Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Not a snowball's chance in hell. Almost all focus will be on the new consoles.

So every major gaming journalist will just forget about Nintendo just because they don't have a big, showy conference?

Not a snowball's chance in hell. Almost all focus will be on the new consoles.

I'm sure if NIntendo revealed something huge like, say, Smash Bros, it'll turn plenty of heads.

No see, what's going to happen is that the PS4 and Durango are going to have the inevitable slow start that all consoles do at launch. Then, and only then, will the gaming press be full of hypocrites and start acting like Wii U is god's gift to man.

• Thumbs Up 1

So every major gaming journalist will just forget about Nintendo just because they don't have a big, showy conference?

The major "news" this E3 isn't Nintendo. It's Sony and Microsoft, they're the ones who are going to be coming out with brand new hardware, and both will signify their companies entering the next console generation. Nintendo had their chance twice, and they blew both. Journos and people simply aren't going to be that interested since Wii U's already been there and done that.

There'll be reports, sure, and I'm excited more about them than anyone else. But let's not kid ourselves; Nintendo are only going to be the footnote of the show and along mainstream journalists as well. Only when PS4 and Nextbox are out on the market can Wii U potentially rest easy with being relevant.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, but because the major "news" this E3 isn't Nintendo. It's Sony and Microsoft, they're the ones who are going to be coming out with brand new hardware, and both will signify their companies entering the next console generation. Nintendo had their chance twice, and they blew both.

There'll be reports, sure, but let's not kid ourselves; Nintendo are only going to be the footnote of the show and along mainstream journalists as well.

I'm pretty sure Smash 4 will turn quite a few heads if it's revealed.

EDIT: DAMMIT WRAITH

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

I'm pretty sure Smash 4 will turn quite a few heads if it's revealed.

EDIT: DAMMIT WRAITH

For anyone other than Nintendo fans?

To be completely honest, I don't know which sites you guys are going to. The Wii U gets negative press as a result of industry criticism, criticism from developers and third parties, particularly western ones. That's pretty bad, but as far as websites go, I see a fair bit of praise and supporting the underdog from them, especially from Destructoid lately.

I'm actually surprised at how positive Nintendo jouranlism is of late, what puts a downer on everything is the dropped western 3rd party support.

Also, I don't really know many people who don't enjoy a bit of Smash. Smash will turn heads, even if it's only briefly, because it's a battle of gaming icons, and something that even people who don't always dabble in Nintendo games can enjoy.

Of course Nintendo won't get the attention of the others, but to say it won't get positive responses from game sites is a bit too negative.

The Wii U is getting some fantastic games (Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, SSB, Sonic for me personally) but it is still going to suffer without FIFA Soccer and Madden. Europe is in love with FIFA Soccer and you saw the poor sales in the UK, it's not going to get any better without FIFA Soccer over there.

There's PES, but it is not as good as FIFA Soccer (or has the rep as strong as).

EDIT: Basically without EA games for Wii U, unless you hate EA or don't like any EA games you have to have another console alongside Wii U. You can't have Wii U as your only console.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately Nintendo consoles typically sell like shit in UK anyway.

I think UK's football fans are far too dudebro to buy their sports games on a childish Nintendo system.

I'm not saying it's not bad that EA isn't supporting the Wii U, it's definitely bad, but I don't think it'll make as big a difference in UK as all that. People don't buy consoles for multiplat games afterall, no one of the FIFA demographic is gonna buy a Wii U for FIFA, but the lack of it might turn them off further (assuming the Nintendo brand didn't send them hightailing from point one)

I think UK's football fans are far too dudebro to buy their sports games on a childish Nintendo system.

I'm not saying it's not bad that EA isn't supporting the Wii U, it's definitely bad, but I don't think it'll make as big a difference in UK as all that. People don't buy consoles for multiplat games afterall, no one of the FIFA demographic is gonna buy a Wii U for FIFA, but the lack of it might turn them off further (assuming the Nintendo brand didn't send them hightailing from point one)

It's not just the UK, it's the whole of Europe. Europe loves FIFA, and that's where EA gets most of its money from.

• Thumbs Up 1

And Nintendo has about 4 times as much money as EA. Seriously, EA trying whatever they're trying to do to Nintendo is like a house cat trying to take on a Lion.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's not just the UK, it's the whole of Europe. Europe loves FIFA, and that's where EA gets most of its money from.

