Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

IGN's list of top 25 Wii U games is....pretty terrible.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/18/igns-top-25-wii-u-games?page=1

A disturbingly large amount of this list is terrible ports of third party games. I can't even believe they thought this was the time t-

wait.....wait a fuck.

what the fuck is all this shit ahead of Wonderful 101

Im just glad it even got on the list, I just wished SASRT wasn't so low.

The gameplay is still as top notch as ever; it's just the re-using of tropes and similar things like that that people dislike about the NSMB series, I've noticed.

Could be worse, they could go even more retro and make 7/10ths of the levels cloudbush themed.

• Thumbs Up 7

Heh, Namco wants demand, they should look at the Miiverse, its buzzing with demand, also this petition now has over a 1000 signatures, hows that for some demand, and thats without any coverage! http://www.change.org/petitions/namco-bandai-port-soulcalibur-ii-hd-online-to-the-wii-u

Comeon we need to try and spread the word!

Why are people so upset that Mario is high up on the list on this system? I know I haven't played it yet, and I know its similiar to the wii version, which I haven't played yet either. Is it really that not good of a game to most people?

The NSMB series gets well deserved shit mostly for each one being almost identical to the other.  Levels looks and feel the same despite having different layouts, and the music is reused throughout all the titles; they almost feel like expansions instead of sequels to each other.  

The only thing NSMBU is noticeably guilty of is reusing music though.  General tropes are reused (Grassland, Desert, Forest, Iceworld, Fireworld, etc), but they're all given a new look (my memory's a bit fuzzy on the forest and castles/towers).  Honestly, NSMBU is the best 2D Mario platformer in ages.  Does it deserve to be higher than W101?  Fuck no, but I'm honestly not surprised by it being pretty high up; it's really damn good.

Also that challenge mode thing NSMBU has is the best damn thing to ever happen to Mario; it's really addicting going for gold.  It also shows how much effort the devs put into the levels considering how well everything flows for speed runs and the like.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 8

I'm surprised Wonderful 101 is 6th considering IGN gave it a 7.4. Guessing the person who made that list enjoyed it a lot more than Keza did. Though personally I'd rank it top 3 myself.

The problem with New Super Mario Bros. U isn't that it is a bad game because Nintendo actually put some effort in with the graphics and the level design considering they have pretty much mastered the platforming genre so the gameplay is solid. Plus it is my favourite of the NSMB series. Like previously mentioned Nintendo felt that all they could do is tweak minor things at 2D platforming at this point like new power ups and different level design. I think one of the main reasons why it got a bad reputation is because it came out months after New Super Mario Bros. 2 that was opposite to NSMBU as in that it recycled graphics from NSMB and NSMBWii, had an uninteresting gimmick and felt like a lazy greedy cash in (the cover explains it all) by comparison even though it had DLC to try to mix things up. Also it is the 4th in the NSMB series so people are getting fed up of them being similar even though ironically for years people wanted a new 2D Mario game. As a result the jumps aren't as big. Compare NSMB to NSMBU is a big jump, compare NSMBWii with NSMBU not as much to the point where people call it Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii.

As for that list, well there are only 50 or so Wii U games out so far excluding Virtual Console so to do a list of 25 best games at this time is just too pre-mature and so at the moment it is nearly half of the library. Especially when the person who came up with the list was trying to avoid low quality licensed games such as Smurfs 2, The Croods Prehistoric Party, Fast and Furious: Showdown or shovelware ripping off Nintendo by Ubisoft such as Sports Connection and My Fitness. So that's why there are some iffy ports in there like Mass Effect 3, Resident Evil: Revelations, Assassin's Creed 3 and superior in some ways to the other console versions but have their own problems like Need for Speed: Most Wanted (better graphics but crash prone) and Splinter Cell: Blacklist (easier to select weapons/gadgets, no screen tearing like the PS3/360 versions, no need to install anything and the port was actually done by the people who made Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and a version of Double Agent but has a missing mode [might be a chance for a patch if enough demand], longer loading times as a result of no installing and debatable regarding graphics). Also number 15 on the list doesn't exist in some countries unless you was lucky to get it before the recall or imported the Austrailian version so if you are from Europe, there is less choice.

