Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Special E3 Topic [[UPD: E3 Trailer | 3DS Gameplay] Go watched City Escape Videos]]

Woun

Yeah but honostly I think I have the right to complain about this and not be rediculed about this. I don't care about the moder ngameplay, this game sells itself to me with it's classic gameplay and I sure the fuck want it to be as perfect as possible. You guys can defend whatever you want, but you need people like us, so we can point our fucking finger and say those are flawed choices.

Keep the modern features to modern sonic

I rest my case

scarface2om.jpg

Again rails.

Where is your argument now?

He'll simply say that he happens to like it, so that means it's good for everyone. Thank the great classic fanboy in the sky we have their wondrous finger to point, otherwise us modern idiots wouldn't know our left from our right!

Edited by Indigo Rush

Again rails.

Where is your argument now?

What about rails? THey're probably just a level gimmick that would be perfectly fine in the classics and besides it was just a small portion of what? 5%

What about rails? THey're probably just a level gimmick that would be perfectly fine in the classics and besides it was just a small portion of what? 5%

Just like losing a few of your rings at a time is a small portion of the experience?

Edited by Inferno

While not forget to say.

That's what I recently saw from Sonic Generations, in general:

155rr.png

Holy Shit, YOSH!

• Thumbs Up 1

I played the originals in the early 90s as well, you know.

So did I, but having played the classics during their original time of release is not enough. Every single ideal must be preserved as accurately as possible, otherwise it's fucked up and any defense of it is a lowering of your standards.

Frankly, losing all of your rings only really amps up the difficulty if the "rings bounce everywhere" system is removed, but considering you get a nice sizable portion of them hopping around all over the place when the one-hit system comes into play, it should hardly matter to a seasoned Sonic player like most of the people here. At most, getting hit at this point in our game-playing lifespans should only be an annoying distraction, not some ultimate game-changer. It is also not the only way to strengthen the difficulty in the first place.

Just like losing a few of your rings at a time is a small portion of the experience?

That's what I was thinking, actually. Not an issue at all. You won't even think about it when you're playing it.

Frankly, losing all of your rings only really amps up the difficulty if the "rings bounce everywhere" system is removed, but considering you get a nice sizable portion of them hopping around all over the place when the one-hit system comes into play, it should hardly matter to a seasoned Sonic player like most of the people here. At most, getting hit at this point in our game-playing lifespans should only be an annoying distraction, not some ultimate game-changer. It is also not the only way to strengthen the difficulty in the first place.

Thank you for explaining this to me in a respectable way and not acting like a douchebag about it. I still don't see it as a serious issue, but I suppose I can see what difference it can make.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Thank you for explaining this to me in a respectable way and not acting like a douchebag about it. I still don't see it as a serious issue, but I suppose I can see what difference it can make.

No problem, but I was actually saying that it hardly makes a difference at all, at least to me. xD Seasoned Sonic players like us will always be able to reliably recover rings after a normal obstacle collision, pretty much rendering most obstacles nearly irrelevant. Any situation where it's difficult to do that is a situation where we're getting absolutely pounded and one where the ring system wouldn't matter in the overall outcome of whether or not we make it through some bit of level design alive; I mean, be honest, who here thinks Eggmanland would be any different with a different ring system? Any hands?...... Yeeeaaaaah. xD

It was a very novel recovery system at the time, but I myself can't even imagine why it's that important to the overall experience anymore.

Edited by Nepenthe

No problem, but I was actually saying that it hardly makes a difference at all, at least to me. xD Seasoned Sonic players like us will always be able to reliably recover rings after a normal obstacle collision, pretty much rendering most obstacles nearly irrelevant. Any situation where it's difficult to do that is a situation where we're getting absolutely pounded and one where the ring system wouldn't matter in the overall outcome of whether or not we make it through some bit of level design alive; I mean, be honest, who here thinks Eggmanland would be any different with a different ring system? Any hands?...... Yeeeaaaaah. xD

It was a very novel recovery system at the time, but I myself can't even imagine why it's that important to the overall experience anymore.

Score attacking, emblem collection, shopping and missions? Rings are good for all of those, and it'd be nice to keep a lot of them by the end of the level.

I dunno, just seeing 500 rings in my counter is pretty satisfying to me. Makes me feel like a boss. XD

No it's not. The mechanic plays part throughout the whole game. Imagine the later stages to actually become harder but held back by this new modern ringloss which will make it feel less of a struggle than back in the days. It's not just small portion, just like the physics they play part throughout the whole game.

@Nepenthe

But they do bounce don't they? You cannot see it well in the classic gameplay as everything goes instantly to the floor but in the modern gameplay they sure bounced. What does it matter anyway, it's about the fact that he would've had 0 rings in that place and actually feel like he would lose if he didn't pick up a ring in his way.

The best thing of all is that the game looks designed for the all ring loss. Rings aren't placed everywhere and there are alot enemies and hazards that try to stop you. We know that enemies mean jack shit in the modern gameplay but that doesn't mean the classic gameplay should be the same. Don't forget, this game was supposed to cater to all fans and the ringloss is an essential part of the classic experience.

