Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

maybe well see Miyamoto's new IP eh? eh? anyways im keeping my expectations lows

Was Other M really that bad?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer:

But this isn't the Metroid thread so that's all I'll say on that.

Was Other M really that bad?

I personally don't think it is. All I know is a lot of long-time Metroid fans were a bit upset of how the narrative played out in the game.

In order for Nintendo to even have the balls to show up at VGX, they have to have SOMETHING to catch the mostly Xbox and Playstation audience there.

But what could it be? Metroid? Smash? Zelda?

I could imagine two possible games to be at the VGX; another Retro Studios tittle (they can't just be making DK Tropical Freeze...) with that game being aimed at the hardcore crowd (maybe some type of FPS? a cross-over tittle like that rumored Star Fox X Metriod?) or the second exclusive Sonic tittle (made by the Generations team; the game that will be the show stopper with amazing visuals that scream next gen).

....I could imagine seeing Miyamoto's new IP as that will blow peoples minds and really be something special (he hasn't made a traditional new Nintendo IP since Pikmin)...

Smash would be the best fit honestly. The Western base for that series is absolutely massive.

Also Other M was terrible. It wasn't just a bad Metroid game, it was a bad game period. GamingBrit's massive breakdown of the game posted earlier is the gold standard for tearing apart a game and its flaws. The game is a goddamn travesty.

• Thumbs Up 7

For Other M, that game felt...not Nintendo. What I mean, is that it lack ALOT of what makes a Nintendo game great; tons of polish, tight gameplay mechanics, a unique tone and vibe, and just all around fun that you don't find in many games. Other M fell flat in so many areas (gameplay, controls, level design, REALLY horrid item/equipment progression) and its story so horrendous, I find it very hard to even call it a Nintendo game...not even a Metriod game; just a complete mess made by a developer who has NO idea how to make a metriod game.

If we do see another one coming to Wii U, I hope they stay far away from this game's things and if they want to go back to their roots...then do what 3d World does; mix old and new in a very original way.

The problem with Other M all lies in Sakatmoto's idiotic decisions and shitty writing. The gameplay was fine but Sakamoto shouldn't head the next Metroid.

I find it sad. Sakamoto's last game he headed before other M was Fusion, which also had the strongest emphasis in story and linearity before Other M, but he handled it so well there.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly liked Other M, and usually disagree with most of the fighting that goes on about it. The biggest one I hear all over the place is people complaining that Samus actually has emotions and isn't some cold blood killer like she should be that doesn't have emotions at all and just is almost heartless from what I heard so many people say in the past. Yes, the game is a bit short compared to some of the others, but it was fine by me.

What I would have liked to have seen was them make it slightly darker. It was almost like metroid survival horror the way they made it out to be in the beginning, which was quite interesting to be honest and I could see working. The lone bounty hunter on some strange space station with who knows what around.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, since that is a Wii game and this is the WiiU thread.

The biggest one I hear all over the place is people complaining that Samus actually has emotions and isn't some cold blood killer like she should be that doesn't have emotions at all and just is almost heartless from what I heard so many people say in the past.

The issue isn't she "has emotions" now (which isn't true anyway -- give at least Fusion and Prime 3 a look); it's that the story and the writing pretty much takes away every sense of genuine agency that we come to expect from Samus. She's just so... submissive here, it's rather annoyingly jarring to see.

• Thumbs Up 3

Samus shouldn't be paralyses with fear at the thought of killing Ridley a 7th time. I don't care how you try to frame it.

The issue isn't she "has emotions" now (which isn't true anyway -- give at least Fusion and Prime 3 a look); it's that the story and the writing pretty much takes away every sense of genuine agency that we come to expect from Samus. She's just so... submissive here, it's rather annoyingly jarring to see.

Believe me, I know the fact that she was a bit "too" submissive in the game. Don't get me wrong, I know the writing isn't perfect, but I still enjoyed the game. I've just seen many many people before they hate that she had emotions because it is a nintendo game and you can't have that be in a nintendo game and it be good. That you need to be able to imagine what the character is like for yourself and not have it be told to you. They then use Mario Sunshine as the example of this, since because there is emotion and voice acting in the game and it isn't all imagination for people's personal fancanons that the game is bad for that reason. Believe me, it bugs me a lot to hear this kind of stuff.

but I still enjoyed the game.

Yeah, here's the thing. Whenever people talk about their dislike toward the game, they never bring up the most important part - the gameplay. In fact, most people I've talked to seem to have no problem with it (except they prefer Prime). They always talk about the story.

...And the story debate has gone through 3000x that it's annoying to see now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, here's the thing. Whenever people talk about their dislike toward the game, they never bring up the most important part - the gameplay. In fact, most people I've talked to seem to have no problem with it (except they prefer Prime). They always talk about the story.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The gameplay of the game is still just fine to me. Yes, the prime games may be a bit better, though 3 was a bit finicky with the wiimote motion controls. Other M is still a good game, gameplay wise. The story may be questionable, but don't let that ruin it for you.

Actually, I'm not all that hot for the gameplay, either. It was flashy (and I kinda dig the Sensemove ability), but it didn't really feel all that substantial. The actual movement being limited to the Wii Remote and its dinky D-Pad was a bit naff, and the less said about those "Find This Tiny And/Or Nearly Invisible Thing in Sudden 1st Person Mode" bits, the better.

The gameplay is actually completely different from an actual Metroid game. NOTHING about this game feels like a Metroid game to me. Not to mention even on it's own it's shallow as all hell and controls badly. 

I find this ironic given that the video which was posted on the previous page dedicated a whole section to desconstructing the gameplay and pointing out why it sucked, too. 

The base gameplay for Other M could've been the foundation for something incredible. Too bad it was marred to forced controller gimmicks, terrible design decisions and a plethora of other issues for the whole game.

I fear this may cause Nintendo to play it safe and go back to the tanky movement in Prime. Nothing wrong with that, but agile Samus had a lot of potential.

• Thumbs Up 2

I find it sad. Sakamoto's last game he headed before other M was Fusion, which also had the strongest emphasis in story and linearity before Other M, but he handled it so well there.

Chances are if Fusion was on stonger hardware, it'd be just as shit with the writing and voice acting.

The base gameplay for Other M could've been the foundation for something incredible. Too bad it was marred to forced controller gimmicks, terrible design decisions and a plethora of other issues for the whole game.

So Other M was Sonic Lost World before Sonic Lost World?

• Thumbs Up 1

Moving away from the Other M discussion for a moment, I feel a need to report something that genuinely impressed me.

Yesterday I went to my local shopping centre and... pinch me, I think I must have been dreaming... there was advertising for Super Mario 3D World everywhere. Huge banners for the game hanging up all throughout the building, video adverts on loads of the screens as you walk past... it was, for once, very hard to avoid a piece of Nintendo marketing.

What made it even more impressive for me was that it completely overshadowed any Xbox One marketing, which had literally been released the day before. Super Mario 3D World isn't out for another 5 days here. They're getting serious early!

Keep it up, Ninty. There's hope for Wii U yet!

• Thumbs Up 7