Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Xbox One and Wii U are far apart on the spectrum of graphics. There's no way it would be able to run at a similar resolution, framerate, and graphical level. While it's true that the Wii U's power isn't really maxed out yet, it will never reach power of a far more powerful machine.

It's like a job being done by two groups. One is made up of 5 people and the other is 10 people. The group of 5 may become faster at doing their job after a while, but they can never reach the speeds of the group of 10 people.

• Thumbs Up 4

Xbox One and Wii U are far apart on the spectrum of graphics. There's no way it would be able to run at a similar resolution, framerate, and graphical level. While it's true that the Wii U's power isn't really maxed out yet, it will never reach power of a far more powerful machine.

It's like a job being done by two groups. One is made up of 5 people and the other is 10 people. The group of 5 may become faster at doing their job after a while, but they can never reach the speeds of the group of 10 people.

Exactly. This is absolutely correct, yes. smile.png

I kind of feel sorry for developers when some 3rd party companies are attacked by Wii U owners because certain games aren't coming to it. I don't mean all 3rd party companies, but some like Rocksteady have received a lot of uncalled for bashing because Arkham Knight isn't coming to Wii U. It couldn't come to Wii U in it's current state because it's a game built for more powerful hardware, they would have to spend a lot of time and money watering things down for Wii U would would just be pointless as the inferior version wouldn't sell. It just wouldn't be a financially wise decision.

As for games that CAN run on Wii U, it's all a matter of the audience. I highly doubt that GTA V and Tomb Raider would have sold well on Wii U, so I can't blame Rockstar and Squeenix for that. You can hardly call companies evil or stupid when they don't want to end up making losses in the end. Look at SEGA as well; Aliens Isolation isn't coming to Wii U, but the next two Sonic games are, the first of the two being exclusive to that system (that SKU anyway), and it's got a massive $20m budget. It's down to the audience, not how high up on a pedestal developers are.

On another note, I'm excited for Mario Kart 8. Originally had no intention of getting it, now I want it Day 1.

I honestly don't know why people keep asking for dumbed down ports. I'd rather have an exclusive title that takes advantage of Wii U features.

The best titles on Wii, DS, and 3DS were often titles completely separate from large franchises and were brand new small IPs.

• Thumbs Up 8

I honestly don't know why people keep asking for dumbed down ports. I'd rather have an exclusive title that takes advantage of Wii U features.

The best titles on Wii, DS, and 3DS were often titles completely separate from large franchises and were brand new small IPs.

Yeah, a game that's made with the actual system in mind is always better than just having a port or if said port is actually an improved version on the system (case in point, tales of graces (wii) to tales of graces f (ps3) or ninja gaiden 3 (ps3) to NG3:RE (wii u)) so wii u doesn't really need ports but instead some games that are either built for the system or just made with the systems advantages in mind.

Didn't Platinum Games get pissed off with people for port begging? Yeah, I don't blame them. If Bayonetta 2 was designed with the Wii U in mind, by god let it stay on Wii U. The damn thing needs some exclusive games at least.

Dunno if I'm late to the party, but I'd just like to say that arguing the WiiU's case in graphics from the standpoint of it having some unoptimized potential yet to be tapped into is like being that kid who retorts to a schoolyard bully with "just wait until I'm older than you!". You guys do realize that argument works both ways, right? Pushing the absolute shit out of the hardware isn't going to mean much when your competitors can do the same thing, and would still be on top of you even if they didn't.

While we're on the subject of games, whatever happened to the massive amounts of promised WiiU support from Indies? I mean granted, they're mostly new to games and probably underestimated the amount of time and effort that goes into one, but even I expected more than Unepic and... uh, Giana Sisters?

To be honest, I am totally cool about the Wii U missing out on certain multiplatform games. I was cool with that during past Nintendo systems. The Wii U doesn't need to get every multiplatform game compared to the Xbox One and PS4; however, what I do think it needs is more exclusive 3rd Party offerings, whether it's published independently (ie. Sonic Boom) or funded as 2nd Party partnerships by Nintendo (ie. TW101 or Bayonetta 2).

We need more Zombi Us, more Bayonettas, more Wonderful 101s, more Sonic Booms, more Lego Cities... exclusive games that take better advantage of what the Wii U is capable to do from both technical and gameplay points. IMO that is what builds a sense of uniqueness to the system. And if I want to pick what's not on the Wii U... well, that's why I have got a PC or why I'll grab either an Xbox One or PS4, so I can play those games.

