Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Honestly Wolfy, I'd wait until the fall. The situation isn't going to be fixed until some of these games are out (best case scenario), and until then retailers are just going to offer better and better deals. Wait until it becomes cheap enough to get.

Wait, the Wii U still doesn't have a CAT5 port? Are you serious?

What the hell is that? O.o

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if I should even bother right now?

It honestly depends.

Do you like Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Lego City, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, NintendoLand, New Super Mario Bros U + Luigi U, Mario 3D World Wind Waker HD, Sonic Lost World, Mario & Sonic? All these titles are out or are coming out by the end of the year so you'll have a steady stream of games to play. Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta, Fire Emblem, Epic Yoshi, X, and Smash Bros should be out next year too.

The only reason I'd get it now is that they're offering a $50 gift card for it, but I'm sure you could pick it up with a similar offer during Fall on Black Friday. I agree that Fall is the best choice if you're worried about it

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, I've been planning on getting a Wii U early this fall since there's a few games I've been eagerly waiting for, but the bad news lately plus the feel I get that it might turn out to be another "Wii" situation I have (where I buy like 1-2 games a year for it) will ultimately end up another waste for me. The PS4 is right around the corner as well and I really want that too, but getting both might be a long shot (though that's further into the year so idk).

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if I should even bother right now? I was thinking I could pick one up this September so I'd have it in time for Sonic Lost World, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker, and the eventual Smash Bros later the following year or whatever. IDK, do any owners of the system right now feel like it'd be a good time to jump in, or anyone that's still on the fence in the same boat as I am?

I would honestly have to ask what games are your excited about? If you are really into a lot of 3rd party games that were announced at e3 like KH III, Mad Max, Destiny, The Division, and the like, then I would say get a PS4 or X1; you will not only get to play those games but good to great first party games as well (Killzone, Knack, DriveClub, Infamous, and The Order from Sony and Killer Instent, Fosa, Dead Rising and Ryse for Microsoft). 

No doubt the Wii U would look great right now; it has some great exclusives on the horizon with Sonic Lost World, DKC TF, Mario 3d World and Wonderful 101 for example but you will miss out on a lot of 3rd party stuff in sacrifice for that, making me recommend waiting for a price drop to 250 at least so owning a Wii U and a PS4/X1 would be reasonable money wise.  I learned my lesion with the Wii not to own only a Nintendo home console as I had to get a PS3 to play Generations and Sonic 4 Ep II, so if I get any system within the next year or so, the PS4 looks to be the best in my eyes.

But it really depends on what games you love the most; colorful adventure with classic Nintendo characters along with Sonic and Bayonetta or a wide batch of 3rd party stuff with the great Sony/Microsoft exclusives. 

CAT5. aka Ethernet.

Oh. Yeah, it doesn't. You have to use a USB to Ethernet. Sucks, I know.

That's the other thing though. It really depends on what games you want. I mean, I'm waiting on the PS4 until next year because I can rent most of the third party games on current generation consoles, but if XboxOne had an Alan Wake sequel or something unique to the platform that I cared about, I'd jump on it day one.

If you want third party games, go PS4/Xbox. If you want Nintendo and Nintendo only with a few exceptions, go Wii U.

Nintendo consoles as they are have always been good picks for secondary consoles, in my opinion. Going Nintendo alone means you'll miss out on a lot.

Wii U is a lot more valuable during this autumn/winter season with more "must haves" than the other consoles. If you're buying a PS4 you'd only be doing that for long term and some okay launch titles but it's much better holding off on that for a potential store or price deal.

There's no telling when that'll happen with the Wii U but short term that's a much better investment this year.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well I'm saving up for a Wii U soon and that's all I intend to buy, I've only ever had one console per generation, and one handheld, the exception would be the last gen, where I'll be getting my brothers Xbox 360 for free when he gets a newer console. Not really interested in many games that are on the other consoles (Bayo 2 is actually interesting me surprisingly) so not really a big loss to me anyway :)

Besides I hardly have the money or time to buy and play tons of games anyway, so one console is great for me

Edit: I have a question I thought of while on holiday. My cheap TV in my room only had a scart, so my Wii wouldn't work (and I forgot the scart adaptor). Could you startup and load a game using just the gamepad (as long as it had offscreen play) or would you need to have a TV to operate menus and such??

Edited by Jolt_TH

Wii U is a lot more valuable during this autumn/winter season with more "must haves" than the other consoles. If you're buying a PS4 you'd only be doing that for long term and some okay launch titles but it's much better holding off on that for a potential store or price deal.

There's no telling when that'll happen with the Wii U but short term that's a much better investment this year.

