Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Nobody noticed it when I posted it yesterday?

(then again there was the wii u is doomed)

It's basically the Club Nintendo poster in box art form. So it isnt farfetched we'd get it.

Also, saw Turbo today. There were a few Nintendo game ads before the screening, thought it was funny they'd be advertising here of all places.

So that's why the price is set so high. They have to pay off the cover art!

Interviewer: "So why is The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker HD cover art recycled from the GameCube logo? You didn't even replace the GameCube logo with the Wii U logo!"

Nintendo representative: "We could not afford the new cover art. The costs for even adding the small "HD" label to the Wind Waker logo would had been astronomical, we're talking millions of dollars here"

j5rq.png

^ Picture of Nintendo representative

You posted a really faded one... Maybe that's the American cover?

You posted a really faded one... Maybe that's the American cover?

It has Japanese text so I going to assume that's not the case.

Your link was broken for me yesterday. 403'd. Was wondering what it was.

Does Wind Waker HD have a remastered soundtrack? WW's MIDI is pretty dated.

• Thumbs Up 1

It probably won't. I'm okay with its soundtrack as is, but a remastered score would definitely have been a bullet point for the higher price.

• Thumbs Up 1

It probably won't. I'm okay with its soundtrack as is, but a remastered score would definitely have been a bullet point for the higher price.

Damn. That's too bad. I've never been too fond of the Zelda soundfonts, even though I like the actual composition of the music. Back when I played Wind Waker for the first time and downloaded the soundtrack I always thought about how great a remastered album would be.

Something like Kingdom Hearts would have been nice -

Oh well, I guess. Music's still good.

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 2

Haha Discoid you haven't lived until you've heard the cobcert orchestra live of Zelda, especially Wind Waker.

I kind of like Year of Luigi so far, considering it's 2/3rds of the way over with. I mean, judging by the DLC alone maybe not, but add in Dream Team, Mansion, and all the promotional stuff they're doing (seriously go to any Nintendo event and see how much Luigi swag you get), I'd say it's cool for a secondary character.

Damn. That's too bad. I've never been too fond of the Zelda soundfonts, even though I like the actual composition of the music. Back when I played Wind Waker for the first time and downloaded the soundtrack I always thought about how great a remastered album would be.

Something like Kingdom Hearts would have been nice -

Oh well, I guess. Music's still good.

Wow, Square really went all out with this remaster; rebuilding the original, polishing up Re:Com, and even giving us all the story from the first DS spin off.  

Nintendo does push effort with there remakes sometimes (like Mario 64 DS or Kirby Super Star Ultra for example) but as we debated over the past few pages, WW HD is not a good value when compared to the other remasters/remakes out there. Sure, its still the great game it was on the GameCube and the Gamepad features will add something to the game, but that lack of a remastered soundtrack or restoring some of the cut content that wasn't in the original doesn't really make this a good value at the 60$ price point. 

Haha Discoid you haven't lived until you've heard the cobcert orchestra live of Zelda, especially Wind Waker.

I kind of like Year of Luigi so far, considering it's 2/3rds of the way over with. I mean, judging by the DLC alone maybe not, but add in Dream Team, Mansion, and all the promotional stuff they're doing (seriously go to any Nintendo event and see how much Luigi swag you get), I'd say it's cool for a secondary character.

Ah, that anniversary album with the super cool songs? That was fucking awesome, haha. 

Download I had was really low quality, maybe it's time I redownloaded. That Gerudo Valley remix was divine.

Didn't they have the orchestra play at E3 when they announced Skyward Sword? That was amazing.

Yes.

Skyward Sword also came with a CD with orchestrated music.

Yeah it was basically the same performance but with some added songs. They took it on tour across the states. The performance covered many games and the conductor even used a replica wand from Wind Waker. It was just heaven for Zelda fans.

I went to the concert when it was in London. It was AMAZING. <3 They did songs which aren't even on the CD and Eiji Aonuma, Koji Kondo, even Zelda Williams were all there!

Maybe we'll get some orchestrated music in the end credits like OoT3D, the one showing the remake team.

Nintendo customer support took minutes for me to get to their admin department to get my free copy of Pikmin 3.

Will have it next week. :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Nintendo customer support took minutes for me to get to their admin department to get my free copy of Pikmin 3.

Will have it next week. biggrin.png

Can you get me one too while you're at it?

I'm the biggest Nintendo fanboy, that's why.

Wii U got repaired a while ago, went bad and to make up for the problems they offered a free Wii U game.

*Insert Banjo "GUH-HUH!?" noise*
Copy-Pasta

On Friday the prominent semiconductor manufacturer Renesas Electronics posted its quarterly financial report, together with notice of extraordinary loss and a press release about an impending restructuring of the company.

As part of that restructuring Renesas, that merged with NEC Electronics in 2012, announced that it decided to close four semiconductor plants in Japan within 2-3 years, including the state-of-the-art factory based in Tsuruoka, Yamagata Prefecture  (as reported by the Wall Street Journal), and this may spell trouble for Nintendo and the Wii U.

The reason is quite simple. The closing factory was responsible for manufacturing the console’s Embedded DRAM, that is quite properly defined the “life stone” of the console.

The production of the 1 cm-wide semiconductor for Nintendo was responsible for more than half of the load of the factory at peak times, but the slow sales of the console determined a reduction in demand and a gap in the usage of the machinery and personnel, forcing the plant to run at a loss.

Nintendo told the Japanese Magazine Weekly Diamond that “the closure of the plant won’t have immediate effects on the production of the Wii U”, but the outlook of things isn’t too positive for the future.

Nintendo could try to contract another company to produce the component, but there are circumstances that make it difficult. According to a Renesas executive the production of that semiconductor was the result of the “secret sauce” and state-of-the-art know-how part of the NEC heritage of the Tsuruoka plant, making production elsewhere difficult. In order to restart mass production in a different factory redesigning the component may be necessary.

In light of the situation an increase in the production costs of the console seems very likely on the medium and long term due to the shift of production to a different location and to the possibility of a redesign of the hardware.

They've already produced way too many Wii-U's for this to be an immediate problem.

Even though Wii-U's very cheap for an 8th Gen console, especially when compared to PS4 and Xbox One, this still means there won't be any price drops for a loooooooong time.

In other news I'm incredibly stupid for just now learning about how to screenshot pics on your Wii-U for Miiverse. Seriously, that had me stumped for like the longest time.

According to Neogaf, that's actually old news and it's already being moved to another producer. No doom or "OH NOS!" will happen.