Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I'd like to see a trailer like that, but I'm not really getting my hopes up.

I remember one year at E3 (the year after it was revealed) people were expecting tons of Brawl news at E3, we got like 4 seconds of footage and 3 screenshots.

Edited by SuperLink

BKbcHjZCQAAuXZh.jpg

y cant metroid crawl!?!??!

Wow. XD I've only played one Metroid game from start to finish (Metroid Fusion) and even I know what to do in those parts!

Unless these guys have never played this kind of game before, it shows you just how much games nowadays hold your hand throughout. We're not used to solving stuff in-game without explanation anymore!

The Wii-U's top selling game in the UK sold less than 1000 units.

But EA has pulled out of the Wii U because sales of both hardware and software are dreadful. We're not officially allowed to report sales numbers from Chart Track in the UK but everyone in the publishing business can see them quite clearly. There's no need for pretence. When you can get to number one in the Wii U charts by selling less than 1000 units it's no longer a tragedy, it's an actual farce.

And then the article gets a bit more... erm....

The Wii U has been defeated by the most humbling of challengers - consumer apathy. When the inevitable "Nintendo halts Wii U production" stories hit, the majority of those that bought the original Wii won't even notice. The mainstream bought the Wii because it was a fun novelty, they didn't buy it for a new Zelda game. What's the Wii U's novelty? That it does everything a current-gen console does but a little bit slower and with a Fisher Price tablet attached?

Nintendo can't compete with Microsoft and Sony, that's why they've pulled out of the E3 pissing contest. That's almost a dignified admission of defeat. If Nintendo shows off new Starfox, Zelda, Mario and Blast Corps titles next month in L.A. it's only going to be preaching to the converted. They will be drowned out by the bombast and great swinging balls of their rivals. What will the LA Times, Reuters, the BBC, Tech Crunch, Joystiq, VentureBeat, GamesIndustry International, Gamasutra and the rest of the media be prioritizing during E3? Anything that can lift the console business up off its knees and give it an adrenaline shot. That's the real story here, and the Wii U is a boxout of what went wrong.

There's also today's announcement that Sega is handing publishing duties of Sonic the Hedgehog over to Nintendo, like Sonic the Hedgehog still means something to the games player. It doesn't, it's a tired old mascot who jumped the shark when Sega painted him black and gave him a gun. This deal is Sega begrudgingly admitting it can no longer market and sell kids games, and its last hope in a world of Moshi Monsters and Angry Birds is Nintendo. And if Nintendo can't sell another company's mascot, well, Sega is now prioritizing PC gaming anyway.

Wowzers!

Though the article does point out a very good point. A next gen console has sold less than 1000 units of a game, and yet that was enough to get to the number 1 spot? Pathetic.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-17-nintendo-wii-u-death-by-apathy

And the award for most sensationalist article in the history of sensationalist bullshit goes to....

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, as bad as 1000 sales is (I'm guessing that's UK? Absolutely awful sales all around here, especially on Nintendo systems) that article was ridiculously melo and sensationalist. I feel like whoever was writing it was in the middle of an emotional breakdown.

In other news FIFA Soccer 14, the next game for EA's most successful franchise will not come to Wii U, due to poor sales of FIFA Soccer 13. Madden NFL 25 joins the list as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-02-madden-nfl-25-the-latest-ea-game-to-skip-wii-u-what-now-for-fifa-14

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

In other news FIFA Soccer 14, the next game for EA's most successful franchise will not come to Wii U, due to poor sales of FIFA Soccer 13. Madden NFL 25 joins the list as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-02-madden-nfl-25-the-latest-ea-game-to-skip-wii-u-what-now-for-fifa-14

EA aren't developing ANY games for the Wii U...end of story.

Shouldn't have come as a surprise since we found out a couple of days ago that EA have no games in development for it.

Just to let you guys know, that number is currently labeled as a rumor with no other confirmation from any other sources.

..Makes me double check the source after seeing the BS paragraph (lolworthy) seen above. Oh god..

Come on, Cas. Really now? Do you just want to stir the pot? That article just can't be taken with a straight face.

Sigh.

You know, considering it's EA, he'll probably get away free with it c:

I really hope this is posted everywhere to get this guy some bad press, but eh.

In my experience, stupid people can't help themselves from being stupid just because they've seen what happens to other stupid people.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bob Summerwill just sounds like a blinkered dick in the tweets.

ngjiCSq.png

- How come the Wii U version of Need For Speed Most Wanted was the best console version? Source. Clearly, the system is every bit as powerful as the PS3 & 360.
- Its online/store might not be great, but it is getting better.
- The tablet alone has made it by far the most used system in my household. Fuck the haters, it's amazing.

Nintendo isn't "walking dead" at all, the Wii U's just having trouble getting started. Time will tell if the situation will persist, or if it'll see a DS-style turnaround.

X9LtDTh.png

Just Dance 1 & 2 made a lot of money for Ubisoft, and the Wii versions of Guitar Hero did very, very well for Activision, if I remember correctly.

qEKMShq.png

• Thumbs Up 5

It's fine if he doesn't like the console, but he does come of as extremely unprofessional and a bit rude.

Damn, this just further damages their relationship.

Nintendo should try to bring back ISS. Apparently, that was a pretty good set of sports games exclusive to their systems in the 1990s.

It's fine if he doesn't like the console, but he does come of as extremely unprofessional and a bit rude.

Damn, this just further damages their relationship.

Well I dunno, part of me thinks Nintendo should be able to call him out on this on some kind of professional level? Get back at EA somehow? I don't know.

EA definitely have something "personal" against Nintendo. As personal as corporate identities can get, that is.

Fifa 13 for the Wii U was actually Fifa 12 with tweaks...

Damn it. You're making the jokes much too easy.

• Thumbs Up 7

Just saw your status Patty, and you do make a good point.

EA has also shafted 3DS support. ..That system is the #1 fastest selling handheld of all time. What's the excuse here?

qEKMShq.png

BUezjYf.jpg

Just Dance 1 & 2 made a lot of money

Love the conspiracy theories. It's just a software engineer expressing his personal opinion on his twitter account, folks. Common opinion among developers nowadays, not exclusive to EA by the way.

I doubt there's any secret motive behind EA's lack of support, simply cost-efficiency reasons. The WiiU can't handle the new Frostbite engine (that all of their internal teams use now) and since neither console nor games sell, they don't deem it worth the money scaling everything down for it.

• Thumbs Up 2