Tatsumaki

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

This is now more truer than ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIJmGj4g-s

Now that the Wii U is out, it has a stronger library right now. The PS4 and XBone right now have maybe 2-3 games that people are clamoring over and a BUNCH of hardware failures. Check the Xbox One topic if you want to see how that's been going down. 

I think NIntendo will do just fine in the long run. It won't be a massive hit like the Wii or anything, but as everyone else has been saying, in a year or two it'll probably reach something akin to "Gamecube status," and that's just fine with me; and hopefully all those issues the other Big Two are having will iron themselves out as the year passes. 

its hardware was a failure since the specs were posted

All hardware production ends up with DOA units eventually. Quality control just prevent the numbers from reaching rates like 360 and Xbone. Wii U was/is no exception.

Exactly what hardware problems though?

Controller has a shit battery iirc.

It's so obvious the Wii U has better games than both PS4 and XONE at the moment...the console launched last year and has a headstart. So yeah this Christmas, Wii U is the best.

However I know in the long run I'll be using the PS4 more than the Wii U. So that's why I'm getting my PS4 first early next year before I get a Wii U.

I just love Ratchet & Clank and Sackboy more than Mario.

I think Trips meant in the sense of utter malfunctions, like chewing up DVDs or displaying everything in green. Not sure "bad battery life" counts.

Controller has a shit battery iirc.

Yeah things like that and bricking and the like.

Yes, I probably think that it will end up being a Gamecube as in that it got some good games but in terms of market place it is in 3rd place or 2nd place in Japan (even though the Gamecube actually had some pretty good 3rd party support). The thing regarding launches is that they usually get a couple of titles and wait for a good while before the good stuff starts, the Wii U and the Vita however are opposite as in that they got good launches with various titles and waiting months for even a new game. So for now the Wii U has a stronger library than the PS4 and the Xbone, especially since Driveclub and Watch Dogs were both delayed two games that people were looking forward to at launch. Even then starting next year, the PS4 and the Xbone will start to catch up not only releasing the delayed games but also some new games where they feel not as rushed and maybe a couple of surprises as well. This year the Wii U, the next might just be PS4/Xbone even then a couple of heavy hitters are getting released on the Wii U to keep things interesting (Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros.).

Did the Wii U have hardware failures at launch?

Well there were systems that got bricked due to a failing update (the 1 hour update) or accidentally switched off the console/GamePad while it was updating but apart from those problems, none that I recall. There might be one or two problems further down the line but for now it's safe. At least there's a very good positive regarding Nintendo's consoles, most of them have excellent build quality and harder for things to go wrong (like all electronics you do get dodgy things that don't work or don't work very well). Apart from the lock out chip/pin connectors on the NES as well as the Famicom recall, the early disc drives on the Wii having problems with dual layered discs and the original 3DS not being towards their high standard with the scratching screen problem as well as not being as well sturdy, I don't recall any other hardware problems with Nintendo's consoles. Wasn't there a Game Boy that survived the Gulf War or something and it still works?

The simple fact is that the Wii-U has more of a game base then the PS4 or Xbone do, due to the fact that it's been out longer. PS4 and Xbone probably won't become truly worth it until next year, much like how the Wii-U is worth it now. 

I've never bought consoles right when they are released anyway, so often times I see buying them right away as just a rushing thing or a I MUST HAVE THE NEW THING. It usually makes no sense to do so financially for one. The WiiU is the better choice at the moment just due to the bigger library. I know that may not stay the same the whole time, but as long as the system is surviving and doing well enough to make a profit, then everything is going to be fine with it. Finding a WiiU will be easy this holiday season as well. The many parents that dont want to do the fighting thing would likely prefer getting this console over the brand new ones that people might fight over just because it is the new thing, nothing else.