Awoo.

Anyone out there with shameful Sonic-related secrets?

I mentioned this a long time ago in another thread but I'll say it again.

I skipped a day of grade school just to watch a Sonic show....

....and it was Sonic Underground.

*cries and wails in shame* DON'T JUDGE ME, I WAS A STUPID KID BACK THEN! (Though I probably still am. :P )

I guess I should also say that I think Silver would be good in his own spinoff in his own timeline, and not with the main cast.

Soooo, this topic has partly turned into a "Sonic-related stuff that i am not actually ashamed of, but that might be considered somewhat controversial" topic, eh? Well i got a few of those. In my case, they are mostly of the kind that when i say them out loud, i will unavodiably be labeled as a textbook "retro-fag". Oh well, here goes:

1 I think the only true main characters in the series are Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman, and all other characters should play second fiddle to these (except maybe on rare occasions just to shake things up a bit).

2 I think all characters that existed at the time had better voices before 4kids took over the dubbing, with the sole exception of Amy.

3 I think the Mega Drive classic's outshine all of the other Sonic games to an absolutely extreme extent. Of course, saying that you like the classics better than any other Sonic games is usually just about the least controversial opinion one can have in this fanbase. But what im saying is that im my opinion, the classics are so much better than all other Sonic games that even comparing them to any other games in the series feels kinda like comparing the strength of a heavy weight champion to that of a crippled earthworm with parkinson's disease. (But before someone yells "nostalgia goggles", i will say that i didn't actually play these games that much when i was a child, i only started playing them seriously when Mega Collection came out.)

Aaah yeah, it sure feels good allowing myself to reveal my true retro-faggy form. B)

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 3

I mentioned this a long time ago in another thread but I'll say it again.

I skipped a day of grade school just to watch a Sonic show....

....and it was Sonic Underground.

*cries and wails in shame* DON'T JUDGE ME, I WAS A STUPID KID BACK THEN! (Though I probably still am. :P )

Oh, we're supposed to feel shame for that. Looks like I'm a shameful piece of crap them

Don't get me wrong, I remember you, Cero. You along with SMS, Treacher, BaronGrackle, Black Doom and a few others made the forums worthwhile/entertaining (in a good way) and I had my fun there during the DJGameFreak Saga. Unfortunately, as time went on more idiots/fanboys started joining, sane people started getting banned or being driven out like me. I think that people like Hoggys, HerpDerp brotherhood, and those 3 Shadowfags whose names I forget that ram him down your throat, among other fools, made the forums a hellhole of idiocy and flamewars to the point where I was ashamed to be a member and simply left. Nothing personal.

@ Batson: Since we're on the classic games, I noticed several posts ago you were surprised that no one has said they hate the classics. Well, this is probably the closest response to that you'll get to that. You know how back in the day, people used to say that they were repelled by Shadow simply because of how fanatic his fanbase was? Apply that to the classics for me.

The overzealousness of the true-blood hardcores, the elitism that is sometimes levelled at more casual fans, the unchallenged hailing of all of the games' aspects as being near or absolutely perfect, the subsequent dismissal of any new conventions or ideas that could serve to either improve upon something a classic game or just evolve 3D gameplay in general, and the retroactive backlash against things like the modern design has worn me out and manifested itself into a sheer apathy for the existence of these games. The constant money-grabbing ports don't help either.

And it's not like I don't particularly understand where this comes from either. But still, listening to a seven year-long echo chamber has made me so exhausted that I can't play those particular games just for the sake of playing them anymore. Just the thought of dragging out Mega Collection collection feels so burdensome and awful; I just don't care for the classics anymore, and I actually grew up with them. I have to ask though: Am I the only person who's been with the series since the beginning who feels this way, who literally finds it difficult to pick up the games after this long?

