Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Moving away from the Other M discussion for a moment, I feel a need to report something that genuinely impressed me.

Yesterday I went to my local shopping centre and... pinch me, I think I must have been dreaming... there was advertising for Super Mario 3D World everywhere. Huge banners for the game hanging up all throughout the building, video adverts on loads of the screens as you walk past... it was, for once, very hard to avoid a piece of Nintendo marketing.

What made it even more impressive for me was that it completely overshadowed any Xbox One marketing, which had literally been released the day before. Super Mario 3D World isn't out for another 5 days here. They're getting serious early!

Keep it up, Ninty. There's hope for Wii U yet!

Fixed.

Wish I'd been in my local shopping centre today now to see if the same is happening there. The only game marketing I saw around town today was a big billboard advertising Forza Motorsport 5 for Xbox One. 

I have seen a great increase in WiiU and WiiU game marketing lately, which is nice to see. Yes, I still see those Xbone commercials about recording things, but I see more WiiU stuff now these days than anything else. I've even started seeing the Sonic commercials again plus the Mario ones like before. It's really good to see that after so many complain about the advertising.

A problem with most of the advertisement is that they aren't really showing what the Wii u can do its just people playing briefly

The Wii U is a lot harder to explain than the original Wii was.

I think people playing the new Mario game will reach out to an audience. Whenever they do try to explain it, it just sounds like a controller add-on for the original system.

At this point...Nintendo should just re-brand the Wii U like how Sony re-branded the PS3 back in 2009; give the Wii U name a fresher look, have a re-design of the console and gamepad, drop the price down significantly to be very competeative with the PS4/X1, and have this re-brand happen with some huge games (next's years X, Smash Bros. and Mario Kart fit quite nicely with this smile.png).

At least Mario 3d World is out though, as that game looks to be what Galaxy was for the Wii; the game that screams "Fine, gotta get this system now to play this awesome game. Gotta have dem Mario's man biggrin.png!".

At this point...Nintendo should just re-brand the Wii U like how Sony re-branded the PS3 back in 2009; give the Wii U name a fresher look, have a re-design of the console and gamepad, drop the price down significantly to be very competeative with the PS4/X1, and have this re-brand happen with some huge games (next's years X, Smash Bros. and Mario Kart fit quite nicely with this smile.png).

At least Mario 3d World is out though, as that game looks to be what Galaxy was for the Wii; the game that screams "Fine, gotta get this system now to play this awesome game. Gotta have dem Mario's man biggrin.png!".

It's already $100 cheaper than the PS4

I agree that the name should be different, but they already dropped the price by £30.00 recently and I'd say its new price is pretty competitive against the other consoles. 

Xbox One: £429.99

PS4: £349.99

Wii U (Premium): £249.99 with a game officially bundled in.

Pretty good price if you ask me.

Just popping in to say this:

I swear if Mario 3D World doesn't sell tons and tons of Wii Us it will be a shame to the gaming universe because this game is top tier holy dongus.

The Wii U is a lot harder to explain than the original Wii was.

I think people playing the new Mario game will reach out to an audience. Whenever they do try to explain it, it just sounds like a controller add-on for the original system.

Maybe they should have just gone Sony's route then and simply called it Wii 2, instead of WiiU. A two is usually pretty self explanatory that it is a sequel. They could have even kept that little catch phrase they had with the original Wii but simply tweaked it a bit.

I remember those commercials at the beginning of "Wii would like to play."  Just change that to "Wii 2 would like to play." Since that 2 can be commented as too meaning also, which makes perfect sense to me. At least the system is selling somewhat, it just needs to be more than it has so far. It is on its way though I hope.

Still thinking they should've called it the Nintendo U (Ultra). Shows that they kick ass, take names, and are there for making games. Also would've been a cool throwback to when the N64 was titled the Ultra 64 in its early development.

• Thumbs Up 3

I would totally love it if they brought back the "Wii would like to play" slogan only it's "Wii would like to play...with U" as for Wii 2........just think about the name

The Wii brand no longer holds the weight it used to. They should have it be called something else and be done with it. Nintendo U sounds alright.

• Thumbs Up 1

Moving away from the Other M discussion for a moment, I feel a need to report something that genuinely impressed me.

Yesterday I went to my local shopping centre and... pinch me, I think I must have been dreaming... there was advertising for Super Mario 3D World everywhere. Huge banners for the game hanging up all throughout the building, video adverts on loads of the screens as you walk past... it was, for once, very hard to avoid a piece of Nintendo marketing.

What made it even more impressive for me was that it completely overshadowed any Xbox One marketing, which had literally been released the day before. Super Mario 3D World isn't out for another 5 days here. They're getting serious early!

Keep it up, Ninty. There's hope for Wii U yet!

250px-Roy_Earle.png

"I smell a payoff"

Joking aside, that's good to hear

The Wii brand no longer holds the weight it used to. They should have it be called something else and be done with it. Nintendo U sounds alright.

Nintendo Etch-A-Sketch

Still, at least they are doing more advertisement at this important time of the year to be doing it at. Just there needs to be a lot more info to announce. "HEY!!! THIS IS A DIFFERENT CONSOLE" is the big thing. Constantly still hearing stories of parents going, isn't this just a Wii with a fancy controller are rather sad to hear. You would think for one that the kids would tell their parents as well that this is something different, or if they are, parents just aren't listening or really aren't that bright when it comes to things like this.

I like to imagine Nintendo pulling a 2DS situation with the Wii U in the future, revealing a redesigned Wii U that appeals more to core gamers / third-party publishers, like having specs rivaling the PS4 and Xbone, more multimedia features, and a internal hard drive for storage among other things. I'd like to think it would be called "Wii U Deux" or something.

No company, let alone Nintendo, would do that for a console though.

I like to imagine Nintendo pulling a 2DS situation with the Wii U in the future, revealing a redesigned Wii U that appeals more to core gamers / third-party publishers, like having specs rivaling the PS4 and Xbone, more multimedia features, and a internal hard drive for storage among other things. I'd like to think it would be called "Wii U Deux" or something.

While we're on the topic of a hypothetical "upgraded" Wii U, I'd be kinda pissed off if they released a new, better console not one year after I bought the Wii U, instantly making mine obsolete. I imagine most others who own a Wii U would feel similarly. They're past the point of no return; to alienate an installed base of 3.91M would be a ridiculous folly, and that's why companies don't do this.

I suppose they could do a thing where you can exchange your Wii U for the new one, for free. But we all know that that's not going to happen.

While we're on the topic of a hypothetical "upgraded" Wii U, I'd be kinda pissed off if they released a new, better console not one year after I bought the Wii U, instantly making mine obsolete. I imagine most others who own a Wii U would feel similarly. They're past the point of no return; to alienate an installed base of 3.91M would be a ridiculous folly, and that's why companies don't do this.

Nintendo-3ds-price-drop.jpg

Not a change in console design, but the price cut a mere six months after release still alienated many previous 3DS owners all the same.

That would be stupid and a different situation than the 2DS. Giving it specs at the level of PS4 and X1 would make it a completely new console.

• Thumbs Up 7