Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

If it's possible we may get a console exclusive classic rare-esque collectathon type of colorful platforming game, then I am hyped for this.

Edited by Soniman

Holy crap. Conker spiritual sequel. Gib pls.

Might be a bit of a conclusion to jump to :P

Still, didn't some ex-Rare staff, MingyJongo or somethin, say they wanted to make a spiritual successor to Banjo last year?

I know it'as unlikely, but Retro should do a Metroidvania/Fable-style game set in the Warhammer Fantasy world.

"Said enough"..? Is he trying to cover something up? I don't wanna jump to conclusions either, but I guess he just wants to keep it a surprise.

Quality editing.  But then again, this video wouldn't be nearly as funny if it wasn't Iwata:

Man, Nintendo's getting a Conker successor and a Banjo successor?  They should just make a new company called eraR and work for Nintendo. :D

Man, Nintendo's getting a Conker successor and a Banjo successor?

I feel like I'm missing something here... when were these announced?

f0ecc0bada5c1f97e19fa14cb1b117a3.png

Spot the odd one.

This thread should be renamed "Why does EA and DICE hate the Wii U?"...because we've been talking about why the Frostbite engines aren't coming onto the system for about a month now continuously.

Edited by KrazyBean

That picture being passed around has nothing to do with actually being on the system. Most of the engines shown haven't even been on the system. The image is about supported engines.

37lcZYh.jpg

"y can metroid crawl" returns and he has found Samus!!!!

• Thumbs Up 6

But Wii U doesn't support Unreal 4.

"If someone wants to take Unreal Engine 4 and ship a game on Wii U, they can! While that game might not look as pretty as it would on a "true" next-gen console, the new engine is scalable to a variety of platforms."

Source: Taken directly from the source included in the image.

Edited by Autosaver

"If someone wants to take Unreal Engine 4 and ship a game on Wii U, they can! While that game might not look as pretty as it would on a "true" next-gen console, the new engine is scalable to a variety of platforms."

Source: Taken directly from the source included in the image.

In other news, they aren't supporting it and no one's gotten UE4 running on it.

In other news, they aren't supporting it and no one's gotten UE4 running on it.

I'm sure it will be used...it's basically the same situation as Frostbite 2 really. It looks AMAZING on PC but not so much on the PS3/360.

Edited by KrazyBean

Aren't most modern engines scalable these days anyway? I'm not an expert on this type of thing by any means, but that's something I've gathered from what I've seen people with more knowledge say. It's more about the will than the way. I'm getting the impression that it'll be nowhere near what we had for the Wii with needing completely different engine's, but rather the same engine with the sliders turned down some to match the hardware.

Edited by EuroMIX

Aren't most modern engines scalable these days anyway? I'm not an expert on this type of thing by any means, but that's something I've gathered from what I've seen people with more knowledge say. It's more about the will than the way. I'm getting the impression that it'll be nowhere near what we had for the Wii with needing completely different engine's, but rather the same engine with the sliders turned down some to match the hardware.

Not quite that simple. Engines still have to get hardware specific tuning for consoles, and instructions must be converted to deal with the tool environment the system recognizes (ie: Xboxes have a DirectX variation, Playstations use a library similar to OpenGL, etc).

Also, the WiiU hardware is at odds with PC/PS4/Xbone development not just in power but in design too. I think they're using PowerPC architecture whereas the others switched to x86.

So, it's doable but it takes a bunch more work than sliding settings to Low.

That depends on what the engine actually relies on. Frostbite is the only one in that list that relies on CPU. Unreal Engine 4 COULD work on Wii U due to being a strict GPU based engine, but there wouldn't be much point because the GPU probably couldn't do many of the new fancy pants effects.

All engines have to use both CPU and GPU (and RAM, and I/O bridges, and... you get the idea). For the console as a whole to be able to process the data and therefore be able to display when the game is telling it to display, it must be done in a way it understands. Else you end up with something that, if it even ran, it'd do so at no more than 2fps and hardlocking the system after two minutes.

What you're talking is just which pool they draw more resources from.

What I'm saying is that Unreal is GPU intensive, so it could in theory work off the CPU because it does most of its most demanding processes through the GPU, and whatever else the Wii U CPU is up to it enough (it's not great, no, but it's not a Pentium 3 or anything). Though it probably would have to be retooled to use the extra graphics processing and general processing power locked away in the GPGPU. Easier with some engines, not so much with ones like Frostbite because they're developed entirely on running off a CPU for most things.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph