Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

So how long does the update actually take?

Definitely over an hour for me. I'll say roughly an hour-and-fifteen? (Didn't really notice the time I started it, tbh. Sorry. :U )

Varied impressions. Some range from an hour while others have even more.

Depends on your connection, how much is allocated to the console and the fact that people are downloading a ≈5GB update on launch day when servers are bound to get hammered.

Mine's been going for about a half hour, and it's a little less than 2/3 done. I'd say it should be around 15-25 minutes longer at this rate, but who knows, it might end up chugging near the end.

That's pretty excessive. Not bothered by he fact there is an update, just that the update has to take so long. I'll bear that in mind so that when I get mine, I'll start off the update before doing anything else.

So how long does the update actually take?

It took me an hour and a half. Some of my friends had to wait over two hours, so I guess it depends on your connection.

Doesn't surprise me that it takes so long after hearing the news of how much space it takes up yesterday. It's adding like half of the system's features. I too will be sure to make this the first thing I do if I get it day 1.

Question, is it true that the basic Wii U (8GB) won't let you go on the Eshop without an external hard drive? That's what I'm hearing from a friend right now :U

Edited by Jetronic

Courtesy of K2J from SonicRetro.

aojeL.jpg

The update isn't 5 GB, not even close. The servers are strained by all these people trying to update at once.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's nice to know. I wonder if the servers will be slightly less pressures for the European launch? Mmm, probably not.

Why would it be 5GB?

That would mean Nintendo would leave you with less than 2GB of data on a Basic Wii U unit.

Typical Nintendo

Edited by Autosaver

Well, I ended up with one today. (Currently in update limbo, so checking the boards.) My brother had graciously given me permission to 'start saving up to get me a Wii U on my birthday', so on the way to Gamestop to pick up my Epic Mickey, I thought I might as well stop in at our local Walmart and see if they had any Wii Us, as that would do for a family Christmas present. Not expecting to find any, mind you, but figured in this little town I'd have the best chance of finding one - well, they had four units, two white and two black, on the shelves. So I go on to Greenville and Gamestop to pick up my Epic Mickey game, and on the way home it finally occurs to me - why don't I keep this console and give my brother the one that's preordered but not yet arrived? So now I have a Wii U, Nintendoland and Epic Mickey 2, and am waiting for delivery of Sonic All-Stars Transformed.

At this point I may be hindering the download, but it had been running for about an hour and was maybe 5/8 done when I got on the computer.

The update isn't 5 GB, not even close. The servers are strained by all these people trying to update at once.

What? I think there's been a misunderstanding, the update's not 5GB, it's 1.5GB.

And I still love how Nintendo's marketing this as 8GB and 32GB when it's really 3GB and 27GB of data you can save.

Edit: dying

"Some Wii U users are saying Miiverse is not functioning at the moment. When they click the Miiverse icon on the Wii U Menu, the application loads until error code 121500 pops up, which means means Miiverse services are currently unavailable. Are you experiencing any problems with Miiverse?"

Nintendo still got dem shitty servers.

Also I'm sure this will interest some people here who are into this kinda stuff,

Wii-U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM, but it's slower then the 360/PS3's RAM

This is the whole RAM amount of the system, eDRAM amount/speed is currently unknown

PCPer did a teardown. Great stuff... they actually read off the RAM chip (SMRT!). There's only 4 chips.

Samsung K4W4G1646B -> DDR3 4Gbit, 1.5V, 800/933/1066 speed bins -> I'm pretty sure that means "DDR3-1600/1866/2133" data rate.

256Mx16 would imply 16-bit I/O per DRAM... So... 17GB/s at most for main memory bandwidth. They didn't mention the rest of the numbers on the DRAM, but they ought to have high res photos later.

