Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Why not? Depends on how old the kids are! :D

I was thinking earlier; many of the original Mario (and I guess Sonic!) fans must be in their late 20s or 30s by now, so they'd purchase these kinds of game for not just themselves but probably for their kids as well.

Or using the kids as an excuse to play games! XD

He'll be hired by SEGA right away.

Given Nintendo and SEGA's partnership, he/she might be working for SEGA already. They probably loaned him/her to Nintendo for these ads.

Is Nintendo doing all those road shows like they did with the Wii? I don't remember hearing anything about any. Seems odd that they wouldn't.

They are in the UK. I posted about it recently some pages back.

Nintendo Unleashed Tour Coming To 2013 MCM London Comic Con

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/nintendo_unleashed_tour_coming_to_2013_mcm_london_comic_con

Hope one of the future stops is Birmingham as usual. 

Those...aren't very good.

But I did see a tv advert not too long ago for LEGO City and it wasn't too bad! It was a typical scene of dad and son playing the game, but at least they showed some actual gameplay footage!

..Hey guys. I just realised something.

Remember when EA said "unprecedented partnership"? They weren't lying.

We just assumed it meant the 

good kind of unprecedented ;p

• Thumbs Up 3

More EA bollocks.

FIFA 14 is Skipping Wii U Because of "Disappointing" FIFA 13 Sales

Not even the "award-winning HD gameplay" could save it

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/fifa_14_is_skipping_wii_u_because_of_disappointing_fifa_13_sales

Award winning in that they took Fifa 12, relabeled it, and left a ton of bugs at release? Excellent.

• Thumbs Up 6

And yet if FIFA 14 sells less on the PS4/720, they'll still support.

Oh, and by the way, EA. How was the FIFA 13 sales on the 720/PS4?

Oh, and by the way, EA. How was the FIFA 13 sales on the 720/PS4?

Oh come on. You know that's a terrible argument.
  • Thumbs Up 4

My first point still stands. I'm more pissed off at devs who don't treat all consoles with equal care than if a console doesn't get a game. I mean, sure, last gen was understandable, but not this one.

My first point still stands. I'm more pissed off at devs who don't treat all consoles with equal care than if a console doesn't get a game. I mean, sure, last gen was understandable, but not this one.

It applies just as much this gen if one system is still markedly different to develop for than the others.

And regardless, your point doesn't stand. Nintendo systems have always been a weaker source of sales for EA than Microsoft and Sony ones. Furthermore, the Wii U's userbase is shoddy right now. The PS4/720 are expected to do well, and so EA is doing right by supporting the platforms with new games right off the bat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course it's impossible to predict how popular those systems will be right off the bat.. the PS3 and Vita surprised everyone in how unpopular they were to begin with.

However, if they're affordable, they're going to get a lot of attention for being "the places where you can get the latest call of duty with even better graphics"

and (unfortunately or not?) that e-peen demographic is pretty huge. What better way to prove you have a bigger penis than all the other boys in school than owning a shooting game with better graphics and more detailed muscles on the men than their shooting game?

Like Blue Blood said, there's a difference between supporting a console that has a userbase that just isn't interested and supporting a console which can go any possible way. EA already tried (in a pathetic way might I add) to drum up support for the Wii U with a number of key launch titles but it failed and didn't do as well as they hoped, and seeing how their games never really did all that great on Nintendo hardware there was no reason to pursue it further, not until there's a base on there that proves to be of a quantity enough and one that's also dedicated to buying those games. There's something of a colloquial mantra among publishers, and as much as many don't like to admit it, it's actually kind of true. "Nintendo fans are all talk, no bite". Most people who own a Nintendo console these days aren't interested in a lot of titles that these publishers would offer, and throughout the previous three consoles and the varying third party titles they received (which honestly the Gamecube had a respectable amount of) that has almost always been the case.

On the other hand it's in the publishers' best interest to make games for the PS4/720 and build it's library because that's the brand where they've always thrived and made the most money, mostly because that's where the entirety of their base is.

