Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I just hate how pointlessly some games reward players just for playing through the game normally or for ridiculously easy stuff. If Achievements meant more then I wouldn't mind as much, which is why I think that it should be left up to the developer to decide what would work best for them.

All I think Nintendo should do it create proper accounts and allow for some basic info on each game to be collected and shared, but make that fully customisable and optional for the player. I think they should encourage the Community and Miiverse integration more allowing people to share thoughts and challenges in a more friendly way rather than through bland in-game pop-ups.

My primary (and only) problem with achievements, is, like SuperLink said, that developers often just go "welp, achievements are good enough, right?" and we get no unlockables, no rewards, no nothing besides just some worthless dickhat points.  The only time achievements have ever made me feel like there was more to the game than meets the eye was in the first BioShock, and that was practically because I was just finding more excuses to play the game, which is amazing.

I much prefer my "rewards" to be stuff that I can actually use in-game, not e-peen.

Edited by Ham-Sellin' Wario
  • Thumbs Up 9

Ok one final question, then I think I will go for the wii-U. Lego City undercover is good right? (I mean from what I understand its good, and I have played the other Lego games even the old 64 ones but just want to hear it for sure from some of my other friendly gamers)

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

Isn't the Wii U's network designed in such a way that individual developers can have their own "achievement" system if they choose? I remember hearing about something like that around the initial hype and launch of the console. I could be wrong. I do know that Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed had something like this, where the achievements were in the game itself, not just for Xbox Live or PSN.

EDIT - Let me be more specific: achievements that are viewable to other people via online, not just for those who are using the same console. 

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok one final question, then I think I will go for the wii-U. Lego City undercover is good right? (I mean from what I understand its good, and I have played the other Lego games even the old 64 ones but just want to hear it for sure from some of my other friendly gamers)

I would say it plays like an old cop drama, but with a lot of cheesy child-friendly humour. It's a Lego game, so there's obviously a ton to do and a lot of things to explore and collect.

Edited by EuroMIX

Lego City is great; like EuroMX said, it's kind of like a goofy cop drama, with all the cliches and stuff.  But there's also this "futuristic detective" spin on it where you get all these funky gadgets to use and shit.

It's not the best game there is by any standard, but it's worth a rent at the very least.

ALSO, they love to make old movie jokes; there's an entire stage where an expy of Arnold Schwarzenegger makes puns of every movie Arnold has been in.  I was in stitches the whole time.

Sounds great, so definately worth getting free for part of that deal, should be fun, think I am going for it. still gotta earn some additional money, then I will have to get the kirby dream collection, this should be a fun summer.

And the Arnie jokes sound awesome

I think th best thing about achievements it that it gives games more replayability, so if there's one achievement I really want to get I just keep on playing till I finally get it. Otherwise, it's just to show off to people that you've 100% a game. That's it, no rewards.

It's good that some Nintendo games have this like Kirby and Kid Icarus (both by Sakurai!), but I think more should do it now since even iOs games have achievements!

I can't wait to see the Wii U's power. If this E3 Game Demo from prelaunch can pull off these impressive graphics!

@Mando - Btw, the Wii U Deluxe also comes with NintendoLand for free.

Edited by Autosaver

I can't wait to see the Wii U's power. If this E3 Game Demo from prelaunch can pull off these impressive graphics!

@Mando - Btw, the Wii U Deluxe also comes with NintendoLand for free.

Thats why I am willing to do the full price especialy with the free lego city, were I to get those seperately, even with the target deal, it would cost only slightly less, only without the memory.

Also imagine if they did that level of graphics on a Metroid or Starfox game!(and imagine what the graphics could do with more development, and the 3rd party companies are complaining about power, what a joke)

I think th best thing about achievements it that it gives games more replayability, so if there's one achievement I really want to get I just keep on playing till I finally get it. Otherwise, it's just to show off to people that you've 100% a game. That's it, no rewards.

It's good that some Nintendo games have this like Kirby and Kid Icarus (both by Sakurai!), but I think more should do it now since even iOs games have achievements!

I'm personally indifferent towards achievements. The "no rewards" thing is what kinda brings it down, and I never really play games to show off my "l33t skillz,"  nor do I care about other people's skills at video games.  Achievements kind of remind me of hi-scores from classic video games, and I never really have the desire to show that off either.  

But on the other hand, I can see how one could feel satisfaction from getting an achievement, especially when you do it unexpectedly. I personally never bothered replayed a game to find achievements, but it always is a pleasant surprise when you do one completely by chance. 

