Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I know about the display, I'm questioning how it got that way :U

That looks drastically different from the damage a bombing would produce.

The bricking was the worst thing that could happen to launch Wii U's and it only happened if you turned off the system (or something caused a power outage) during a major update.

The simple fact is that the Wii-U has more of a game base then the PS4 or Xbone do, due to the fact that it's been out longer. PS4 and Xbone probably won't become truly worth it until next year, much like how the Wii-U is worth it now. 

I've never bought consoles right when they are released anyway, so often times I see buying them right away as just a rushing thing or a I MUST HAVE THE NEW THING. It usually makes no sense to do so financially for one. The WiiU is the better choice at the moment just due to the bigger library. I know that may not stay the same the whole time, but as long as the system is surviving and doing well enough to make a profit, then everything is going to be fine with it. Finding a WiiU will be easy this holiday season as well. The many parents that dont want to do the fighting thing would likely prefer getting this console over the brand new ones that people might fight over just because it is the new thing, nothing else.

Wow  that's actually a cool move. 

Good for Nintendo and for the people as well biggrin.png

Well that was very nice of them and likely cool to those that actually game on that flight. Free WiiU's for the kids, grandparents can give them to grand kids or people can sell them if they wish. All good for everyone involved and a good PR stunt. Those WiiU lounges should be nice little advertisements as well, especially in airports where people get delayed all the time. A good way to keep the kids occupied.

• Thumbs Up 1

The simple fact is that the Wii-U has more of a game base then the PS4 or Xbone do, due to the fact that it's been out longer.

Not for long. I'm pretty sure the XBone is on the verge of overtaking the Wii U in the UK.

And if Sony's predictions of 5 Million (which is looking likely) by years end and 8 Million by March 2014 come true, then the Wii U's year-long advantage will have been for naught, and will no longer be able to claim the largest "next-gen" userbase.

PS4 and Xbone probably won't become truly worth it until next year, much like how the Wii-U is worth it now.

This is true of all consoles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Quick VIrtual Console question:

I believe I read somewhere that the Wii Menu channel on the Wii U will have access to the Shop Channel, and logically therefore all WiiWare and VC games on that service; meanwhile the Wii U has a separate library of VC and eShop titles, is this correct? 

So, for example, if I wanted to buy Sonic 2 on Virtual Console, I would have to buy it and play it within the Wii Menu, and if I wanted to buy Earthbound, I would need to buy it on the eShop and play it from the Wii U menu. Essentially, 2 separate libraries.

Is that correct?

Super Mario 3D World is selling poorly in Japan.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/27/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-13-super-mario-3d-world-debut-poorly-in-japan

Just to add, Lightning Returns is doing better than 3D World but not by much...all Japan plays nowadays are from handheld devices anyway, hence the reason why Pokemon X & Y has exceeded 3 million.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/27/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-13-super-mario-3d-world-debut-poorly-in-japan

Just to add, Lightning Returns is doing better than 3D World but not by much...all Japan plays nowadays are from handheld devices anyway, hence the reason why Pokemon X & Y has exceeded 3 million.

And yet both are the two highest selling games of the week.

Most of their competition was games that have been out for a good while.

Yeah, maybe the word "poorly" isn't the best word IGN should've used. Considering the Wii U's install base, I'd say that 3D World actually did pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'll sell much more in NA and EU, the Wii-U has higher install base numbers there. Also, once Mario Kart and Smash Bros start pushing systems (more then this game anyway), then it'll also sell more. 

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=217867

Teku Studios discusses Candle's Wii U features

Off Play

1080p, 60fps

PC and Wii U "are virtually the same"

"We love Nintendo, we got devkits for free"

"Development was very easy"

Oh, remember how people made a big deal about them taking resources to port Direct X 11? Well, guess how long it took them?

"We only had to adapt a bunch of our DirectX shaders to WiiU's environment, but we had them up and running in a matteru of days."

Does that include digital sales?

Even if the other two consoles get up to WiiU console numbers quickly, they still wont have the same number of games for awhile.

I don't count digital games as part of the library anyway, especially if you are talking older games that aren't current generation specific. I'm sure the others will pass the WiiU eventually, just because several people will blindly buy the other two just because they think they are all big and bad by buying those consoles. I still don't see a reason to get those other two right now at all. Maybe I'll change my thinking later, but not right now.

Apparently SM3DW only boosted the Wii U's hardware sales by 6k.

They already have november sales numbers out to know that? I wouldn't think those would be out yet.

Even if the other two consoles get up to WiiU console numbers quickly, they still wont have the same number of games for awhile.

I don't count digital games as part of the library anyway, especially if you are talking older games that aren't current generation specific. I'm sure the others will pass the WiiU eventually, just because several people will blindly buy the other two just because they think they are all big and bad by buying those consoles. I still don't see a reason to get those other two right now at all. Maybe I'll change my thinking later, but not right now.

They already have november sales numbers out to know that? I wouldn't think those would be out yet.

I think he means in Japan

Airport Terminal: Flight 404 has taken off.

Family: We missed our flight! At least we got to play Super Mario though :D!

• Thumbs Up 1

Pikmin 3 is only $36 ($40 - FB Promo Code) + free shipping + no tax on Newegg.

Pretty good deal.