Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Considering there's the Mega Collection for the Gamecube and PS2, where there are ports of the two Sonic games from the Sega Saturn, would it be possible to port those from that collection to the VC?

they were both developed by travelers tales, so they assumbly had the development files

Considering there's the Mega Collection for the Gamecube and PS2, where there are ports of the two Sonic games from the Sega Saturn, would it be possible to port those from that collection to the VC?

They didn't use the Saturn versions for those games. They used the PC version of Sonic R and the Genesis version of 3D Blast.

Power wise, I don't think the Wii U is weak, as IT IS more powerful than the PS3/360 and as you have said many times, if more developers were willing to tap into that power, the Wii U can have some really beautiful games. That being said, it isn't as powerful as the PS4/X1, so while the Wii U can run things like CryEngine (Sonic Boom, the canceled port of Cryes 3) and elements of DirectX11, it cant run some of the games coming to the PS4/X1 like Batman Arkam Knight and the like...

I see your point, though whether or not the Wii U could handle Arkham Knight is a matter that has yet to be seen, reported on, confirmed, etc, and it might not ever be. Albeit, I'm not  sore at Rocksteady for several reasons:

1. Batman Arkham Knight might actually be a game that delivers the promised potential of PS4 and PC 8th gen power and goodness which such, has yet to occur/arrive.

2. I can actually see Rocksteady releasing a Wii U version much later someway somehow, they're quite adept.

3. So far so good, Rocksteady hasn't uttered BS reasons to exclude the Wii U.

4. They're much more consistent than the likes of Ubisoft and EA.

As for 3rd party exclusives jumping ship so to speak, it really is understandable why the whole situation with Rayman Legends happened sadly sad.png. The game wouldn't have given Ubi enough money back to see it as an good investment and even though the game reported sold best on Wii U, it still got a decent amount of sales from the PS3/360/Vita/PC/PS4/X1 versions. 

The bolded is basically a hypothetical situation that got turned into a bout of self-fulfilled prophecy.

Had the Wii U version actually released on time, and so many potential consumers hadn't been worn away, and those results actually reflected such, I might be inclined to agree. But nope, it turned into a fixed experiment caper.

Now you'd think seeing that there still was an audience for them on the Wii U, especially when they don't get the unfair table -scraps version, Ubisoft would actually get the message on such, but their later actions push that notion aside for more idiotic hijinks.

There are companies who have their well-earned and legitimate reasons of course, but Ubisoft certainly isn't one to talk, given their habit of pulling the stings.

There is a consistent track record for Nintendo fans just not giving a fuck about third parties. Let's not forget about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Arkham Knight can't run on Wii U as is. The fact that AK was built for the new systems' hardware is automatic proof of that. They would need to make a completely different version, and you may as well just call it another game in that case. Not to mention it wouldn't sell due to it bring inferior. If the Wii U has technical problems with both City and Origins, I can't see it running Arkham Knight at all.

There is a consistent track record for Nintendo fans just not giving a fuck about third parties. Let's not forget about that.

This is very true, and unfortunately 3rd parties get the blame. It's not their fault that Nintendo have put themselves on such a high pedestal, and why should they have to help Nintendo when Nintendo can't even be bothered to market the games that 3rd parties put on their systems?

True, but there are some big ones that they have expressed longing for. You have a point that Nintendo's really not the platform to go looking for when you want ALL the third party action, but some cases really do appeal to Nintendo.

To say nothing about that Kingdom Hearts 3 petition that actually got notable enough for coverage alongside others, would be rather pushing it anyway. Not to mention the surge of outcry at the mentioning of Arkham Knight not making it to the Wii U on  Nintendo sites.

I see your reasoning, but it wouldn't hurt to push for a middle ground handling of the situation.

Hmm.  Is that a consistent track record for Nintendo fans, or just for Wii U fans?  Furthermore, is it for third-party games, or just a certain kind of third-party game?  I will fully confess to a sense that a certain number of third-party games, including several discussed here, don't quite "fit" - don't really have any business being on a Nintendo system, and this particularly applies to multiplatform Wii U games.  Well, I guess I'm simply part of the problem.

