Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I see two options here:

1) Nintendo never intended to put GC games on the Wii U at all.

2) They might do but will have to produce another classic controller with analogue triggers, which would be awkward and much less likely in my opinion.

I think that the announcement of Wind Waker HD means that they may just consider giving some GC games the HD treatment instead.

They're not going to make a new controller for the sole purpose of adding analog triggers. If they're gonna do Gamecube games at all, they're much more likely to update the games to not need the triggers.

Come to think of it, between all the New Play Control games they've already done for the Wii and the general possibility of remakes in the future, it's pretty much handled already.

• Thumbs Up 4

I see two options here:

1) Nintendo never intended to put GC games on the Wii U at all.

2) They might do but will have to produce another classic controller with analogue triggers, which would be awkward and much less likely in my opinion.

I think that the announcement of Wind Waker HD means that they may just consider giving some GC games the HD treatment instead.

Wireless GameCube controller for Wii-U VC? That would be awesome partially because I could use it for Smash Bros. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm honestly surprised Nintendo hasn't capitalized on how amazingly well the GC controller is designed; it's widely considered one of the greatest controllers of all time...do they not know it?

I'm honestly surprised Nintendo hasn't capitalized on how amazingly well the GC controller is designed; it's widely considered one of the greatest controllers of all time...do they not know it?

Eeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Feels good to hold? Ergonomically sound for any player? Well placed buttons? Yes.

D-Pad? C-Stick? Lack of clickable stick? Separate inputs for analog triggers? No second bumper? Not in the least. The Gamecube controller was practically designed only to resonate with games developed strictly for it so unless you're playing a Nintendo game or any of the Capcom Five, that controller is massively flawed.

• Thumbs Up 2

So many Wii U games and I still have several I haven't beaten yet. :(

Can't wait till Summer.

So.... this really isn't something horrendously relevant but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW_yVHixevo

I know this is a kid (he's actually 14, nightmarishly near my irl age) but my goodness, this is ridiculous even for a kid. The sheer ignorance towards other people, the autistic freakout, the fact he make me want to burn my wii u. Dear god!

I agree, although the analouge sticks on the controller always broke. I do hope at least a thrid party does take a jab of making a wii u controller pro in the shape of a gamecube controller.

So.... this really isn't something horrendously relevant but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW_yVHixevo

I know this is a kid (he's actually 14, nightmarishly near my irl age) but my goodness, this is ridiculous even for a kid. The sheer ignorance towards other people, the autistic freakout, the fact he make me want to burn my wii u. Dear god!

I agree, although the analouge sticks on the controller always broke. I do hope at least a thrid party does take a jab of making a wii u controller pro in the shape of a gamecube controller.

14? He sounds like he's 8, puberty must have skipped him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shin'En - GPU Several Generations ahead

“The Wii U GPU is several generations ahead of the current gen. It allows many things that were not possible on consoles before. If you develop for Wii U you have to take advantage of these possibilities, otherwise your performance is of course limited. Also your engine layout needs to be different. You need to take advantage of the large shared memory of the Wii U, the huge and very fast EDRAM section and the big CPU caches in the cores. Especially the workings of the CPU caches are very important to master. Otherwise you can lose a magnitude of power for cache relevant parts of your code. In the end the Wii U specs fit perfectly together and make a very efficient console when used right.”

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=203679

• Thumbs Up 1

Shin'en statements are practically litmus tests for figuring out the technically inclined these days. Every time they make a statement a ton of people rush out to instantly debunk the statement on the basis that the company itself has only done games for Nintendo. There's nothing factually wrong with their statements about the console; Wii U's architecture is vastly different to produce for, and yes, the GPU is generations ahead of the current gen. Developers not choosing to develop for it is almost exclusively money factoring.

Of course, since this statement is speaking in terms of GPU generations and not console generations, a lot of people will twist that into fitting their own narrative; both people claiming this is the massive leap we've been waiting for and the ones who will claim Wii U is worse than what it really is. They provide some interesting statements used for completely different lines of discussion and that's sort of sad since these are interesting things to talk about.

Shin'en are some of the most talented developers out there. They managed to squeeze games like FAST and Nano Assault Neo in under 40 megs and are pretty much tech wizards. They're easily one of the most underestimated talents in the entire industry, and more people ought to take notes from them.

• Thumbs Up 9

Shin'En - GPU Several Generations ahead

“The Wii U GPU is several generations ahead of the current gen. It allows many things that were not possible on consoles before. If you develop for Wii U you have to take advantage of these possibilities, otherwise your performance is of course limited. Also your engine layout needs to be different. You need to take advantage of the large shared memory of the Wii U, the huge and very fast EDRAM section and the big CPU caches in the cores. Especially the workings of the CPU caches are very important to master. Otherwise you can lose a magnitude of power for cache relevant parts of your code. In the end the Wii U specs fit perfectly together and make a very efficient console when used right.”

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=203679

So say the people who have never developed off anything for PS3 or 360, anyway. Nobody on GAF is taking this seriously at all.

Not even the PS4 or Xbone can be said to be ahead of modern gaming PCs.

That's what EA said about them, though. Hence the joke.

So say the people who have never developed off anything for PS3 or 360, anyway. Nobody on GAF is taking this seriously at all.

You need to read that GAF thread better and see the post above you. A ton of people are taking them seriously.

Don't twist the narrative. He's not saying what you think he is.

• Thumbs Up 2

So... I read and think that I understood all that, but I still would like a summary of the implications of all dat, if that's not too much to ask?

Well, down to the most basic. The GPUs in the Xbox 360 and PS3 were Direct x9 based, while the one in Wii U is custom spun off a GPU that was DirectX 10.1 based. That's generations ahead. There's nothing controversial about the statement, though people will always be there to twist the words.

Pretty much. Shin'en are practically tech wizards, after seeing what they've done with their previous titles, they should be a studio that anyone should take seriously in terms of technical details, and anyone dismissing them outright just because they haven't developed for the 360/PS3 should be slapped.

Pretty much. Shin'en are practically tech wizards, after seeing what they've done with their previous titles, they should be a studio that anyone should take seriously in terms of technical details, and anyone dismissing them outright just because they haven't developed for the 360/PS3 should be slapped.

I wonder how many generations ahead the PS4 GPU is from the Wii U. :V

Anyway, this video is perfect

Edited by TimmiT

Honestly, probably at least a few. If the idea of them being similar to Nvidia 600 series cards. It really isn't that hard or expensive to have better tech than the past generation. Nintendo does have to watch costs, but Sony and Microsoft can splurge on the bits that actually are expensive.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

The thing about Sony and Microsoft is that they're not just a gaming company. They can take bigger risks. Out of the 9 Billion they lost from electronics, 5 Billion came from the Playstation 3. They're not going to die just because of that.

Same with Microsoft.

Yes, exactly. Nintendo does have to be more careful now, considering the competition they're up against can ALWAYS out buy them, It's incredibly different from the Nintendo vs. SEGA days, when both companies had around the same funding with the same type of mindset.

That doesn't explain why they took the risk of creating a platform which cannot compete with its peers in terms of basic pushing power. Seems like a huge misstep, really, considering how most of the Wii's audience is probably not going to buy into the U.

How does not having the R&D funds to buy into the latest tech not reason enough for them to do it? I'm sorry? The thing is, any huge risk, whether that be some beefed up box or a huge marketing blitz, can sink them. They work on games too. I honestly don't see how either would help them get anyone they weren't going to get anyway. People who only care about DEM GREEPHICS never cared about Nintendo. It's still the company that's seen as too "kiddy".

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1