Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

And that's why they should take a page from 3D World next time. That looks like a good start, but not quite good enough. It's too flat and blocky to encapture that Kirby feel; and it's also way too empty. Kirby games benefit from organic terrain mixed with tons of star-blocks, and a mixture of long stretched paths for flowy platforming and puzzles (a la Dreamland 3 or Kirby 64) and cluttered areas for hordes of enemies (Super Star and Return to Dreamland). 

Also I can't quite express enough how much fun the RtD characters (plus Adeline) would be to control in 3D on the same screen. The SMB2 crew is a great set, but those 4/5 would be hectic in the best kind of way.

• Thumbs Up 3

actualy, they said they cancelled it because it got too big and boring, and that the concept wasnt working

...They cancelled a Kirby game for being boring? What?

He's just not like most platforming characters. I don't know a single good 3D platformer that lets you have the power of flight at all times without being boring and devoid of challenge. Flight is usually one of those things that is rewarded to the player and is one of the most effortless tasks in a game. In Spyro, you only get flight a limited amount of times, and each feels special. The same applies to Mario and Banjo Kazooie. But if you could just float over everything, you have a whole lot of nothing. Even if you limited Kirby's flight like Tail's you still have every platforming section being a non-issue, and most enemies still being a non issue. But if you took Kirby's flight away, then you lose an element of Kirby right there. He's not the most atheltic of characters, even in his own game. His special variety comes from the moves he absorbs, but absorbing platforming skills for a limited time shouldn't be a thing.

At least Kirby has a 2D ceiling and enemies down below that help disrupt that flow and keep you fastened to the ground, and the slow pace of everything makes up for his lack of athletics.

...They cancelled a Kirby game for being boring? What?

Just because you find them boring doesn't mean others do. smile.png

I guess I should clarify

I don't find Kirby boring, it's that difficulty has never really been Kirby's strong point.

I can't think of a single thing that a new way to experience the Kirby formula in true 3D would be "boring"

Sounds like PR garbage for "I can't do it" to me.

Game Theorist Matthew Patrick explained how both the Wii U and Virtual Boy both flopped because of the same reasons. 

The comparisons are so true it's kind of scary.

I hope the video later become false if Nintendo does something, and I'm pretty sure MatPat feels the same way too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, that was frighteningly true. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Nintendo are learning with the whole "quality of life" thing.

Wow, that was frighteningly true. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Nintendo are learning with the whole "quality of life" thing.

on the other hand, Nintendo has acknowledged they see the issues, and the fact is we proably wont see their full plan till at least E3, however the go kart thing, and their display at GDC does show that they are trying to get more out there

Also the problem with comparing ANYTHING to the Virtual Boy, is that it PHYSICALY HARMED 75% of USERS... the Wii-u does not

Just in case anyone was looking forward to it...

Mario vs Donkey Kong Wii U is NOT going to be released, it's just a tech demo

I don't believe them. Remember E3 2011? They said all the games that where on display where just tech demos then they where later turned into new super mario bros U, Nintendo land and game and Wario

Well, that's Sakurai's fault for being a wimp :U

Who does the MvsDK games anyways?

Its HAL's fault for being a wimp...

The 3D game they were working on was going through major development hell...that they scrapped the 3D game in general because it just wasn't working for them...and were scrapping every concept they made until they eventually gotten to the one that ended up being Return to Dreamland...the only one to work with the Multi-player they wanted.

Well, that's Sakurai's fault for being a wimp :U

Who does the MvsDK games anyways?

Nintendo Software Technology. An American branch of the company. Incidentally, I think Mario vs. DK is their only claim to fame.

Now that they mention it, it is kind of odd they haven't revealed a single thing main Zelda-wise yet, considering they revealed Smash Bros not only before any work had officially been done on it, bult also

without even telling Sakurai beforehand.

I do think they're kind of underselling it though, but eh, I guess whatever works for humour.

They've talked about what direction they'll be going in with it and what typical Zelda things they'll be rethinking. ALBW was a preview of that of sorts. I believe they also said the art style wouldn't deviate as extremely as before.

We'll see the game in about two and a half months.

Well, considering Wind Waker got humongous backlash at its first reveal after that tech demo from Space World showing a more realistic graphical style........

Though, they did it again with the E3 2012 tech demo, but it was literally ripped from Twilight Princess.

I really hope it looks like the E3 2011 demo. 

I know it's basically upgraded Twilight Princess but do you realize how GOOD updated Twilight Princess would look?

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I'd like a game with more color than Twilight Princess. Don't get me wrong, the level of detail is gorgeous, but I could use more than shades of green-brown, ifyouknowwhatI'msaying.

As much of a dorkishly "generic Zelda fan" thing to say as this sounds, I'd be hoping for something similar to Ocarina of Time's art style. Not even gonna lie; the 'old school fantasy anime' feel the style has + it's decent balance of realism and cartoony style would be amazing when paired with today's capabilities.

I'd love a return to Twilight Princess' style, it's my favorite one apart from Wind Waker's (which I've grown rather tired of). Don't like OoT or Skyward Sword's styles at all, personally.

I would dig an updated TP for the next game. But from there I hope we go into different styles. The WW style has been way too overused at this point, even if I like it. 

I actually wish we could go back to the style of the 80s games, or the early handheld games. 

I only appreciated Ocarina's style after playing 3D.

198742-header.jpg

Honestly I'd be up for something like this. Colorful enough, but not anywhere near the cartoony style that I've gotten tired of.

• Thumbs Up 6

So, I had a thought, you know how Nintendo said they would have a new major game using RFID tech at E3? Well what if its a new Custom Robo? I mean just think about it, its a series where you get a small robot, and then use it to fight other robots and collect parts. I mean, and nintendo would proably do it the smart way too, by making it a useful and cool bonus, and an easier way to get rarer robots(and some event exclusives), while still leaving the main collectiong and upgrading mechanic intact ingame, while adding a cool collectable bonus

No, it will be Super Mario Microtransaction World.

"Its-a me, Mario! Scan you're-a credit card-a here!"