We've had more middle ground scenarios when Nintendo's hardware actually does well. The DS line was rolling in all types of third party titles. The Wii had its fair share of charming titles made for the system too.

If the Wii U has technical problems with both City and Origins, I can't see it running Arkham Knight at all.

What console didn't feature technical problems with Origins!? Heck even the PC version acts unstable at times.

I know you have your reasons for being mad at Nintendo for many, an incompetent error on their part, but don't try and pin technical issues exclusively on Nintendo when it comes to Origins of all games, ignoring the fact that it wasn't even worked on by Rocksteady, let alone as a legit gauge for Wii U access.

And what's this about City anyway? Must of missed me during my playthrough of it.

If there were any Saturn games that ever get ported to the Wii U, it would be ones that already had ports/remakes and not the original versions. With Sega lost most of their source code of that era [perhaps the AM2 games might have been kept but it is a silm chance and Sonic Jam was apparently kept but even M2 couldn't understand it when they ported the spindash to 3DS Sonic 1], the only options are remake or emulation.

There were some Saturn games that were ported to the PC back in the day such as Virtua Fighter 1 & 2, Sega Rally, Sega Touring Car Championship, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, Panzer Dragoon, Daytona USA, Daytona USA CCE (as Daytona USA Deluxe with an extra track), Last Bronx, Sonic 3D (with different bonus stages), Sonic R (with extra options but a different final stage), Sega Worldwide Soccer (97?) and a couple of others. NiGHTS got remade on the PS2 via Sega of China that was the basis of the PS3/360/PC remake. Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun were remade by Treasure for the 360. Decathlete/Athlete Kings and Winter Heat were remade for the PS2, same thing for Dragon Force and Die Hard Arcade. Some of the more known Saturn games to remake such as Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers cost money to remake plus in terms of Panzer Dragoon Saga it is also a long game so it takes longer in development. Also most Saturn games (like many games of that era and earlier) were programmed via assembly and the amount of people who know assembly, able to understand it and port to another programming language aren't many with less as time goes on. There were some that were programmed via C though but with most of the games source code being gone it is hard to tell.

Emulating the Saturn is a hard task due to the complexity of the console and I think maybe only one Saturn game that was emulated for a re-release for the PSP (Princess Crown). While there are decent emulators on the PC [found SSF to be quite good], they are still not accurate enough to get the full experience but at least are in a better shape than some consoles (N64 is full of hacks as in some games refuse to work however someone is working on a more accurate emulator, emulating the Xbox is harder than it looks and only managed to get a couple of games working, PS3 has just started in terms of emulation and running commercial games).

Dreamcast games however were more preserved due to that many of them were ported elsewhere to either other consoles and the PC so they are more likely for a release. As for the Dreamcast games that stayed, there aren't as many but there are some big ones such as Shenmue 1 (2 was ported to the Xbox), Tech Romancer, Rival Schools 2, both Tokyo Highway Challenge games, Blue Stinger, Napple Tale, Confidental Mission, Super Magnetic Neo, Zombie Revenge, Sonic Shuffle and a few more.

I see your point, though whether or not the Wii U could handle Arkham Knight is a matter that has yet to be seen, reported on, confirmed, etc, and it might not ever be. Albeit, I'm not  sore at Rocksteady for several reasons:

1. Batman Arkham Knight might actually be a game that delivers the promised potential of PS4 and PC 8th gen power and goodness which such, has yet to occur/arrive.

2. I can actually see Rocksteady releasing a Wii U version much later someway somehow, they're quite adept.

3. So far so good, Rocksteady hasn't uttered BS reasons to exclude the Wii U.

4. They're much more consistent than the likes of Ubisoft and EA.

Rocksteady hasn't made a game on a Nintendo console (Batman: Arkham City was ported by WB Montreal) so they won't work on a Wii U plus they use the Unreal Engine that hasn't been ported very well to the console however Warner Bros. has supported the console decently even though they had to offer a refund due to no Batman: Arkham Origins DLC on the Wii U.

