Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Double post but relevent

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=477171

http://edition.cnn.c.../wii-u-demo-e3/

(CNN) -- Will Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U controller breathe new life into its aging Wii console?

Hard to say at this point, but the Wii U is a solid accessory that will bring a fresh element to Nintendo gaming.

I got my hands on the redesigned device -- which was first previewed a year ago -- after Nintendo's Electronic Entertainment Expo event in Los Angeles on Tuesday.twefc.png

In a nutshell, they think it's an accessory for the Wii.

Edited by Jetronic

1/2 of the fault goes to the idiot that wrote that article

Other 1/2 goes to Nintendo. WE WARNED YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN, BUT YOU DIDN'T LISTEN!

Oh boy. This is why I was hoping they'd change the name. And if folks think it's just a controller, they'll really be shocked when the price is announced.

I see four titles up there that look worth buying, so that's good. And plenty for the hardgore gamers, although a lot of them probably already have many of those games on a different console.

(No, that is not a typo.)

New iwata asks

The GamePad is the central element of the Wii U system, and it’s most noticeable aspect.

”Nintendo Land is to Wii U, what Wii Sports is to Wii”, says Satoru Iwata.

The games in Nintendo Land were “created” over a very long trial and error period, used to figure out the functionality of the Wii U. It was decided that all the demos of different gameplay types could become a full game - so they added an environment, a premise, and touches of famous Nintendo franchises to make it a full experience. Because of this, Nintendo Land represents the culmination of the Wii U’s demo functionality design.

The Wii U helps to keep multiple people in the same room enjoying each others’ company with the full game-streaming GamePad, since the TV can be used for something else.

With other console games, you had to sit in a solid position. Because of the GamePad streaming, you can sit more relaxed and freely.

The GamePad is not comparable to a handheld, because the games played on it are full top-tier HD titles with zero lag - something no current handheld can possibly process.

It’s easier to watch things on the internet in a living room environment. With the Wii U’s more advanced browser, the internet can be viewed in the same sort of situation as a TV show or movie would be enjoyed.

Miiverse is designed after an internet gaming message board, with the messages being placed at certain points in the game so people can discuss it with each other without fear of spoilers.

Talking about games online has effectively become part of the game (and the fun) itself - so Nintendo is embracing the concept of online gaming discussion and making it a core feature.

Message boards and forums were studied to design Miiverse

Having people’s reactions to the game through Miiverse is something that has to be felt in-game to be understood.

The Wii U is meant to cater to everyone, kids and adults alike. Therefore, it is more of a family system be bringing in hardcore titles - since members of the family play hardcore games.

They wanted something for core gamers to “sink their teeth into”, thus the instant message board functionality.

About what Jetronic posted. Looks like developers are half-assing it because, if the leaked specs are anything to go by, Wii U can do better. Specs could be fake, though.

Edit: Got some clarification on this. All the games shown, save for perhaps Nintendo Land, started development on other systems, even exclusives. For instance, Pikmin 3 really was a Wii game originally.

Edit 2: Yeah, quick porting jobs. Devs of Trine 2: DX confirmed the Wii U version will support enhanced graphics not possible on PS3 and 360.

http://www.neogaf.co...highlight=trine

Improved console graphics only available on the Wii U
Edited by Crow T. Robot

Man, I'm being a real Negative Nancy today, but...

Hey,

Hey guys,

What if,

Now listen to this guys,

What if,

Wii U Tablet shows Bit rendition of the level.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh wow, Ubisoft's a dick. An attendee asked a staffer there if the Wii U version of AC III will be taking advantage of the increased power of Wii U, they said they didn't feel like doing so. Though to be fair, they said it would take more effort than just a simple change. Guess we're gonna have to settle for half-assed ports.

Aww crap, that doesn't sound good. <=\ I don't want Nintendo's console to be lower in graphics and specs than the other two again!

Speaking of specs, still no sign of those. Doubt we'll see them anytime soon.

Hey,

Hey guys,

What if,

Now listen to this guys,

What if,

Wii U Tablet shows Bit rendition of the level.

That would have been really cool, but it seems like they've only got "Retro Challenges" playable on it. Sounds like bonus levels or something. :/

Nintendo didn't make Wii-U stand up, didn't want it to be confused with Wii!

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/06/nintendo-doesnt-want-wii-u-to-stand-up-as-could-be-confused-with-wii/

Shigeru Miyamoto has confessed to Kotaku that the reason Wii U sits horizontally is due to the fact that the design team didn’t want consumers to confuse Nintendo’s next generation console with its current Wii system. Miyamoto then went on to explain that Nintendo want people to focus on the console’s unique controller, rather than the actual system design.