To be fair though, many of the ports were handled by other companies, they didn't have much time to do the ports that requires a completely different architecture (Ubisoft Shanghai said that they would have put the other mode if they had time since they had to use that time to put the Wii U features in such as the Off TV mode and using the Gamepad, Nintendo would have said no if they didn't put in the Wii U features), some of the ports were while the system was still in development, the game might have not had a Wii U version planned originally and it will get worse when the PC-based PS4 and Xbone come out so the Wii U will get even less attention from Western 3rd parties. Need for Speed: Most Wanted is an oddity but that came out months after the other versions with less attention. I think that might be a reason why EA bailed out so they can use their existing engines on the PS3/360 plus next year their games are going to be sports games roster updates anyway on them consoles (FIFA 15 onwards) and saves time to just use the same engine for PS4/Xbone/PC instead of doing that and making a Wii U engine at the same time. If EA did return to the Wii U that I personally doubt, it would be just roster updates of their sports games from their launch titles like the Vita versions. Personally I think the only reason why Activision and Ubisoft are even supporting the Wii U is either help from Nintendo or putting it on all systems for market share since the Wii U versions are probably made as a loss but not enough for no development and the profit from the PS3/360 versions covers the loss. Plus the fact that Activision and Ubisoft both have plenty of money to do this but even then Ubi says that they are cutting down.

Not surprised that MH3U only scraped onto the top ten due to how niche the title is. NSMB being so high is bullshit though, although most IGN lists are rubbish anyway. 

NSMB being so high is bullshit though, although most IGN lists are rubbish anyway. 

What about it being placed high on their list is "bullshit," exactly? Even if it's slightly uninspired, it's still a genuinely great and fun game.

I'm glad to know those reasons are why people dislike the mario game and it isn't because it is a bad game. Being too similiar to your previous games, yeah that is totally understandable as to why some people would not care for it. I think many people get upset when you are too similiar to your previous game, but at the same time, you can also go too far away from what you previously were and get the same exact critique from people. I guess it is usually finding that happy medium in it all with sequels and such. I have played the DS version of new super mario brothers, but that is it so far. I haven't played the wii versions yet because of their price. I had planned on it eventually, but I rarely pop for expensive mario games usually until they go down in price alot, which takes many many years. Like I JUST bought mario galaxy because it was finally down to $17 and that took so many years.

Ok, so thinking of taking advantadge of the Toysrus deal to go ahead and get LOZWWHD, however I was considering getting another 30$ game as well(since $80x.2=16 80-16=$64 and so this will be the cheapest way to get a second game)

Was considering New super Luigi U(never played a NSMB game btw), or Marvel avengers Battle for earth, so any preferences from you guys? or recommendations?

It gets super annoying to see people bash New Super Mario Brothers U and claim it as a terrible game despite these same people not playing it. Can you at least try out the game before judging it? Who cares if it uses the same level tropes? They've all been given complete facelifts than the other times we saw them.

Hell, many people put NSMBU up to the ranks of Super Mario World. With that said, it definitely can't be that bad if people are putting it up as one of the best Mario games.

The list isn't that bad. I'm really wondering where the "90% of the titles are shitty ports" came from considering the fact 90% of the titles are considered the superior versions to the original game. Trine 2. Most Wanted. Resident Evil. Black Ops II.

It's also a bit of a shame to see people not give Lego City Undercover the credit it's due. It's a great game.

Seeing those pics makes me super hyped to get mine October 4th, El Driver. Can't wait :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Video games, to me, are something I regard very highly as an art form, and that's a stance I'll defend vehemently. It's something that's very important to me, and as such, it upsets me when I see uninspired, repetitious games. Game mechanics are very important, obviously, but there's more to a game than that in my opinion.

The New Super Mario Bros. games have new level layouts, but the visuals change very little between games, the music is recycled and uninspired to begin with (I can not fucking stand the NSMB series' music, personally), there is no story whatsoever, there is no world-building or lore to speak of, and there's nothing to compel me to play other than the level design being solid. It's a game in its most basic form, and I personally don't think it really shines in any aspect at all. At least not to me. Super Meat Boy was just as basic but I vastly preferred the design of that over Mario.

Lots of this is just my opinion, obviously, and it should be kept in mind that I just don't find Mario all that fun to begin with, but the entire NSMB series, to me, is such a blatant lazy cash-in that it does really upset me to see it get praise and sales when brilliant games like Kid Icarus are left in its shadow.

The fact that Kid Icarus Uprising made less money than New Super Mario Bros. 2 and is far less likely to get a sequel is a god damn tragedy.

