Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

If they don't even set up a Gamecube VC then I'm fucking done with this console, so much promised shit that hasn't been fulfilled or has just been delayed and gone multiplatform anyway, really doesn't fee like Nintendo at the helm at all.

Well to be fair the GC VC was never once confirmed, only ever hinted at.

It could happen eventually, it took the PS3 years to get downloadable PS2 games and it still only has a handful (most of which are bad)

I really hope Nintendo do open the GCVC floodgates though, it'd be a great move on their part and would generate lots of hype with that generation of gamers.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 3

It only makes sense that they do, they've been trailing behind for years, Gameboy, NES, SNES, N64 games, whilst PS3 has been doing both PS1 & PS2 games, 360 has both Xbox AND 360 titles on demand, a recent trait PS3 has been following (albeit above RRP) For Nintendo not to pick up their 2001 Library for people to witness would be a stupid move since they pretty much removed Gamecube compatibility with the Wii U, which means Nintendo either planned for us to keep the original Wii or Gamecube if we wanted to continue using those games...

Well neither the gamecube nor the Wii are particularly expensive now, the former going for at most $50 and latter barely breaks $100 anymore so that may not be too far off the mark.

And if that's case, I shall stay with my Wii thank you very much.

Considering the insanely small handful of last-gen games on the PS3 and 360, I think the Wii U is right on track to catching up. Nintendo is caught up in regards to current gen games on consoles, with same-day release for most, if not all Wii U and 3DS games. Even 360 takes awhile to get current games on its demand service.

Wasn't the main reason PSN was getting PS2 games specifically because of the lack of backwards compatibility? I dont think Nintendo cared as much about downloading Gamecube games considering you could already play your old Gamecube games on the console for the majority of its life cycle.

Edited by The Kid

SuperLink got me thinking. I hadn't touched my 360 for 2 years, it only got any use for Revengeance because, I couldn't get the PS3 version.

• Thumbs Up 1

wiimoterobot.jpg

THE WII U U...... it literally becomes YOU!

Edited by Autosaver

What? The Gameboy line has had the longest streak of backward compatibility imaginable even when going into the DS, and has only been rivaled by Sony's support for PSX games which is ending with PS4.

Saying Nintendo has been "trailing" with it is a load of malarkey.

What the hell are you talking about? I was referring to the Virtual Console on Wii, not the actual Gameboy, jesus.

I've always been impressed by Nintendo's handheld consoles and how long they hold onto backwards compatibility, all Gameboy games were compatible up to DSi which was fantastic, I just think the Wii U removing backwards compatibility for Gamecube games is a complete waste when it was one of the main reasons I got the original Wii in the first place, so i'm hoping for Nintendo to at least upgrade their virtual console on the U, it certainly looks a lot nicer any way.

Must of gotten mixed up with the 3DS VC, been a while since i booted up the Wii's shop, all I remember was some old Sonic titles and a ton of N64 ports.

Wii's VC in the end was, despite lacking a few key titles, considerably more extensive than most people ever really expected it to be. And it still gets releases more commonly than the 3DS VC does.

I seriously hope the WiiU's VC gets very regular releases and is on a more permanent system that will be fully compatible with future systems, or that the Wii Shop gets some kind of modern update that lets you play it from the WiiU menu. It's got such a big selection, it's a shame it's buried behind layers of slow archaic menus.

Edited by SuperLink

Runner2 is coming to the European eShop this week - that's some good Wii U news, I guess!

It's still not out for the Wii U yet!? Wow, I thought that the game would come out first for it considering that Bit.Trip Runner was a Wii exclusive.

Well, it's actually been available on the North American eShop since the day it released on Steam. I don't know what's up with Nintendo of Europe.

woah woah woah

broseph, thou did not just diminisheth the gamecube controller

gamecube controller is master race for comfort and buttons

Trust me, I agree. It's one of my favorite controllers of all time. The D-Pad is the only thing I hate in terms of comfort and feel, but the rest is a sublime and irreplaceable controller for every game that was designed around it, from Nintendo games to the Capcom Five.

But it's one of the most badly designed controllers in terms of input options which means that games which fully utilized it (i.e almost all of Nintendo's own games which are what people want from a GC VC) have a hard time being mapped with legacy options that are practically standard. The lack of a second bumper isn't a big deal in retrospect but it crippled third party games that came out on it, and the same goes for clickable sticks.

The biggest problem the Gamecube has are those analog triggers though. That "click" when you press it all the way down? That counts as a separate input, and games like Sunshine actually used those separate inputs. That's not something that can be done on the Wii U, unless you remap it to the clickable sticks or something, but that'd be kind of unwieldy.

Controller add-on is the only real solution for full fidelity but it's questionable how viable that is if Nintendo would have to release a companion controller just for a select few games people might not use. It's not exactly a $10 attachment.

• Thumbs Up 8

The biggest problem the Gamecube has are those analog triggers though. That "click" when you press it all the way down? That counts as a separate input, and games like Sunshine actually used those separate inputs. That's not something that can be done on the Wii U, unless you remap it to the clickable sticks or something, but that'd be kind of unwieldy.

I'd always assumed they'd be mapped to the bumpers.

Edited by 100% Uncut Wario

Has "bumpers" really become the commonly accepted term for shoulder buttons?

• Thumbs Up 3

Used to be L/R buttons now have bumpers and triggers... Could they just have the seperate imput of the bumpers just be pressing it down all the way? Or would it requir a bit of reprogramming when it comes to porting games like Mario Sunshine?