If Nintendo decides to do this with their games, (Aside from those mentioned) I won't be too fussed or excited. They're just going to be there, maybe giving me a smile when I manage to get one out of sheer luck.

Well, just ordered mine, and got a screen protector pack with it that included a backup stylus(always worth getting with a touch screen, not a biggest fan of the tech, but hey its part of the setup :P ) So my classic hunt is on delay, but way I figure it is that if I am willing to wait the next couple weeks to get the money to track them down, then more power to me, and it will make me appreciate it more

Also I dont mind that I didnt get the best deal, I got the deal I wanted and the version I wanted, and 2 games that ought to keep me busy for a while(though I do plan to track down Kirby's Dream collection in a week or two). Its the first game system I have gotten new out of the box in more than 4 years, and the first console I have gotten new during the beginning of its life(my last one was the N64, and that was toward the end, dont really count my DS lite)

I have always enjoyed Nintendo systems, and have never played a first party game I didnt like, so I am feeling pretty good right now, and its not like I am a guy who gets games right away, or tries to rush through them, I just play them to have a fun time , and thats what nintendos about

I got the official licensed screen protector. SUPER easy to install.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Precision-Screen-Filter-Nintendo/dp/B009NRO1J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370234010&sr=8-1&keywords=Hori+Wii+U

Also, several Kirby games are available on the Wii U virtual console. You can play Kirby Superstar on the Gamepad that way.

I got the official licensed screen protector. SUPER easy to install.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Precision-Screen-Filter-Nintendo/dp/B009NRO1J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370234010&sr=8-1&keywords=Hori+Wii+U

Also, several Kirby games are available on the Wii U virtual console. You can play Kirby Superstar on the Gamepad that way.

Eh I would much rather prefer to pick up the collection, as I like to have a tangible copy, and I am a kirby fan.

Also I did the math, It would have cost the same to get the Basic version from Target, and the 2 games, so I wouldnt have been saving any money, just getting a smaller harddrive(and saving 20 bucks on shipping, which it proably would have cost me more in gas to get there, its an hour away)

Also I did the math, It would have cost the same to get the Basic version from Target, and the 2 games, so I wouldnt have been saving any money, just getting a smaller harddrive(and saving 20 bucks on shipping, which it proably would have cost me more in gas to get there, its an hour away)

Basic is $239.99

NintendoLand (Amazon) $20

Lego City (Amazon) $40

$300

Extra 50 left over for Lost World Preorder

BUT!!! Deluxe does contain the extra memory, digital deluxe program (money back on downloads), Wii U Console Stand, and Gamepad Charger Stand. Totally worth the extra cost, especially if you're going to download games.

If you want, you might want to pick up a Wii U Pro Controller to go alongside your Wii U. Maybe a Wii Remote & Nunchuk too. Pro Controller is not necessary but it does have a long battery life and it'll allow traditional controller play/multiplayer. Wii Remote & Nunchuk is required to play Wii games and is also required for certain NintendoLand attractions.

Wii U Pro Controller - $35 (Amazon)

Wii Remote + Nunchuk - $50 (Amazon)

I know.. extra money :(

Edited by Autosaver

There are already some really nice download titles on there already, and New Super Luigi U is coming soon,.

Basic is $239.99

NintendoLand (Amazon) $20

Lego City (Amazon) $40

$300

Extra 50 left over for Lost World Preorder

BUT!!! Deluxe does contain the extra memory, digital deluxe program (money back on downloads), Wii U Console Stand, and Gamepad Charger Stand. Totally worth the extra cost, especially if you're going to download games.

If you want, you might want to pick up a Wii U Pro Controller to go alongside your Wii U. Maybe a Wii Remote & Nunchuk too. Pro Controller is not necessary but it does have a long battery life and it'll allow traditional controller play/multiplayer. Wii Remote & Nunchuk is required to play Wii games and is also required for certain NintendoLand attractions.

Wii U Pro Controller - $35 (Amazon)

Wii Remote + Nunchuk - $50 (Amazon)

I know.. extra money sad.png

Well, I may be able to borrow the Wii-mote from my cousin(specialy while he is in Sweden), but I dont mind investing in the pro remote, My sisters always love to play games on my nintendo systems with me

Wii Remote+ seems to be the thing the Wii U likes to use. Actually, are all Wii Remotes sold + versions, now? I haven't bought one for years, the last I got was the Golden+ pack-in, before that was a Blue+ I got for Christmas.