• Thumbs Up 5

Not ashamed of:

I see the advance games as the true golden trio (fuck off classics)

I tend to favor the girls over the guys for the most part when it comes to the series (Team Jubilee > Unbreakable Bond)

I find the adventure games to be highly overrated

Honestly believe that Cheese is the ultimate lifeform (closely followed by Big the Cat)

As of this day, you Cero are now my son. (had you posted how the Advance cast destroys the obsolete and lifeless "classic trio" you would had inherited my two kouhais)

Don't get me wrong, I remember you, Cero. You along with SMS, Treacher, BaronGrackle, Black Doom and a few others made the forums worthwhile/entertaining (in a good way) and I had my fun there during the DJGameFreak Saga. Unfortunately, as time went on more idiots/fanboys started joining, sane people started getting banned or being driven out like me. I think that people like Hoggys, HerpDerp brotherhood, and those 3 Shadowfags whose names I forget that ram him down your throat, among other fools, made the forums a hellhole of idiocy and flamewars to the point where I was ashamed to be a member and simply left. Nothing personal.

You forgot Hayleychaotix XD. Then again not everything is bad since the was this member, Theadvisor1234 who writes very good stories in the cartoon & comics subforum (such a petty the forums had to go down when there are a few new faces that really contribute to the community, tough to be honest I also miss fighting with Hayley and joining forces with RedMenace against the BS from the Archie comics)

Anyway I'm not ashamed to say that I really, really belive that Amy (so far, until we have a Umihara Kawase style Big) is the only character that makes you play the 2-D games like a man, not having to rely on lol easy ways to gain speed like the spindash, but rather making you earn speed the old way, only on basis of momentum. Also while people where crying rivers for Sonic uncurling in S4, Amy gets rid of such a comodity and instead gives you full control over her attacks, which unlike the homming attack that takes zero skill to use, requires timing and skill, just like in any other 2-D hack-n-slash games (one of the manliest genres out there), which leads to some of the most enjoyable beatings I can land on the good old doc with the help of the legendary Chipote Chillon Piko Piko hammer. [/fanboy mode off]

Also not ashamed to say that Sonic, Tails and Amy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> S/T/K in pretty much every area (character variety, visual design variety, gameplay variety, chemistry between the characters, etc), however Knux is alway welcome (as long as that does not mean excluding Amy from the team)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well, this will make me seem like a total nut to a few of you guys (Not like you don't see me as a nut anyways)... xD

Back somewhere around 4th or 5th grade, I was extremely OBSESSED over Tails. I even had fantasies of merging into him. Heck, even worse, I had a DREAM where I was turning into him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, this will make me seem like a total nut to a few of you guys (Not like you don't see me as a nut anyways)... xD

Back somewhere around 4th or 5th grade, I was extremely OBSESSED over Tails. I even had fantasies of merging into him. Heck, even worse, I had a DREAM where I was turning into him.

This is Sonic fanbase standard. Try harder

Edited by Raxz
  • Thumbs Up 6

I used to be an admin at a Tails fan forum called The Tails Realm. Believe me, I know obsessed Tails fans. They made even me feel a little uncomfortable at times. Raxz is right; try harder =P

I do have some fancharacters myself, but I only sporadically bring them out to play. I use them as dynamic testers, to see interactions of certain archetypes from different perspectives.

As for more mature stuff...eh, maybe later.

What an interesting topic.

After looking over a few of the responses here, I can't come up with anything too seemingly out of the ordinary about myself. I suppose something I don't willingly divulge to others in the know of Sonic is that I'm not very fond of Sonic Adventure 2. That game seems to hold a really special place in people's hearts so I tend to tiptoe around it if brought up. I actually like Sonic 06 better than it (I suppose that can be considered a shameful secret). Perhaps I just have some unjustifiable aversion to that game.. I don't know.

I can also empathize with the few of you that don't know many Sonic fans in some strange way. It's obvious I like Sonic and many people have commented on it since I would drink tea out of a Sonic mug, but I don't really expand on it. It simply ends by saying that I enjoy his games and his character. It's strange, it's like I like showing that I like Sonic... but I don't like talking about it! It's not that I care that people find out I like him, I find it to be a good ice breaker for the social situations I get into. Hm... it's mentally exhausting to ponder about it.

