Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Not outside of the realm of possibility for people, no.

Besides, it's a convenience issue first and foremost.

Edited by Tornado

Besides, it's a convenience issue first and foremost.

That much is clear, but it very obviously brings some major ramifications to the table merely because of those conveniences. If the PS3 has proven anything it's that more often than not this was a method used for illegitimate means.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't, basically.

• Thumbs Up 5

Reggie seems to make a point of it being Metroid Prime's 10th Anniversary on Wii U launch day. I wonder if they're going to announce a new Metroid Prime game for Wii U.

This whole US Wii U launch thing and the fact that I've found out today that I'm not working on EU launch day is making me want to get it on launch day. I've not cancelled my pre-order yet just in case I do decide to get it on launch day. Decisions, decisions... XD

Reggie seems to make a point of it being Metroid Prime's 10th Anniversary on Wii U launch day. I wonder if they're going to announce a new Metroid Prime game for Wii U.

Holy crap, a new Metroid announcement tomorrow would make my day even better.

Though if the Wii U eventually has downloadable Gamecube games, then maybe they'll announce a downloadable version of the first Metroid Prime to get the morph ball rolling.

Holy crap, a new Metroid announcement tomorrow would make my day even better.

Though if the Wii U eventually has downloadable Gamecube games, then maybe they'll announce a downloadable version of the first Metroid Prime to get the morph ball rolling.

...It's time.

I say we all dawn Metroid avatars tommorow.

Though just to be safe, let's not get our hopes up. It could just be "Hey! Metroid Prime's birthday is tomorrow! Neat, huh? Alright, back to Siiper Miirio Briithers."

• Thumbs Up 5

http://www.gonintend...story&id=190825

That's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge queue.

Iwata Reveals How Nintendo Developed The Early Prototype For Wii U

http://www.nintendol...otype_for_wii_u

Reggie Discusses Embracing The Digital Age Ahead of Wii U Launch

http://www.nintendol...of_wii_u_launch

Jack Tretton Wishes Nintendo Every Success With Wii U

http://www.nintendol...cess_with_wii_u

What Excites Us About Wii U - NA Edition

http://www.nintendol...ii_u_na_edition

Btw, Nintendo announced games with online data can't be transferred over to the Wii U.

let the anger commence

Btw, Nintendo announced games with online data can't be transferred over to the Wii U.

let the anger commence

Considering I would never play Smash Bros. Brawl without a GameCube Controller anyway, this isn't a huge deal. And Mario Kart Wii has been far outshoned by 7 so...

Hmm... I guess it'll be annoying for a handful of games which have leaderboards but otherwise no internet connectivity at all.

You know what's stupid? I bet all the games that wouldn't let you copy data to an SD Card on the Wii will be untransferrable.

I noticed this tendancy long ago - it's always games with online content of any sort... with one exception.

Mario Strikers Charged.

That had online play, but it DOES let you copy save data to an SD Card... it just brought up a notice saying "not all data was copied". Since I had only done a couple of online matches at the time, I decided to experiment. I copied my data to an SD Card, deleted my save on the Wii, and then copied the SD Card save data back.

Sure enough, on firing up the game, my data was totally intact, but my online data was gone. Record wiped-clean and it gave me a new Friend Code etc.

So my question is... why didn't they do this with ALL games with online? Always ticked me off because Brawl is a massive game that would be horrible to lose your save data on, and it doesn't let you back it up.

Ah well, I'm a hoarder anyway so I'll always have my Wii. Just hope it doesn't get bricked, not that such a thing wasn't a danger before because of this stupid lack of backing up function for games with online play.

slowpoke.jpg

The following info comes from Trine developer Frozenbyte...

"We started working with the Wii U back in March, right after Nintendo contacted us for the first time. We had the port of Trine 2 working in about two days and then after that it was just about getting the game to look nicer and to implement the touch screen related features."

- developers set their prices

- devs determine when they have sales

"That's what we love about the new eShop. We have the power to price our products as we please, with just some basic guidelines from the big guys. The step to this is purely from Nintendos's side and they clearly see that [their] previous installments have not been up to par. We can set our own pricing and actually continuing on that by setting our own sales whenever we want. It is very close to what Apple and Steam are doing at the moment, and very indie friendly. As a small company we rely a lot on the long term sales of our games, not just how well the game does in the first month. Selling for more than two of the first weeks has been very difficult on the console side so far."

- no basic payments for each patch

- devs can update their game almost limitlessly

"We expect it (the approval process) to be longer than what Steam has, but still very competitive compared to the current console standards."

- adding in DLC is also free for devs

"Nintendo messed up the worst last time around. Now they really know that they have to make a huge improvement to get back into the game. What I have seen and heard so far is amazing and it's definitely going in the right direction as far as small developers are concerned."

- Wii U will have a larger shopping environment than 3DS eShop

"Now we can actually just upload videos about our game after the launch and still have the players come back and have a conversation about it. This makes it possible for everyone to continue that mutual relationship a lot further, rather than having it stop at the transaction.

