Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

So I just got an e-mail from Shopto.net notifying me about a price change in the UK for Sonic Lost World and Wind Waker HD. You can now get SLW for £32.86 and Wind Waker HD for £39.85 from them.

Sonic Lost World used to cost £37.86 and Wind Waker HD used to cost £42.85.

Wow. I already have SLW on order with them. Guess I'd better order WW too. Ta for the info!

Edit: I have a question I thought of while on holiday. My cheap TV in my room only had a scart, so my Wii wouldn't work (and I forgot the scart adaptor). Could you startup and load a game using just the gamepad (as long as it had offscreen play) or would you need to have a TV to operate menus and such??

You can boot up a Wii U and play a game (that has offscreen play) without a TV at all.  I took my Wii U into work one down day and discovered we were locked out of the conference room (which has the TV).  We spent the evening passing around the gamepad playing NSMBU.

I won a Luigi pin for reviewing the DLC!  I'd find this more exciting if I thought that either the pins were rare, or that there was more competition than I suspect there was.  biggrin.png

I have a quick question for everyone.

Does small parts of the art on the front of your Wii U games sometimes chip off? I'm talking like, really small chips near the center of the disk on the art? Several of my discs have done that, and I'm hoping it's not due to a defective Wii U.

Uh.. I don't recall my Wii U chipping parts of my disc. That doesn't sound good, especially if it ends up damaging the disk in a way it can't be played.

In other news, Art Academy is out now!

Kind of off-topic but are there any European online video game retailers where I can pre-order Lost World and get it on release day?

Just wondering :)

Uh.. I don't recall my Wii U chipping parts of my disc. That doesn't sound good, especially if it ends up damaging the disk in a way it can't be played.

In other news, Art Academy is out now!

Not so much the disc itself, just the art decal on the front of it. Wondering if the chips could damage the Wii U, if there's not already a problem already.

Kind of off-topic but are there any European online video game retailers where I can pre-order Lost World and get it on release day?

Just wondering smile.png

For the UK I'd definitely recommend ShopTo. They dispatch their games early enough to get them for release date at least, if not a day before. And to add to that they're always pretty cheap too. Not so sure when it comes to France though.

• Thumbs Up 1

BRPmtT_CUAAdLEF.jpg

Iwata is getting blushy here. Is Kamiya too sexy?

"Please understand, if I speak well enough, then Kamiya kun may notice me"

• Thumbs Up 6

I know how much Nintendo love there is on this forum, so I'm going to ask some questions here because I can get answers to my questions in one place from people who have used and know the system.

I've had a slight change of heart and am considering buying one. I know it's rude to ask this much, but if anyone could even answer a few I'd be really grateful.

How fast is the web browser (compared to let's say a tablet?)

How does text input work, considering it's a resistive touch screen?

Can I use things like Netflix without a TV? Can I just use it on the controller?

How well does the youtube app work?

Are digital purchases tired to an account or the console?

Would I be able to get 50-75ft from the controller if I wanted to play away from the TV? How reliable is the wireless signal?

How is the WiFi? I've read of people having issues or something and I'm not willing to buy an adapter for Ethernet.

Can I play Wii games (that don't need the Wiimote on wii) on the controllers screen?

Can you have two things open at once? Like youtube and something else?

Does youtube work in the browser?

Can I use composite cables with it and if so can I use the Wii's? (don't laugh)

Is the deluxe model really that much better of a deal? I'd only add my own hd so internal doesn't matter to me.

I know the dpad and analog sticks will be good, but how do the buttons feel? They look like bigger ds buttons, do they feel like them?

We don't have any stores to try one out at, I don't know anyone with one and the only place I can rent anything is an hour away. Hope you guys understand.

How fast is the web browser (compared to let's say a tablet?)

REALLY fast, in fact, it scored as one of the top browsers when compared to others (IE, PS3/PSP Browser, etc). You can also browse off your Gamepad without a TV.

How does text input work, considering it's a resistive touch screen?

Use a stylus to tap on a virtual keyboard.

Can I use things like Netflix without a TV? Can I just use it on the controller?

Absolutely.

How well does the youtube app work?

Works but sucks ass. Just use the browser and go on youtube. So much better.

Are digital purchases tired to an account or the console?

Both, but the account is locked to one system. Rumors are coming up this may be soon removed in the near future.

Would I be able to get 50-75ft from the controller if I wanted to play away from the TV? How reliable is the wireless signal?

I don't think so. Keep in mind it also depends on the location too. Say if you're 50 feet behind a wall, it's not going to work. 50 feet in the open with the Wii U in sight might work. It's not made to be played in other rooms.

How is the WiFi? I've read of people having issues or something and I'm not willing to buy an adapter for Ethernet.

I had issues, but my router is in the basement. I'm not sure if people having issues are also users with a poor wifi connection with the router being far away.

Can I play Wii games (that don't need the Wiimote on wii) on the controllers screen?

no

Can you have two things open at once? Like youtube and something else?

Yes and No. You can't have two apps open, but you can have Miiverse and the internet browser open while the game is running.

Does youtube work in the browser?

Yes and it's the best way to experience youtube.

