Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

The whole idea is that it's suggesting Nintendo is hurting, they won't be hurting for several decades.

And they'd have to make a loss of 20 billion yen a year for about 50 years to even consider shuttering. They also made a profit in Fiscal Year 2013, so I don't even know what you're talking about. They made a profit of 7.2 Billion Yen. Also, you SERIOUSLY think people bought a Wii for FIFA, Ming? I'm sorry, but are you high? Look, what Summerwill said was a dickish thing, but he's right about EA not even holding a candle to Nintendo on its own platforms. Nothing they made sold well on it except for Boom Blox.

My bad on that one.

However, that doesn't mean Nintendo doesn't need EA. Fact is, if they had EA's support, they'd be better off. If FIFA and Madden was coming to the Wii U, it would make it a more appealing choice to the average consumer than without them. 

They would be better off, but they're not boned like any of its rivals in the race. Nintendo is a very wise, or perhaps sly, company that's been around long enough to live off its own efforts.

It is rather silly to see people keep acting like Nintendo will die tomorrow with (currently) poor Wii U sales and lack of 3rd party support (what else is new?), but they won't. I think people keep telling themselves and others that the Wii U/Nintendo are dead/doomed because they can't handle the fact that Nintendo doesn't play by the rules and do what's expected of them, yet still not only turn a profit, but do well. Sony and Microsoft may be in better positions from the average gamers POV right now, though goodness knows how long that will last if any of the more negative rumours are true about their future systems, especially given a new generation.

Nintendo are one of the most resourceful companies in the business, and at the end of the fray I expect them to be the last ones standing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I think it's the week before E3 or something, right? Good news to me, since that'll be the only news that day. I won't have to wade through PS4 and Durango stuff to see it.

Man, Nintendo just keeps giving us shit.

I guess they wanted to get the reveals out of the way and focus on showing how they play and stuff at E3.

Edited by Soniman

It'll probably be 10th of June, 9th at the earliest, same as the other conferences.

Don't forget that E3 starts on the 11th, the conferences, too, are typically before E3. So Nintendo saying their next Direct will be before E3 is nothing out of the ordinary unfortunately!

I think maybe after Retro's next game, they should either have Retro try that Football game again or at least get more employees and split them up

Also about EA...

anyone remember when EA teased about those game changing Wii U exclusive features that future Wii U sports games would have. lol..

Fact of the matter is their stuff didn't sell, most likely due to it being shit. I mean, FIFA 13 was FIFA 12 relabeled, that was it. What I find funny is that there is no way they thought that would sell. Not even EA can be run by people that arrogant.

Some discounts

New Super Mario Brothers U (A must have!!) is $39.99 at Amazon! It's a steal!

Lego City Undercover (Another great title - and it comes with a free LEGO) is also $39.99 at Amazon. I'd pick that up.

I think maybe after Retro's next game, they should either have Retro try that Football game again or at least get more employees and split them up

Honestly despite Retro's great talents, Miyamoto's intervention was pretty much entirely a good thing. The only three games they had going for the Gamecube that were originally in development for it was basically an RPG, Madden and a Twisted Metal ripoff. Retro might have changed since, but back then, original ideas weren't exactly something I'd have entrusted them to make. If they do make a new IP for the Wii U it better be under heavy supervision at least.

Well, there's always PES for Wii U...also, it's not the exact same genre, but Nintendo could use Sega's partnership and ask them to do a Wii U version of Football Manager alongside the PC one (They can give some help too if they need more people) That's one of Sega's best sellers, especially in Europe

Fact of the matter is their stuff didn't sell, most likely due to it being shit. I mean, FIFA 13 was FIFA 12 relabeled, that was it. What I find funny is that there is no way they thought that would sell. Not even EA can be run by people that arrogant.

It's FIFA Soccer 12 with tweaks, not relabeled. I don't recall FIFA Soccer 12 (PC/PS3/360) with Gamepad support.

Well, there's always PES for Wii U...also, it's not the exact same genre, but Nintendo could use Sega's partnership and ask them to do a Wii U version of Football Manager alongside the PC one (They can give some help too if they need more people) That's one of Sega's best sellers, especially in Europe

Football Manager fans will always use the PC. They will not move to the Wii U if it's also coming out on PC. Which will piss off the Football Manager fans like it Lost World pissed Sonic PS/MS fans if exclusivity happens.

And since Football Manager is actually a great seller in Europe on PC, unless Nintendo backs them with cash Sega *will* lose money with making Football Manager exclusive. 

PES is not the same as FIFA Soccer. Most teams and stadiums in that game are not licensed. Like Chelsea Football Club will be called Lions Football Club. No stadiums like Stamford Bridge, Emirates Stadium and Anfield. They only English club licensed in the game is Manchester United (no surprise there). However, if you are a Spanish, Netherlands or French leagues fan you are covered with all their clubs and stadiums.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

Are you trying to justify what EA did or just trying to be argumentative for the sake of it? It doesn't change the fact that it was FIFA 12, it wasn't the same core game any other platform got.

That is pretty bad. Mind you, the ad does explain what the boy does with the GamePad. Not sure if the picture on it is correct as I don't have the game, though. And the console is there.

They also have a new advert style for 3DS games over here, though it's nice.

Edited by MarcelloF

"Why aren't any of the hardcoor gamers or third parties backing us up? What are we doing wrong?!"

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

PES is not the same as FIFA Soccer. Most teams and stadiums in that game are not licensed. Like Chelsea Football Club will be called Lions Football Club. No stadiums like Stamford Bridge, Emirates Stadium and Anfield. They only English club licensed in the game is Manchester United (no surprise there). However, if you are a Spanish, Netherlands or French leagues fan you are covered with all their clubs and stadiums.

Actually, with PES it's usually who they can license on a club by club basis. They had one year where only Chelsea and Arsenal were licensed, and another year where it was Liverpool and Newcastle, but yeah, I think Man United are one of the constants these days.

Nintendo really need to rethink their ad strategy for the Wii U. I mean, I don't think you can gain/lose too many sales from print ads anyway, because it's a console that you need to see or experience to get what it is. It's certainly not a console you can use social advertising for.

Is Nintendo doing all those road shows like they did with the Wii? I don't remember hearing anything about any. Seems odd that they wouldn't.

The other thing with these adverts which didn't occur to me before.

These were aparently found in two videogame magazines, not sure which ones. But I ask you, the adverts are aimed clearly at the parent market right? Well... do parents really buy videogame magazines to read themselves?