Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

So we can say that, unless Microsoft does something about it, the main competition will be between Wii U and PS4?

• Thumbs Up 1

At least for everywhere that isn't the US. I don't know, I don't have faith in my own people to not see the Xbone for the BS it is.

• Thumbs Up 5

I suppose a lot of it depends on where the games everyone wants lie. If the PS4 really if the most powerful of the three then it's likely that people may want it over the Xbone for multi-platform titles, especially if it doesn't punish their gaming habits, but then people might be happy with the Wii U versions seeing as everything can be more easily scaled now and the differences might not be enough to care about given the possible price difference. The main thing standing in Nintendo's way is devs/pubs like EA outright swearing off the system even when ports are obviously possible.

iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif

That gif is going to see so much use over the coming weeks and months. This one might not, but it's pretty goddamn epic nevertheless:

6hT5x.gif

I just love how quickly GAF (and everyone else) jumps from one hype train to the other. It's all part of the fun of being a gamer!

• Thumbs Up 7

The best part is the WiiU, by its own merits, remains just as appealing/unappealing as it was a week ago. It is truly a testament to how much the bar has been lowered with the One.

Iwata should send Ballmer a box of chocolates or something.

iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif

I have yet to find a variation of this gif that fails to be good. Amazing.

Awesome! I really enjoyed the Wii game.

I'm still disappointed that ExciteBots never got a PAL release. sad.png

Same :c I really wanted it.

I'm thinking of importing it one of these days but importing games is a drag.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of getting the boxed version of New Super Luigi U, it's just been reduced to £29.99 on GAME.co.uk (it was originally listed as £39.99) - not a bad deal!

• Thumbs Up 2

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of getting the boxed version of New Super Luigi U, it's just been reduced to £29.99 on GAME.co.uk (it was originally listed as £39.99) - not a bad deal!

I'll be buying that then! Much nicer than the DL version.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would people consider Super Luigi U as DLC "done right" (aside from the fact that it's also a physical release)?

Would people consider Super Luigi U as DLC "done right" (aside from the fact that it's also a physical release)?

I would indeed

Because it started development after the game was finished, offers a lot of new stuff, and yet is totally optional, just for people who want it. If you don't buy it you're not missing out on anything that will affect the main game.

I'm pretty proud of Nintendo for it, and that's even considering how I feel about NSMB in general. NSLU could even turn out to be my favourite of the series, despite being DLC!

You know, Nintendo said they would have one NSMB game per console, so this could mean they plan on giving NSMBU long-term support, I wonder if different DLC packs with different characters will be available in the future??? New Super Peach U please!!!

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 3

Because it started development after the game was finished, offers a lot of new stuff, and yet is totally optional, just for people who want it. If you don't buy it you're not missing out on anything that will affect the main game.

For me the problem is when it's literally a piece of the original game cut out and sold back to you later, and it's clumsily ousted on you via poorly implemented NPC's requesting help then asking you for fork over more money and the like.

I can understand that DLC may need to cut into the original development time somewhat in order to create the necessary hooks for it, and I'm fine with this as long as the game feels complete regardless.

I've always gone by the mantra: "make it decent, make it good value and make it worthwhile".

You know, Nintendo said they would have one NSMB game per console, so this could mean they plan on giving NSMBU long-term support, I wonder if different DLC packs with different characters will be available in the future??? New Super Peach U please!!!

I'd love a NSMBU2 with Red Toad and Peach just for nostalgia's sake, but that probably wouldn't work and would be far too lofty.

Even though Luigi U could easily be considered bending the rules a little, considering it's also getting a physical release, I do prefer the idea of building on current games rather than throwing new ones out willy-nilly.

The best part is the WiiU, by its own merits, remains just as appealing/unappealing as it was a week ago. It is truly a testament to how much the bar has been lowered with the One.

Iwata should send Ballmer a box of chocolates or something.

Of all of the next generation systems, the Wii U might be the only "good old fashioned" one, for which games can be easily shared, lent and sold, and where the vast majority of developers still aim to release their games as complete products, and not rely on crappy online modes and DLC. In the end, it could be that the games choice, and not system hardware or features, will determine which the console is the 'best.'

With Nintendo having a raft of its own games coming out in the latter half of the year, it should have a decent head start as far as the quantity and quality of its system's games goes; MS and Sony's platforms' first year games will be launching while Nintendo ramps up for a second year of hopefully awesome releases. If Nintendo drops the ball with another long drought next year, however, that game gap will close quickly and that side of the overall race will tighten considerably.

Sales-wise, I do not expect Nintendo to hold its lead for long.

To be fair I can understand why Nintendo held a lot of its big games till this year or after, especially if they are going to be competing with the Xbox and Playstation

It wasn't intentional to position all these big names from halfway through the year on-wards, it was purely accidental, thanks to a lot of resources having to be drawn from the various dev teams to deal with the Wii U's launch.

Just jumped on that deal; thanks for the heads up! Surprised they're shooting for such a low price with it, considering it's still practically a whole new game in it's own right. Would definitely jump on more of this type of thing, especially if it's a Peach version.

That tease of Peach's Tanooki suit at the end of 3D Land still stings, Nintendo. D:

By the way, anyone know how much NSLU is gonna be digitally? Since it's DLC, I'll be pretty annoyed if it's full game price x-x

By the way, anyone know how much NSLU is gonna be digitally? Since it's DLC, I'll be pretty annoyed if it's full game price x-x

$20. The retail one is $30 considering it's gonna be a limited release.

Nyko Power Pak that extends Wii U battery life by up to 3x the normal rate has apparently been released. This is different than the U Boost since this requires no attachment. It fits in perfectly inside the Wii U Gamepad battery holder.