Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Special E3 Topic [[UPD: E3 Trailer | 3DS Gameplay] Go watched City Escape Videos]]

Woun

So, people were talking earlier about Classic Sonic's legs coming up to his belly.

Well, I've noticed other oddities.

How about Sonic's leg leaving his shoe?

560816_full.jpg

Ladders on the left here have no lower steps and the bottom balconies have staircase holes.

560812_full.jpg

Lamp posts in the road, instead of on the pavement and Sonic's shadow is ahead of him and in now way connected to him. With the shadowy area Sonic's in, there should be no shadow at that moment, right?

627224_20110607_screen009.jpg

Sonic's foot goes through the board.

627224_20110607_screen007.jpg

RUINED FOREVER!!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

.... That feet-through-board thing does annoy me a tad. Can you not just lock objects to one another properly in 3D? xD

Also Shadz, you forgot to mention his mouth is painted on instead of being properly rendered like a real game would do it.

Edited by Nepenthe

So, people were talking earlier about Classic Sonic's legs coming up to his belly.

Well, I've noticed other oddities.

How about Sonic's leg leaving his shoe?

560816_full.jpg

Ladders on the left here have no lower steps and the bottom balconies have staircase holes.

560812_full.jpg

Lamp posts in the road, instead of on the pavement and Sonic's shadow ahead of him and in now way connected to him. With the shadowy area Sonic's in, there should be no shadow at that moment, right?

627224_20110607_screen009.jpg

Sonic's foot goes through the board.

627224_20110607_screen007.jpg

RUINED FOREVER!!

LOL! Well, all these are common glitches...SEGA can easily fix them, hell, they have about 5 months left before release :)

LOL! Well, all these are common glitches...SEGA can easily fix them, hell, they have about 5 months left before release :)

With the shadowy area Sonic's in, there should be no shadow at that moment, right?

• Thumbs Up 3

Ho, ho! This one is actually a non issue. It is possible to cast a shadow while inside another shadow (not all shadows are created 100% black) whenever your dealing with multiple light sources. Since the sun is so huge, it is in a way a single entity of billions of light sources all hitting Sonic from different angles - thus shadow in shadow.

If 1 person out there cared to know that, then I did my job.

....And I played Card Games and missed this? DAMN IT YUGIOH YOU've Taken my soul.

Saw City Esacpe.......

south-park-i-just-came.jpg

Can't believe I missed this. Speed boosters! (uh, sensible ones might I add)

speedboostersclassicstyle.png

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can't believe I missed this. Speed boosters! (uh, sensible ones might I add)

speedboostersclassicstyle.png

LOL! The first Speed booster for Classic Sonic...unlike Sonic 4 where you see these things every 2 seconds!!

I'm re-watching the video again and I'm surprised to see how much the Gamespot host loves the truck! It's pretty hilarious...the truck is my favorite character now :D

Sonic Generations is just amazing...Super Mario 3D has nothing on this!!!!! NOTHING!!!! Then again, comparing a HD game to a 3DS game is a bit silly, but Super Mario 3D plays a lot like Galaxy so...

Edited by KrazyBean14

MY HEAD WOULD EXPLODE! AND THEN THE EXPLOSION WOULD EXPLODE!

Obligatory MLPFiM reference GO!

"Can you do that? Can you explode twice?"

Now that is out of the way, I completely agree with your post black Spy. One hundred percent! That was an enjoyable read.

Now that is out of the way, I completely agree with your post black Spy. One hundred percent! That was an enjoyable read.

Agreed.

To be fair, I was expecting Generations 3DS to be neck and neck with Super Mario 3DS in terms of visuals and stuff, kinda like Colors, but obviously dumbed down just a little bit.

Edited by Inferno

Actually, that was more of a TTGL reference. But sure why not.

• Thumbs Up 3

Actually, that was more of a TTGL reference. But sure why not.

No, the words in "" in my post was actually the reference. I didn't even know what you said was a reference. :lol:

Watches City Escape footage.

Sega:

protip: Higgins = Sega

That was.... THE. MOST. AMAZING MASTERPIECE OF LEVEL DESIGN, VARIETY, SHEER AWESOMENESS, AND ABSOLUTE GENIUS AND CREATIVITY I'VE EVER SEEN IN A SONIC GAME.

NOT EXAGGERATED IN ANY WAY. Sega, do you know what you've done?

YOU'VE OFFICIALLY TRUMPED THE GENESIS GAMES.

Yes, you have.

