Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

It certainly sounds like the media is starting to take a 180 on the things they originally said before. Now it sounds like they are slowly starting to say maybe you should get this console instead of these newer ones.

New York Times - The Wii U is the only console with a video game worth playing

BAM! All these positivity articles and 180 turns from the negative.

wow that is a complete 180 thats weird. i wonder what would of happened if rayman legends wasnt delayed or better yet the wii u had come out this year

That would be stupid and a different situation than the 2DS.

I believe that's why I said no company would ever do that. :V

Giving it specs at the level of PS4 and X1 would make it a completely new console.

I'm not too sure changing the specs would necessarily make it a different console, namely if it had the same features/functions of the original. But again no company has done this so I really can't say.

I'm not too sure changing the specs would necessarily make it a different console, namely if it had the same features/functions of the original. But again no company has done this so I really can't say.

Errr... yes it would. Changing the specs to something higher powered would be giving it functions the original lacks.

And if you wanted to make games that took advantage of the higher specs, they'd be unplayable on the old machine, so yeah once you'd have reached that point you might as well have made a new console anyway. It's not something that would work that well.

The only comparison I can think of is the N64 Expansion Pak- but that was a relatively minor change (ie: not a whole new system) and didn't really have a lot of games that supported it anyway.

Errr... yes it would. Changing the specs to something higher powered would be giving it functions the original lacks.

And if you wanted to make games that took advantage of the higher specs, they'd be unplayable on the old machine, so yeah once you'd have reached that point you might as well have made a new console anyway. It's not something that would work that well.

The only comparison I can think of is the N64 Expansion Pak- but that was a relatively minor change (ie: not a whole new system) and didn't really have a lot of games that supported it anyway.

Ah, OK then.

This is now more truer than ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIJmGj4g-s

Now that the Wii U is out, it has a stronger library right now. The PS4 and XBone right now have maybe 2-3 games that people are clamoring over and a BUNCH of hardware failures. Check the Xbox One topic if you want to see how that's been going down. 

I think NIntendo will do just fine in the long run. It won't be a massive hit like the Wii or anything, but as everyone else has been saying, in a year or two it'll probably reach something akin to "Gamecube status," and that's just fine with me; and hopefully all those issues the other Big Two are having will iron themselves out as the year passes. 

Kind of, yes. It also had the whole problem of having almost no good games out of the box aside from Super Mario Bros U.

Kind of, yes. It also had the whole problem of having almost no good games out of the box aside from Super Mario Bros U.

Exactly what hardware problems though?

its hardware was a failure since the specs were posted

All hardware production ends up with DOA units eventually. Quality control just prevent the numbers from reaching rates like 360 and Xbone. Wii U was/is no exception.

Exactly what hardware problems though?

Controller has a shit battery iirc.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's so obvious the Wii U has better games than both PS4 and XONE at the moment...the console launched last year and has a headstart. So yeah this Christmas, Wii U is the best.

However I know in the long run I'll be using the PS4 more than the Wii U. So that's why I'm getting my PS4 first early next year before I get a Wii U.

I just love Ratchet & Clank and Sackboy more than Mario.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Trips meant in the sense of utter malfunctions, like chewing up DVDs or displaying everything in green. Not sure "bad battery life" counts.

I think Trips meant in the sense of utter malfunctions, like chewing up DVDs or displaying everything in green. Not sure "bad battery life" counts.

Controller has a shit battery iirc.

Yeah things like that and bricking and the like.

Yes, I probably think that it will end up being a Gamecube as in that it got some good games but in terms of market place it is in 3rd place or 2nd place in Japan (even though the Gamecube actually had some pretty good 3rd party support). The thing regarding launches is that they usually get a couple of titles and wait for a good while before the good stuff starts, the Wii U and the Vita however are opposite as in that they got good launches with various titles and waiting months for even a new game. So for now the Wii U has a stronger library than the PS4 and the Xbone, especially since Driveclub and Watch Dogs were both delayed two games that people were looking forward to at launch. Even then starting next year, the PS4 and the Xbone will start to catch up not only releasing the delayed games but also some new games where they feel not as rushed and maybe a couple of surprises as well. This year the Wii U, the next might just be PS4/Xbone even then a couple of heavy hitters are getting released on the Wii U to keep things interesting (Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros.).

Did the Wii U have hardware failures at launch?

Well there were systems that got bricked due to a failing update (the 1 hour update) or accidentally switched off the console/GamePad while it was updating but apart from those problems, none that I recall. There might be one or two problems further down the line but for now it's safe. At least there's a very good positive regarding Nintendo's consoles, most of them have excellent build quality and harder for things to go wrong (like all electronics you do get dodgy things that don't work or don't work very well). Apart from the lock out chip/pin connectors on the NES as well as the Famicom recall, the early disc drives on the Wii having problems with dual layered discs and the original 3DS not being towards their high standard with the scratching screen problem as well as not being as well sturdy, I don't recall any other hardware problems with Nintendo's consoles. Wasn't there a Game Boy that survived the Gulf War or something and it still works?

Yeah, there was a game boy that IIRC even got into actual combat scenes with bullets and explosions and now stands on a museum, charred but working, proudly playing Tetris.

Wii had a failure rate of 3%

Considering how much it sold, that's a lot of units.

The gamboy that survived the gulf war sets off my bullshit alarms to code level red. Wish I had a way to prove it.

It's not that bullshitty, just musn't be extrapolating as meaning ALL gameboys are like that. One specific unit got lucky in circumstances, while many others stopped working as soon as they were dropped on the floor.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Gulf Boy (new nickname) was claimed to be blown up by a land mine.

If a land mine has enough PSI to blow tank treads apart, I doubt a hunk of plastic had a chance.

That's like the end of Korra season 2 levels of miracles.

Actually scratch that, it was a Game Boy in a tent that got bombed.

It had to be far from the blasts if that was the case. That's a hell of a lot of luck.