By complaining about this kind of company strategy you're effectively being something of a hypocrite seeing how Sega is doing this exact same thing to the Sonic brand on the Wii U. If a company doesn't want to support the Wii U on account of finding there to be a lack of opportunity cost in making the port or how much money it takes to make it work on different architecture, people won't pursue it unless it's been proven that they're going to make a success out of it. Ubisoft has more room for leeway since most of their games are worked under cost efficiency and they have a great history with Nintendo hardware. That's why you still see them drumming up support, which is also why Sega is on board.

Well hang on a second.

How on earth do you know Nintendo is all innocent in all this?

We all like to bitch about EA, worst company and all.

But we also know EA. Fifa here in Europe is going to be number 1 in week 1 on EVERY system, I think the only franchise that could rival it would be Call of Duty and maybe GTA.

Now it's not just 'oh no Fifa for the Wii-U' but it's 'No games at all for the Wii-U'... ... ... .Why? The only thing I can think of that makes any sense, especially since Fifa 14 is getting a Vita release, Nintendo have something in their current release contracts which EA don't like, or Nintendo has done something which means EA would be restricted or limited in some way.

I do not buy for one second, know how much EA loves to milk it's franchises that it's dropped support of a console without the people behind that console having done or said something that means they share some responsability for that decision?

• Thumbs Up 1

What's with the rumors about EA titles being exclusive on the nextbox?

Hogs is probably onto something. There has always been rumors circulating about Nintendo prohibiting certain practices EA tends to like. I think right now it's probably related to content control in some way, since Nintendo is pretty protective about their stuff and doesn't like people using it in ways they don't. The major reason probably is due to the average Nintendo consumer not giving a rat's ass about EA, though.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

What's with the rumors about EA titles being exclusive on the nextbox?

EA has exclusive reveals lined up for Nextbox tomorrow. While it might be just Microsoft typically billing for the spotlight to be all on them, some are speculating this might have to do with EA having an exclusivity deal for next gen platforms. The rules dictate for properties like Fifa to be on "most of all consoles", but that's mostly being covered by all the current gen consoles already.

That said I don't see it having to do anything with EA not supporting the Wii U since it's already been established that the key reason they're not on the Wii U is cause all EA's games in development are on Frostbite. I'm more inclined to believe it has more to do with EA already not supporting the console.

That said I don't see it having to do anything with EA not supporting the Wii U since it's already been established that the key reason they're not on the Wii U is cause all EA's games in development are on Frostbite. I'm more inclined to believe it has more to do with EA already not supporting the console.

(EA Sports games don't run Frostbite)

The sooner we accept that EA simply -don't want- their games on Nintendo systems for the time being the sooner this thread can stop being the "why does EA hate the Wii U" thread. :C

Seriously, any reason we can come up with, Frostbite, bad relations, bad sales, basically boils down to "they don't want to". Engines can be scaled (Unreal 3 on Wii), sales can be overlooked (Activision on Wii U). Until we know more (if we ever do) there's not too much point in entertaining the subject endlessly with our own headaches imo.

Edited by SuperLink

Makes me wonder if EA will bother returning if there's a boom this holiday season.

Edit: Precursor interview

NE: Well, a lot of developers have given negative feedback in regards to Wii U being a more like a current-gen platform. How has it fared so far with CryEngine 3 as you have been working with it? You seem to be pushing out some pretty looking graphics so far…

Paul: Yeah, CryEngine 3 fully supports Wii U and it’s been a great system to work with so far. And in regards to Shadow of the Eternals, beautiful visuals are just one part of the experience. There are many different pieces that all come together for this experience and the Wii U handles that complete package very well. So, we’ve had no problems so far and we’re not at all concerned about what the Wii U can handle.

Edited by Autosaver

Whoever directed that needs to get on directing TV or internet spots, asap.

I thought Nintendo's marketing was terrible LOL.

Well, they don't advertise well in places where it matters.