The best case scenario though would be for Warner Bros. to make a similar Batman game to Arkham Knight but as an exclusive to the Wii U. Instead of offering a cut down game going back towards the days of the PS3/360 against the Wii where the Wii version had a different developer and in most cases inferior to the HD consoles some games to the point of being two completely different games (e.g. Driver: San Francisco, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit), WB would make a game that doesn't have a perception of being the "worst version" and a game that will compliment both the Wii U and the other consoles. However it depends whether it will happen and personally I don't see it happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

Arkham Knight can't run on Wii U as is. The fact that AK was built for the new systems' hardware is automatic proof of that. 

Not really. It's really just automatic proof that it's beneficial to have a system with architecture, and build similar to that of a PC.

What console didn't feature technical problems with Origins!? Heck even the PC version acts unstable at times.

I know you have your reasons for being mad at Nintendo for many, an incompetent error on their part, but don't try and pin technical issues exclusively on Nintendo when it comes to Origins of all games, ignoring the fact that it wasn't even worked on by Rocksteady, let alone as a legit gauge for Wii U access.

And what's this about City anyway? Must of missed me during my playthrough of it.

Origins apparently had the most bugs and issues of all the versions. As for City, while it has slightly better visuals, there are framerate issues in contrast to the other versions.

Not really. It's really just automatic proof that it's beneficial to have a system with architecture, and build similar to that of a PC.

If it could run well on Wii U they might as well port it to the PS3 and 360 considering how close they are. That they skipped a cumulative audience that enormous is plenty proof that they're pushing the game further than those consoles can go.

Origins apparently had the most bugs and issues of all the versions. 

Uh-huh, "apparently". Kind of awkward to claim the Wii U got the worst of it when most sources ala google seem to pointing at the 360 for that title.

Xbox 360 game files were corrupted and unplayable, with crashing and freezing problems.

Warner admitted it has so far failed to solve a rare issue that is corrupting saves on the Xbox 360 version only, but is continuing to investigate.

"Players have reported losing their saved game to data corruption," Warner said. "Specifically, when you try to choose a story slot to continue, it says 'Corrupted' and if you select it, an error message appears which says, 'The save is corrupt. Please delete it.' We believe we know what is causing this and need a few more days to validate before pushing a patch through."

Then there's "Ongoing Crashing/Freezing Issues" on Xbox 360 only.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-01-warner-apologises-for-batman-arkham-origins-technical-problems

The third issue is "FreeFlow Focus mode not unlocking upon reaching Shadow Vigilante rank 3", which Warner is looking to rectify on all platforms. Then there are a number of bugs that are specific to the Xbox 360 version of the game, including save data corruption.

"Players have reported losing their saved game to data corruption," Warner acknowledged. "Specifically, when you try to choose a story slot to continue, it says 'Corrupted' and if you select it, an error message appears which says, 'The save is corrupt. Please delete it.' We believe we know what is causing this and need a few more days to validate before pushing a patch through."

Also specific to the Xbox 360 release are "Ongoing Crashing/Freezing Issues," also set to be patched. "Players have reported recurring crashing and freezing while playing the game," Warner continued. "We have been working hard to track down and resolve the problem as quickly as possible.  We believe we know what is causing these issues and need a few more days to validate before pushing this patch through. In the meantime, some players have managed to avoid the freezing by disconnecting their console from the Internet while playing."

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-16555-Batman--Arkham-Origins-Patch-Incoming--Warner-Apologises-For-Technical-Issues.html

I'll give Origins this, it's one of those times when the Wii U hasn't been marked as the watered down port that took the brunt of the blast.

If it could run well on Wii U they might as well port it to the PS3 and 360 considering how close they are. 

Or not, if they're shooting for 8th gen exclusiveness; they're not that close anyway. Still kinda bites seeing as how PS3 and Xbox 360 as well, seem to be getting unfair treatment and downgrades these days considering the beauties companies have actually procured for them when they're trying.

Seems rather back-handed and slandering for last-gen.

