Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

In that case I was misinformed and probably sounded daft. While I think Nintendo aren't likely to be extremely popular in that area and two console fails in a row would suck, I wouldn't be against an earnest attempt at it, especially if they regain third party confidence as a side-effect.

In that case I was misinformed and probably sounded daft. While I think Nintendo aren't likely to be extremely popular in that area and two console fails in a row would suck, I wouldn't be against an earnest attempt at it, especially if they regain third party confidence as a side-effect.

I don't blame you for assuming, you would have had a fair point just a year ago.

People (especially Nintendo apologists) are really underestimating how many healthy changes the industry is going through right now. It's looking exponentially better than last time.

The "innovation" gimmick stems from the marketing and delusionary fanboy arguments of the Wii generation. In truth there's absolutely no need of one.

Case in point: the SNES, aka the best system Nintendo has ever done. That one was just a more powerful NES and enjoyed fantastic commercial success and a vast library of quality first and third party games.

Less pandering to casuals with one shot fads and more cementing a solid foundation Nintendo pls.

The SNES also introduced the standard ABXY button layout and shoulder buttons, enabling more possibilities with actual gameplay.

I'm not asking for a gimmicky peripheral. I'm talking about coming up with new features that both third parties and consumers would easily embrace, not just blindly following the competition in terms of making hardware. The PS4 and Xbone aren't remotely interesting pieces of kit, and their lineups are barely any better - the real next-gen is coming from stuff like the Oculus Rift and the Steam Controller, and as the latter has proven, standard controllers can still evolve, and the exceptionally lame touch-pad on the Dualshock 4 doesn't count. The Dualshock/360 controller has become the standard and has stagnated as a result, and only Valve is daring enough to actually try and improve on it without being incompatible with what's come before, and even took the extra step of putting the controller in the hands of gamers to acquire feedback, which is fantastic.

If anything, I want Nintendo to take notes from Valve, not Sony or Microsoft. What Valve has been doing with its stuff is far more interesting than anything Sony or MS has been doing with gaming over the last few years.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Steam Box controller looks absolutely awful. Why would I want track pads over analogue sticks? The button placement is just as bad.

c1d0385c44_large_verge_medium_landscape.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Steam Box controller looks absolutely awful. Why would I want track pads over analogue sticks? The button placement is just as bad.

c1d0385c44_large_verge_medium_landscape.

That's the old one.

New-Steam-controller--360x240.jpg

I'm not asking for a gimmicky peripheral. I'm talking about coming up with new features that both third parties and consumers would easily embrace, not just blindly following the competition in terms of making hardware. The PS4 and Xbone aren't remotely interesting pieces of kit, and their lineups are barely any better - the real next-gen is coming from stuff like the Oculus Rift and the Steam Controller, and as the latter has proven, standard controllers can still evolve, and the exceptionally lame touch-pad on the Dualshock 4 doesn't count. The Dualshock/360 controller has become the standard and has stagnated as a result, and only Valve is daring enough to actually try and improve on it without being incompatible with what's come before, and even took the extra step of putting the controller in the hands of gamers to acquire feedback, which is fantastic.

I was going to leave this post alone originally because I honestly can't take it seriously, but I felt obliged to draw attention to this glaring No True Scotsman fallacy anyway.

That's the old one.

New-Steam-controller--360x240.jpg

Oh, I didn't know that. The button placement looks better (Looks a bit close to the track pads.) I still hate the idea of track pads over real sticks, though.

That said, I don't care much for the touch pad on the DS4 either. I do like the XOne having rumble in the triggers, though. I think you could do cool stuff with like. Like making it hard to press when your character is nervous.

Actually, they're rearranging the button layout and putting in a 'd-pad' for backwards compatibility purposes, though the ABYX buttons weren't supposed to have their 'traditional' functions in the first place. Those are for the pads and the buttons on the back of the controller. I suspect they'll replace the middle touch screen with a whole bunch of function buttons. Now it's a more traditional layout, but you don't need to use the ABXY buttons for anything other than occasional functions.

As for the touchpads, we're not talking crappy touchpads like on a laptop - these are haptic feedback touchpads that provide similar analog functionality to sticks but enable a lot more precision, near-mouse levels, in fact - why settle for a control stick when you can have a mouse? The way the haptics work even enable them to emulate sets of buttons and D-Pads, some people who've tried it actually say the haptic feedback is actually pretty great. The outer edges of the trackpads can provide additional functionality as well. With the pads and with the back buttons, you've got all the functionality of a Dualshock/360 pad, and so much more, and that's with the current design, which hasn't filled in the space in the center yet.

That's what's so exciting about the controller, and why I really want to get my hands on one.

I was going to leave this post alone originally because I honestly can't take it seriously, but I felt obliged to draw attention to this glaring No True Scotsman fallacy anyway.

Oh, for God's sake, I wasn't being literal. I was mainly making a point that both technologies are leagues more interesting than anything the PS4 and the XBone hardware can offer, especially gameplay-wise in terms of technological advancements.

They're also substantially more expensive. Are you expecting fully realized virtual reality at $400 in 2014?