“I think maybe it was because we didn’t want people to think it was a Wii.”

“It kind of goes back to our idea of the Wii U itself which is: ‘What is the role of the physical hardware?’ And in this particular case we felt that the physical hardware is something that’s becoming something that is less and less important from an identity perspective for a game machine.”

“So, for example, with even something like Kinect you can have your hardware put away and out of sight and you can wave at the TV and maybe the game will come on or something.”

“Similarly with Wii U, when we [considered the question] ‘What is the face of Wii U going to be?’, for us the face of Wii U really isn’t the console box itself. It’s the controller; it’s the Wii U GamePad. So just like a set top box is non-descript and tucked away, our feeling was that the Wii U hardware was something that could be tucked away and out of sight.”

“The Wii U GamePad is really the face of the system, whereas, with the Wii system, we had really designed it so that that system itself really stood out when you looked at it.”

Holy shit that's funny. Of all the things to confuse the Wii with Wii-U with!

And just like last year, Nintendo's shares have fallen after the E3 conference. IMO Not enough Nintendo Land

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/06/wii-u-eshop-available-at-launch/

Unlike the 3DS though, The Wii-U eshop will be available at launch.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/06/wii-u-screen-isnt-multitouch-due-to-cost/

The Wii-U Gamepad isn't multi-touch because of costs. Nintendo says gamers were okay with the DS screen.

Finally, lookie what we have here

white_wii_u_pro_controller.jpg?w=584

If they really didn't want to confuse consumers, they should have called the thing something else... Like The Nintendo Gamecube DS Pad Advance 64 or something.

Edited by Chili Dawg

...but doesn't the redesign for the Wii not stand? I honestly didn't think this was real because of how silly it sounded.

I wanted to believe it was trolling...but it isn't...

Wii U to cost 250$

http://www.gamesthir...riced-revealed/

Also rumored that the Hardware is from 2008-2009 spec wise.

Err, that article is from a year ago. I think it's safe to say it's incorrect, since Nintendo's explicitly stated that they're not revealing a price yet.

Wii U to cost 250$

http://www.gamesthir...riced-revealed/

Also rumored that the Hardware is from 2008-2009 spec wise.

That's from a year ago

And guys, Nintendo's posted the Wii-U specs already, it's on the last page for cying out loud, don't know why people are still doubting it

Nintendo-Wii-U-Specs.jpg

Err, that article is from a year ago. I think it's safe to say it's incorrect, since Nintendo's explicitly stated that they're not revealing a price yet.

*snip*

Nevermind...now excuse me as I go kill myself.

Edited by Voyant

Messages posted to Miiverse, Nintendo's suite of Wii U social functions, could face a delay of around 30 minutes to appear.

This is because the social networking service will be actively moderated by Nintendo-employed "human resources" personnel.

Each message posted to Miiverse, displayed on the Wii U desktop and in specific areas in Wii U software, will need to be read and verified before it becomes visible.

Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata said he thought a delay of half an hour when posting messages was fine.

"The attraction of a social network is the immediacy of the feedback," Iwata explained to LA Times. But Nintendo needed to balance that with the need to make the service child-friendly, he continued.

"Personally, I think 30 minutes [delay] should be acceptable."

But even this estimate is subject to change, depending on how many people are trying to use the service and the number of Nintendo staff available to read through messages.

Each post will be automatically screened by a computer first, presumably to remove any obvious swears. Users will also be able to flag up any comments/penis pictures that get through the other filters.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-07-nintendo-human-resources-must-approve-your-miiverse-posts

A good idea or a bad one? On the one hand, nobody wants to see a load of spam coming from PROHAXX-NINTY4LYFE96, or pictures of cocks everywhere you look, but on the other hand how can Iwata know the attraction of social networking and then do something that completely destroys it? They don't quite get the whole 'online' thing still, do they? And if it takes off, can you imagine how many people they'd have to employ just to sit and read all those messages all day every day?

Wii U launching in white; black ... coming soon?

As I was walking around the Nintendo booth, I noticed that some Wii U consoles were white and others were black. We had been introduced to the white one already, so I was curious to know if the black console was official ... or just on display for the press conference.

According to a Nintendo representative, the Wii U will launch in white, with black coming ... someday.

There is still a chance it could launch in white and black, but it sounds like black is coming a little later. Expected, but exciting news, as the black Wii U looks sexy!

I don't understand this. Why have the black Wii U so prevalent now, if you have no plans to release for launch? If it was last year, I'd understand, but by now I'd expect them to have thought this through more. The 3DS had more colors being shown, too, but the the extent the black Wii U is being shown off, even on their site you can chose between the two colors, it makes no sense at all.