Awoo.

NATO: Anonymous will be "infiltrated" and "persecuted"

Patticus

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/157707/20110606/sony-fbi-nato-hackers-anonymous.htm

The same group, "LulzSec," that attacked Sony Corp's film site also went to destroy an FBI-affiliated Web site in Atlanta in retribution to the NATO alliance's "act of war" against hackers.

LulzSec on June 6 said in its Web site http://lulzsecurity.com that in response to NATO's and U.S. President Barrack Obama's decision to up the stakes with regard to hacking and now treat hacking as "an act of war", the group just hacked an FBI affiliated Web site, Infragard, specifically the Atlanta chapter.

NATO Parliamentary Assembly General Rapporteur Lord Jopling said in his report that Anonymous, a prominent group of on-line hackers, poses a hazard that needs to be taken seriously.

Jopling stated, "As sources of cyber attacks are usually impossible to trace, it cannot be said with certainty who has, so far, dominated "the cyber world". Nevertheless, when it comes to the involvement of states in cyber attacks, Russia and China are said to be the usual suspects. From what we know today, terrorist groups such as al Qaeda do not yet have the capability to carry out such attacks. In the future, however, organized crime and hacker groups could sell their services to terrorist groups."

"We accept your threats, NATO. Game on, losers," LulzSec said, in a press release announcing its hacking of the FBI affiliated site.

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2011/06/even-with-nuclear-weapons-nato-fears-anonymous.ars

"The time it takes to cross the Atlantic has shrunk to 30 milliseconds, compared with 30 minutes for ICBMs and several months going by boat," the report warns. "Meanwhile, a whole new family of actors are emerging on the international stage, such as virtual 'hactivist' groups. These could potentially lead to a new class of international conflicts between these groups and nation states, or even to conflicts between exclusively virtual entities."

A big chunk of the assessment is devoted to the activities of Anonymous, most notably its denial-of-service attacks against PayPal, MasterCard, Visa, and Amazon.com for shutting down financial and server space services to WikiLeaks. Next comes the Anonymous assault on HBGary Federal, which had been planning some methods to take down WikiLeaks and expose Anonymous. It didn't turn out that way, of course. Instead, Anonymous penetrated the security company, erasing data, publishing e-mails, and wrecking its website.

The author seems confident, however, that the notorious group's days are numbered. "It remains to be seen how much time Anonymous has for pursuing such paths," Jopling writes. "The longer these attacks persist the more likely countermeasures will be developed, implemented, the groups will be infiltrated and perpetrators persecuted."

• Thumbs Up 6

I hope NATO gets them. I used to sort of support Anonymous and stuff, "fight the power" and all that jazz, but this shit's gotten way too serious lately. If Anon's going to continue poking hungry lions with its penis then it should fully expect to be ripped to pieces. I fully expect them to have been classified a terrorist organisation by the international community within a few years.

This isn't even Anon anymore. This is just a small group of cock-ends who either splintered from them during Sony's wake or are just standard hackers who figured scapegoating them is always the better issue. In fact, Anon are largely opposed to these specific hacks that were made.

I'll just point to this here.

As for the topic at hand, while it sounds deadly serious as hell, the prospect of seeing this evolve is kind of exciting, if not because the situation seems like it'd be straightly extracted from an action movie with too much geek in it (cough Die Hard 4).

Edited by Carbo

Anon... NATO...

Anonato?

teehee.

Anyway, I frankly don't support them guys being punished, they just wanted to try and PROVE that the online security must be major. But I do want them to stop with all these hacks.

This isn't even Anon anymore. This is just a small group of cock-ends who either splintered from them during Sony's wake or are just standard hackers who figured scapegoating them is always the better issue. In fact, Anon are largely opposed to these specific hacks that were made.

This, this, this. The media gets wet pointing the finger at Anonymous and 4chan all the time and it's stupid because it's not anon, it's dumbasses who don't know when they've gone too far. Anonymous is an enormous group of people, all very different, and not all HACKERS ON STEROIDS!! but rather people who like to discuss their interests and nothing more. It's LulzSec, not Anonymous that should be targeted.

That out of the way, I'm glad something's being done about these attacks because they're ridiculous. It's causing a ton of trouble, money loss, etc. And now that they're attacking national security they deserve retaliation. This should absolutely be interesting to see develop in any case.

Oh yes, Shoot blindly into a hypothesized area! NATO is so smart at handling its own territories.

/sarcasm

Edited by Novelty

Oh yes, Shoot blindly into a hypothesized area! NATO is so smart at handling its own territories.

/sarcasm

Considering that there has been a recent influx of hacking attacks all over the world, you'd think that gov't would want to hire some of these rogues. I saw a documentary on MSNBC about how China has it's own hacking culture that loves to poke holes in other countries' systems.

Anon vs NATO?

Should be interesting.

Indeed the stuff of legends, the caliber of an event normally saved for a Boxing or UFC pay-per-view event. I agree with the earlier statement that Anon used to be someone (err, some group) I respected, but with this whole hacking thing, I mean, good god, just drop it already.

NEXT UP ON DEADLIEST WARRIOR:

GUY FAWKES, A SILENT KILLER WITH A DEADLY MASK, BENT ON MAKING THINGS RIGHT,

VERSUS

A SQUAD OF 4 COUNTER-TERRORIST FORCES, SPECIALLY TRAINED BY NATO TO BE READY TO FIGHT

WHO WILL WIN ON THIS INTENSE EPISODE OF DEADLIEST WARRIOR? FIND OUT, AFTER STEPHEN HAWKING V.S. DR. WILY AND HIS 9 ROBOT MASTERS

Edited by Mr.Awesomest
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm sorry, but lulsec needs to fuck off right now.

I hope NATO puts all of the buggers in a jail, which is many a mile away from any silicon-chips.

How do you "infiltrate" Anonymous? A bag of cheatos and an internet connection?

The caps lock key was taped down. The letters I, G, A, E, and O were also removed, forcing the spies to use 1, 6, 4, 3, and 0.

It's the perfect plan.

NATO Parliamentary Assembly General Rapporteur Lord Jopling said in his report that Anonymous, a prominent group of on-line hackers, poses a hazard that needs to be taken seriously... NATO: Anonymous will be "infiltrated" and "persecuted"

godfather2.jpg

The Game Has Changed

The cops... They don't let us do what we want anymore!

Because, you know. Anonymous could totally be a bunch of well-dressed old-school Italian mobsters ^w^ No reason hackers can't be stylish.

Edited by Lord Shen