Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

It will take a while for hardcore gamers to accept the fact of Nintendo becoming hardcore once more since its SNES Era.

I was sold on the new console when it became clear that third parties were contributing to this system in a big way with Aliens, Darksiders, Metro, EA Sports and undoubtedly more. I was disappointed when GTA V didn't show up, but Rockstar did say that they wouldn't be attending E3 '11; they typically like to announce things on their own terms.

I need to see more core games to want it though.

I'm happy that they've got the third parties on board, too. I mean, ports will come at first, but later we should see some new experiences. It's also good because Xbox 360 and PS3 games can come to Nintendo platforms. I can see this console and controller have a lot of potential, but I guess it's just hard to get too hyped until we see more stuff later down the line. I'm interested though, and Smash Bros is great news.

I think that despite a bit of a disappointing presentation, the concept is definitely a step in the right direction. The games industry can't afford to ignore what's going on in home computers at the moment, which presents to us a prospect of every single person having their own touch-screen tablet. Anyone whose had the briefest muck-about with an ipad can see the potential of that design- it's more social, more elegant and easier to use than a laptop, and I think will slowly phase them out of the market in the next few years.

Anyway, I think the tablet design for the controller is a wise move in that regard, as it's quickly becoming the desired format for groups of people to share information. As with a tablet PC, one can easily pass the WiiU controller around a room to show off what's going on on their screen. What's more, they appear to have nailed the interactivity between the screen and television. You can bring up information on your own screen, edit it, scribble on it, and then show it to everyone on the big screen with just a flick of the finger. And likewise, with the cameras, it's very easy to pull info off the big screen and do your own thing with it. It's an inherently social experience, which is ironic, given how it gives everyone their own private screen.

Is this a suitable format for games? The unexpected success of the DS shows us that people are very eager to use touch pads to aid gameplay. I'm a little concerned by the shoehorning of so many buttons and controllers into what looks like an awkward controller to play with- can anyone imagine using both those analogue sticks and those face buttons? It all looks terribly awkward. Still, there's time for a redesign I suppose.

Lack of first-party games isn't too worrying, but it is a little disappointing - I think we'd all like an indication of how games are actually gonna work on this thing. Maybe the tech demos will do that.

I pretty much agree with everything said here.

I'm definitely intrigued by it, and I'm curious to know more details about it in terms of the specs, etc. What I really like in regards to the console itself is the ability to transfer the game from the TV to the screen on the controller and pick up from there. There's certainly a lot of potential with the technology the controller uses, so I'm really curious to see how it'll be implemented.

The main thing I really like though is the third party support, and from upcoming titles like Batman and Assassin's Creed, it looks like Nintendo is trying to ramp up as much third party support as they can, which is a big plus in my books.

So, other than Skyward Sword, there's the possibility of an HD Zelda game at work?

Well, while it's inevitable for them to bring a Zelda game, this is just a tech video, like the one they did for GameCube.

So, other than Skyward Sword, there's the possibility of an HD Zelda game at work?

Remember there was also a Zelda teaser for the Gamecube. Remember how that went.

Remember there was also a Zelda teaser for the Gamecube. Remember how that went.

A Wind Waker-like game in HD?

Me gusta

I know one thing though I better be able to plug my Gamecube controller into this mofo to play smash HD.

All I know is I'm going draw like no tomorrow using this thing. It's going to be fabulous.

I know one thing though I better be able to plug my Gamecube controller into this mofo to play smash HD.

Doubt it. :P

Using the 3DS as a controller for Wii U is still a possibility...

Yes, we got Wind Waker and it was great.

barring triforce fetch quests

Wind Waker was amazing. |:

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/

There's only pictures of the new console, but I can't access anything else regarding its specifications.

If anyone manages to do something about it, post a reply here. :D

Edited by Tatsumaki

Straight out of the Press Release PDF (spoilers in case)

Launches: 2012

Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button

controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional

barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the

video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home

button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a

built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo

speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once.

The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the

Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance

Board™.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density

optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI,

component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.

Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its

memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.

Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible

with Wii games and Wii accessories.

Note: Details are subject to change.

Straight out of the Press Release PDF (spoilers in case)

Launches: 2012

Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button

controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional

barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the

video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home

button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a

built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo

speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once.

The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the

Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance

Board™.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density

optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI,

component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.

Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its

memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.

Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible

with Wii games and Wii accessories.

Note: Details are subject to change.

Looks like the hi-rez graphics are official.

The controller itself has a lot of nice functions but I'm doubting how comfortable it is as an actual controller. Every time I think about actually playing a game on it that uses the circle pads and buttons, it doesn't seem right.

Also they need to do way more than just say 'We're making Smash Bros.' and show off a bunch of multi-platform games if they want me to actually buy this thing. There's also no price point.

Can you use more than one of those Wii U controllers on this btw? Or is it strictly one Wii U controller per Wii U Console thing? It seems like they go on about having the Wii U controller, and then 4 Wiimotes, IDK.

The controller itself has a lot of nice functions but I'm doubting how comfortable it is as an actual controller. Every time I think about actually playing a game on it that uses the circle pads and buttons, it doesn't seem right.

Also they need to do way more than just say 'We're making Smash Bros.' and show off a bunch of multi-platform games if they want me to actually buy this thing. There's also no price point.

Edited by Yong