Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Not really worth most of the bickering anyways. The fact that it required such a megaton just for the Batmobile in Arkham Knight to exist anyways is a load of malarkey. Not that it can be done on Wii U, of course not; it's just a bunch of bullshit that they required that much RAM and space chugging just to make something exist like that. Way to use your resources.

For what it's worth, this likely isn't actually as stupid as it sounds. Tetsuya Nomura's said in interviews that they ran into a ton of trouble trying to get vehicles and quick travel working in FF XV's open world on PS3, but had a lot more freedom working on PS4. Depending on how detailed Arkham is and how fast the Batmobile moves, it really would require quite a bit more RAM and faster processing to load properly.

Just food for thought.

I don't agree at all with the rest of your post, but whatever.

ummm oh hey look K.Rool is in DKCTF

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/223909-fans-latch-onto-supposed-king-k-rool-reference-in-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-retro-denies-it

also Batman on the sega CD had a batmobile, and X is doing an open world with giant mechs, but I am not getting sucked into this arguement

also Batman on the sega CD had a batmobile, and X is doing an open world with giant mechs, but I am not getting sucked into this arguement

It's not quite that simple, haha. It lardepends on the geometry and graphical detail of the overworld. It'll be hard to really compare until we actually get footage, but X seems to be composed of a lot of vast but relatively empty valleys that you travel through at a pretty moderate pace. Blazing through a detailed and bustling city in the Batmobile is quite different technologically. happy.png

I do agree that a lot of games overblow their production values, I mean, look at Tomb Raider. One of the best selling games of last year? Still a failure. Bioshock Infinite? 5 Million copies? HA. Failure. Nice try. 

But let's not write all the developers that are actually taking advantage of the newfound horsepower and put them in the same group as those who completely fuck their budgets and dev time like Square Enix. At the same time, let's not put Nintendo on some kind of pedastal for lagging. Both methods have strengths and weaknesses. Nintendo wont loose out as much if their game doesn't make a huge splash, but all these huge, seamless games we're seeing now? Nintendo won't be able to do that.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's not quite that simple, haha. It lardepends on the geometry and graphical detail of the overworld. It'll be hard to really compare until we actually get footage, but X seems to be composed of a lot of vast but relatively empty valleys that you travel through at a pretty moderate pace. Blazing through a detailed and bustling city in the Batmobile is quite different technologically. happy.png

Both of which I can the WiiU doing to an extent. Granted you'll probably disagree, although I don't get why you think the Wii U is limited to last gen standards.

Ah well.

Both of which I can the WiiU doing to an extent. Granted you'll probably disagree, although I don't get why you think the Wii U is limited to last gen standards.

Ah well.

Please, show me the spec sheet that proves me wrong. Please.

Prove me wrong. I'm genuinely interested in seeing you do so.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, you can't just keep pointing out that you disagree without explaining why and then go "ah well". That's....kinda pointless.

• Thumbs Up 6

For what it's worth, this likely isn't actually as stupid as it sounds. Tetsuya Nomura's said in interviews that they ran into a ton of trouble trying to get vehicles and quick travel working in FF XV's open world on PS3, but had a lot more freedom working on PS4. Depending on how detailed Arkham is and how fast the Batmobile moves, it really would require quite a bit more RAM and faster processing to load properly.

Just food for thought.

Completely understandable in that regard, but at the same time it's the idea of how far down that visual fidelity goes. I'm not well-versed on the knowledge of this specific instance with AK and all, but there is a notable difference between "we couldn't make the city look good in motion" and "we couldn't make it with super large textures and ultra high resolution and these particle effects". 

I don't agree at all with the rest of your post, but whatever.

I wasn't expecting you to, even if I agree with you on some things. And that doesn't bother me since I don't completely agree with the opposing side of you, either. I was just plugging my quarter into the coin-op for a moment since it seemed like the machine was going nowhere. :P

My opinion is that Nintendo's gotta man up on space, on RAM, on graphical capabilities next time because they threw themselves under the rug this time around. I didn't mean to treat it like I was putting Nintendo on a pedestal for being behind (even if my wording seems to make it look like that, euuugh good job me). I wasn't speaking as much on what the end product was as much as the mentality when making games. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm rather sick of that notion. And that's really all it is currently: a notion. The possibility of it being downright impossible with severe mitigating for the Wii U is as hypothetical as the Wii U getting Arkham Knight. Let's agree to disagree, move on to a new subject and just end this merry-go-round squabble..

Getting sick of Arkham Knight Wii U talk, so I'll clear the bullshit right here. Feel free to "disagree" with this "notion".

"Batmobile is designed to be "the best car in any game ever", it takes up around 160mb of memory in game and will just about fit in an Xbox 360 (if that was the whole game). There are hundreds of thousands of polygons, as well as textures and shaders used on it" (X)

Wii U has 1024MB usable RAM. When you take into consideration that this is a single model of a massive game, the chance of this game running on a Wii U as is is zero

"But that's just the car! The rest of the game can't possibly-"  Yes, it fucking can and will.

