Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Special E3 Topic [[UPD: E3 Trailer | 3DS Gameplay] Go watched City Escape Videos]]

Woun

@ Scar,

Where are you getting this information about SEGA not having the same budget as nintendo? I don't knwo if you're aware, but SEGA's been probably one of the few companies making profits. Not only that, they've been choses as number 1 selling vg company in japan.

I would like some eleboration because I may have been reading the wrong sources (Usually SEGAbits but i'm sure TSSZ posts articles about it as well)

Edited by Jaouad

All a profit means is that you made more money on an endeavor than you spent which doesn't necessarily determine the strength of your capital; a little girl making a profit on her lemonade stand during the summer still won't be equipped to compete with Country Time on a corporate level. Nintendo can still outspend Sega on a flagship title regardless of what the quarterly reports are saying.

Again, Unleashed had under 2 Years development time and had 9(very different) enviorments, and that's where they were still building the Engine. Generations has 3 Years Development time, and engine and assests are all there. That's were it is it to assume that they can put alot more content than in Unleashed, not just in terms of replayability. I suspect that the "Missions" will give oppertunity for not just replayability but creating orginal content that to includes several enviormental nods like the Metal Sonic fight. And maybe re-use lighting.(The Sky of CPZ and were Stardust take place are the same)

Edited by ChikaBoing

All a profit means is that you made more money on an endeavor than you spent which doesn't necessarily determine the strength of your capital; a little girl making a profit on her lemonade stand during the summer still won't be equipped to compete with Country Time on a corporate level. Nintendo can still outspend Sega on a flagship title regardless of what the quarterly reports are saying.

Yeah but other companies have been making alot of loss compared to SEGA, including nintendo. Imo his whole budget and resource argument isn't a valid argument to the 9 stages only. I would go more along the lines of either diskspace or.... lack of ambition :$?

The games do need more zones imo. I can understand that making a stage with it's own set of textures etc takes long, but that's just part of developing a game. It takes time and effort and looking at other games for example, creating great worlds within a period of 2 years is normal, let alone 3 years (generations development time)

Add to that what chicabong said.

Edited by Jaouad

All Major console Sonic games(or even ST games) are ambitions....alot of times ST doesn't know their limitations or get's halfslacked by Sammy(06,NiGHTS), and it get's unnoticed under the pile of unpolishness. But now they have enough Dev time to be ambiotions and polished.

Edited by ChikaBoing

I don't know because that certainly isn't the case with any other SEGA dev team. So why is it only the case with sonicteam? The games that are made by Nagoshi's team for instance(Monkey ball, Fzero GX, Yakuza), they're all great pieces of work within small periods of time. Look at binary domain now. Probably being made within the 2/3 years too, and games like those involve way more enhansive programming, especially in the AI.

Edited by Jaouad

If you ask me, SEGA did a LOT in two years.

They made a game where it has wonderful graphics, enormous worlds, and tons of replayability. All that with a budget that is considered petty change to companies such as Nintendo, Bioware, and Square Enix. Heck, Bioshock Infinite has a team that's only working on the water effects alone!!!

As much as I'd like SEGA to actually have more money, and at least consider developing Sonic games 5 years each, it looks like it's not going to happen. The SEGA México Rep (we all know and love) already mentioned that there's going to be a SEGA All Stars game, and another game to be added to the Storybook Series. And MAYBE, Sonic Adventure 3DS, which probably doesn't exist, and he was just spewing out nonsense. SEGA will still be making games in a two-year mark, with a meh budget. Like someone here said, the only way SEGA will actually make higher budget games, or, make MORE levels, is for them to sell over 20 million copies of Sonic Generations, of which I find unlikely.

• Thumbs Up 1

About Budget I remember it being mentioned that Sonic Unleashed's Budget was about the same of something Valkyria Chrocles and Yakuza 3. And that it wasn't "that" high compared to HD games. So take that as you will.

Yeah but other companies have been making alot of loss compared to SEGA, including nintendo. Imo his whole budget and resource argument isn't a valid argument to the 9 stages only. I would go more along the lines of either diskspace or.... lack of ambition :$?

The games do need more zones imo. I can understand that making a stage with it's own set of textures etc takes long, but that's just part of developing a game. It takes time and effort and looking at other games for example, creating great worlds within a period of 2 years is normal, let alone 3 years (generations development time)

Add to that what chicabong said.

"A lot of loss" means nothing without context and statistics. What is the loss? What is the loss compared to the remaining capital these companies have? What's the rate of loss? Furthermore, how much are Sega's profits amounting to? You're not really saying much. "A lot of loss" by Nintendo's standards could directly translate into bankruptcy for Sega. If nothing else, financial consideration makes the most sense for the number of zones we have because Sega is a business and primarily operates as one.

But this is ignoring the fact that we don't even know the size of the game in the first place even with the zone number. We don't know how big any of the stages are in comparison to Unleashed, (although I'd reckon M. Sonic's Green Hill is hella bigger than Windmill Isle) nor do we know how much of the rest of the content and the added graphical fidelity boost the game's size. This thing could be jam-packed with tons of stuff to do for all we know, thus looking at the game's size only in terms of the zone number and concluding that Sonic Team essentially twiddled their thumbs for a whole year and weren't "ambitious" enough to do more, more, more is foolish. This really is an argument way too early for its time.

Edited by Nepenthe

Obviously not quiet enough if you had to voice it.

What's so funny? The thing that is more funny is that if it is true then the leaks from SEGA weren't on purpose and that is funny....well actually it's more sad I suppose. A big company really should know how to keep their stuff from getting leaked out. Was just a hope that the leaks were to make us comfortable with the measly 9 levels and then BAM! Hit us with the news that there's actually a little more bite to this game than we'd been trolled into expecting!

What's funny is all the people that were in denial of the leaked list going "ok um, they did this on purpose- yeah, there's.. t-there's still hope for my Ice Cap zone! ;A;" And ignoring what others have said about development restraints like budget and all that stuff.

And what adds to it is that people honestly believe that Sega would purposely go out of their way to destroy their whole marketing plan for pretty much the rest of the entire hype period. I think that would do more harm than good. And yeah, a big company should know how to prevent this stuff but in the end what can you do? What happened, happened.

• Thumbs Up 4