Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Because it isn't a console engine. It's a PC engine cut down to work on the consoles that it can work on.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's exactly my point, why make it CPU intensive if that's almost never a console's strong suit? It's better suited as a PC game engine.

If that's the case then Frostbite 2/3 will be nowhere near as advanced as it is now, since it'll be exclusively catering to consoles...like Unreal Engine 3.

Edited by KrazyBean

Because it isn't a console engine. It's a PC engine cut down to work on the consoles that it can work on.

So then that begs the question. Why can't it run on Wii U since they already dumbed it down to run on the 360 and PS3? So, once again, it comes down to EA being lazy fucks. Though I don't think you were arguing against that persay.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

So then that begs the question. Why can't it run on Wii U since they already dumbed it down to run on the 360 and PS3? So, once again, it comes down to EA being lazy fucks. Though I don't think you were arguing against that persay.

Or, it's because they don't see the opportunity cost in it.

I've already said this, but worse CPU than 360 + third party software that isn't even breaking 10k, most notably EA's port of Most Wanted which went above and beyond = no point in pursuing an effort that takes time and money.

It's not as easy as you'd like to believe it is.

So Nintendo is doomed?

Don't kill me I have cookies.

Edited by The Kid

So whose to blame for their games not selling? The 3rd parties would always like to blame Nintendo, even though they didn't even put effort into releases on Nintendo consoles that had a huge audience. What, Nintendo should do what they did with the 3DS and give 3rd parties a chance to totally cock it up again? That also brings up how Nintendo does fine without them, unlike the other 2 console manufacturers.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Avalanche: "Wii U devkits are gathering dust, Nintendo hard to reach out to."

- Avalanche has no plans for Wii U

- Have a couple of Wii U dev kits that only collects dust

- Too small install base according to Sundberg

- Nintendo is hard to reach, you never know how to contact them

- Believes Nintendo has a lot to win with copying Sony, reach out to developers, create enthusiasm

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555162

That fourth point is an issue no matter how you slice it.

Is Nintendo seriously still hard to reach? With all Nintendo's indie enthusiasm lately, you'd think they'd be forcefully making themselves easy to reach for anyone. Many indies have said Nintendo is easy and cooperative to work with.. have these guys even tried lately, or are Nintendo just favouring indies too much and forgetting to keep relations with other devs?

Indie impressions on Nintendo development are almost always positive, other 3rd parties conflict with that heavily. What the hell is going on?

Edited by SuperLink

It sounds like Nintendo is somehow managing to completely bungle its much-publicized effort to win new friends across the industry this generation.

So what is up with Wii U? The console itself is seemingly invisible at the moment - I hear very little news about it, I see very little of it in my day to day goings ons. I don't even hear people talking about it, whereas I recall the Wii and even Kinect being discussed quite a bit when I'm at game shops or at work. Nobody I know (IRL) owns one or even talks about wanting one.

That's the big worry. I do hope that after a year or so they'll finally have a foothold and a stable audience for it, but right now, as a Nintendo fan, it's a bit worrying. I really enjoy the system itself and it has loads of potential but.. I'm also a bit worried that potential will never be realised.

It's not Nintendo going out of business I'm worried about (that simply won't happen), it's 4-5 years of an unfulfilled system fading into the background and getting next to no support for whatever reason.

It's a very quiet period so sure, it could change when more games come out in Q3 and 4, but it's still worrying how negative all the publishers and press are about it; and even more concerning how Nintendo have all these great options and they're choosing none of them. Nintendo's relations with publishers are bordering on "how the hell did it get this bad" bad.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 4

In every month between (and including) August and December this year, Nintendo itself has at least one "big" game coming out for the platform, plus that ad blitz which was mentioned recently. I can only hope that that (as well as the whole E3 thing, and Gamescom) turns some industry heads and makes developers and publishers alike look again at the system, but the rewards in support such a campaign being successful would sow in those terms wouldn't be felt for at least another year. In that time, unless the big games keep coming (and they'd need to be well into development even now), sales could very well slump back down and the original grim outlook could well be reasserted.

Nintendo, if nobody else, will realize the system's full potential, of that there is no doubt. I just want more third party stuff on there, because the gamepad is so great an improvement on old pad designs that, so long as the effort is put in, any multi-platform game the system sees ought to be the definitive version. It'll be such a shame to see that clearly great potential wasted away by shit like this.

• Thumbs Up 5

That's the big worry. I do hope that after a year or so they'll finally have a foothold and a stable audience for it, but right now, as a Nintendo fan, it's a bit worrying. I really enjoy the system itself and it has loads of potential but.. I'm also a bit worried that potential will never be realised.

It's not Nintendo going out of business I'm worried about (that simply won't happen), it's 4-5 years of an unfulfilled system fading into the background and getting next to no support for whatever reason.

It's a very quiet period so sure, it could change when more games come out in Q3 and 4, but it's still worrying how negative all the publishers and press are about it; and even more concerning how Nintendo have all these great options and they're choosing none of them. Nintendo's relations with publishers are bordering on "how the hell did it get this bad" bad.

Don't forget the retail partners. A lot of retailers, such as the supermarkets where a lot of people go for cheap games, aren't even stocking the Wii U or its games in store and are heavily discounting the system to clear stock online. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Right now the main worry is the atrocious haphazard 3rd party or industry-wide support, especially from western developers; and the worry that Nintendo is doing nothing to change it because it's been months and we're still seeing the same awful attitudes towards the system from companies like EA and Deep Silver.

