Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Just a debug menu, that may or may not be photoshopped. Plus it was fixed in less than 24 hours.

Let's not compare this to finding the root key on the PS3 and leaking everyone's credit card number.

• Thumbs Up 7

Reading the thread. To give people an idea as to what happened.

When trying to check your friends list, you could get into a debug menu that more or less granted you administrator access to the Wii-U miiverse. You could access messages from random users, create content, edit content, remove content add content etc.

At one point he was able to highlight messages inside the Miiverse and even access game lists.

So in short. This gif is now even funnier.

icZOQ.gif

And people wonder why I don't buy consoles on day 1 anymore.

Let's not compare this to finding the root key on the PS3 and leaking everyone's credit card number.

Hmmmm no I think we can compare it. This wasn't the case of people trying for several years, this was some guy messing around on his friends list who had little to no skills in hacking or cracking systems who was able to get apoint himself administrator access... and this comes after 2011 where security of various databases and online services were being put under the spotlight by a lot of people.

Oh and, people still think card details were taken? Nope.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmmmm no I think we can compare it.

Seems incredibly silly to compare it and you know it. Also, the actual leaking of credit card is irrelevant as it DID scare many people with no clear answer on it. I'm aware that they weren't but remember how many people panicked. I guess we could make a drawstring comparison to the Wii U "debug menu" if we wanted too...

Also, this did not cause everyone to reset their password and shut down Miiverse for two months. Again, seems incredibly silly to compare the two. No information was leaked out and no damage was done. This was fixed in a matter of hours and only a single person found out about it. And we're still not sure if this was some sort of cruel joke. If this is causing you to not buy a console on day 1.. your loss.

TL;DR - Nothing to worry about, bug was fixed in less than 24 hours and nothing of value was lost.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, the actual leaking of credit card

You are aware that no card details were actually leaked right? This was confirmed by many people several times back when it happened.

Also, this did not cause everyone to reset their password and shut down Miiverse for two months. Again, seems incredibly silly to compare the two. If this is causing you to not buy a console on day 1.. your loss.

Guy1: Our system has been compromised and data has been access by someone who shouldn't... should we shut it down and make sure everything is secure... Maybe contact all our customers to let them know there was someone in our system who shouldn't have been?

Guy 2: Nah lets keep it open... I'm sure nobody will notice. I've spent the best part of half an hour looking to see if any data could have been taken as well as if anyone else managed to do this. But our system is completely secure... just don't push that button when viewing your friends list.

Yup. Totally my loss.

You are aware that no card details were actually leaked right? This was confirmed by many people several times back when it happened.

Read with context - I said it was irrelevant if it leaked or not because it originally scared a ton of people. Sony even admitted that it did not know whether or not they were leaked. Yes, I know they did not because of the encryption.

• Thumbs Up 4

Guy1: Our system has been compromised and data has been access by someone who shouldn't... should we shut it down and make sure everything is secure... Maybe contact all our customers to let them know there was someone in our system who shouldn't have been?

Guy 2: Nah lets keep it open... I'm sure nobody will notice. I've spent the best part of half an hour looking to see if any data could have been taken as well as if anyone else managed to do this. But our system is completely secure... just don't push that button when viewing your friends list.

Yup. Totally my loss.

The point Autosaver seems to be making, if I'm not mistaken, is that it almost looks as if you're trying to go out of your way to compare the Wii U's exploit unfavorably to that of any other consoles.

If you want to compare it, then go ahead. But if you really think that the PSN outage was less of an issue in terms of how it was handled and the sheer scope of it, then I don't know what more I can say. The saying "Making a mountain out of a molehill" applies here.

• Thumbs Up 8

one exploit was accidental, done by someone who wasn't even trying and one was done by the efforts of a person (or persons) and it took a few years.

Anywho, I got to try the Wii U. Not too impressed really. Would like to get my hands on other games but as of now, not too impressed. Game pad does feel nice though, I had my doubts.

But the fact of that matter is that the problem was fixed almost instantly, and did nothing to anyone. The worst he could have done was delete people's messages; the guys who hacked PSN could have run off with millions of dollars. They didn't sure but, they came a lot closer to it than some guy accidentally accessing a debug menu.

Guys.

If you're talking about a game on Miiverse, there will be a mark by your post indicating if you played it or not.

THAT MEANS PEOPLE CAN'T TALK SHIT ABOUT GAMES THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED.

GLORIOUS DAY.

• Thumbs Up 4

THAT MEANS PEOPLE CAN'T TALK SHIT ABOUT GAMES THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED.

GLORIOUS DAY.

Unless they... post on a forum instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

I found out I could access the debug menu on Miiverse by hitting the "X" button on the gamepad while hovering over the exit button.

Why are you even able to access a debug menu with such a simple button combination? oO

Edited by Thigolf

So i'm hearing a lot of noise about the Wii U being pretty bad and not fulfilling people's expectations? I'm worried now, should i keep mine on order or pass on it? unsure.png

wait.. now updates that are breaking games!? What's going on?? sad.png

Edited by Gum/ Super Soniko

So i'm hearing a lot of noise about the Wii U being pretty bad and not fulfilling people's expectations? I'm worried now, should i keep mine on order or pass on it? unsure.png

wait.. now updates that are breaking games!? What's going on?? sad.png

Really? All I've heard is that it may not be the best launch, but Nintendo has something special here. I sure enjoy mine.

So the Wii U sounds like it had a very, very rocky launch so far.

I still think they should have waited next year to release the thing, but eh...maybe it'll fix itself eventually.

Wait, so, for the record... Does this confirm, even vaguely, the possibility of a new Yoshi's Island being made? Because I would love that.

Wait, so, for the record... Does this confirm, even vaguely, the possibility of a new Yoshi's Island being made? Because I would love that.

Maybe, not sure.

^That's neat.

This been posted yet?

Your Wii-U account is locked to the system you created it on.

So if anything goes wrong with your Wii-U, wave goodbye to your account. If you try and log in on another system, you get this message "This Nintendo Network ID has already been linked to another Wii U console."

Yeah, it has. OMG, you're so late. This was discovered aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago. You fail at life for not following every last detail.

Am I cool now, guys? :P

But seriously, I can understand them doing it to stop people game sharing, but it doesn't help those who want to upgrade to a newer model (if one does come out) or their system breaks and even Nintendo can't repair it and have to give a replacement. :-/

• Thumbs Up 2

If your Wii U is bricked beyond repair odds are that there's a serial number within the console's architecture that's able to let Nintendo transfer your data and account to a replacement console. It'd be similar to what Nintendo used in order to detect whether your 3DS was legible for Ambassador Programs.

• Thumbs Up 4

If your Wii U is bricked beyond repair odds are that there's a serial number within the console's architecture that's able to let Nintendo transfer your data and account to a replacement console. It'd be similar to what Nintendo used in order to detect whether your 3DS was legible for Ambassador Programs.

That'd be cool with me then. Unless they add something drastically different, I wouldn't want to upgrade to a later model anyway.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/11/18/nintendos-steams-up-the-wii-u-eshop

"That's what we love about the new eShop," said Haveri. "We have the power to price our products as we please, with just some basic guidelines from the big guys. The step to this is purely from Nintendos's side and they clearly see that [their] previous installments have not been up to par. We can set our own pricing and actually continuing on that by setting our own sales whenever we want. It is very close to what Apple and Steam are doing at the moment, and very indie friendly."

Pretty big news as being open to indie developers is something that's going to matter a lot this generation. Nice to see Nintendo actually getting an infrastructure like this right.

• Thumbs Up 6