Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Special E3 Topic [[UPD: E3 Trailer | 3DS Gameplay] Go watched City Escape Videos]]

Woun

Skipped over this post before, but Black Spy's post pointed it out to me.

Say what? Really, what? What changes have they made to the stage? C.Sonic spends more of his times on the rooftops and part of the stage look like construction zones for him. Is that what you're on about? The only other change is the art style no longer being realistic like it was in SA2 but rather it's more cartoony (while still maintaining it's realist vibe) like Unleashed.

Cartoony...? What are you talking about...? This looks -FAR- more realistic than the original City Escape. It actually looks like a REAL city, with perhaps a few adjustments such as the truck having all kinds of sawblades... but those aren't really "cartoony," either... The loops? The original City Escape had those, too... It doesn't even look all that cartoony aesthetically... Granted, its not Sonic 06-style realism, but it still doesn't look all that cartoony, either.

So, anybody know what time this IGN thing is going on tonight?

After 3 hours. Wait.
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's the exact same as Sonic Adventure 2 did it, but with better resolution and global illumination.

For the record, background textures they used were actual photographs of San Fransisco. :P

Edited by Indigo Rush

Cartoony...? What are you talking about...? This looks -FAR- more realistic than the original City Escape. It actually looks like a REAL city, with perhaps a few adjustments such as the truck having all kinds of sawblades... but those aren't really "cartoony," either... The loops? The original City Escape had those, too... It doesn't even look all that cartoony aesthetically... Granted, its not Sonic 06-style realism, but it still doesn't look all that cartoony, either.

I think a major difference is that it's just 100% more vibrant.

Did I just hear fucking Endless Mine?! OH MY GOD, BADASS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WHKmUrAIgc

Nipped this from Retro.

XD XD XD Wait til you get to the truck.

Someone should've already told the driver that that isn't the hedgehog he's looking for...

• Thumbs Up 1

Someone should've already told the driver that that isn't the hedgehog he's looking for...

I thought we established that Nicochi was the driver and wanted Modern Sonic dead. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

A few previews. What else have you got, folks?

Destructoid Preview

While all the strengths of the classic gameplay are intact, the inherent weaknesses of the modern gameplay are all too intact. Even in the demo of Green Hill Zone, I had Sonic clip through a platform and fall to his death. Meanwhile, in the behind-closed-doors preview level of City Escape, the demonstrator -- who had likely been playing the game all day -- didn't know what he was doing some of the time, disoriented by the speed and camera and not knowing where to go.

From my current perspective, Generations still looks more promising than recent retail titles. Even if every 3D section was awful, it seems Sonic Team is genuinely crafting great 2D levels, so there's some guaranteed fun whether or not you enjoy Sonic's modern iterations.

I still never have these clipping through floors problems, and I really want to know why the 3D sections are awful. Really. Ugh.

PC Mag

IGN

Sonic Generations wasn't running as smoothly as it should, but there's still time for the developers to polish the experience and get it to the place Sonic fans expect.

Unleashed was in a simlar situation at E3, and by release it was improved a lot. A number of previews aren't taking kindly o the 3D effects though, which are apparently making the game run worse.

Destructoid Preview

I still never have these clipping through floors problems, and I really want to know why the 3D sections are awful. Really. Ugh.

*Reads "Jim Sterling"* *Exits*

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 7

Point missed. I'm talking graphics/visuals wise. And I said "more cartoony" not "it is cartoony". Everything uses brighter textures and more vibrant colours with far fess graininess. It's not cartoony (I wouldn't even say GHZ is cartoony) but it's more so than SA2. It's the Unleashed art style where simpler textures and bright colours are used to make the world look far more like an adaptation of real life than a carbon copy.

I thought we established that Nicochi was the driver and wanted Modern Sonic dead. :P

And now he wants to KILL Classic Sonic for committing the ultimate sin of teaming up with his "ugly" Modern counterpart and daring to co-exist with him.

*GASP*

Destructoid Preview

"Jim Sterling."

Stopped reading the troll's preview right there.

Edited by Attitude Adjustment

So the Director of this worked on these:

His orgin came from Sonic Riders, so he's probably from United Game Artists, so that's good...

BUT

In regards to this, Sonic the Hedgehog had a lot of game designers. Hiroshi Miyamoto wasn't even a chief game designer for that game anyways, so that's hardly anything to worry about.

Sonic the Hedgehog game designers

• Chief Game Designers: Shun Nakamura, Atsushi Kanno
  • Game Designers: Hiroshi Miyamoto, Takao Hirabayashi, Masayuki Inoue, Takako Nagase, Makoto Hirata, Daisuke Shimizu

• Thumbs Up 1

Hold on, the bastard is citing a glitch as an inherant weakness?

What?

Fuck the bastard. Really.

EDIT:

The comments haven't even payed attention to the glitch. I'm assuming they have a brain and realised that a falling through the floor glitch isn't an inherant gameplay weakness. Though I bet some retard will prove me wrong.

Edited by Scar

*Reads "Jim Sterling"* *Exits*

To be fair to Jim, he does say that the 3D gameplay is still potentially exhilarating and fun, he's just highlighting the potential chinks in the armour. I mean, potential death-glitches and camera faults are problems that have (or at least, were) associated with many of the 3D games of the past decade.

Edited by Jaymeister

That...that would explain a lot.

That...that would explain a lot.

But he's after Classic Sonic as well!

To be fair to Jim, he does say that the 3D gameplay is still potentially exhilarating and fun, he's just highlighting the potential chinks in the armour.

After his Colours review I don't take anything he says or any other reviewers say about Sonic seriously anymore. Honestly after his Colours review I don't trust what he says about Sonic games and I don't give a crap about what he things.

He was positive about Colours too. Guess what happened? 4.5. Granted I do love the rivalry between him and SEGA.

EDIT: I saw your edit, but I still do not trust what he says whatsoever.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, but he doesn't get the chainsaws out when chasing Classic Sonic. See? It is Nicochi. He's just stalking classic Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

The other one didn't have sawblades. I assume that GUN was after Classic Sonic, thinking he was Shadow, and Nicochi used their big rigger with all the weapons to take out Modern Sonic in the meantime.

To be fair to Jim, he does say that the 3D gameplay is still potentially exhilarating and fun, he's just highlighting the potential chinks in the armour. I mean, potential death-glitches and camera faults are problems that have (or at least, were) associated with many of the 3D games of the past decade.

"There was one glitch and a few camera problems during the demonstration. The gameplay was also fast and exhilarating. Therefore, the whole of modern Sonic is just plain awful."

That's a conclusion I can get behind!

• Thumbs Up 4

Who's Nicochi?

• Thumbs Up 1

Who's Nicochi?

After his Colours review I don't take anything he says or any other reviewers say about Sonic seriously anymore. Honestly after his Colours review I don't trust what he says about Sonic games and I don't give a crap about what he things.

He was positive about Colours too. Guess what happened? 4.5. Granted I do love the rivalry between him and SEGA.

EDIT: I saw your edit, but I still do not trust what he says whatsoever.