Tatsumaki

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

I found out I could access the debug menu on Miiverse by hitting the "X" button on the gamepad while hovering over the exit button.

Why are you even able to access a debug menu with such a simple button combination? oO

Edited by Thigolf

So i'm hearing a lot of noise about the Wii U being pretty bad and not fulfilling people's expectations? I'm worried now, should i keep mine on order or pass on it? unsure.png

wait.. now updates that are breaking games!? What's going on?? sad.png

Edited by Gum/ Super Soniko

So i'm hearing a lot of noise about the Wii U being pretty bad and not fulfilling people's expectations? I'm worried now, should i keep mine on order or pass on it? unsure.png

wait.. now updates that are breaking games!? What's going on?? sad.png

Really? All I've heard is that it may not be the best launch, but Nintendo has something special here. I sure enjoy mine.

So the Wii U sounds like it had a very, very rocky launch so far.

I still think they should have waited next year to release the thing, but eh...maybe it'll fix itself eventually.

This been posted yet?

Your Wii-U account is locked to the system you created it on.

So if anything goes wrong with your Wii-U, wave goodbye to your account. If you try and log in on another system, you get this message "This Nintendo Network ID has already been linked to another Wii U console."

Yeah, it has. OMG, you're so late. This was discovered aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago. You fail at life for not following every last detail.

Am I cool now, guys? :P

But seriously, I can understand them doing it to stop people game sharing, but it doesn't help those who want to upgrade to a newer model (if one does come out) or their system breaks and even Nintendo can't repair it and have to give a replacement. :-/

If your Wii U is bricked beyond repair odds are that there's a serial number within the console's architecture that's able to let Nintendo transfer your data and account to a replacement console. It'd be similar to what Nintendo used in order to detect whether your 3DS was legible for Ambassador Programs.

If your Wii U is bricked beyond repair odds are that there's a serial number within the console's architecture that's able to let Nintendo transfer your data and account to a replacement console. It'd be similar to what Nintendo used in order to detect whether your 3DS was legible for Ambassador Programs.

That'd be cool with me then. Unless they add something drastically different, I wouldn't want to upgrade to a later model anyway.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/11/18/nintendos-steams-up-the-wii-u-eshop

"That's what we love about the new eShop," said Haveri. "We have the power to price our products as we please, with just some basic guidelines from the big guys. The step to this is purely from Nintendos's side and they clearly see that [their] previous installments have not been up to par. We can set our own pricing and actually continuing on that by setting our own sales whenever we want. It is very close to what Apple and Steam are doing at the moment, and very indie friendly."

Pretty big news as being open to indie developers is something that's going to matter a lot this generation. Nice to see Nintendo actually getting an infrastructure like this right.

"Setting our own sales"? What does that mean?

If they want to put a special offer on, it;s presumably much easier for them to do so than PSN, XBL and with the Wii.

This is exactly what the case is with the the DSi, and I would assume with all their other systems too. If you wanted to trade your old unit in for a new one, you'd have to get on the phone to their customer support and give them both your old and new serial number that'll be printed someone on the unit and they'll transfer it.

This been posted yet?

Your Wii-U account is locked to the system you created it on.

So if anything goes wrong with your Wii-U, wave goodbye to your account. If you try and log in on another system, you get this message "This Nintendo Network ID has already been linked to another Wii U console."

Does that mean if you bought one and a year down the line you wanted to sell it you couldn't sell it because the account is hard locked to that Wii U or can you reset the account?

Got to admit that is a pretty shit move especially if you get a shit ton of DLC and say your system dies?sad.png

Edited by BW199148

"That's what we love about the new eShop," said Haveri. "We have the power to price our products as we please, with just some basic guidelines from the big guys. The to this is purely from Nintendos's side and they clearly see that [their] previous installments have not been up to par. We can set our own pricing and actually continuing on that by setting our own sales whenever we want. It is very close to what Apple and Steam are doing at the moment, and very indie friendly."

Oh gawd, yes. Another developer friendly system to take advantage of in the future. The game industry just keeps getting kinder and kinder to indie developers.

GOOD NEWS!

Wii U transfer includes online data (MKW, Brawl, etc) so it seems like only specific titles are affected. Lostwinds is one game that can't be moved over.

jIo8Z.jpg

Edit: Accidentally posted this in the NSMBU thread - New Yoshi's Island!

Implications of a new Yoshi's Island, more Metal Gear Solid, possibly more Metroid and Atlus localizing Soul Hackers? On top of Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101 and a new Smash eventually?

This is the best blunder Nintendo has ever done. GAF is comedy gold right now. Wii U console of the forever confirmed.

Does that mean if you bought one and a year down the line you wanted to sell it you couldn't sell it because the account is hard locked to that Wii U or can you reset the account?

Got to admit that is a pretty shit move especially if you get a shit ton of DLC and say your system dies?sad.png

The account can't be easily transferred to another unit because it's linked to the current one. It's easy to remove from a unit, you just delete the data from the current unit; I did this with my DSi when I passed it on to my niece. Any account my brother may set up for her is now linked to that unit, which cannot access my account at all.

If your system dies, or you get a new one for whatever reason, Nintendo has to oversee the transfer of the account (when I investigated back when the black Wiis came out, you had to send both the old and new units in for this). Once the account is transferred anything purchased with the account can be accessed or downloaded onto the new machine, but no longer onto the old one. The current FAQ on the Support page says you can't do a Wii U to Wii U transfer at this time, so that may be added later.

Edited by Thrippa

Implications of a new Yoshi's Island, more Metal Gear Solid, possibly more Metroid and Atlus localizing Soul Hackers? On top of Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101 and a new Smash eventually?

This is the best blunder Nintendo has ever done. GAF is comedy gold right now. Wii U console of the forever confirmed.

Possible new Yoshi's Island?

Yes....

Yes...

YES!!

For the love of all that is decent, please be true...

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_system_transfer.jsp?menu=how_to&submenu=wup-transfer-gi-data-multiple

Yay! You can transfer data from multiple Wiis, they will be merged on the WiiU! Very happy about this! Also those with hacked Wiis don't have to worry, your homebrew etc will stay on the Wii and I'm pretty sure the WiiU will not be damaged.

Also, the WiiU does not really upscale Wii games, it just has a better display because it's using HDMI rather than component. So ya it displays better, but it's not true upscaling. Still nice!