Awoo.

Anyone out there with shameful Sonic-related secrets?

My first Sonic OC was so unoriginal that I didn't even create it myself, I just pretended I did. It was Ashura, the "glitch" from Sonic 2. He was a demon, he had a black coat, he carried a katana, and he could grow bat wings. That's just the tip of the iceberg, but remembering that time makes me cringe, and I wish I would have dropped all my Sonic OCs way sooner than I did.

• Thumbs Up 2

Once I wrote a Sonic fanfiction when I was younger in which, in order to be more biologically accurate, I had Sonic eat a "chili earthworm dog" and his mom (from Archie) eat "a chili dog with little slugs on top".

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure how shameful this would be, but my whole life I've been a ginormous Sonic fan. That's not the shameful part. 

I remember throughout my grade school years, classmates I'm trying to make friends with ask things like "you play video games? What systems do you have?" This has happened a lot, let's think about high school. I go, oh I love video games, I have a Wii, a DS, a PS3... then I was stopped, and the kid I was talking to goes, "Oh you've got a PS3 that's awesome, what games do you have?" My responses change as I get older. Throughout the generations, Oh... um Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Generations, Sonic CD... "Do you have GTA?" No :/. "Uncharted?" Nope... "Call of Duty" Nah. I've got Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing though...

"Cool..." And that is that. Seemingly every year of my child life has been full of little moments like this. Even now, as an adult, I have new games to play that are still factory sealed, but I only feel like playing Sonic. I've been playing a lot of Sonic Advance 2 again, and before that I spent some of my weeks replaying Sonic Rush. Just today I bought Sonic Adventure for like the 3rd or 4th time, for PC this time around.  While I've got things like infamous, DK Tropical Freeze, Splatoon, games that I've spent good money on, and I'm just here playing a 15 year old game forever like... idk. I've played through all these Sonic games dozens of times, but I can't stop. It feels kind of weird spending my time doing that. But what can I say, it's what I love. I don't let it like, consume me or anything crazy. I don't play video games that much, but when I do, 90% of the time it's Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6

When I was little, I had no idea what animal Amy was. So many animals  I thought she was and it took me forever to realize she was a hedgehog just like Sonic, Shadow and Silver. Of course I didn't think that because she doesn't even "The Hedgehog" in her title.  

What to know what was really stupid of me? Any character that didn't have "The (Animal)" title such as Mephiles and Bean, I assumed it was an animal... Yes I thought a "rascal" was an animal and the animal I thought Amy was.

I've never beated SA2 in my entire life, hell I've never even completed a story! I was stuck on Eternal Engine and I can barely even play Dark's story because the stupid GameCube disc would keep acting up and couldn't be read.

I used to be too scared to go to the Dark Chao Garden until I finally had the courage to since my older sister and her friend were with me.

Also seeing Espio for the very time as a kid. I thought he was a girl because of his bright magenta color.

Edited by Dan-Dude

In high school I was sitting with some friends of mine in the cafeteria and they were having a discussion trying to figure out what animal Amy was. I told them she was a hedgehog, and they looked at me like I was the biggest idiot. They were like "no way she doesn't even look like a hedgehog." So they settled on, "She is a cat."

I was so heated. But it's alright, years later they still probably think she's a cat and I'm here knowing full well what she actually is. I win, I guess. Heh...

• Thumbs Up 7

I thought the only thing that determined what species a character was was their hairstyle. For a long time I basically said Amy was an echidna

• Thumbs Up 4

I've had more fun playing Sonic 06 than Generations. (Though I really feel no shame.)

Agreed, but this is due to the originality in 06 whereas in Generations it's just a nostalgic experience through stages we've been through already, and a short one at that. I'll never understand why SEGA cancelled DLC stage plans for that game, but when have they ever made sense?

Shame we never got Ice Cap Zone, Starlight Zone, and Lava Reef Zone in Generations...

I was a huge fan of all the love triangles in the Archie comics, as well as the 25 Years Later "Slice of Life" stories. Honestly there wasn't much I didn't like aboot the Archie comics...

• Thumbs Up 1

Bought Sonic CD on Steam and tried to play it but I kept thinking I'll do pretty terrible in the game so I don't touch it. I'm not good at playing the older Sonic games(Sonic 1-3&Knuckles). Just got to do it one of these days. Never played Sonic 06. Don't have the console to play it but I want to play it so bad.  

I also had no idea what animal Amy was, when I was younger. I always jumped back and forth from thinking Amy was an echidna, or a cat. I don't remember how I found out she was a hedgehog, but I remember being surprised when I found out she was a hedgehog. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Back when Sonic X (English version) aired on TV for the first time I thought they had made Tails a girl instead of a boy because of the voice. It's even funnier because at the time I had heard women voice young boys and knew the characters were boys, but it never hit me that that's what they had done for Tails. :lol: (I even think some of my friends thought Tails was a girl as well)

Back when Sonic X (English version) aired on TV for the first time I thought they had made Tails a girl instead of a boy because of the voice. It's even funnier because at the time I had heard women voice young boys and knew the characters were boys, but it never hit me that that's what they had done for Tails. :lol: (I even think some of my friends thought Tails was a girl as well)

I think it's safe to say that everyone has thought Tails to be a girl at some point or another. c:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I went through some odd phases, I used to be one of those "Sonic is supposed to be a jerk" people, I kind of meant in in the Jerk of a Heart of Gold sense, but still not really accurate to the games. I still kind of like it in an AU/interpetation sense but my favorite portrayal of Sonic now goes to SaTSR. OK He's kind of soft but he's still a cocky,sarcastic son of git who relentlessly kicks Erazors ass with a fuckton of smuggery.

When I was a teenager, I may or may not have spent the small hours of the night bawling over Sonic and Tails WAFF. It's badly written and I should feel bad.

I remember Sonic 06 was a guilty pleasure of mine. I actually enjoyed playing it a little bit. 

but Silver was always garbage

• Thumbs Up 1

When I was a teenager, I may or may not have spent the small hours of the night bawling over Sonic and Tails WAFF. It's badly written and I should feel bad.

WAFF? What's that?

despite my ragging on the games faults and I acknowledge it is a shitty game: Sonic 4 Episode 1 is one of my most favorite 2D Sonic games and I still play it everyday on xbox live. 

Part of the reason I'm so obsessed with and invested in the Sonic franchise is because of Tails. Why? Because he's me. Aside from absurd mechanical genius and two tailbones, we share insecurities, personality traits, quirks, desires, interests, and so many other things. I feel as though I'm living the events of Sonic stories through him.

How fucked up is that?

• Thumbs Up 3

50 minutes ago, JohnTheDreamer said:

Part of the reason I'm so obsessed with and invested in the Sonic franchise is because of Tails. Why? Because he's me. Aside from absurd mechanical genius and two tailbones, we share insecurities, personality traits, quirks, desires, interests, and so many other things. I feel as though I'm living the events of Sonic stories through him.

How fucked up is that?

Not at all; one of the reasons I like Amy Rose is down to shared personality traits.

Not that I'm necessarily proud of those traits, but they're there, and it's a disservice not to acknowledge them.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah...but I just realized something else...

Whenever I'm creating some storytelling content that involves Tails, it's basically self-insertion and ego stroking.

LOL I find that really funny.

To be fair, it's really hard not to do that with Tails. I've seen some pretty talented writers do that. He's probably one of the least consistley portrayed characters because of it.

• Thumbs Up 2