of old MGS1. If its voice acting you hate then you might as well just hate all the other games too because they use the same voice acting and they couldn't hire back most of the old VAs, if its cutscenes you hate then sorry but its not like they couldn't just use PS1 cutscenes (but I'll admit they did use too much motion blur), If its music again you might as well hate all the other game's music its the same composer, if its game play then I'm not really seeing your argument because to me it feels just the same as old MGS1 except with added FPS mode from MGS2. Or are you just saying it sucks because it was console exclusive?!

Just what is it that pisses people off about TS? it boggles me that the same game can have such a divide because of 2 different generational versions!

Except it was a ground up, tailor-made game for the PS3, to the extent that the cost of developing a 360 port would very likely outweigh the benefits.

You could say the same thing about the PS2 versions of MGS2 and MGS3, but now look where we are posting in a MGS2+3+PW coming to 360 thread. I don't see whats soo "tailor-made" for it other then the amount of space it took up on a bluray disc its not like it has trophys or PS Move support.

The only thing that would probably complicate matters is that deal Kojima Productions had with Apple for the use the ipod for a music player. But then again if they couldn't work things out with apple they could allways switch it to a Zune or something

Just what is it that pisses people off about TS?
Edited by Tornado

The script was worse then the original game. The voice acting was worse then the original game (despite having the same cast). The cutscene were worse then the original game. And the MGS2 aiming ruined the game, including completely breaking at least two bosses.

Hence, if they wanted to remake MGS in HD, it would take much more effort than it would for MGS2 or MGS3, because they would need to revert all of the stupid changes they made for Twin Snakes or actually remake the original game.

Script? it was mostly the same except for these changes:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/926596-metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/41745160

But most are just re-wordings maybe to make not it sound as hardcore because it was being ported to a family console but it still got its point across and the game was just as dark. Maybe you hated the delievery of the lines that were changed?

How can you hate David Hayter and Cam Clarke Portrayals? they were great as solid and liquid snake. don't tell me your hung up on that mei ling thing...

Ok i get it too much Matrix motion blur but overall the cutscenes were alright with me. i agree they did overuse it a bit too much.

Can you show me the bosses it broke because when i played through it felt just as hard the first time around.

Not even remotely the same thing.

Ok bad example let me re-word it. You could say the same thing about MGS2 and MGS3 being console exclusives and being tailor made for them but now there not, never say never.

That bit in MGS4 early in Act 4 where Shadow Moses was recreated exactly as it was in the original game? Konami would have to completely reprogram that entire part of the game to work on the 360 because of how it was designed. That's just one example.

Nevermind whatever hardware optimization tricks that Kojima had to do to get the game to run as well as it did.

What hardware optimization tricks?

I guess they could allways just replace that part with TS it would make sense for a re-release port to have a re-release scene.

OK if anything they could just make a silmed down version of MGS4! i wouldn't mind it having small bells and whistles removed if it ment MGS4 could be ported.

Edited by goku262002

I lliked TS. I don't see the problems with it.

This excites me. Mean I can play Peace Walker on the better system, better controls etc.

Though, I may still get the PSP version for collection..

Personally, I think MGS3 may be the best of them all. It had the best Codec conversations. When I played MGS4, I was really disappointed that the conversations weren't nearly as good as 3's. They were just fun, talking about things like Godzilla, James Bond and stuff. I loved that.

And, I agree that MGS4 needs it's own Substance/Sunbsistence. How that game had no cutscene viewer is beyond me. But it could a lot of stuff other than that.