• Thumbs Up 5

"uninspired, repetitious"

...Did you even play the game? The visuals got a huge makeover and make the previous titles look like trash. The level design is absolutely brilliant and uses tons of new ideas.

there is no story whatsoever,

ha

ha

HA

• Thumbs Up 1

ha

ha

HA

Well, let's be fair now: "Bowser's holding Princess Peach hostage again. You, your brother and your bros must stop him" isn't exactly a substantial narrative by any stretch of the imagination. That's an exaggeration on Dissy's part, but still.

• Thumbs Up 5

"uninspired, repetitious"

...Did you even play the game? The visuals got a huge makeover and make the previous titles look like trash. The level design is absolutely brilliant and uses tons of new ideas.

The backgrounds are now appear to be hand drawn and are more detailed. I'm still not particularly impressed. Furthermore, I already said the level design was good. Did you even read my post? I get that it's good. I'm saying there's more to a game than solid level design.

ha

ha

HA

Sorry, I guess I exaggerated. 

What I should have said is that I've seen children's books with more complex narratives and characters.

I get that it's good. I'm saying there's more to a game than solid level design.

For this type of game, that's all that's really needed. And even then it still introduced a few new ideas (Boost Rush Mode, Challenge Mode, Squirrel Suit). It's not a bad or unimaginative game at all.

Video games, to me, are something I regard very highly as an art form, and that's a stance I'll defend vehemently. It's something that's very important to me, and as such, it upsets me when I see uninspired, repetitious games. Game mechanics are very important, obviously, but there's more to a game than that in my opinion.

The New Super Mario Bros. games have new level layouts, but the visuals change very little between games, the music is recycled and uninspired to begin with (I can not fucking stand the NSMB series' music, personally), there is no story whatsoever, there is no world-building or lore to speak of, and there's nothing to compel me to play other than the level design being solid. It's a game in its most basic form, and I personally don't think it really shines in any aspect at all. At least not to me. Super Meat Boy was just as basic but I vastly preferred the design of that over Mario.

Lots of this is just my opinion, obviously, and it should be kept in mind that I just don't find Mario all that fun to begin with, but the entire NSMB series, to me, is such a blatant lazy cash-in that it does really upset me to see it get praise and sales when brilliant games like Kid Icarus are left in its shadow.

The fact that Kid Icarus Uprising made less money than New Super Mario Bros. 2 and is far less likely to get a sequel is a god damn tragedy.

While I agree with the sentiment Discoid, since Uprising is my favorite 3DS game bar none, you gotta remember that Mario is the more accessible and recognisable games out of the two. Sure, while NSMB2 is probably the worst in it's series, the game can still be played by practically everyone, thanks to it's pretty much perfected "pick up and play" controls. Kid Icarus: Uprising on the other hand, while still having fairly good controls and a ton of options to change said controls, was still a bit weird or problematic for some people to get used to (especially for leftys), which might have caused some damage in it's sales. 

Even so, I wouldn't worry too much about it not getting a sequel, since it did take 25 years for Kid Icarus to even get it's sequel.

Though I would totally prefer it not take as long as it did if they were to make another, ha ha.

Apart from Dissy's comments about Super Meat Boy (which I also find to be utter tripe) I have to agree. The NSMB series is crap. It pretty much stands as the epitome of lazy and uninspired game design in the same way as many claim CoD to be. Both are milked series churned out on a regular basis with minimal improvements or changes because it's a guarantee that they'll sell. The only NSMB instalment I can really accept as a game that effort and time went into is the original. It went through a very long development process with all sorts of gameplay and design choices tested and changed. It wasn't perfect, but it was good. It was enough like the first SMB to be nostalgic but also had an identity of it's own. After it was such a hit, NSMBW, NSMB2 and NSMBU have been carbon copies of it.

Uh...

... isn't this the Wii U topic?

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uh...

... isn't this the Wii U topic?

I know, right? Let's go back to bitching about that console and its current overall meh reception!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, I guess I exaggerated. 

What I should have said is that I've seen children's books with more complex narratives and characters.

Both you and Komo missed the point.

If you're asking for a story in a 2D platforming Mario game, you're doing it wrong. NSMB is FANTASTIC without a 'story'. I love how each level flows right after another. I don't need some narrative to go along with it.

Both you and Komo missed the point.

If you're asking for a story in a 2D platforming Mario game, you're doing it wrong. NSMB is FANTASTIC without a 'story'. I love how each level flows right after another. I don't need some narrative to go along with it.

I need something to keep me interested. Right now it's been the same game with different level layouts 4 times over. Even if I did think the gameplay was fantastic (which I don't) I suspect I'd be pretty bored of it by now. Frankly I don't understand in the slightest why we have to keep it as the exact same thing over and over. There's no good reason for it.