As for the everlasting topic of the Wii U hardware... I posted about this a long time ago and I'll stand by my opinion that the console may not be equal to the Xbox One or PS4 in terms of specs, but its hardware is capable enough to output pretty good looking games as long as developers know how to work around with it and put effort and care into their work; Wii U may not be x86, but PowerPC certainly ain't alien architecture either.

• Thumbs Up 5

While we're on the subject of games, whatever happened to the massive amounts of promised WiiU support from Indies? I mean granted, they're mostly new to games and probably underestimated the amount of time and effort that goes into one, but even I expected more than Unepic and... uh, Giana Sisters?

What, Abraham Lincoln football ain't good enough for you? :P

I dunno, indies are pretty hit and miss sometimes.

more Lego Cities

LEGO City Undercover is hands down one of the best games you can get for Wii U, and by far the best Traveler's Tales LEGO game (LEGO Island is still godly though). I would more than love a sequel, but the loading times need to be cut down.
  • Thumbs Up 1

The issue there is that third party exclusives are pretty much a thing of the past at this point. Even if they weren't, what reason would developers really have to choose Wii U?

LEGO City Undercover is a Nintendo exclusive sub-IP I think. It was was always developed in collaboration with Nintendo, with their funding, originally for Wii and DS (later shifted to their successors).

Btw, how many copies did LCU sell again? I remember hearing that it did quite well.

Setting aside the specifics involving optimization over time, the only reason Half Life 2 would run better on Wii U now, then, would be because the game was built for the 360 very early on. My point still stands that developers can't simply take 360 games and double the resolution and framerate without a second thought, which is what Jovah and PSI seemed to be suggesting. It just doesn't work, and you know that.

Not at all what I was suggesting. My stance is that the Wii U can run games on 8th gen par, albeit they may have to get something a graphics downgrade and not be able to host as much on the screen as the PS4 and PC could. But it wouldn't be guaranteed sluggish or downright looking ugly as many seem to suggest.

Anyway, how would you those examples? It might take a while based on what exactly you'd like for moi to procure.

Not at all what I was suggesting. My stance is that the Wii U can run games on 8th gen par, albeit they may have to get something a graphics downgrade and not be able to host as much on the screen as the PS4 and PC could. But it wouldn't be guaranteed sluggish or downright looking ugly as many seem to suggest.

It won't be able to run 8th gen exclusive games that use hardware the Wii U doesn't have. There is no ifs, ands, or buts about this - as Solkia said, there are things the Wii U factually can not do that the PS4 and Xbox One can. The easiest example I can think of is RAM. Both the PS4 and XB1 have roughly 5GB of RAM available to games (PS4 has 5.5, I'm not sure about Xbox), a number that is sure to rise as Sony and Microsoft optimize their operating systems. Wii U has a total 2GB, including the operating system. As such, any game that requires 4GB of RAM at any given time is literally impossible on the Wii U. Entire sections of games will have to be cut, and if the game regularly needs over 2GB (actually less than that because part of it has to go to the OS), then it just won't work.

Anyway, how would you those examples? It might take a while based on what exactly you'd like for moi to procure.

But you're saying devs are "becoming too addicted" to exaggerating, no? This clearly implies that this sort of thing is happening often, and I'd love to see just a few examples.

Doesn't help that the there's nasty third-party trend of crippling Wii U installments.

I know Wii U isn't the most powerful system this 8th gen, but I'm not buying the over-exaggerations or BS that companies are becoming a bit too addicted to spewing.

What over-exaggeration or BS are companies giving us exactly? Please clarify.

(if you don't have any actual examples then please just admit that this statement is baseless)

Wii U actually only has 1GB for games, but I think Nintendo are scaling back on the RAM used for the OS. Still, it will be less than 1.7GB.

The issue there is that third party exclusives are pretty much a thing of the past at this point. Even if they weren't, what reason would developers really have to choose Wii U?

Well, there will always be a couple of exclusive 3rd Party offerings here and there so it's not as extinct as we may think, but for what reason they could have chosen Wii U depends on the developer and/or publisher. They could always have its audience on the console if they strike with a good proposal, or have certain smaller projects side by side with others released on the Xbox One and PS4. The matter is finding a game that suits the Wii U and at the same time is sustainable for their development.

