Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Oh, I thought those games were in Wii Fit U. Well, I guess considering Baseball, Boxing, and Golf are pretty boring, Tennis and Bowling are all you really need.

I was wondering if Wii Fit U would be available as a download, since it was designed to work with the Fitmeter.  That is one game I have wished was installable on the Wii in toto, since I do use it daily which requires an extra disk to haul when I travel and a lot of switching in and out with whatever else I'm currently playing.  The Wii Fit channel helps some, but it only lets you weigh in, which means if I'm traveling but can't take the Balance Board, I have to take the disk, so I can do an exercise which doesn't require the board.  This looks perfect for me, as I can download the game, then buy the Fitmeter.  (Recommended price, $19.99, per the main site.)

I like the idea of being able to walk around Google maps too.  I've often wished the Balance board could be used for more things.

Edited by Thrippa

Huh... The Wii Fit Trainer looks a bit more tan when I watch this on the YouTube App on My Smart TV than on my laptop. Weird.

Anyway, if I were to get this, I'd go for that "Free game download with Fit Meter purchase." I've already have a balance board, so that will save on the cost easy for me.

I've always enjoyed the Wii Fit games. Heck, I was actually excited about the WFT's appearance in Smash for the game she's from as well as her interesting potential. So, I'll likely get this.

As for Wii Sports Club. Whether late or not, I definitely like the online details. It really sounds like they put some thought into it. As for the games: if they are literally just the original WiiSports mini-games remade with motion plus with an HD upgrade then FUCK baseball. I'll just get the other four. Boxing, first among them since it was my favorite.

Edited by YoshiUnity

Wii Sports Club is odd. It's available digitally, split into sections, you pay specifically for whatever sport you want, is F2P for the first 24 hours to give you a feel for every sport to let you choose what you want to pay for, has substantial online integration and encourages online community play? 

It's... in line with modern practices? I'm impressed? This is like the Anti-Nintendo at work here. 

like the Anti-Nintendo!

anti-nintendo also gave me a game with a great script, lengthy story with some really good twists and turns, action/combat focus, and good online play. Truth be told I like them a lot more than Nintendo Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 2

First I thought £9 per sport is expensive for Wii Sports Club since there are some decent games that you can get for that price or cheaper to download, but then again thinking about it having it free for a day and the Day Pass means that you can try it or if you know you're going to only play it a few times. People pay for box office movies or pay per view sports and it is better than the microtransaction alternative. Still a bit expensive but hopefully that Nintendo don't switch off the online servers and gets support for the life on the console to see other sports that Nintendo can try like football, American football, Cricket [silm chance but if Nintendo ever wants the Indian market...], hockey.

Well providing that Nintendo do updates every so often such as new courses/course rotation (for Tennis and Golf), new costumes for your Mii, new modes and if the online really works then it might end up not being as bad. Just hope that it isn't lazy and ends up being Wii Sports HD dividing up the game into sections.

Exactly how? They already have the basic multiplayer gameplay set up, exactly how would it be difficult to set up at the very least online sessions for players to drop in/drop out after playing a stage? Even Mario Kart Wii had a functional online system that worked pretty well.

Mario Kart can make up for lag by having your opponents be partially AI controlled by the system on your end, with their position being updated less often.  This is why you can sometimes aim a shell perfectly and it'll go right through them.  Once you get a handle on how the game manages lag, you'll find yourself frequently aiming "where you think they're going to be" and having your shells connect with the opponent despite the shell not actually quite touching them.

In shoot-em-ups and platformers, precision really REALLY counts.  A mere moment's lag could ruin an entire level attempt.  It's probably much much harder to fine tune the data transfer required to avoid that.

Game design is never as simple as it sounds.  I know I use Valve games as examples a lot but they're the only developer I play who add commentary to their games: In Left 4 Dead they had a moment in the commentary mode where they mentioned how every tiny little thing counts when it comes to online play.  In their example, they described how because the game is primarily horizontal movement based, they managed to shave a huge amount of data transfer during online play by having the vertical position of your character (and other game elements) only be transferred to other players when said vertical position in the play space changes - since most of the time you're running around shooting stuff as opposed to jumping or dropping off ledges and climbing over things, it's a waste of data to be having every object constantly sending numbers regarding its vertical position if it's been the same for the past 20 seconds.

Imagine how much rapid data would have to be transferred for a game like Mario 3D World, where you have four players all interacting with not just the world, but hazards, gimmicks, and worst of all - each other.

When internet connections get involved, game design is never as simple as "oh it works local so why not just "add online" as if doing so is as simple as copying and pasting some code from Mario Kart 7 and modifying it a bit.