Can I use composite cables with it and if so can I use the Wii's? (don't laugh)

You can use the Wii Composite or Component cables on the Wii U. It comes with HDMI so I would stick with the HDMI if your TV supports it.

Is the deluxe model really that much better of a deal? I'd only add my own hd so internal doesn't matter to me.

Charging Cradle

Stand for Gamepad

10% Back on Digital Purchases

Extra Space

It's sexy

and free copy of NintendoLand

I know the dpad and analog sticks will be good, but how do the buttons feel? They look like bigger ds buttons, do they feel like them?

Nintendo buttons are the highest quality. I really have never compared how they felt, but they're REALLY comfortable.

Btw, Target and Bestbuy are offering $50 Gift Cards with the Deluxe Model. May as well pick that up instead since you get a gift card.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the reply:) Only a few more things.

Use a stylus to tap on a virtual keyboard.

This really worries me. I remember resistive screens on devices in the past and they were always bad. Does the screen respond well with text input and does it ever get annoying to do so?

Both, but the account is locked to one system. Rumors are coming up this may be soon removed in the near future.

Let's for the sake of this imagine they don't change that. What happens if the console breaks several years down the line, is there any easy way to transfer anything?

I don't think so. Keep in mind it also depends on the location too. Say if you're 50 feet behind a wall, it's not going to work. 50 feet in the open with the Wii U in sight might work. It's not made to be played in other rooms.

Disappoints me some, but I won't hold that against it. I didn't really expect it too.

You can't have two apps open, but you can have Miiverse and the internet browser open while the game is running.

How is app switching then? Is it reasonably fast?

10% Back on Digital Purchases

I've never heard about this. How long is that true? Is it only a certain number of games or up to a certain amount?

Btw, Target and Bestbuy are offering $50 Gift Cards with the Deluxe Model. May as well pick that up instead since you get a gift card.

We don't have either of those stores anywhere near me, but thanks for letting me know. Maybe I could get one online and have them ship.

Edited by SkyLlama

This really worries me. I remember resistive screens on devices in the past and they were always bad. Does the screen respond well with text input and does it ever get annoying to do so?

I find it better than the way the iPhone does it. With the stylus, there's no room for error or typos. I hated having to use my finger and keep tapping the wrong key on my iPhone. I've never had problems with it. If it is a problem, you can just plug in your own keyboard.

Let's for the sake of this imagine they don't change that. What happens if the console breaks several years down the line, is there any easy way to transfer anything?

Nope. You would have to get it repaired.

How is app switching then? Is it reasonably fast?

When the Wii U launched, it was pretty slow. The latest and upcoming Wii U update made it fast.

I've never heard about this. How long is that true? Is it only a certain number of games or up to a certain amount?

2 years

We don't have either of those stores anywhere near me, but thanks for letting me know. Maybe I could get one online and have them ship.

Crap, thought you were American.

I would personally wait for a deal on the Deluxe. They seem to have one every other week.

• Thumbs Up 1

Indie Devs do what Square Enix Don't

Well I guess we all know why FF XV and KH III aren't coming to the Wii U...the same reason why every 3rd party developer is shafting the console. Low install base.

Edited by KrazyBean

Wait, the Wii U does have Direct X 11? I though it was basically a supped up 360 power wise, so this announcement is quite interesting.

I guess this sorta confirms that many 3rd party games CAN be ported to the Wii U in a runnable and playable state from the X1/PS4 builds with some optimization.

...We will have to see this fall if the Wii U picks up a lot more sales, as that could make next gen games land on Wii U if the install base increases (notably KH III; its still early in development, so I would think that it would be easer to bring to the Wii U if that version is made early on).

They're most likely using the DX11 render in Unity to compile the shader into DX10, making it possible on Wii U.

Rewriting the code to a single shader =/= porting open world JRPG.

You won't be seeing high-end PS4/One games ported without being neutered, and that's if they get ported at all.

Edit - 

Hi guys! Teku Studios here.

Just to clarify, we will ADAPT our DirectX11 features to Wii U, not that it supports them natively. However, we are very happy with Nintendo and its console, and we think that it well deserves that extra effort :)

It's in the comments.

Edited by Discoid

They're most likely using the DX11 render in Unity to compile the shader into DX10, making it possible on Wii U.

You won't be seeing high-end PS4/One games ported without being neutered, and that's if they get ported at all.

Edit - 

It's in the comments.

I think we kind of expected this for the most part. At least the difference in neutering isn't so extreme as it is with the Wii. Have you tried playing Modern Warfare on the Wii?

Indie Devs do what Square Enix Don't

That was actually confirmed bullshit. I know several users kept linking that in this thread but it was outed that it was shitty journalism. From what I remember, Square Enix didn't say anything about Direct X 11.

I highly doubt Kingdom Hearts 3 would be hard to port over. It's just the lack of reasoning to do so. Also, Direct X 11 is exclusive to Xbox One. PS4 and Wii U use Open-GL iirc which supports as many features as Direct X. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U did in fact have the ability to pull off the same feature set. But with low Wii U sales, Square Enix isn't going to blindly make a game. It costs money. It's the same reason why EA support was neuteured.

Also, Square Enix never said anything about Direct X. I remember you using that argument earlier in the thread to debate against the Wii U.

Edited by Autosaver