First the modern gameplay, because there's just too much to say:

To start off, the boarding section at the beginning. There are obstacles, alternate routes galore, and so many chances for cool tricks. Shortcuts, enemies, grindrails, ramps that you can trick off of. Every second you can see an ramp or an alternate route. Thoroughly impressed, Sonic leaped off his board and onto the streets in pure cinematic style. As I go over the footage again I realize there is nary a SINGLE instance for a GOOD WHILE where Sonic level design DOES NOT ENCOURAGE BOOSTING. There are THINGS to jump over, GEOGRAPHY, it looks like he's running through a REAL CITY rather than a collection of narrow hallways. And the space. There's SO much space! There's actual WIDTH! Not even a SINGLE narrow corridor, a huge open area and wide paths! THANK you Sega for doing this! For FINALLY relieving Sonic of cramped hallways, and for giving us a 3D section that ISN'T straight up boosting! The 2D section also fills me with joy. Lots of alternate routes and altering paths, it makes me want to actually EXPLORE to find these nooks and crannies and see just how many ways there are through this small section. Then there's the truck. HOL-LEE-SHIT! CROWNING MOMENT OF AWESOME! Sega simply not content with having boost happy Sonic run from a giant truck just like in SA2, THE DAMN THINGS SPROUTS SAWBLADES! Nevermind the fact that the Unleashed gameplay and the truck chase just OOZE with PURE INTENSE AWESOME. This alone would've made this stage absolutely perfect, but then Sega cranks the awesome up to eleven, THE THINK SPROUTS JETS, FLIES THROUGH THE AIR AND STARTS RIDING ALONG A MOTHERFUCKING WALL! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SONIC GOES BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE! The vid ended right there because if my eyes were exposed to anymore of it, MY HEAD WOULD EXPLODE! AND THEN THE EXPLOSION WOULD EXPLODE!

That was nothing short of ORGASMIC!

Sonic Generations = best platformer of e3(or maybe)

THE BEST PLATFORMER OF THE YEAR!!!!! :D

*watches clip*

*watches clip again*

O.O

*post "I came" meme pic here*

Okay, I gotta break this down. Since the gameplay has been adequately explained and praised thoroughly enough, I'm just gonna post some pros and cons I have.

MODERN

Pros:

-The drift is back, but it's smartly mapped to the right trigger button rather than the circle button. Overall, the control scheme seems like perfection.

-The level design is fucking massive. The branching pathways and massive layouts would make Super Mario Galaxy 2 blush.

-The level design also is well-tempered. Like the Classic games, the layout knows when to encourage the boost and when not to. Hell, in some sections, if you boost, you die; you gotta slow down there bucko.

-The whole level looks like a honest-to-God remake of City Escape, with some Modern twists thrown in. The rising stairwell stacked with GUN robots to the streetboarding intro to the truck chase, it looks just like I remember, BUT with new segments mixed in. The saw blades are a perfect way to make the over-the-top truck chasing scene even MORE over-the-top.

-The streeboarding gameplay looks very well-done. They melded it perfectly with the Sonic Unleashed-style gameplay. Unlike Sonic 2006, it actually looks really fun, and doesn't piss all over the original City Escape's streetboarding segment.

Cons:

-ICANTHEARTHEFUCKINGMUSICCAUSEPEOPLEWERETALKINGARNEGEF

Classic

Pros:

-Modern touches, such as grind rails, have been perfectly integrated into the classic Sonic experience flawlessly. Surprisingly, seeing Classic Sonic "Grind" made me smile, rather than rage. Good job Sonic Team.

-Moments where Classic Sonic is getting chased by the truck reminded me of the SA2 truck chasing scene even better than the Modern incarnation, perhaps due to the lack of sawblades or boosting. This holds true to other segments of the level as well.

-The level layout changing based on the truck could offer up a lot of replayability, especially considering that red rings will be returning in the game. It also seems intuitive; I've never heard of a Sonic level being changed so drastically under those kind of conditions.

-Omochao.

Cons:

-Again, ICANTHEARTHEFUCKINGMUSICCAUSEPEOPLEWERETALKINGARNEGEF

-The truck could honestly break the level. It appears way too often, messing with the level just a bit too much for my liking. The less we see of it, the more threatening it is; from what I've seen, it seems like the truck's being driven by Amy. Not to mention you can only "alter" the level with it so many times before it gets annoying.

-Omochao.

Honestly, I'm stoked. It looks freaking beautiful, and my concerns keep dwindling. I just hope each character feels weighted by their proper physics in the final copy, and Modern Sonic doesn't control like buttered soap on ice in 3D.

• Thumbs Up 5

If everyone still had all their rep points for the day, Black Spy's post could've probably reached 30.

*reps ran out ._.*

• Thumbs Up 1

Loving this new City Escape. It may put the original to shame, though it's too early to judge that now.

Watches City Escape footage.

Sega:

protip: Higgins = Sega

That was.... THE. MOST. AMAZING MASTERPIECE OF LEVEL DESIGN, VARIETY, SHEER AWESOMENESS, AND ABSOLUTE GENIUS AND CREATIVITY I'VE EVER SEEN IN A SONIC GAME.

NOT EXAGGERATED IN ANY WAY. Sega, do you know what you've done?

YOU'VE OFFICIALLY TRUMPED THE GENESIS GAMES.

Yes, you have.