This is very true, and unfortunately 3rd parties get the blame. It's not their fault that Nintendo have put themselves on such a high pedestal, and why should they have to help Nintendo when Nintendo can't even be bothered to market the games that 3rd parties put on their systems? 

Ignoring the fact that said generalizing statement guessing at non-interest in 3rd-party is quite amiss, what universe do you hail from  think 3rd parties get all the blame?

Not that either side is blameless at all either.

*sigh* I don't know what you're trying to prove here. That the Wii U can handle AK in its current form? It simply can't, left, right and center. Wii U's CPU and RAM are extremely weak compared to its competitors.

Even if they manage to downgrade it, the Wii U version will be by far, the worst version and you can call it the "stay away" version. It will have poor graphics, low resolution and probably a choppy frame rate compared to its competitors. No one will buy the Wii U version, and WB will lose money. 

EDIT: Tapatalk being stupid. -.-

• Thumbs Up 3

There is absolutely zero sense in WB spending the money to get Arkham Knight on Wii U. It will be labelled the least superior version from the get go since it'll have to cut corners with draw distance, texture quality and much more on the visual side, as well as compensate for the much more limited hardware capabilities on Wii U and be wary of bugs and framerate issues by squeezing it onto a console that won't be able to handle it. Even if they managed to do that, from a business perspective doing all that would be a total waste of money and development time they can't be sure they'll earn back because of the Wii U's uncertain future. 

Just because the Wii U hasn't been "pushed to its limits", doesn't mean the game can achieve technically impossible feats. 

• Thumbs Up 1

*sigh* I don't know what you're trying to prove here. That the Wii U can handle AK in its current form? It simply can't, left, right and center. Wii U's CPU and RAM are extremely weak compared to its competitors.

Even if they manage to downgrade it, the Wii U version will be by far, the worst version and you can call it the "stay away" version. It will have poor graphics, low resolution and probably a choppy frame rate compared to its competitors. No one will buy the Wii U version, and WB will lose money. 

EDIT: Tapatalk being stupid. -.-

Um, ok, ignoring the rest of your post right there, THIS is BS. It wouldn't have "poor graphics" by any means of the word. Vastly inferior to the PS3 and 360 version? Well, even that's arguably, the graphics might be slightly downgraded. It would be the framerate and resolution that's the problem.

I don't think AK will be or should be ported to Wii U, I just hate this BS that states anything ported to the Wii U from higher end consoles will have "poor graphics." The graphics of 360/PS3 are not poor by any means, and the Wii U is largely superior to both, so the Wii U is far from having "poor graphics."

The Wii U would definitely have the worst  graphics of the batch, though, that's for certain, and that right there is a significant turn off for anyone possibly interested in a Wii U version, so yeah, a Wii U version would not happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Um, ok, ignoring the rest of your post right there, THIS is BS. It wouldn't have "poor graphics" by any means of the word. Vastly inferior to the PS3 and 360 version? Well, even that's arguably, the graphics might be slightly downgraded. It would be the framerate and resolution that's the problem.

I don't think AK will be or should be ported to Wii U, I just hate this BS that states anything ported to the Wii U from higher end consoles will have "poor graphics." The graphics of 360/PS3 are not poor by any means, and the Wii U is largely superior to both, so the Wii U is far from having "poor graphics."

The Wii U would definitely have the worst  graphics of the batch, though, that's for certain, and that right there is a significant turn off for anyone possibly interested in a Wii U version, so yeah, a Wii U version would not happen.

Basically my stance summed up.

Thank god someone gets it!

Ugh, my god. 

Are we seriously getting heated up over a hypothetical Arkham Knight Wii U edition? Something that's literally impossible without making a completely different game? Even if you put the graphics ASIDE? 

• Thumbs Up 5

Ugh, my god. 

Are we seriously getting heated up over a hypothetical Arkham Knight Wii U edition? Something that's literally impossible without making a completely different game? Even if you put the graphics ASIDE? 

