Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

It's common knowledge that Nintendo system do not contain any universal achievement systems. In fact, when asked about implementing an achievement system, they said gamers should just play for fun and feel rewarded naturally.

If you have an OCD that you feel forced to collect all the trophies and feel exhausted/stressed out from it, I'm sure playing a system that doesn't incorporate these systems would help.

In other news, Advance Wars sequel teased?

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/01/intelligent-systems-talk-advance-wars-and-fire-emblem-differences/

As for whether Intelligent Systems have any Advance Wars games in development, Maeda says: “Whether or not we have plans to bring out a new entry in the Advance Wars series is a secret.”

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

My main issue is such systems being forced on all games system-wide and it being considered something expected of Nintendo to include and an oversight not to. I find that thinking to be ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't follow your logic...

Me neither. It's not like the game is forcing him to get achievements.

Me neither. It's not like the game is forcing him to get achievements.

You probably haven't met anyone with a genuine or severe case of OCD before then.

For someone with a real case of OCD, it probably wouldn't be as easy to get over as this guy implied in writing that it was either.

• Thumbs Up 4

My main issue is such systems being forced on all games system-wide and it being considered something expected of Nintendo to include and an oversight not to. I find that thinking to be ridiculous.

It's something Nintendo's competitors offer and it's completely optional. Those who don't care about it might not agree, but I have fun trophy-hunting for some extra replayability and it's yet another advantage other alternatives have over Nintendo for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think anyone was implying that trophies and achievements were an inherently bad thing, but saying a game is lacking without them is unfair, and the fact that some games seem to have no feel of reward besides them (i.e. abolishment of unlockable content with achievements/trophies in place) means they're not always fantastic either. There are perks to something not having that obligational system, just as there are perks to it.

And as I mentioned, for those with OCD it could potentially thoroughly effect the enjoyment of a game.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 4

You probably haven't met anyone with a genuine or severe case of OCD before then.

For someone with a real case of OCD, it probably wouldn't be as easy to get over as this guy implied in writing that it was either.

By this logic, let's get's get rid of unlockables too since they probably won't be able to help themselves from collecting every unlockables in games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thankfully, defeating 10,000 monsters without dying in X game isn't comparable to finding the 10 hidden shards in Zone 3.

Citing the lack of trophies and achievements as some sort of advantage that Nintendo has over the competition is nonsense. OCD is OCD. It's unfortunate but it's not really a primary concern for the companies that implement such a system. It's just kind of there for people who like that sort of thing. *shrugs*

Well, except unlockables generally don't have as ridiculous requirements.

Neither do the vast majority of trophies and achievements.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

That and the fact that the unlockable IS a reward in its own right, achievements often don't give you anything

By this logic, let's get's get rid of unlockables too since they probably won't be able to help themselves from collecting every unlockables in games.

Like I said, I never meant to imply that trophies were a bad thing or that they should be gotten rid of, so don't read my post as saying that.

You said "it's not like the game is forcing him" and I said "you probably haven't met people with real OCD", that's all. The same can be said for games with huge amounts of sidequests or unlockables which people with OCD arguably should not play, I was merely pointing out that your comment was unfair in the context of a condition he claimed to have.

The problem with achievements and trophies is that unlike games with tons of unlockables and such, they are mandatory in every 360 and PS3 game. Even if you have OCD, you can't pick and choose (for example people with OCD used to simply avoid games like Oblivion and instead go for more simple games) when it comes to gaming because you will always be faced with that issue if you want to play on those systems.

I just wanted to clear up what I meant.

I think achievements are a good way to stalk follow other players' progress. I like looking through friends' achievements and comparing them to my own.

I like how some Nintendo games have them internally (any game by Sakurai comes to mind, as well as Kirby Mass Attack, which had some pretty impossible achievements), but it bothers me that you can't view others' achievements unless you were playing their copies.

• Thumbs Up 8

Nintendo Wii U Deluxe @ Frys with FREE Lego City Undercover (Great Exclusive!)

http://www.frys.com/product/7705428

Aw man, that would be awesome, too bad its almost over, and I am not that close to a frys... wait, can you do it instore?

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

I think achievements are a good way to stalk follow other players' progress. I like looking through friends' achievements and comparing them to my own.

My boyfriend and I play a lot of the same games so if something new comes out and we both have access to it we usually have a fun little back and forth commenting on each others' progress towards getting 100%.

He's actually ahead of me in Sly 4 now and the first Ratchet and Clank game. I should probably fix that.

Aw man, that would be awesome, too bad its almost over, and I am not that close to a frys... wait, can you do it instore?

No instore.. but why not ship it?

No instore.. but why not ship it?

actualy, they do have it instore, but you have to check it by the locations adds. Also its my choice, just prefer picking things up in person and I have to check but there is at least one only a couple hours away

In other news, Advance Wars sequel teased?

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/01/intelligent-systems-talk-advance-wars-and-fire-emblem-differences/

As for whether Intelligent Systems have any Advance Wars games in development, Maeda says: “Whether or not we have plans to bring out a new entry in the Advance Wars series is a secret.”

I really, really hope this is happening. I was seriously worried that the series was dead after Days of Ruin.

...if there actually is going to be another Wars game, I wonder which system it'll be on (3DS would still be cool, but I've wanted a home-console turn-based Wars game forever), and whether they'll do another reboot or go back to the Wars World cast. And most importantly, whether it'll have voice acting with loads of terrible fake accents. I'll cry if Olaf doesn't sound like Tim Curry in Red Alert 3.

There were the Battalion Wars games, kinda. Those weren't bad, but they also weren't much like Wars games.

(they did have terrible fake accents though)

I have severe OCD and my PSN, Steam, and Xbox profile is littered with incomplete games. >.>

I've actually never met someone else with OCD who had the "Collect them all" mentality; it's  usually just what people say when they feel the urge to earn all achievements in as many games as possible, which really generalizes the disorder as a whole.

I like achievements because sometimes they cause me to play a game multiple ways ( which I might not have done otherwise). Other times they can be shoehorned in and are annoying as all hell.

I'm a bit torn on the achievements thing. On the one hand, I actually appreciate not having this extra and meaningless challenge hanging over my head every game. It's bugs the hell out of me on my 360. I'm encouraged to complete boring tasks with no reward but bragging rights lest my game isn't complete. So I like not having them on the U. On the flip side, Nintendo's missing a trick compared to all other platforms.

I have severe OCD and my PSN, Steam, and Xbox profile is littered with incomplete games. >.>

I didn't mean to generalise, sorry, I just know that there are people with variations of OCD who genuinely have this issue with games.