On the other hand, I believe Nintendo's 2nd Party collabs on developing and/or publishing an external game is probably their best way to secure an exclusive since your project is backed up by Nintendo's funding and marketing exposure. If we take what has been said on the Q3 FY2013/14 meeting held back in late January, I think Nintendo is gonna push this route of gathering partnerships a little bit further, which is always great.

LEGO City Undercover is a Nintendo exclusive sub-IP I think. It was was always developed in collaboration with Nintendo, with their funding, originally for Wii and DS (later shifted to their successors).

Btw, how many copies did LCU sell again? I remember hearing that it did quite well.

According to VGChartz, Lego City Undercover sold 710k on the Wii U and 980k on the 3DS. Couldn't find official numbers and had to go for the under-tracked VGChartz source, but it's easy to assume both games combined must already have passed the 1.75m line. So yeah, looks like the game had quite a moderate success. =)

I feel bad for saying this, but I haven't grabbed a copy of this game yet. =( Recently I played the demo on a Wii U booth at one of my local GAME stores and it's quite a fun game indeed. Hopefully by the time I have sorted my backlog I can pick up the game.

What's DKCTF like? Might put it on my backlog...

Heard really good things about it, but I'm afraid to say I didn't pick this game yet so I cannot say much. Cannot say I'm not excited to pick this game up though!

My current Wii U backlog is The Wind Waker HD and Rayman Legends; I have recently reached 100% completion on Super Mario 3D World and I'm tackling through Hero Mode on The Wind Waker HD, so hopefully I'll be done with these games way before Mario Kart 8 comes out and so I can pick up at least DKC Tropical Freeze.

We can all agree Mario Kart 8's release date seems quite far, but on the other hand it gives me some room to sort out my backlog. X3

What's DKCTF like? Might put it on my backlog...

It's one of the best games I've ever played. Seriously, it's in my Top 5 favorite games ever now. The controls are great, the level design rivals Mario's at its best, and the soundtrack is SS GOD-TIER. I haven't had so much fun with a game in a LOOONG time. I'd say it's even better than Super Mario 3D World, and I love that game. There's really no reason not to get the game unless you don't have enough money or you absolutely hate Donkey Kong Country for whatever reason.

I wasn't saying that Titanfall would run at 1080p 60 FPS on Wii U (it wouldn't). But the Xbone SHOULD do that is what I'm saying. 

Ah screw it. PC Master Race, yadda yadda yadda, grafix etc etc. I think I'm just gonna leave this thread unless some good news comes out. I will enjoy my Wii U for the unique games it gets and play the PS3 games I missed. And if any good multi-plat game comes to Steam, I'll buy it.

I could see Nintendo using the QoL thing the keep themselves above water while they ride the Wii U out honestly. I think everyone knows they can't trash this thing for another 2-3 years at the earliest.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't get how he reach to that conclusion. Iwata said himself that in past Nintendo explored different branches in order to keep the company healthy.

Basically what QoL means is that people inside the company are already preparing themselves for the future, so that the company can still be relevant in future markets.So the Wii U is the present and close Future, while QoL is a more distant future.

Besides he said they would try to fix the problems with console, they have identified the problems and are working on them right now. That really doesn't seem like the are killing the console...

Besides he said they would try to fix the problems with console, they have identified the problems and are working on them right now. That really doesn't seem like the are killing the console...

lol, what do you expect him to say? 

"Fuck. We messed up beyond repair. Nothing to do but let the system die while we get something else ready as fast as we can"? He's not actively trying to murder their stock value, you know.

It probably goes without saying that I agree with the article. I don't expect any major Wii U announcements in 2015 and I think they're desperately trying to sweep the failure under the rug without actually coming out and publicly announcing its discontinuation.

I could see Nintendo using the QoL thing the keep themselves above water while they ride the Wii U out honestly. I think everyone knows they can't trash this thing for another 2-3 years at the earliest.

Exactly.

I think (hope) they're smart enough to have learned from SEGA in that regard. While the Wii U continues to flounder they're going to need something to bring in some cash. Probably QoL sometime between now and March 2015, and the 3DS successor some time after.

I think it's too early to say they're trying to sweep it under the rug. They are putting a lot of stock into Mario Kart 8, after all.

Nintendo has always been stubborn, so I do believe Iwata was sincere when he was talking about fixing the system.