Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

mblmpu.png

A new device has been presented in Nintendo's E3 Press Conference today.

It looks really curious, this device. It's a controller to play Wii games without having to see the TV. It's supposed to be used by both hardcore gamers and casual gamers.

It uses all add-ons for the Wii. (Crossbow, Wii Fit Pad, etc.)

It's going to have Cicle pads, control pads, microphone, speakers, Touch Screen, accelerometer, ZR Buttons, L and R buttons, A, B X, Y, buttons, and other things.

It's not designed to be a handheld, though it has some characteristics.

It has video chat and web browsing.

Super Smash Bros is actually gonna be used for 3DS and Wii U.

Here's some images.

95yhj6.png

2cfw02a.png

EDIT:

There is no info regarding the console's hardware whatsoever. All that's been mentioned is that EA will have their respective games on this new console with stunning HD graphics. Witness Battlefield 3 in all its glory. tongue.gif

Edited by Sean
Fixed thread tags

Damn you beat me to it! Well besides the odd title, the Wii U looks interesting, as well as promising as future gaming technology. So im stockpiling money and applying to every job I can right now to catch up.

I still don't own a 3DS..

:(

I am extremely impressed. Not so much by the console itself; granted, the graphics are stunning, and the hardware is a step-up even from the PS3. But it's to be expected from the next generation. No, what has me captivated is the controller. Holy crap, the possibilities. It maintains the innovation that Nintendo tried so hard to achieve with the original Wii, but it doesn't alienated hardcore gamers with 2 analog sticks, a d-pad, four face buttons, and back bumpers on the main interface, rather than having something that looks like a television remote with as few buttons as possible. Plus, considering you can transfar transfer your game to the screen on the controller without sacrificing the resolution, while a friend uses the console to play a different game, AND that the console will be fully backwards compatible with Wii games and hardware... just wow.

Plus, the controller's touch screen functionality could have a big impact on games, on or off it's screen. For example, the Tekken game preview gave me an idea of how the tablet could be used to actually draw images or words that could be transferred into the main game... and the 3rd party support.... man, Nintendo hasn't made a home console this technologically ahead of the curb since they released the Super Nintendo. FINALLY!!!!!

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am extremely impressed. Not so much by the console itself; granted, the graphics are stunning, and the hardware is a step-up even from the PS3. But it's to be expected from the next generation. No, what has me captivated is the controller. Holy crap, the possibilities. It maintains the innovation that Nintendo tried so hard to achieve with the original Wii, but it doesn't alienated hardcore gamers with 2 analog sticks, a d-pad, four face buttons, and back bumpers on the main interface, rather than having something that looks like a television remote with as few buttons as possible. Plus, considering you can transfar transfer your game to the screen on the controller without sacrificing the resolution, while a friend uses the console to play a different game, AND that the console will be fully backwards compatible with Wii games and hardware... just wow.

Plus, the controller's touch screen functionality could have a big impact on games, on or off it's screen. For example, the Tekken game preview gave me an idea of how the tablet could be used to actually draw images or words that could be transferred into the main game... and the 3rd party support.... man, Nintendo hasn't made a home console this technologically ahead of the curb since they released the Super Nintendo. FINALLY!!!!!

for starters, it is alsoa new console, that's just it's controller

Though i'm satisfied with the games they discussed, (New Super Smash Bros!), they could have done better like show us the console itself not just the tablet. I am looking forward to seeing what the Wii U can do for me game play wise.

Damn you beat me to it! Well besides the odd title, the Wii U looks interesting, as well as promising as future gaming technology. So im stockpiling money and applying to every job I can right now to catch up.

I still don't own a 3DS..

:(

I was too excited, man. It looked amazing.

Though i'm satisfied with the games they discussed, (New Super Smash Bros!), they could have done better like show us the console itself not just the tablet. I am looking forward to seeing what the Wii U can do for me game play wise.

Yeah, they could have done something about that. I myself got extremely confused. I thought the console was just the controller to be used for the Wii! :lol:

But, I'm sure Ninty will release some info about the hardware soon.

So a 3DS with 2 analog sticks? Alright, hopefully it'll be compatible with Wii games such as Mario Galaxy(I'm curious how the game would play with just buttons).

So a 3DS with 2 analog sticks? Alright, hopefully it'll be compatible with Wii games such as Mario Galaxy(I'm curious how the game would play with just buttons).

Not really. Think more like an HD Wii designed for Hardcore and Casual gamers alike.

What Nintendo pretended to do was somewhat unite? Both 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash Bros so all the players can to fight against each other online.

Yeah, they said some games were going to be compatible with the Wii, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Tatsumaki

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

OMG I WANT ONE NOW!

Also it's not THAT huge a controller really and the back is made to fit your hands quite nicely from the look of it. I want to know more about controls though, like playing Zelda are they using the d-paf and buttons or a wii mote or what?

So many of my friends are being so negative about Nintendo now ;_;

Yeah, they said some games were going to be compatible with the Wii, if I'm not mistaken.

Not really. Think more like an HD Wii designed for Hardcore and Casual gamers alike.

What Nintendo pretended to do was somewhat unite? Both 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash Bros so all the players can to fight against each other online.

Edited by Schismatist

So you could say it's similiar to Kojima's brilliant new plan to unite portable and console gaming at last?(Mega 64 reference).

EDIT:

There is no info regarding the console's hardware whatsoever. All that's been mentioned is that EA will have their respective games on this new console with stunning HD graphics. Witness Battlefield 3 in all its glory. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

A good write up: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/07/wii-u-nintendo-games-console

So here they are: the console itself will run in full HD, via HDMI, but the touchscreen isn't HD. The console has internal Flash memory which can be augmented with "SD Card or USB solutions". It will play optical disks and downloadable content, and will be backwards-compatible with Wii software. And it will launch some time between 1 April and 31 December 2012.

I understand them not showing the console. It's not the point- the point is the controller, which I'm intrigued by. What started out as a glorified VMU became really interesting when they displayed the functionality it can have with games being played on the TV. That'll be interesting to see in the future, especially with the obligatory Mario flagship title that'll undoubtedly come sooner or later.

Also glad to have better third-party support, even if the games showcased for it are probably going to be old-hat by the time the console itself hits the shelves. But what I was hoping for, however, was a significant display of new games for it. Bombshell of new Super Smash was all well and good, but it only proved to be a passing comment. EA didn't announce anything new either. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned or looking at this the wrong way, but I am less concerned about the tech than I am about the new playable content that will be coming along with it, and frankly we didn't get any of that.

So great tech, but relatively boring showcase. Perhaps it was too soon? =/

I was sold on the new console when it became clear that third parties were contributing to this system in a big way with Aliens, Darksiders, Metro, EA Sports and undoubtedly more. I was disappointed when GTA V didn't show up, but Rockstar did say that they wouldn't be attending E3 '11; they typically like to announce things on their own terms.

I need to see more core games to want it though.