Heh just remembered, even though I have the PC version, I may have to pick up the WIi-U version later on

Yes, all the Wii Remotes are Plus versions now. They also have a modified case now to make the sync button visible.

Autosaver's Wii U Guide

Key: Must Own - Mid tier - Worth a rent

Downloadable
Nano Assault Neo - $9.99
Trine 2 - $14.99
Tank! Tank! Tank! - FREE
Zen Pinball 2 - Free trial packs, $2.99 per pinball course. One will make you set for good. (Grab this when the tables go on sale)
Bit Trip Runner 2 - $14.99
Toki Tori 2 - $14.99 (Grab it when it goes on sale)
Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition - $9.99
Little Inferno - $9.99 (Grab it when it goes on sale)

Rayman Legends App - FREE!

Retail
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed - $29.9
Lego City Undercover - You own it
Zombi U - $59.99 but this game goes on sale ALL the time. In fact, it's $29.99 on Amazon.
New Super Mario Bros U - $35.99 on Amazon, Luigi DLC coming this summer for a discount if you own the original game.
Scribblenauts Unlimited - $33.99 on Amazon
Darksiders II - $35.99 on Amazon
Warriors Orochi 3 - $35.99 on Amazon
Assassin's Creed 3 - $29.99
Call of Duty Black Ops 2 - $29.99
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - $19.99 Amazon
Injustice Wii U - $29.99 Amazon
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate* - $49.99
Batman Arkham City - $19.99
Mass Effect 3 - $29.99
Ninja Gaiden 3 - $29.99
NintendoLand - You already own - $19.99 Amazon

Future

Pikmin 3 - $59.99

Game & Wario - $39.99

Wonderful 101 - $59.99

Rayman Legends - $59.99

Sonic Lost World - $59.99

Mario U - $59.99

Mario Kart U - $59.99

Zelda HD - $39.99

Scribblenauts Unmasked - $49.99

Bayonetta 2

Deus Ex: Human Revolution DX
Super Smash Bros U - $59.99

Wii Titles to pick up

Sin & Punishment - $4.99 Amazon

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - $49.99 - Cheaper alternative is first game for $19.99

Metroid Other M - $4.99 (Most people complain about the story, but gameplay I hear is pretty decent)

Rhythm Heaven Fever - $4.99 Amazon

Sonic Colors (Cheap)

Zelda: Skyward Sword (Cheap)

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Wii Sports Resort

Kirby's Return to Dreamland

More Wii games obviously, but some are hard to find now a days.

Accessories to get

Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuk - $49.99 Often discount on these from time to time. Controller is essential for Wii games, required for certain Wii U minigames in certain games (NintendoLand, Game & Wario, etc), possible other play usage. Get some rechargeable AA batteries if you will use this a lot.

Wii U Pro Controller - $34.99-$49.99 - Often discounted, beware of counterfeits. Great for extended play sessions, good for other players, great for some games that have asymmetrical multiplayer with one player playing on gamepad and other on Wii U Pro Controller, mods available online to use on PC.

Hori Screen Protector - $9.99 - Essential to protect your Wii U gamepad for the long run and prevent scratches that may ruin gamepad usage. Don't pay a huge repair fee, get a protector instead.

Nyko Power Pak Pro - $24.99 - Extends gamepad battery from 3-5 hours to 9-12 hours. That's about 3x! A bit pricey and apparently the battery technology used means it will wear down faster than other batteries, which is why I recommend..

Nintendo Battery+ - Unknown Price - Extends battery up to 2x. Uses more efficent battery technology to allow durable charge with little wear down. Plus side is that it's an official Nintendo product. I'd go with this instead of the Nyko.

*Only if you have a lot of time to invest in this game, if not, pass.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 6

*Wii U Guide*

Wow, this is awesome and really helpful. I notice you listed ZombiU as a must own. I was looking into that game, and from I gather that it's a bit repetitive and not much lasting value. Do you own the game and if so, what's your opinion on it?

Edited by Frogging101

I think I'm going to split this conversation into another existing Kirby topic, since this is getting off topic.

Is there any reason to go for the Deluxe (32GB) instead of the Basic (8GB) Wii U? I have a big external hard drive I can use with it and I don't care much for Nintendo Land (not planning on getting a bunch of controllers or people to play it with). So considering that, is there any point in shelling out the extra $50-60 for the Deluxe?

(also I hear that the black gamepad constantly looks dirty because hands)

Edited by Frogging101

There's also the Deluxe Digital Promotion, where you get rewards for buying things through the eShop. And really, Nintendo Land is great.