We love what Nintendo do with their games, they're of a consistent quality, sure we may not see as many original IPs as we used to but we can wait on the old well known and loved franchises until the new stuff pops up in between. A couple of years back, Reggie said "we read the blogs, you want games", and so we got games.

With the WiiU we're already confident we're getting Nintendo games, that's not the issue anymore.

If Nintendo really are reading the blogs this time, I deeply hope they're aware that people desperately want them to close the remarkable fissures between themselves, 3rd parties, retailers, and the whole industry. They can't be successful and have a respected position in the industry as a famous brand alone.

It's frustrating to know exactly where a company you're particularly fond of is going wrong when they don't seem to be actively aware themselves. Maybe they're aware on a conceptual level as Iwata has said in his various addresses, but the difference between that and actually being aggressively active about those issues is huge. Why aren't Nintendo touring the West with big damn trucks and approaching every major third party with a fun-packed WiiU while telling them "this is why you should develop games for us, this is what we'll do for you".

/slight rant.

GAWD.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 6

- Too small install base according to Sundberg

>Install base starts out small

>Perception exists that nobody wants or owns the system

>Developers won't develop for it because install base is too small

>Perception of lack of games persists, slowing sales, leading to loss of retailer support, lowering sales further

>Developers still won't develop for it because install base is still too small

It's a vicious cycle that Nintendo and some brave third party is going to have to do a shit ton of work to break. Nintendo alone won't be able to do it, it needs third party support, and it needs some big games to play a part; Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, GTA, that kind of thing. Perceptions won't turn around overnight, but the more big third party titles it can secure, the quicker it'll go from bad to good. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's like when developers call the Wii U's install base small, and then release a 720 or PS4 game very early in their life.

It's like when developers call the Wii U's install base small, and then release a 720 or PS4 game very early in their life.

Those platforms have a more assured future simply because their installed bases are more likely to adopt in large numbers reasonably early on; they're predictable in their continued presence as consumers of those products. Meanwhile, Nintendo's last gen installed base was largely made up of people without that kind of brand loyalty, who might still have no idea the new system is even out there, and who aren't part of the target demographic of companies like Avalanche or Deep Silver anyways. That leaves Nintendo's core audience, which is predictable in its brand loyalty and which would probably buy Avalanche et al's wares, but which is also far too small a group for them to rely on. Nintendo needs to find a way to bring over in droves the kind of consumers the other platforms enjoy bevvies of, if it wants the third party support we want it to have.

• Thumbs Up 2

Microsoft and Sony also happily offset marketing and distribution costs for titles on those systems.

• Thumbs Up 4

EA is really getting stuck into Nintendo now. Confirmation has arrived that no less than 15 (fifteen) EA games are "unlikely" to arrive on the Wii U:

EA is going to skip the Wii U for 15 of its upcoming titles - including Mass Effect 4, Dragon Age 3 and its unannounced Star Wars games - due to the console's incompatibilities with DICE's Frostbite Engine 3.

DICE technical director Johan Andersson explained on Twitter that the Frostbite 2 engine wasn't running well on the Wii U, so it decided to abandon efforts to get its successor on Nintendo's latest console. "FB3 has never been running on WiiU. We did some tests with not too promising results with FB2 & chose not to go down that path," he wrote.

Elsewhere, Frostbite technical director Stefan Boberg noted that 15 games are currently in development at EA using Frostbite Engine 3 including Battlefield 4, Mass Effect 4, Dragon Age 3, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, Need For Speed 2013 and its unannounced Star Wars titles from Visceral and DICE. (Thanks, NeoGAF.)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-08-wii-u-to-miss-out-on-15-ea-games-using-frostbite-engine-3

I'd like to see Nintendo respond to this.

Damn :-/ Mass Effect 4 would have at least had a small audience who bought Mass Effect 3 on Wii U to cater to. Nintendo seriously need to get off their behinds and go talk to EA. 

What is it about FB2/3 that makes them incompatible with the system, and why couldn't that be resolved by, you know, working on it?

What is it about FB2/3 that makes them incompatible with the system, and why couldn't that be resolved by, you know, working on it?

Each statement on the matter makes me more and more sure that it's not a problem with the WiiU at all, but a relationship problem between EA and Nintendo.

Game engines take a long time to build; EA have probably been planning Frostbite 3 for many years and almost definitely were planning to eventually use it on WiiU back in their "unprecedented partnership" period with Nintendo. After all, why would they announce such a partnership if their upcoming engine didn't work on the new machine? Things have changed dramatically behind the scenes since then; we may never know why or how, but I think we can be certain that this is a conscious move from EA, not a happenstance.

Bloody ridiculous.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 7

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1412391-electronic-arts-management-discusses-q4-2013-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

What we've done is we've gone through a very detailed process to eliminate expenses associated with products that either aren't growing or aren't large enough or aren't on platforms that we feel are long-term viable in the industry.

tumblr_md5gq4PDE01r6fi2h.jpg

http://playeressence.com/eas-unprecedented-partnership-with-nintendo-and-other-fairy-tails/

Someone give this man respect. A gaming journalist who isn't bias and used facts. Bravo, man.

Yeesh, now it really sounds like EA is trying to either break nintendo to its will or cause another dreamcast, even though that is next impossible as a possibility

On another note, this article should really be spread around, has Tssz posted it yet?

Edited by Mandobardanjusik