Fortunately Nintendo is much bigger in Europe as a brand than it is in UK. France and Germany are some of Nintendo's strongest regions on the planet, iirc.

And Nintendo has about 4 times as much money as EA. Seriously, EA trying whatever they're trying to do to Nintendo is like a house cat trying to take on a Lion.

No. EA's market captal is about 7Bn, Nintendo's is about 15Bn. Hyperbolic.

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as I'm aware, the EA Sports games sold pretty well on the Wii and in some cases got higher ratings than the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions early on because the motion control and/or pointer control schemes were apparently better. The same happened with PES. 

Fortunately Nintendo is much bigger in Europe as a brand than it is in UK. France and Germany are some of Nintendo's strongest regions on the planet, iirc.

Well that can weaken due to the fact that no EA games (and FIFA Soccer) will come to the Wii U.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

Yeah, that's a lot of games...but I still will only get the new 3D Mario, the new Zelda (which will probably be out in 2014-2015), Sonic Lost World and SSB4 when I buy a Wii U. Maybe also The Wonderful 101 too.

Edited by KrazyBean

Super Smash Bros. is going to catch peoples' attention as always, but I didn't really see much in that video (with the exceptions being Bayonetta, X, and SMTxFE) that diverged from the type of stuff Nintendo's been doing for years now.

Don't get me wrong, it's looking stellar for Nintendo fans, and I'm happy for you all, but I'm seriously confused as to how this is being seen as a huge game-changer. The industry's had their eyes off of this stuff for a while now, and all eyes are turned towards the technological innovations of the PS4 and Xbox.

I am glad that Nintendo's at least starting to please their own fans who felt they adopted early, but I wish they'd branch out some more.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nintendo really doesn't need EA, I know people try to argue that they do, but the majority of the best selling games titles are Nintendo's own. It's really unprecedented how much money they swim in. They have the second highest total revenue in the game industry, only topped by some Japanese company that makes smartphone apps at 15.1 billion dollars, Nintendo has 15 billion. Let's put it this way, Nintendo's only rival in game sales is CoD and CoD only manages to outpace Mario due to being on 5 platforms as opposed to 2.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo really doesn't need EA, I know people try to argue that they do, but the majority of the best selling games titles are Nintendo's own. It's really unprecedented how much money they swim in. They have the second highest total revenue in the game industry, only topped by some Japanese company that makes smartphone apps at 15.1 billion dollars, Nintendo has 15 billion. Let's put it this way, Nintendo's only rival in game sales is CoD and CoD only manages to outpace Mario due to being on 5 platforms as opposed to 2.

Nintendo are in fact making a loss at the moment.....

Not an EA fan whatsoever, but I really don't see anything wrong if they did have support from them. 

I love Nintendo's first parties, but it'd be nice for the Wii U to be more than just a console to play the occasional first parties.

Edited by canderson

People buy the Wii and Wii U thinking, "This console's going to get FIFA, Mass Effect, Madden..." but now...

Wii U will probably still do well in places like NA and JPN when EA Sports games are quite inferior, but FIFA Soccer is a huge loss to Nintendo on its own.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

Nintendo are in fact making a loss at the moment.....

And they'd have to make a loss of 20 billion yen a year for about 50 years to even consider shuttering. They also made a profit in Fiscal Year 2013, so I don't even know what you're talking about. They made a profit of 7.2 Billion Yen. Also, you SERIOUSLY think people bought a Wii for FIFA, Ming? Especially when they're half assed piles of crap that have even less effort put into them than the normal yearly release? I'm sorry, but are you high? Look, what Summerwill said was a dickish thing, but he's right about EA not even holding a candle to Nintendo on its own platforms. Nothing they made sold well on it except for Boom Blox. Europe is also Nintendo's smallest market by a longshot.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Who said anything about going third party? He just pointed out that they are posting losses despite the high revenue.

Revenue by itself is a fairly useless number anyway. Sony's revenue is about 20% higher than Nintendo's, but I'm sure Sony would be pretty damn envious of Nintendo's operating income even though it is a loss.

Well.. Wii U might not have EA but it does have someone else that is blue. Maybe that'll help?

• Thumbs Up 1