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 2

OK guys, I've just watched the gameplay of City Escape. Well..

WOW! Just WOW! No, that's not World Of Warcraft.)) I mean, I'm stunned! I don't really care about Classic Sonic gameplay (which also looked great), but Modern Sonic.. Who gives a shit about Modern Sonic when we've got TEH G.U.N. KILLER TRUCK WITH THE SAW BLADES OF DEATH?! And when it flew up... HOLY!... I was sitting with my mouth open. Yeah, I'd like to know what weed Sonicteam were smoking, but it's that case when the weed did the right thing! Very creative, Sonicteam!

Da-a-amn.. I now want to see that G.U.N. Truck in every one new Sonic game xD!

P.S. And I liked the gameplay of Modern Sonic as a whole very much!

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

No it's not. The mechanic plays part throughout the whole game. Imagine the later stages to actually become harder but held back by this new modern ringloss which will make it feel less of a struggle than back in the days. It's not just small portion, just like the physics they play part throughout the whole game.

I still think it's not that big a deal and it's being blown up to extremes, but I do see where you're coming from anyway. Eh.

Don't forget, this game was supposed to cater to all fans

This is coming from someone who didn't want me to have mah Unleashed stage in the game. ;~;

Another modern sonic video. He gets a one up when he reaches 100 rings AND he does not boost except like once through out the whole level. One of the better players I've seen so far.

And another Classic sonic area. More like a speed run. The guy didn't seem like he was happy with this version.

Both vids have sonic ending with a B rank.

Edited by Eternal Awesomeness

Score attacking, emblem collection, shopping and missions? Rings are good for all of those, and it'd be nice to keep a lot of them by the end of the level.

I dunno, just seeing 500 rings in my counter is pretty satisfying to me. Makes me feel like a boss. XD

xD I thought we were just talking about the system in terms of general play.

Although, aren't the scoring parameters generally formatted appropriately? Like, if there's a Sonic game with a partial-loss system, its ring requirement is going to be staggeringly high which theoretically balances the difficulty, making it no less easier to get a high ring score than a game with a full-loss system.

And doesn't it make you feel like a boss? I wish I could find my copy of Unleashed again. X.x

@ Jaouad: Under the advantage of hindsight, the enemies in classic Sonic games aren't all that threatening either. Just Spindash or roll and you're pretty much invincible against everything except for cheaply-placed wall spikes or pits, same as with the boost. The ring system further reduces the threat. You got hit? Not a problem-- Just grab another ring, just one, of the twenty that are bouncing around you in close proximity, and you are back to your near-invincible status again. This is also ignoring the fact that the ring system is not the only thing that influences difficulty. I once again point to Eggmanland: Having a different ring system wouldn't have changed the difficulty of that endeavor to any measurable degree.

And the game is catering to all fans. Are you really about to argue that Sonic Team's effort is now completely useless because a simple protection system protects you just a little bit more than it used to? Honestly. You're being unreasonable.

Edited by Nepenthe

E3 2011 - Sonic Generations: Gameplay 3DS (Act 1| Act 2| Boss):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9jwl6MwKc

Thanks, Woun!

They've basically copy and pasted Classic Sonic's Green Hill from the original Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic 1? Disappointing. At least the Modern Sonic section and the boss look fun.

I stood by when Sega axed the SOAP shoes, but I won't stand for retarded forms of ring loss. That's one pre-order down the drain. Screw you, Sega! You and all of your families! >:(

You're being sarcastic...right?

Oh you guys actually really like not losing all rings? So if a franchise is allready kind of easy(for experienced players) why not even make it more easy right?

What is it with sonicfans and not liking a challenge? Is trial and error the only difficulty you guys know?

They should put up original mode where you lose all your rings, and an hardcore mode where you can't have any rings.

Problem solved. Of course it's good if they put up as much options as possible ie original music track or maybe even putting up your own challenges like get 100 rings in this amount of given time.

Since in my opinion sonic games are all about replay value and not the length of the campaign, something that they failed to understand when they created sonic unleashed. But ironically enough they did successfully understand that when they created sonic and the secret rings.

• Thumbs Up 1

They should put up original mode where you lose all your rings, and an hardcore mode where you can't have any rings.

Or you could not get hit at all....

• Thumbs Up 2

So the Director of this worked on these:

Sonic Riders (2006) — Level Designer, Game Mode Designer, Scenario Writer, Story Board Designer, Recording Coordinator

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) — Game Designer

The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (2007) — Planner

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (2008) — Game System Designer, Story Plotter, Story Board Designer

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (2009) — Game Designer

His orgin came from Sonic Riders, so he's probably from United Game Artists, so that's good...

BUT

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

SO what?

You have already seen both Green hill and City escape. What's wrong with them design wise, huh?

So the Director of this worked on these:

His orgin came from Sonic Riders, so he's probably from United Game Artists, so that's good...

BUT

Worries are starting to escalate again -_-

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1