Nintendo's eShop has the possibility of showing the way for the future of downloadable games on consoles. Not everything is up to par, but so far it looks like a far superior channel to be a part of. We hope that companies like us realize that and more indie games become available on the Wii U eShop. In the end this is how we see the future of console gaming and hopefully we are not too far away from that reality."

tl;dr - FREE patches (More frequent patches then for developers since no fee?), FREE DLC, Steam like.

• Thumbs Up 3

That is awesome news.

Okay now it's someones turn to post news of something completely stupid and non-with-the-times Nintendo has done.

• Thumbs Up 2

This doesn't apply to me since I'm in America, but alot of you Euro's may want to read this.

The three SNES Donkey Kong Country games to be removed from European Wii Shop Channel Nov. 25th

http://mynintendonew...irtual-console/

Does anybody know if the E-shop will automatically have all of the previous Wii Virtual Console games? If not then big bummer.

And now to type some words I'd never have thought I would ever type,

Jack Tretton wishes the Wii-U the best of luck.

Rising tide lifts all boats. Any time there is attention to the industry, any time there is attention to gaming it’s a good thing for us.

It takes a village of creativity to ultimately push technological boundaries. I think Nintendo has a great heritage in the business, they certainly surprised a lot of people with the success of the Wii. They’ve got great heritage in their first party development, and I’m interested to see what happens with it. But I think anything that draws attention to gaming is good for companies like us that live and die in this business, so I wish them a lot of success.

-Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America

I never thought I'd hear the man who trash talks every other company constantly non-stop, actually compliment something for once.

If you per-ordered a Wii-U from Toys R'Us, you may not get your Wii-U tomorrow...

http://www.polygon.c...-may-be-delayed

“We wanted to inform you that we have not yet received inventory on your Wii U Black Deluxe Set Hardware pre-order which was expected in-store on November 18th, 2012. We will send you a follow-up email once this item is available and ready for pickup.”

And finally, for those of you who may have somehow gotten a Wii-U early (which means nobody here and posting this here is most likely a waste of my time), The 1st Wii-U system Update is out and ready!

http://mynintendonew...te-is-now-live/

I wish all of you guys who are getting Wii-U's tomorrow/this or next month the best of luck. I'd love to get a Wii-U, but after buying a Wii, 3DS, and Vita at/near launch, I've decided to not make that same mistake again. I mean yeah I could buy NSMBU and ZombiU, but those titles would only hold me for a month before I get bored. And since the games I'm looking forward to like Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, etc aren't coming out for months, I'd figure it's best to wait instead of buying a Wii-U and using it as a Wii or let it collect dust.

Edit: I'd probably rage over that "Wii-U can't transfer Wii online games data (which is pretty stupid)" if I actually played online Wii games.

And the e-shop sounds very nice, hope to hear what it's actually like tomorrow.

And speaking of e-shop don't forget, the Rayman Legends Demo will be available tomorrow !

Edited by Mike Dawson
  • Thumbs Up 1

Shiiiit, man am I glad that I pre-ordered online at GameStop like an hour after the conference. Now, UPS just needs to not be stupid and bring it to me on Monday.

Wii U day-one update now live

http://www.gonintend...story&id=190839

Wii U browser has a 6-tab limit

http://www.gonintend...story&id=190841

Wii U Transfer Tool up on Wii Shop Channel

http://www.gonintend...story&id=190847

Do you know how long ago we knew about that?

You just plug it into an outlet,

That was known since like...E3.

slowpoke.jpg

Well excuuuuuuse me for not following every teeny tiny detail about the system. You would think I missed major Wii U news or something. dry.png Also, using an outlet for charging a controller while you use it isn't as convenient for others as it may be for you, Wraith.

This doesn't apply to me since I'm in America, but alot of you Euro's may want to read this.

The three SNES Donkey Kong Country games to be removed from European Wii Shop Channel Nov. 25th

http://mynintendonew...irtual-console/

They're already gone in America.

I like to think there's some greater conspiracy here involving the Wii U or some shit, cause I really have no idea why they'd remove them. I've seen some speculation about rights issues regarding Rare and Microsoft but I really can't imagine anything that they could have found after all this time that suddenly make them unsellable for everyone.

But I already got 'em so whatevs. Still, it's bizarre.

Wii U day-one update now live.

Haha yes! I finally beat you in bringing gaming news here first! Haha, in your face, in your face!

Nintendoga- 1

Shadzter- 10394

I'm almost halfway there!

Wii-U OS

They're already gone in America.

I like to think there's some greater conspiracy here involving the Wii U or some shit, cause I really have no idea why they'd remove them. I've seen some speculation about rights issues regarding Rare and Microsoft but I really can't imagine anything that they could have found after all this time that suddenly make them unsellable for everyone.

But I already got 'em so whatevs. Still, it's bizarre.

Wow, I didn't even know they were gone here. That's really bizarre. Good thing I already downloaded them, but I hope they put them back on the E-shop