Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

EA have been extremely weird about this whole thing, what with the downright insults toward the system and everything. I do wonder what really went on between them and Nintendo.

I like how last gen was considered a "Wii360" by most near the beginning considering the PS3's horrid start. I do wonder what this gen will have in store for us after E3 and if it'll be a "PSUWiiU4"?

Edited by EuroMIX

Set your calendars to stun...

[iwata] Hello. We already announced we will have another #NintendoDirectEU at E3, but now we can share the date/time: 11/6 at 3pm BST.

LET THE MEGATONS COMMENCE

So, a new Need for Speed was announced and it's running on the Frostbite 3 engine. So, it's not coming to the Wii U.

"Yeah, Frostbite is not really set up for Wii U. I don't have all the information, so it wouldn't be right for me to speak about it. Frostbite 3 is a really capable engine, it's scalable and it gives us a big advantage on the next generation to support the Xbox One and the PS4, but it's not being developed on the Wii U."

.........Wait

it's scalable and it gives us a big advantage on the next generation

it's scalable

scalable

Oh EA. U so silleh

I thought it's obvious that with Wii U's architecture and EA not developing games for the Wii U due to low returns makes it clear that Frostbite isn't worth the time, money or effort for them.

It's not a dispute about Frostbite not being able to run on the Wii U. It's the fact that making it run isn't worth the effort if they're not going to develop games for the Wii U and if it can't be done with a quick rush job anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

But then why release it on the 360 and PS3 also? That makes me people go "eeeeh, I don't need a new console to play this". They're gonna see some damn low sales on the Xbox One and PS4 versions.

But then why release it on the 360 and PS3 also? That makes me people go "eeeeh, I don't need a new console to play this". They're gonna see some damn low sales on the Xbox One and PS4 versions.

Because those platforms are by far the most financially viable atm.

We know it's scaleable, they scaled it for mobiles, but EA just don't see themselves making money on the Wii U this year.

They don't want to, that's what it boils down to.

On the 360/PS3 there is far more of a console base that's guaranteed to keep sales afloat. The consoles also have an architecture that gels better with Frostbite so it's easier to port.

PS4 and Xbox One have far superior architectures that will be able to run the game and engine no problem. It's cost efficient and easy to do so, and publishers will want to build a library for those consoles as well because it's in their best interest to support the consoles. Those brand name consoles is where they've made the most money, and it doesn't matter whether their games there underperform at launch or not. They're going to continue building a library for those because that's where most of their market lies.

Wii U has a complex architecture that doesn't make Frostbite easy to port, and has a lot of inferior aspects to it than current gen consoles. It's also a console where EA has not made much money from at all. On top of that, their games on the Wii never did that good either, so there's no reason to believe that Wii U will be worth the effort for them historically. In fact, no third party game has done substantially well on Wii U.

Do the math.

I think I brought this point up a while ago, but EA wouldn't scale an engine to work on one game. Scaling it would be a one time job and would allow 15+ new games to come to the Wii U.

Need for Speed series sold pretty well on the Wii if I'm not mistaken. Battlefield 4 also seems like it could win over a lot of Wii U fans. Then there's the rest we have no idea about. I really do feel the Wii U is about to burst with sales and since these games are not coming out anytime soon, it might be possible that EA will change their minds later on.

On top of that, their games on the Wii never did that good either

..The sales actually were pretty decent, especially for games that were the low-budget versions. There would be no reason for yearly releases on the Wii if they did so bad.

Their sports games sold decent too. Fifa has done quite some sales on the Wii.

In fact, no third party game has done substantially well on Wii U.

Just Dance sold over 5 million copies.

Sonic and the Secret Rings sold 2 million copies.

Resident Evil 4 sold 2 million copies.

Guitar Hero sold over 2 million copies.

Epic Mickey sold 2 million copies.

Monster Hunter Tri sold over 2 million copies.

EA Sports Active sold 1.8 Million copies. (HUE HUE AN EA GAME LEL)

Rayman sold 1.2 million copies.

Call of Duty sold over a million copies.

Red Steel sold over a million copies.

We Ski sold over a million copies.

Carnival Games sold over a million copies.

According to this article, third parties did best on the Wii than ever before.

Edited by Autosaver

81s6UGJ6o-L.jpg

For some reason SEGA thinks you don't know a Wii U game is for.. Wii U

For some reason SEGA thinks you don't know a Wii U game is for.. Wii U

Where is that pic from some newspaper that says "Wii U games don't work on the Wii!" when I need it.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/18854/1/wii-u-uk-sales-skyrocket-on-amazon-uk-after-xbox-one-showing.html

On Amazon UK sales of the Wii U system jumped 800+%, from the 390th hottest item all the way up to the 40th. As of the writing of this article, it is ranked 3rd in the "PC & Video Games" catogery, right after Fifa 14 PS3 and Fifa 14 360.

Take a look for yourself at Amazon's "movers and shakers" page:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames

Holy shit!?

I know it's not the best sales it could have, but damn o~o I didn't see that coming.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 7

Someone should check the Fifa Wii U sales.

(I'd lol if it was in the top 10...)

Soo.. serious time. Is the Wii U being in the top 50 on Amazon good, or nothing to be overly proud of? We knew the Wii U was severely underperforming before, and whether this marks the beginning of a more steady success now that people have judged the competition, who knows.

Also I know Amazon US don't get on with Nintendo as well.. will this success be repeated there, do you think?

Soo.. serious time. Is the Wii U being in the top 50 on Amazon good, or nothing to be overly proud of? We knew the Wii U was severely underperforming before, and whether this marks the beginning of a more steady success now that people have judged the competition, who knows.

Also I know Amazon US don't get on with Nintendo as well.. will this success be repeated there, do you think?

Well considering it was in the 400's not long ago, I'd call this pretty good for them.:P 

It's possible a lot of people were waiting for the reveal of Next Gen systems before buying a Wii U, seeing if they were going to be 10x better.

..Then the fire nation attacked One happened.

Edited by Autosaver

That's pretty much what I thought- people were holding off on the U until they could see how things were looking across the board. This surge in sales is only being reported on Amazon and only on the UK site at the moment. So while it's insanely funny and most certainly good for Nintendo, it doesn't actually mean very much at all. It's got remain selling well across the board and throughout the world before it's worth shouting about.

Microsoft's got to get E3 out of the way yet, let's not forget.

I'm tempted to buy a wii-U myself, however I have a limited gaming budget, and have decided to track down a saturn and a dreamcast instead, hopefully for less money. May try putting it on my birthday/christmas wishlist, doesnt mean I will get it though, but a guy can hope :)   

Clearly the recent news of a Sonic game pushed the WiiU sales up

Seriously though. I don't blame people buying into Nintendo's machine after all we've seen and heard. The XBone reveal was a total dumpster fire