Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Special E3 Topic [[UPD: E3 Trailer | 3DS Gameplay] Go watched City Escape Videos]]

Woun

People don't want emerald coast because we have the Mecha Fish chase in Green Hill.

Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if all of M.Sonic's levels has a chase thrown in, even if the original level had no such chase, like Green Hill.

People don't casually stereotype the city levels because they usually aren't game starters and thus playing off an extremely iconic gaming trope in general. It's GHZ's level of familiarity that allows easy classification of other tropical levels as being nothing but the obligatory Sonic game opening, hence why Emerald Coast is easier to casually dismiss than Rooftop Run is in comparison to City Escape, although I see your point.

But frankly, a lot of people didn't want Rooftop Run simply because of City Escape, (like me *waves bye to Jungle Joyride*). In fact, there's a group of people who don't want Unleashed included at all.

I agree with you on another thing, though: The general philosophy of Generations is certainly fan favoritism. However, I don't think it's the only one. It'd be unwise to ignore the fact that the Sonic series has always used a wide range of environments, and that in and of itself is an iconic tradition. If every fan favorite amounted to city or tropical levels, it would be a rather drab celebration, hence why that prior list got so much heat. Getting in as many tropes as possible is as utmost a responsibility as making sure those tropes are some of the most nostalgic.

Most definitely, I agree with this. You can include levels that are favorites and still have vast variety. That's kind of what irks me about Rooftop Run's inclusion, actually; they could have included Eggmanland, the infamously hard level of the series, and made it the obligatory Egg-base level.

I'm just approaching this logically and with reason... Red Mountain would make sense from a variety standpoint, but not a nostalgic one. Emerald Coast can make a lot of sense for both if they're willing to take some artistic licensing with it and adding a couple underwater sections to make it the game's "water level." That's just an example, though.

We know what Generations is striving to be, and I suppose there's no sure way for us to know what'll be in until it comes out, but I still stand by the opinion that Emerald Coast should be the representing level of Sonic Adventure, not just because it's well known and it can be expanded into a water level, but because that level is the first we ever saw Sonic step into a full 3D action adventure. I mean, that's an unforgettable moment in the series history, and Emerald Coast is definitive of the best of Sonic's 3D escapades in the late 90s and early 21st century.

I see Green Hill Zone as it's own trope, because so many levels are modeled after it; Emerald Hill, Neo Green Hill, Splash Hill, (to an extent) Seaside Hill, Forest Falls, Sunset Hill, Leaf Forest, and Sunset Forest, all tropical zones without an abundance of sand (minus Seaside Hill) orcas, briny oceans and giant stone formations.

The beach level is it's own as well, with Emerald Coast, Wave Ocean (to an extent) Seaside Hill, and the first part of Jungle Joyride. It's separable enough to warrant it's own trope and variable enough to stand out next to Green Hill.

That's just how I see it, anyway. I'm thinking pretty far outside the item box here. I'm seeing so many possibilities for both Sonic's, the classic orca chase for M. Sonic, C. Sonic surfing on a dolphin, C. Sonic climbing up a giant lighthouse, M. Sonic dashing across the ocean, both Sonic's going underwater to see many kinds of fish and badniks, and giant colorful coral reefs to look at while dashing through the level.

It just seems like a shame to let this important and nostalgic level go because it happens to have some sun, some palm trees and have water around it.

People don't want emerald coast because we have the Mecha Fish chase in Green Hill.

Then they'll be clever with it. >:I

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

I read that more as "which shields do you mean?". It was a playful response.

Why would you even need shields if u don't lose all rings anyway. Elemental shields would be still nice though

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 5

Why would you even need shields if u don't lose all rings anyway.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well here we go with something better to talk about than the random stage converation.

So what the heck is that?

YouTube-E32011IGNLiveSonicGenerations-GoogleChrome_2011-06-10_00-00-21.png

And for anyone who didn't see this because they were busy, Sonic stuck on a speed booster. :lol:

YouTube-E32011IGNLiveSonicGenerations-GoogleChrome_2011-06-10_00-01-40.png

And just because I liked the questions the guy was asking but couldn't really stay um you know, here is what I snatched. She makes up for the glitch. :lol:

BLONDE.png

• Thumbs Up 1

That's like, the most contradictory line of words I've read today.

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why would you need shields if you don't lose all rings anyway?

Edited by Dissident

We got MIGHTY and Ray folks....oh gawd the FAN SERVICE :V

lol-3.png

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 2

We've gone over this. It doesn't make that much of a difference. Why were shields even needed in the classics anyway? ... Oh wait, they weren't. You could easily get at least one ring back almost every time you took damage. The elemental shields implemented new gameplay elements that mixed things up a bit and kept gameplay fresh. People want those, and they would serve that purpose well here. Normal shields never served any purpose other than to keep you from losing the rings you would have needed to go Super or enter a special stage. The new ring system would drop you under 50 rings as well anyway, which would prevent you from going Super. On top of that, rings have a large influence on score, and thanks to the ranking system, they become arguably more important than they ever were. For this reason, shields are needed.

I understand you're miffed about them not losing all your rings after taking damage, but you're just bitching about it at this point. Stop.

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just one cyborg whale? Am I the only one who remembers that whales live in pods?

That's right-- We need an entire pod of those mugs, all of them using whale strategy and shit to knock you out and into the water.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought badniks were pretty much the main provider of not-cheap deaths.

Most of the threatening badniks in the old games were threatening precisely because they were cheap (via placement or ability). Shellcracker and Slicer appeared right where you didn't want them to, and that's why both are so fondly remembered today.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fondly? Metropolis is hated because of those cheap bastards.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

The only way that whale will seal it's level of badassness if it uses some sort of jetboosters to fly out of the water and chase Sonic on land after the end of the water chase, and then crash into a bridge pillar LOL.

Edited by Wolfy
  • Thumbs Up 2

I was gonna put rocket launchers on my whale but I got lazy at the last minute. :P

We're just as messed up in the head as Sonic team.

I'll do you one better: Why can't the whales do an Aquaman and call all of the sea creatures in a united effort to have some hedgehog stew? Seagulls, skuas, hawks, and other birds of prey take the air, penguins get the land (unfortunately), and the sharks and seals and dolphins take up the front guard in the water. The entire beach is then a warzone.

The only way that whale will seal it's level of badassness if it uses some sort of jetboosters to fly out of the water and chase Sonic on land after the end of the water chase, and then crash into a bridge pillar LOL.

The whale should just come out of nowhere when you're not even anywhere near the water. Just for shits and giggles.

Wow we need something better to talk about. Whales attacking the Sonics? Damn.

Let me know when something interesting comes up. Like new info or more gameplay. Til then I'm leaving this spam fest.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2

This is Emerald Coast as you truly imagined it.

tropicalfever0000.jpg

Where are the chain saw?

Where are the rockets?

Where are the lazers?

Where is Big?

Where are the- OMG the gameplay & graphics are amazing!

+Rep dude.

I agree with Eternal. This is getting out of hand and making it harder to find actual information.

I guess we did kinda get carried away, though, we still got some great lol-pics out of it. :P

...What were we talking about before the whale talk started again?