I mean I want online 3D Mario like there's no tomorrow but... yeah I can sympathise.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

LittleBigPlanet handled four players at once just fine. I don't see why this shouldn't. Yeah, 2D/3D, but this game's visuals and structure are extremely basic and I can't imagine it's quite coding to the metal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Im hoping that with Wii Sports Club we can finally have a new super mario bros game with online co-op please 

I really don't know how much of what Jezz said is true, but I can't imagine that it'd be impossible for them to program it in a way that its at least competent.

Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate is 50% off on the eShop until Sunday. The deal has already started in both Europe and NA for both Wii U and 3DS versions.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=212592

Believe me, this is totally worth it! I'm still putting in the hours on this game... It's gooooooooooooood.

Friends20 coupon code @ ToysRUs for 20% off your order.

Wind Waker HD/Lego City Undercover/Wii Party U --> $39.99

Wonderful 101/Donkey Kong/Mario 3D World/Watch Dogs/Rayman Legends --> $47.99

Pokemon X/Y/A Link Between Worlds --> $32.99

• Thumbs Up 1

IGN's list of top 25 Wii U games is....pretty terrible.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/18/igns-top-25-wii-u-games?page=1

25. Trine 2
24. Assassin's Creed 3
23. Mutant Mudds Deluxe
22. Little Inferno
21. Toki Tori 2
20. Bit Trip Presents Runner 2
19. Ducktales Remastered
18. Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed
17. COD: Black Ops 2
16. Disney Infinity
15. Scribblenauts Unlimited
14. New Super Luigi U
13. Zombi U
12. Mass Effect 3
11. Resident Evil Revelations
10. Splinter Cell Blacklist
9. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.
8. Batman Arkham City
7. NFS: Most Wanted U
6. The Wonderful 101
5. Nintendo Land
4. Lego City Undercover
3. New Super Mario Bros. U
2. Rayman Legends
1. Pikmin 3

A disturbingly large amount of this list is terrible ports of third party games. I can't even believe they thought this was the time t-

wait.....wait a fuck.

6. The Wonderful 101
5. Nintendo Land
4. Lego City Undercover
3. New Super Mario Bros. U

what the fuck is all this shit ahead of Wonderful 101

Edited by Plasm Wraith

Regardless of whether or not I agree with any of the games' placements, I can say I very much agree that it's just too early.

I mean, they could've at the very least waited until the middle of the holiday season or something, rather than now when little to none of the "big" exclusives are out.

Edited by Haden

I didn't think a list could be worst than the Nintendo 3DS Top 25 list I posted a few days ago. xD

With that said, I must say that I am happy to see Rayman Legends in the Top 3. I haven't played a Pikmin game, so I can't comment on Pikmin 3.

Edited by canderson

Friends20 coupon code @ ToysRUs for 20% off your order.

Wind Waker HD/Lego City Undercover/Wii Party U --> $39.99

Wonderful 101/Donkey Kong/Mario 3D World/Watch Dogs/Rayman Legends --> $47.99

Pokemon X/Y/A Link Between Worlds --> $32.99

This code doesn't work for me. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

LittleBigPlanet handled four players at once just fine. I don't see why this shouldn't. Yeah, 2D/3D, but this game's visuals and structure are extremely basic and I can't imagine it's quite coding to the metal.

I really don't know how much of what Jezz said is true, but I can't imagine that it'd be impossible for them to program it in a way that its at least competent.

I won't lie, as much as I know all that stuff about how complex it is, I'm sure it's just as much them thinking "it's not worth the effort" and it probably is completely in the realms of possibility.

Still true that in a game like Mario a single bit of lag could mess stuff up though.

Why are people so upset that Mario is high up on the list on this system? I know I haven't played it yet, and I know its similiar to the wii version, which I haven't played yet either. Is it really that not good of a game to most people?

You know on a serious note, if Fans were able to get a number of game news networks to help back them, to help them spread the word, Namco might end up doing a Wii-u port after all, trick is contacting a number of major game news networks, any thoughts?

I won't lie, as much as I know all that stuff about how complex it is, I'm sure it's just as much them thinking "it's not worth the effort" and it probably is completely in the realms of possibility.

Still true that in a game like Mario a single bit of lag could mess stuff up though.

Besides, LBP is floaty as hell, and not nearly as precise. There is a much, much larger margin for error in that kind of game.

I'm inclined to agree with Jez on this one, even a bit of lag would wreak havoc on a precise platformer like Mario.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

Why are people so upset that Mario is high up on the list on this system? I know I haven't played it yet, and I know its similiar to the wii version, which I haven't played yet either. Is it really that not good of a game to most people?

The gameplay is still as top notch as ever; it's just the re-using of tropes and similar things like that that people dislike about the NSMB series, I've noticed.

Edited by Haden