"Rocksteady is emphasising the detail is more important than the scale of the world. They don't want to create the biggest open-world, they want to create the richest, densest and most vibrant" AKA This game is going to be an obnoxious VRAM hoarder.

This game cannot fucking run on a single gig without being stripped down to Sonic Unleashed PS2 levels of garbage

Now with Rocksteady's shitty number flooding aside, A console doesn't need to have 6GB of usable RAM, nor does it need 8 cores to run a beautiful game, so can we PLEASE just stop bringing Arkham Knight up as an argument against/for the Wii U?

• Thumbs Up 7

Which was the point I was trying to make, since I remember you actually bringing that up before. Should've waited for you to get here since you knew where to grab the specifics, but I decided to catch the discussion before it tumbled downward into something else. lol

But yeah that is what I was saying. You don't need that much to make a great looking game, but some companies (especially ones that have and will continue to treat games like summer blockbusters) can and will do it when they're given the tech, making it impossible to put on a lower-end console like the Wii U even if it could still look wonderful with that much less involved. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Disappointing. I would have loved Arkham Knight on my Wii U. Oh well, I guess I could try getting a PS4, since I'm looking forward to it, even if it's stupid to have the Batmobile take up that much space.

Um, ok, ignoring the rest of your post right there, THIS is BS. It wouldn't have "poor graphics" by any means of the word. Vastly inferior to the PS3 and 360 version? Well, even that's arguably, the graphics might be slightly downgraded. It would be the framerate and resolution that's the problem. I don't think AK will be or should be ported to Wii U, I just hate this BS that states anything ported to the Wii U from higher end consoles will have "poor graphics." The graphics of 360/PS3 are not poor by any means, and the Wii U is largely superior to both, so the Wii U is far from having "poor graphics." The Wii U would definitely have the worst graphics of the batch, though, that's for certain, and that right there is a significant turn off for anyone possibly interested in a Wii U version, so yeah, a Wii U version would not happen.
...why are you mentioning PS3 and 360? Because them two also can't handle AK properly. When I mean "competitors", I mean Wii U's competition which is PS4 and XONE. What I said isn't BS.

Which was the point I was trying to make, since I remember you actually bringing that up before. Should've waited for you to get here since you knew where to grab the specifics, but I decided to catch the discussion before it tumbled downward into something else. lol

But yeah that is what I was saying. You don't need that much to make a great looking game, but some companies (especially ones that have and will continue to treat games like summer blockbusters) can and will do it when they're given the tech, making it impossible to put on a lower-end console like the Wii U even if it could still look wonderful with that much less involved.

Well, if we're just going to say "devs could still be making great looking games in weaker hardware", then what's even the point of new consoles at all? Mario Galaxy was a pretty great looking game, after all, but that doesn't mean Nintendo should just stick to the Wii's level of fidelity forever.

Give the sustem's a bit of time to mature and we'll start to see games that truly are genuinely different from the generation before - it's how the console cycle always goes.

...why are you mentioning PS3 and 360? Because them two also can't handle AK properly. When I mean "competitors", I mean Wii U's competition which is PS4 and XONE.

What I said isn't BS.

Actually it still kind of is, but I think I'm done with this pointless conflict for now.

Actually it still kind of is, but I think I'm done with this pointless conflict for now.

Actually it isn't. Stop being ignorant...

Actually it isn't. Stop being ignorant...

Ignorance=/=Not settling for a hypothetical- induced mantra/paranoia. At this point, I'm just settling to disagree. Because I know how this things just going to go back and forth again.

Ignorance=/=Not settling for a hypothetical- induced mantra/paranoia. At this point, I'm just settling to disagree.

...and how many times exactly are you going to keep saying that when facts are shown right on your face? Where's your proof/evidence to support that the Wii U can handle AK that people here keep asking for?

Stop calling what I said was BS if you have nothing to provide on what I said was BS. Thank you.

Can we all agree to disagree here? It's pretty clear we have very different opinions of the console's chances in this generation, and it seems only time will tell us things for certain.

Just going to say the only way we can get proof is when the minimum requirements for the PC version are announced.

Can we all agree to disagree here? It's pretty clear we have very different opinions of the console's chances in this generation, and it seems only time will tell us things for certain.

If he still disagrees fine, I'm not going to boil. But don't say what I said was BS, then fall back to "let's just agree to disagree". Because I would want to know why.

If the Wii U got everything, there would be no incentive to owning the other systems. There are games built around the Wii U, and there are games built around the PS4 and Xbox One. Don't see how that's a problem.

But isnt that the whole point. Companies like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft want you to game with them and only them

Of course they do. It doesn't mean that it would be good for the market, though. The gaming industry's creativity will thrive on competition. It's normal, it's healthy, and it encourages their developers to create high quality first-party games in order to make themselves look better against their competitors.

If one company blatantly monopolized the industry, there's no telling what could become of it. I'd rather there be at least three major players coming out with amazing and original games.

and since microsoft isnt really doing so

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm that actually had quality of good reasoning. Well done Wil.

What's Splinter Cell blacklist on Wii U like? I don't have any first person shooters on Wii U, and it's only £19.99 on the eShop. Is there online multiplayer?