TL:DR: Wii U has 2GB of Samsung DDR3 memory running at a max speed of 17GB/s.

comparison to other consoles

360: 22.4 GB/s + eDRAM for framebuffer

PS3: 25.6 GB/s main memory BW + 22.4 GB/s graphics memory BW, no eDRAM

GTX 680: 192.2 GB/s :P

Courtesy of Gaf

Edited by Mike Dawson
  • Thumbs Up 2

Also I'm sure this will interest some people here who are into this kinda stuff,

Wii-U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM, but it's slower then the 360/PS3's RAM

This is the whole RAM amount of the system, eDRAM amount/speed is currently unknown

TL:DR: Wii U has 2GB of Samsung DDR3 memory running at a max speed of 17GB/s.

comparison to other consoles

Courtesy of Gaf

This won't really mean much within the coming year. Despite the pool being slow on account of the RAM type, the eDRAM in this thing is apparently more flexible than the 360 and depending on how it interacts with the GPU and CPU which still hasn't been dissected, it's unclear just how powerful the actual console is. The type of numbers here are unimpressive on their own but as Shin'en has stated in an interview, the Wii U is favoring lower RAM latency solutions which by some developers is looked upon favorably.

The only thing it reflects negatively upon right now are those launch-day ports that none of the games were designed in mind for, with the only exception being Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 which runs at 720p native, which is better than the 360 and PS3's sub-native resolution.

It will kind of matter once Durango and Orbis start rearing their heads though.

• Thumbs Up 1

This techno babble confuses me D: Whatever it all means, as long as there are good games, I don't care :P

• Thumbs Up 4

holy shit I got one

the LAST one

thank you god

Lucky bastard.

I'll probably wait until stock pops up online in a few days and pray that I can get one.

I can go into Miiverse and see what others are saying about games, but the Miiverse functions in Nintendo Land weren't working for me.

Oh, and I seem to recall an announcement regarding a Rayman Legends demo being available on Wii U launch day.

WHERE IS IT. *foams at mouth*

GOOD NEWS!

Wii U transfer includes online data (MKW, Brawl, etc) so it seems like only specific titles are affected. Lostwinds is one game that can't be moved over.

jIo8Z.jpg

Edit: Accidentally posted this in the NSMBU thread - New Yoshi's Island!

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 2

From Shad's link

I found out I could access the debug menu on Miiverse by hitting the "X" button on the gamepad while hovering over the exit button. I found an admin access list or something to that effect. I couldn't really do anything from there though. I could view different messages from a developer though. One mentioned that there would be big games coming out(announced?) on the 10th of December. A different said "POKEMON" and "SUICIDE". Sorry, bro.

I went to another link that lead me to some test messages. I thought they were real when I found them, because they were posted 20 minutes ago from the time I accessed them. I could flag them for prohibited content, spoilers, and something else that I forget.

Then I went to a different link on the debug menu and it showed three different Miiverse subforums I could access that would be coming out on December 20th. I clicked on the "games for teens, kids and blahblah" (forgot the other two, I think family games was one of them?) and it lead to some sort of dispute between Timelord celebrities Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. There were even more subforums for games specifically, including Yoshi's Island Wii U and Soul Hackers, and less specific ones like "Metal Gear Solid" and "Resident Evils". By the time I stopped posting on gaf to check for more it was fixed, and someone pointed out that Nintendo put up a tweet about a miiverse fix.

I don't know if I really could flag posts to be deleted or whatever, but I know I could not make myself an admin or delete admins. At least when I pressed the buttons nothing happened.

Well, I am very happy about Yoshi's Island. I just hope this time it won't be as bad as the DS game was.

The Super Mario Wii-U thing though, guess that might mean the rumor about another 3D Mario hitting the Wii-U 2013 may be true.

Surprised to see MGS up there though. Could that be a Ground Zeroes port, or an entirely original one?

Wow, it took Microsoft a few years before exploits started to come to light... Sony what... Four? Five? years before their system got compromised?

The Wii-U... 24 hours.

• Thumbs Up 2