Oh, disregard what I said before;

Classic games are boring and don't appeal to me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So now we hate the classics? Ok then.

Anyway, while I do still love Sonic 3 & Knuckles as my favorite game in the series, its not because of nostalgia, its because it was a truly well put together game that pretty much defined Sonic for me; Lots of zones, creative level designs, rewards for special stages. That however doesn't mean I hate everything after 1994 though, and those who do need to grow the fuck up and move on, I understand most of the 3D games can't hold a candle to the classics, but people need to stop treating everything NOT 2D as an abomination, its fucking annoying and its probably the reason Sega are so damn timid when making games nowadays.

Also, the Sega Forums are the pits of hell(No offense to any of the sane members that are here), no seriously its like one of the worst possible places to be on the internet, raging fanboys, immature fangirls, people that have no grammar whatsoever, and an entire sub-forum dedicated almost exclusively to Sally hate, I mean its like the mods make no attempt to clean the site up at all.

Also not ashamed to say that Sonic, Tails and Amy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> S/T/K in pretty much every area (character variety, visual design variety, gameplay variety, chemistry between the characters, etc), however Knux is alway welcome (as long as that does not mean excluding Amy from the team)

MY only problem with those three is that there's no conflict at all, they're all best friends already, I mean with Knuckles around at least you know they're going to be SOME inner conflict, that's just my two cents though.

• Thumbs Up 2

-I prefer the Advance games over the classic trilogy anyday.

Oh, disregard what I said before;

Classic games are boring and don't appeal to me.

etc, etc...

0_o You modern people need to speak out more, and even the balance!

In all seriousness, I have nothing against the classics. Most of 'em are great. I think sometimes people come off as hating the classics simply because they're trying to defend the modern. Maybe Generations will merge this divide a bit.

0_o You modern people need to speak out more, and even the balance!

In all seriousness, I have nothing against the classics. Most of 'em are great. I think sometimes people come off as hating the classics simply because they're trying to defend the modern. Maybe Generations will merge this divide a bit.

ITs not that they hate the classics, they just prefer the Advance series to them is all.

ITs not that they hate the classics, they just prefer the Advance series to them is all.

I can't think for the life of me, why someone would prefer Advance 3 over Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Anyway, I guess one of the more controversial things I can speak upon on, is that I find the Handheld Sonic games hugely overrated and mostly forgetabble. I don't think they kept the Frnachise alive or something,but rather made me dissapointed in DIMPS on how they failed to recapture the specific elements of the Classic games.

I can't think for the life of me, why someone would prefer Advance 3 over Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Anyway, I guess one of the more controversial things I can speak upon on, is that I find the Handheld Sonic games hugely overrated and mostly forgetabble. I don't think they kept the Frnachise alive or something,but rather made me dissapointed in DIMPS on how they failed to recapture the specific elements of the Classic games.

Specifically Adv. 1 really.

Well like Skull leader: Most of them like it because it has Amy & Cream in it, and feel they provide a better experience than Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles because they don't rely on the same movesets, and gives the game more variety in terms of characters.

Edited by Shadic93

As of this day, you Cero are now my son. (had you posted how the Advance cast destroys the obsolete and lifeless "classic trio" you would had inherited my two kouhais)

*Tears of manly joy* I am honored dear father

Also they do technically, seeing as it takes what made the classic trio good and expands upon it to make an even better and more interesting team and I fully support the advance 5 as the main team of the franchise

Also on the matter of the SoA forums, sure its a hellhole of flamers and trolls but there's always those little shimmers of hope that glisten through the darkness such as amazing members like Theadvisor, and even when even your worst enemies will gleefully enjoy a bit of randomness with you (Even Hoggy enjoyed the Big appreciation thread)

Though sadly, I have a harder time with the mods than with the actual members, mainly cochrane

Edited by HyperGogeta
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Since when has more loops ever been an inherent positive? Loops do absolutely nothing for gameplay. =/