Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

This displays a level of ignorance that I can scarcely comprehend. Both Sony AND Microsoft have powerful 1st party games to their name. They may not be as old as Nintendo's, but they're there all the same.

Yes for Sony, not so much for Microsoft. Halo, GoW, Fable and...um, yeah. I know there have been a few more, but there's barely any compared to Sony, so the 360 mostly relies on third parties. Edited by Gabz Girl

I suppose it depends on recognition on Nintendo's part. They've made their IPs so popular that they're pretty much the only reason anyone ever buys a Nintendo console.

They're all people buy their home consoles for because they're virtually all that's available that's of a high quality, thanks to Nintendo's dismissive attitude toward third parties (which is strikingly at odds with its recent courtship of the indie/mobile scene). If they got third parties on-side, people would buy them for those games too.

I'm going to say that, at this point, it's going to be a lot more difficult to bring people over to the Wii U crowd with 3rd party games if they aren't already satisfied with the 1st party offering. That's mainly if the 3rd party games are ports though, which they're likely going to be. Not even Ubisoft could keep their promise of Rayman Legends exclusivity.

It is rather odd that Nintendo seems to be focusing more on courting indie devs than AAA ones (the developers of C-Wars got a 3DS license while they still haven't gotten anything from Sony concerning a Vita port), though on the bright side, we could possibly be seeing plenty of indie titles, possibly even indie exclusives, on the Wii U and 3DS. Transistor in particular could work pretty well on the Wii U gamepad.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

Ted Price is currently doing a Q&A session on Reddit... Here is what he had to say on the Wii-U. 

"It's current gen and we have no plans to develop for it."

Q:What are your thoughts on next gen consoles? The new one from MS, PS4 and WII-U?

Insomniac CEO: Wii-U is something I'd consider more current gen - but we're not working on games for it.

When it comes to PS4 I'm excited that they seem to lowering barriers for independent developers. It's cool to see almost weekly announcements from Sony explaining how they're opening things up for indies.

And of course I'm very excited to see what Microsoft announces soon.

This is the worst news for Nintendo & the Wii-U since yesterday.

Source: Reddit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ted Price is currently doing a Q&A session on Reddit... Here is what he had to say on the Wii-U. 

Man...it would've really helped Nintendo if they just at least doubled the Wii U's overall power.

Man...it would've really helped Nintendo if they just at least doubled the Wii U's overall power.

A-and... doubling the price?

I really want to see Reggie and Iwata offer a candid response to all of these developers "dropping" support. Their silence is deafeningly conspicuous.

Yeah, I really hope in several years time if/when another generation comes round that Nintendo will get back to competing on power. They can't afford to keep missing out on all of these games that the PC and the other two consoles get.

I have a feeling that Nintendo will this year start to realize that most of the people who bought a Wii will never buy a Wii U. They'll have to then go cap-in-hand to third parties and beg forgiveness.

From what they said at E3 '11, I thought they already *tried* to get good with 3rd parties.

Obviously not enough.

Sigh.

You guys act like you never saw this coming. O.o

If the Wii U gets that bad that it's just beyond saving would Nintendo ever drop it completely Virtual Boy style and move onto the next project?

If the Wii U gets that bad that's just beyond saving would Nintendo ever drop it completely Virtual Boy style and move onto the next project?

It might well have its R&D teams beavering away on something right now, although as much as I would hope that they might in the next 3 years or so release a 'next gen ++' system that'll be everything the third parties want and more, I doubt they'll do anything of the sort.

This whole gen debate is fucking stupid, no thanks to a lot of people associated with EA or Deep Silver to some capacity stirring the pot while companies such as Activision, Ubisoft, Warner Bros, Gearbox, Vigil and Crytek all like to consider it otherwise.

The opinion of a celebrity has truly changed everything. Good luck with Fuse not being a complete bomb to those twelve-year old focus groups.

No reason to buy Wii U if you have a tablet, it's a '$300 Miyamoto box', says game exec

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=202342

This article is also calling Sony the "next Sega".

Okay.

I want the Wii U to be competitive. I really do. Its better for the industry that it doesn't fail. But Nintendo aren't really doing anything to show me that that it will be viable. A great device for sure, if you're a fan of Nintendo and their properties, but it appears to be little more than just that. 

C'mon Nintendo step it up!

This whole gen debate is fucking stupid,

Well... no it's not. In fact it's one of the reasons why the Wii got overlooked on a ton of stuff.

The fact is, the Wii U whilst a big leap from the Wii isn't much of a leap at all to the PS3 and Xbox 360. So if you're developing or planning to develop for the next gen consoles, you're not likely to take too many downgrades of your product so it becomes playable.

People were saying this months before the Wii U was even released and shock of all shocks, it's starting to be overlooked.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well... no it's not. In fact it's one of the reasons why the Wii got overlooked on a ton of stuff.

The fact is, the Wii U whilst a big leap from the Wii isn't much of a leap at all to the PS3 and Xbox 360. So if you're developing or planning to develop for the next gen consoles, you're not likely to take too many downgrades of your product so it becomes playable.

People were saying this months before the Wii U was even released and shock of all shocks, it's starting to be overlooked.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying Wii U isn't underpowered compared to it's upcoming competitors, in fact I've been pretty much arguing for that claim for quite some time. But the entire argument about what constitutes a "generation" of gaming is a largely completely pointless one no matter whether it's on the side that feels the need to justify the definition simply for the sake of feeling their console of choice isn't relevant enough, or the side that can't accept the notion that generations have for the longest time been defined by just that, and take offense to being bungled with a "lesser console". This argument didn't even exist before Nintendo switched up the entire status quo, and while I understand that hardware did see more conventional improvements because of such, there were still a substantial plethora of "lesser powered" consoles coming out from various console publishers.

I can agree per definition of it using "older gen technology", but why everyone needs to be so hung up about whether or not the Wii U can in any way be measured with whatever generation is going on or on the way is a stupid semantics argument, and one that doesn't necessarily matter in the long run as far as content goes. There are other aspects of the console provided which can class it as one of the next generation, and that doesn't purely revolve around hardware exclusively, even though that game pad is a large contributor to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Relatively speaking, Turbografx was nowhere near the power of MegaDrive.

Do people have constant disagreements about whether or not Turbografx is Gen4?? No.. I'm pretty sure everyone kind of takes its status as a Gen4 system for granted and is undisputed.

This is a stigma that has only affected Nintendo (and will probably never affect another dev regardless of their system's power) since the Wii, and "next-gen" became a dudebro buzzword for "better graphics/higher capabilities" when it doesn't mean that.

It's pretty bullshit.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 4

A-and... doubling the price?

I'm pretty sure that it'll still be cheaper than the PS4/NextBox even if they double its power...then again it depends on the prices of the PS4/NextBox in the first place.