• Thumbs Up 1

Meanwhile in the midst of shitting on the Wii U and hoping for Nintendo to do things that could potentially just kill them quicker (and the topic spiraling out of control), I'm hype for whatever new games are coming from their teams for the U. 

Extend Dong Country: Tropical Expansion (so sorry not sorry) is looking actually a lot better than the first one, but I can't help but echo my need for new StarFox and Metroid. F-Zero sequel or Mother 3 localization would be good too, but those first two especially. Give me those four as well as the Smash, the Zelda and the yarn yoshis and you got me holding on all gen.

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh, for God's sake, I wasn't being literal. I was mainly making a point that both technologies are leagues more interesting than anything the PS4 and the XBone hardware can offer, especially gameplay-wise in terms of technological advancements.

There are probably better ways to formulate your point than by using logical fallacies. 

They definitely both have potential, but I'll believe a modicum of what you've said when I've used them myself and have seen them actually being used meaningfully.

Meanwhile in the midst of shitting on the Wii U and hoping for Nintendo to do things that could potentially just kill them quicker (and the topic spiraling out of control), I'm hype for whatever new games are coming from their teams for the U. 

Extend Dong Country: Tropical Expansion (so sorry not sorry) is looking actually a lot better than the first one, but I can't help but echo my need for new StarFox and Metroid. F-Zero sequel or Mother 3 localization would be good too, but those first two especially. Give me those four as well as the Smash, the Zelda and the yarn yoshis and you got me holding on all gen.

I agree on this one, and on announced titles I am pretty darned excited to get Hyrule Warriors and X, but I also cant wait to see what they pull out of their sleeve, and I think the next ND might reveal one

Oh god, I keep forgetting about X and then remembering how it looks incredible.

I swear upon it that a super solid line of first party / exclusives will be this console's saving grace if it keeps them coming.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meanwhile in the midst of shitting on the Wii U and hoping for Nintendo to do things that could potentially just kill them quicker (and the topic spiraling out of control), I'm hype for whatever new games are coming from their teams for the U.  Extend Dong Country: Tropical Expansion (so sorry not sorry) is looking actually a lot better than the first one, but I can't help but echo my need for new StarFox and Metroid. F-Zero sequel or Mother 3 localization would be good too, but those first two especially. Give me those four as well as the Smash, the Zelda and the yarn yoshis and you got me holding on all gen.

Serious question. Do star fox, Metriod and F-zero sell consoles? Or sell well at all?

He makes a VERY good point about that for who ever said that's the next true next gen. It'll fail, just like 3D tv did. Anytime you have to put on extra stuff to enjoy something it never catches on. People are lazy by default after work. If it isn't going to be as simple as tv.... it's not going to work. On topic tho I wish the games didn't take so LONG to come out. Bayo2 should've been out by now imo. 

Oculus is something people have always wanted to flesh out, it'll probably keep seeing little projects and stuff that get more and more advanced, I don't think it's fair to compare it to 3D TV.

Serious question. Do star fox, Metriod and F-zero sell consoles? Or sell well at all?

Nope. and nope.

Not really for either of those. But they are very highly respected/loved franchises that have pretty decent-sized fanbases, and all games of them in tandem with other releases (like Mario, Zelda, DK etc) may sell well as a whole.

Here is a thought, what if Nintendo made mroe deals to get more exclusive stuff for their new E-shop VC? Like if they actualymade a deal with Sega to exclusively port and release a large number of titles that havent been released since the saturn days, and help with the development of a way to port or remake them using the original roms

Here is a thought, what if Nintendo made mroe deals to get more exclusive stuff for their new E-shop VC? Like if they actualymade a deal with Sega to exclusively port and release a large number of titles that havent been released since the saturn days, and help with the development of a way to port or remake them using the original roms

It's a thought, but unless they could pull from other 3rd parties who made games on said console then it'll be no different. Actually, I believe it'll be no different then it is now. 

Actualy, heres an interesting idea for a game that nintendo could pull off quickly, be a solid spin-off, and possibly be a draw:
A Pokemon Fighting game, 1 on 1 8-way movement arcade style
I mean just think about it, I mean we have a Legend of zelda dyansty warriors style spin-off, why not an arcade style pokemon one? you could have both convential modes, and certian modes where after you gain a certian amount of experience in battles the next opponent you can evolve before hand, but that having both advantadges and disadvantages. Its also a game they could start small with, and expand on, starting with say 10 pokemon each with 2-3 evolutions(dont know how entirely how this works I generaly dont play pokemon) And they could gradualy expand the roster with free DLC, and it could be a digital title as well, though a full physical release would garner more attention

They could also try and team up with Sega's Virtua fighter team if need be

Any thoughts on this idea?

Not really for either of those. But they are very highly respected/loved franchises that have pretty decent-sized fanbases, and all games of them in tandem with other releases (like Mario, Zelda, DK etc) may sell well as a whole.

Ok cause I see a lot of people wanting these games for years and knowing Nintendo if these games actually sold they would make more installments and these are the same people that say that Nintendo doesn't make anything outside of mario,Zelda and fire emblem(even though that is a huge lie) so I don't really know