Well its a better investment if you are interested in what it has to offer this year, unfortunately that's not the case for everyone. :<

Well its a better investment if you are interested in what it has to offer this year, unfortunately that's not the case for everyone. :<

Okay you can put anything that way. But the Wii U will undeniably have the bigger line up this autumn.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yea the PS4 isn't starting off with the best library of games, most of its best sellers are in 2014 which is why I feel you should wait till next year if you plan on getting one; if you want major games and are interested in DK, Mario, Sonic and the like the you're better off with a Wii U this holiday.

Ok, I'm going to take my Sony vision off because I've become a fanboy and didn't realize it. I feel disgusting. But anyway, I have to agree, if those games do interest you and considering the Wii U's list of games for 2014 (hopefully that new Monolith game is gonna come out in 2014, cuz I'll admit that shit will push me over the edge to buying one), it is a better value than a PS4 right now. That said 2014 will probably be a much better year for the wii u.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well... of course the Wii U currently has more games than the PS4 has. It's been out for almost a year now. 

Spending several hundreds of dollars on a game console is a big investment, so unless you're planning on getting another system within a year, it's not exactly wise to pick one on the short term.

Nintendo has their first parties and a handful of third parties making games, while their competitors have their own, smaller first parties and just about every third party developer out there. The output of big games will be much, much higher, and I feel comfortable investing in a PS4 now, because I don't doubt that there will be more games that I want by the end of 2014 than there will be on the Wii U.

I have no doubt that the PS4 will have more games by 2014, but its 2013 and depending on your tastes, the Wii U has more favorable games atm.

It makes no sense to me to get a PS4 now and wait till next year for a large haul of games, than to get a Wii U now and a get a good haul this holiday. It really comes down to what you want. Personally if you like what's coming out this Holiday for Wii U, go ahead and get it and then invest for a PS4 next year that way you'll have both systems when their first party and third party games come out.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

Not to mention you'll have a better chance of getting a good deal on the PS4 next holiday.

Plus a decent amount of games will be out. I'd hate to repeat what I went through with the Wii U on the PS4. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, if it's just a year than that's fine, I suppose. 2014 looks like a good year for all the consoles, honestly. Late 2013 is pretty decent for Wii U as well. 

I assumed he meant he wanted something to last him several years, though. As in, next console won't be until 2015 or so at the earliest. In which case I don't see the Wii U being the better investment. Maybe for late 2013 and even early 2014, but definitely not 2015 I don't think.

Pick up a Wii U this Black Friday.

Pick up a PS4 next Black Friday.

Score MEGA discounts and have the games you want available.

• Thumbs Up 1

The new UK advert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wNrmEyjUOM&feature=youtu.be

Funny... if not inventing problems that the gamepad is supposed to solve.

Also, remember how people were saying, 'why does this game not have online mode?' Count the number of times they mention online gaming... no count the number of times they mention online in any capacity in that advert. Local is where it's at.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to mention you'll have a better chance of getting a good deal on the PS4 next holiday.

Plus a decent amount of games will be out. I'd hate to repeat what I went through with the Wii U on the PS4. 

Well I personally will be playing 5 PS4 games at launch...I couldn't say the same for the Wii U when I bought it.

That... really didn't make me want to buy it. tongue.png The guy seems about as excited as a lion stuck in a cage at the zoo...

Edited by Noel

The new UK advert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wNrmEyjUOM&feature=youtu.be

Also, remember how people were saying, 'why does this game not have online mode?' Count the number of times they mention online gaming... no count the number of times they mention online in any capacity in that advert. Local is where it's at.

Well...this advert should help those who think that the Wii U is just a new controller for the Wii. Which is a lot of people.

Also, DAT ACTING!

Edited by KrazyBean

The new UK advert

*video*

lol, I wonder how the Tails and Sonic thing got in there in there considering that this is a Nintendo ad. Related to the whole Nintendo exclusive and Europe publishing deal no doubt, but still unexpected and pretty cool. And there's some not so subtle Skyrim and Assassin's Creed digs in there too tongue.png

The advert doesn't create problems for the Wii U to solve so much as it just exaggerates existing ones. And then it unfortunately doesn't go into any of the potential cool things that the GamePad could do for gameplay. They show it only as something for off-TV play and menus. It's a bit dull. But it's still a pretty good advert. I'd like to see many things like it on the TV.

Oh and Rufus looks weird without his facial hair. I didn't think it was him at first!

Edited by Blue Blood

I'm not seeing how this advert is 'inventing' problems the Gamepad is supposed to solve. Sure it does exaggerate a bit, but that's what makes it funny.

Issues such as people needing to use the TV, having to pause the game to manage your inventory, or opening up the map within a pause menu exist. The map is one reason why I found Batman AC more enjoyable on the Wii U. I didn't have to pause every time I needed to see the map.

edit: can we please not quote the video when replying. thx

Edited by Autosaver