Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

"The attraction of a social network is the immediacy of the feedback," Iwata explained to LA Times. But Nintendo needed to balance that with the need to make the service child-friendly, he continued.

"Personally, I think 30 minutes [delay] should be acceptable."

But even this estimate is subject to change, depending on how many people are trying to use the service and the number of Nintendo staff available to read through messages.

Each post will be automatically screened by a computer first, presumably to remove any obvious swears. Users will also be able to flag up any comments/penis pictures that get through the other filters.

Quoting with emphasis, seeing as most of you obviously didn't even read the fucking article. The human element is only even there to catch the stuff that an automated filter can't catch, or to single out people who try to circumvent it deliberately.

That said, considering the 90mil-odd userbase the Wii had, they'd better be pretty fucking confident as to how well the the automated bits can handle if they expect to be able to sift throught the remnants by hand. Eh, there's always user reporting if nothing else works.

I know some of the guys at Shop.to - they say that it's put in as a placeholder to save time later, they can't set it with a TBC price (who would pre-order that) but if they set it way high, people will never order from Shop.to for anything.

They also said it's a good marketing technique used by a few other stores. Because now blogs will link to them as a reference on a possible price.

I thought as much. Just wanted to post in case people cared or it was true. Nevertheless, I do think the price will be around this.

Nice thing about Amazon doing it is their price guarantee - if they guess too low, you win because you only pay the lowest price since you preordered, and if they guess too high, you still win because you get it for less than you had originally expected. I got $20 off a game one time - I think it was a typo rather than a poor guess, but they still only charged me that price.

This is why I always pre-order from Amazon, although I think I'm going to go to a midnight launch for the Wii U, so will order from somewhere like Gamestation or HMV.

I'll be watching it on Amazon, but am leaning toward trying to get a preorder from Gamestop, since there's now one 'only' an hour away. The Amazon Wii release was a fiasco, and it was by sheer luck (and to my utter disbelief) that I got a Wii from Walmart at release. The next Wii I saw available was in April. I don't really see the Wii U being that sort of madness at launch, but then, I'd figured if I didn't get a Wii in November I could certainly do so by January when there'd be plenty available. Silly me!

ETA: Currently Amazon has all the Wii U games listed at $59.99 - EXCEPT Nintendo's own games, including Nintendoland and NSMBU, which are $99.99!

Edited by Thrippa

http://mynintendonew...l-be-surprised/

The Swedish branch of retailer GAME is currently listing the Wii U GamePad for a fairly hefty £135. UK online retailer Shopto has already priced the Wii U console at £279. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime firmly believes that Wii U will “represent an ongoing great value” and that people will be “pleasantly surprised”

“We want to launch at a price that’s going to represent an ongoing great value. How do we launch at a value that we’re going to be able to sustain for a long time? I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised, if you will, about the way we’re managing the value equation.”

The executive noted that despite Nintendo’s E3 focus on the Wii U’s innovative features, the company expects to meet core demands – but that the console’s more unique facets will prove their chops further down the track.

“What I’ve heard the fan community say is, ‘I want my Mario, I want my Zelda and I want the best of third party’ and that’s what we’re looking to bring to consumers,” he said.

“So in the end, the consumer choice is going to be once I buy my Wii U that satisfies my Nintendo cravings, cravings for all these other great multiplatform franchises, then what is the role of a competitive platform? And to me that is the million dollar question.”

http://mynintendonew...20p-some-60fps/

Wii U Daily recently got the opportunity to speak to a Nintendo representative about Wii U on the E3 show floor. The representative told the site that the playable Wii U games at the show, including Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendo Land will run at 720p. The representative said that while Pikmin 3 will be 720p, the game will run at a super-smooth 60 frames per second.

Some rumors for the Wii-U

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38624826&postcount=74

Nintendo may hold a summer conference for Wii-U

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38613812&postcount=202

Nintendo being pig-headed about Launch Window Games

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38625501&postcount=90

Gearbox on why Colonial Marines wasn't at the show

GameXplain interviewed David Martinez, Rayman Legends’ engine architect, during E3. Rayman Legends will be a Wii U exclusive launch title and, according to Martinez, will launch in November. Watch the video above and skip to 5:50 to hear Martinez reveal the information regarding Wii U’s launch. Nintendo confirmed that Wii U will launch by the end of 2012.

Edited by Nintendoga

The Swedish branch of retailer GAME is currently listing the Wii U GamePad for a fairly hefty £135.

Before people start assuming things about regional taxes and monetary values; GAME are currently pricing the controller for 1499:-. This is basically the Swedish equivalent to $149. Since people have from time to time cited Swedish sources for estimating price points I feel I should just mention that the US equivalent is, more than often, just the same number but with one digit less.

Besides that, this is like every other site, just hard speculation required of the database. Webhallen and GAME both list the console for 4995:- and have been doing so since last year's reveal.

The Wii U version looks a bit nicer, with better weather effects and more things going on in the image. I hope Eurogamer does some more comparisons, like they did for the PS3 and 360, not that the differences will be terribly great to begin with.

Saw this on Neogaf:

Iwata posted on twitter that they've yet to anounce japanese 3rd party games. There will most assuredly reveal the japanese 3rd party launch lineup games at the e3 event next week in japan. Wasn't dqx basically confirmed as a launch title in japan.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38662738&postcount=137

No idea what E3 event he's talking about..

We're going to need clarification on what the hell that event is before we can know whether or not to be excited.

ShopTo are taking pre-orders at £280 now.

Some of the games seem reasonably priced though: ShopTo

Edited by Patticus

It doesn't matter if they're reasonably priced though - they're just as much a guess as me going "They'll be £28.99"

From a Best Buy terminal

300-Dollars-at-Best-Buy.jpg

Make of that what you will...

Also, hey, a better look at the Classic Controller Pro!

Wii-U-Pro-Controller-at-E3-2012-Small.jpg

More pics here http://www.engadget....oller-hands-on/

the controller seems to be slightly wider and a bit shorter than the 360′s. The unit’s ergonomic shape and button layout proved very comfortable during our session, not least of which included its fairly sturdy feeling build quality and light weight.
Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, hey, a better look at the Classic Controller Pro!

Wii-U-Pro-Controller-at-E3-2012-Small.jpg

More pics here http://www.engadget....oller-hands-on/

Still not entirely convinced that it will be comfortable for me, but it's one of those things where you have to try it to really get a good idea on it.

You like a little bit of meat between your hands ;)

But people seem to be taking the controller out of context.

The controller isn't designed for new, Wii U games. Sure, some will likely use it (If Smash Bros. doesn't I'll be upset) but it's mainly for backwards compatibility. It's a Gamecube controller replacement.

The reason the buttons are where they are is because they are then adjacent to the D-Pad, as the Snes, Nes, Mega Drive, etc. all have on their controllers.

It's a fantastic arrangement, but nobody knows it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo said it's for multiplatform games that don't want to use the screen. Also, it'll be used for multiplayer, as you can only use two uPads. The button placement is probably to keep things between the two consistent and what Dazz said.

Aren't light controllers a good thing?

No. Not at all.

Edited by MarcelloF

No. Not at all.

What controllers are too light for you then? Like, wireless 360 controllers are always heavier than wired ones because of the batteries. They're both light weight though.

Wireless ones were fine. I liked the Nintendo 64+Rumble/Transfer Pak weight.

From what I hear the Wii Classic Controllers were really light, so that's what worries me.