I'm rather sick of that notion. And that's really all it is currently: a notion. The possibility of it being downright impossible with severe mitigating for the Wii U is as hypothetical as the Wii U getting Arkham Knight. Let's agree to disagree, move on to a new subject and just end this merry-go-round squabble..

Or as Zor would put it, "Another pointless conflict".

Are you for real? Even cross-gen multiplats look like ass on Wii U, PS3, and 360 relative to the PS4 and Xbox One. It's vastly inferior tech that delivers vastly inferior fidelity.

mgsv_ps3vps4.gif

That this is even an argument is just ridiculous beyond belief. They're not close. They'll never be close. The gap will only widen with time, as games become further optimized and are no longer shackled to nearly decade old technology.

Arkham Knight is a game that is built with the hardware of the Xbox One and PS4 in mind - deny it all you want, but that won't change the fact that there are things these consoles can do on a basic level that the Wii U can not.

I'm rather sick of that notion. And that's really all it is currently: a notion. The possibility of it being downright impossible with severe mitigating for the Wii U is as hypothetical as the Wii U getting Arkham Knight. Let's agree to disagree, move on to a new subject and just end this merry-go-round squabble..

Then I'm sorry you bought a Wii U. If you don't want to face the fact that the hardware in the console you bought is weak, then don't buy a console with weak hardware. It's really that simple. There's plenty of value in the console - the first party games, the controller, the online community, and so forth. However, it is not even remotely close to its competitors in hardware specifications. This is fact.

As I said before, there is very little that the Wii U can do that the PS3 and 360 are incapable of doing, as it's far closer to those power-wise than it is to the PS4 and Xbox One (please don't waste my time plugging your ears and denying this without actually listing specs). It is financially moronic to go to the trouble neutering the game for Wii U without going the extra quarter mile for those other two systems with a combined userbase of over 150 million. 

There's a reason the game isn't cross-gen.

• Thumbs Up 5

It seems neither of us are going to budge on this.

Anyway I'm afraid I gonna just have to disagree with you Discoid.

Wii U discussion's brimming with sunshine and rainbows as usual.

Not really worth most of the bickering anyways. The fact that it required such a megaton just for the Batmobile in Arkham Knight to exist anyways is a load of malarkey. Not that it can be done on Wii U, of course not; it's just a bunch of bullshit that they required that much RAM and space chugging just to make something exist like that. Way to use your resources.

That's pretty much gonna be the main reason Wii U won't get many ports. Visuals in games are gonna just keep getting more and more massive since the industry is hellbent on making as bloated in software architecture as possible as long as it means that they're sucking every bit of life out of the RAM and graphics cards, because they want it to be on top. And while you can argue the worth of the most miniscule things, that's in the end all it is: its a big 100 mile marathon to see who can up the ante, who can use the most power and look the best even if the changes are minimal at most. They get so caught up in the overblowing and insane production values they can't just turn around and make a Wii U version even if they wanted to. Not out of spite, but because they've coded, programmed, modeled and textured their ways into a corner.

Nintendo's always been the ones to take the littlest amount and buff it up to look good even with the limitations that they've made. The problem is that no-one wants to do the same and would rather just make it chug the highest powers so much that it's absolutely uncapable to look good on a lower-end console so no ports get made (and then spare employees of some of said companies that do this look at Nintendo with downward eyes for this practice). And while you technically can't blame them, you can't exactly respect them for that either.

(EDIT: Now I'm not saying improving your visuals per gen is a bad idea, because that's not what I am trying to say in the least. What I'm saying is that if teams really were the best at their job then and making technically great games then they should've been optimized better to begin with. Visuals are one thing, entire game features and the like just seems like another thing entirely.)

That said, Nintendo's got to up their stuff next gen. The controller isn't the problem (sorry Game Theory but you're full o' shit on that one), the power behind the console itself is. I don't like that companies feel like this is the way they should construct and create games, that's pure horse dump; but it's something that's been a thing for a long, long, long time now (even back in an era where there were a lot more games out I enjoyed) and Nintendo's gotta suit to that if they want the upper hand next go round.

• Thumbs Up 6