First the modern gameplay, because there's just too much to say:

To start off, the boarding section at the beginning. There are obstacles, alternate routes galore, and so many chances for cool tricks. Shortcuts, enemies, grindrails, ramps that you can trick off of. Every second you can see an ramp or an alternate route. Thoroughly impressed, Sonic leaped off his board and onto the streets in pure cinematic style. As I go over the footage again I realize there is nary a SINGLE instance for a GOOD WHILE where Sonic level design DOES NOT ENCOURAGE BOOSTING. There are THINGS to jump over, GEOGRAPHY, it looks like he's running through a REAL CITY rather than a collection of narrow hallways. And the space. There's SO much space! There's actual WIDTH! Not even a SINGLE narrow corridor, a huge open area and wide paths! THANK you Sega for doing this! For FINALLY relieving Sonic of cramped hallways, and for giving us a 3D section that ISN'T straight up boosting! The 2D section also fills me with joy. Lots of alternate routes and altering paths, it makes me want to actually EXPLORE to find these nooks and crannies and see just how many ways there are through this small section. Then there's the truck. HOL-LEE-SHIT! CROWNING MOMENT OF AWESOME! Sega simply not content with having boost happy Sonic run from a giant truck just like in SA2, THE DAMN THINGS SPROUTS SAWBLADES! Nevermind the fact that the Unleashed gameplay and the truck chase just OOZE with PURE INTENSE AWESOME. This alone would've made this stage absolutely perfect, but then Sega cranks the awesome up to eleven, THE THINK SPROUTS JETS, FLIES THROUGH THE AIR AND STARTS RIDING ALONG A MOTHERFUCKING WALL! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SONIC GOES BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE! The vid ended right there because if my eyes were exposed to anymore of it, MY HEAD WOULD EXPLODE! AND THEN THE EXPLOSION WOULD EXPLODE!

That was nothing short of ORGASMIC!

Then comes the Classic gameplay:

Sega KNOWS what they're doing! Sonic Team, you CAN make good Sonic games. I KNEW you were better than what we'd seen before, and now you've finally blossomed and created this. The platforming is again, more geography and no floating squares in the middle of a the sky. Some cute rolling on rails and down rooftops. Watching it reminds me what makes GOOD Sonic level design. Platforming that's also speedy and flowing. You still felt fast. This IS Genesis level design, this IS Genesis gameplay, not even having time to mention that the physics are PERFECT. Then the truck comes, but Sega knows that simply having a 2D truck chasing scene was both repetitive and just not good enough. The truck goes into the background, at first I think it was just going to stalk you in the background, but then the things makes a sharp turn and comes barreling at Sonic, destroying the platforms. The guy in the video says that this is essentially a race against the truck, if you don't get over the platforms before the truck destroys them, it forces you to take a different route. CHALLENGE. SPEED. SPEED CHALLENGES! Pressuring the player to go fast so they don't get hit by the truck! But not getting past the platforms in time forces you to go down an alternate path! This is the kind of intensity and encouragement of speed that makes Sonic level design! This isn't your Mario's 'take your time and take each platform at a time' THIS IS GET YO ASS MOVING THERE'S A TRUCK BARRELING TOWARDS YOU SONIC PLATFORMING! It's COOL! It's CHALLENGING! IT'S SPEEDY! THIS. IS THE SPIRIT OF SONIC GAMES! RIGHT HERE! It get's even better, as you go down some more city streets, pop open a skateboard powerup (MORE OF THIS PLZ SEGA) and go speed through some higher up, fast routes as opposed to the lower routes that are more platform heavy, and in this case, vulnerable to the wrath of the truck. And then there's that one part where you have to ascend these building foundations as the truck u-turns back and forth into them, gradually breaking parts of it away. They managed to keep the platforming, but not make it feel like something out a Mario game like Colors, there's still lots of urgency and a need for speed! And that's it! One more brief chase and act cleared.

Sega, I was simply content with Green Hill. Wasn't anything special, but still looked like lots of fun. But THIS. Sega, take note, THIS IS HOW YOU DESIGN A LEVEL IN A SONIC GAMES! Plain and simple. Not a SINGLE instance of boost spam, FULL of creativity and platforming, but still fast-paced, still Sonic. There is not a SINGLE way you could improve either act of this level.

If the rest of the game shows this much effort, THIS much awesome level design, tthen I will for the first time TRULY believe, without a doubt in my mind,

SONIC IS BACK BAYBEE!!!

And not just back as in a good game back, this level alone encompasses what made the Genesis games so awesome AND TAKES IT THAT ONE STEP FORWARD! Rather than just being ok, or not bad, or passable, this level takes it a step beyond, this level goes beyond the Genesis games, this game could very well be the game that finally tops the Genesis games.

BRAVO! BRAVO!

You are absolutely right, JESUS CHRIST.

Oh my god, this... This means more awesomeness will be available in additional Sonic games, right? Hopefully?

If everyone still had all their rep points for the day, Black Spy's post could've probably reached 30.

*reps ran out ._.*

Mine spontaneously came back. :lol: