Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Nintendo is a traditional company, and company presidents are the only ones who chose their successors. Even if Iwata goes he's giving reigns to someone who he knows will follow his way.

Either way, presidents in Nintendo don't get kicked out by some board like our American ones do; they resign on their own accord.

If Iwata resigns from his CEO position (which hopefully won't happen anytime soon) I wish his position would be taken by Sakurai, but I don't know if the guy wants to work with Nintendo anymore. Honestly, I can't think of anyone else who can replace Iwata-san. 8(

As long as the new CEO has a love for quality and games and not JUST money, then I don't really care.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo is a traditional company, and company presidents are the only ones who chose their successors. Even if Iwata goes he's giving reigns to someone who he knows will follow his way.

Either way, presidents in Nintendo don't get kicked out by some board like our American ones do; they resign on their own accord.

This may be a issue too, since there isn't anybody else that we think could be a candidate, and who knows who he's going to pick as his successor.

As long as the new CEO has a love for quality and games and not JUST money, then I don't really care.

Nah...Don't worry. Nintendo is probably the only company doing that, really. Since Iwata is going to choose who's the next CEO, then we are pretty sure Nintendo is going to be in big hands for a long time.

If we live in an age where Sony's CEO is getting no hate for all the downsizing he's doing (TVs now a spin-off, 5000 employees being fired)

I don't see why Sony investors would give the CEO any hate for finally putting the pieces in place to possibly dump a division they should have rid themselves of half a decade ago when the previous company leadership flushed away 8 billion dollars running it (plus however much they ultimately lost on the PS3 trying to force the TV division to profit). They'd probably rather see that (and the layoffs) than Sony going bankrupt, which was a very real threat just a couple years ago and continues to hang above the company.

Also:

by cutting his own paycheck

Most investors realize what a how empty of a gesture that is. In fact, since most CEO salaries tend to be based on performance (either through outright sums of money if you meet financial targets or payment in stock options that fluctuate with how well the company is doing under your tenure; or both), the possibility exists that Iwata was going to get nailed on that regardless and just headed it off.

I do have to say that I'm not quite sure the whole salary based on performance is a common thing anymore...considering Hirai did indeed raise his pay after everything went to shit, and it's common practice in the West for CEOs to raise their pay even if they lay off tons of employees, shutter departments, etc. Still, in a company like Nintendo I expect docking pay for poor leadership is common practice.

CEOs can't raise their pay anymore than they can just hire themselves into the position to begin with.

To be quite frank, we don't and can't know if a hypothetical successor will be the one to bring Nintendo back to relevance, but what we do know is that Iwata is very unlikely to be that person. For the past five years, he's made foolish decision after foolish decision, repeating the same empty apologies ad nauseum, making the same mistakes time and again, proved multiple times that he is completely out of touch with the entertainment industry, and by the end of this year will have cost Nintendo several billions of dollars.

Kutaragi and Matrick had successes too. When you're doing more harm than good, you get the boot.

This may be a issue too, since there isn't anybody else that we think could be a candidate, and who knows who he's going to pick as his successor.

Nah...Don't worry. Nintendo is probably the only company doing that, really. Since Iwata is going to choose who's the next CEO, then we are pretty sure Nintendo is going to be in big hands for a long time.

Was the irony in your sig intentional?

Ok, further updates on the VC GBA stuff!

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/37035/the-most-asked-questions-about-the-wii-u-gba-virtual-console

The Most Asked Questions About The Wii U GBA Virtual Console

by Daan Koopman - April 2, 2014, 4:33 PM PDT
Discuss in talkback!

Popular GBA games are now at our fingertips and you lot had questions about them.

1.jpg

You people seemed to have a lot of questions about the new GBA Virtual Console on Wii U and rightfully so! There have been questions about specifics in certain games, but I want to focus here on the broader scope. Do not worry however, as these questions will be answered as soon as I get new opportunities. If you think of something important that you want to ask, feel free to leave a comment here or sent me a tweet at @NintenDaan and I will make sure that it will be added to the article.

Which control methods can I use and what do you personally use the most?

You can use the Wii U GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller, or a Wii Remote which has a Classic Controller (Pro) attached to it. From a personal point of view, I really like the Wii U GamePad the best. It is easy to hold my hands around the thing, and in a weird way it becomes this (sort of) gigantic GBA. While Game Boy Advance games are made with the D-Pad in mind, I did also quite like using the sticks at moments. There were no weird controlling mishaps and it all still had quite a solid feel to it. You can choose whatever feels right to you.

I was wondering about graphical options when I am playing the game on a television. Could you help me out?

Sure thing! You can enable or disable screen smoothing, and there are two display options for you to choose from. Players can either go full screen or go for the original resolution.

The colors felt somewhat washed out on the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador games. How is that all here?

If you ever played WarioWare vividly, you will see the differences there. On the Nintendo 3DS version, you were instantly greeted by a somewhat greyish Nintendo logo. The entire thing felt somewhat dark on a Nintendo 3DS and in turn, I did not play it much on the the system. On Wii U though, everything is more vibrant and apparent. This is great news for the people who are looking for a solid experience with those classics. It feels like a step above the Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo has added some new lighting to these titles in order to come closer to the real deal, and I cannot help but be happy with it.

Do the games chug or anything in that regard? I would like to play them without too much irritation.

No, the games chug very little. There are one or two moments where I encountered a brief (like a couple frames) graphical glitch. Beyond that, I have not encountered any problems so far, and that can be considered a positive!

The local multiplayer for multiple systems is gone, which is sad, but I want to ask about your experiences with the games that only required one GBA system to be enjoyed. Did you try these?

Yes, I tried the special games available in WarioWare and the VS. mode in Advance Wars. With the larger real estate, these can be enjoyed better as you don't have to circle around a single GBA. For the VS. mode in Advance Wars, that is almost perfect as you play that up to four people and easily swap around a GamePad or Pro Controller.

Could you give me an indication of the file sizes? I want to plan my GBA Virtual Console raid accordingly.

I have something better for you: the actual facts!

Advance Wars - 62MB

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga - 63MB

Metroid Fusion - 57 MB

Kirby & The Amazing Mirror - 57MB

WarioWare, Inc: Minigame Mania - 55MB

F-Zero Maximum Velocity - 55MB

Golden Sun - 82MB

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 - 51MB

How do those scanned manuals work exactly on the Wii U?

By pressing a special question mark icon on the Wii U GamePad's touchscreen, you will be able to look through the original manual for the title in various languages. There is no need to press the HOME button and find one that way, because it will offer you everything that you need to know already. These scanned pages offer a couple of great things like the ability to fully zoom in or looking at all the pages in an overview. You can even keep the manual active on the touchscreen and keep it there while you are playing!

also, this may not be the perfect place, but as good as any, but does anybody have a reccomdation on a good N64 emulator to update to? I miss my N64 at home, and could stand to update from an ancient build of project64, (and if anyone has some n64 game reccomendations out of the standard and easy to find I'm open to it)

Wass the irony in your sig intentional?

Oh sorry about that. I already changed it, not because of the sig but because i'm going to put opinions about a beta I got in.

Anyway, back to topic:

Will the company be in bigger trouble if Satoru Iwata is forced to leave? Seeing that they have to find someone (Or in this case, Iwata has to find someone) who can fulfill the role 

To be quite frank, we don't and can't know if a hypothetical successor will be the one to bring Nintendo back to relevance, but what we do know is that Iwata is very unlikely to be that person. For the past five years, he's made foolish decision after foolish decision, repeating the same empty apologies ad nauseum, making the same mistakes time and again, proved multiple times that he is completely out of touch with the entertainment industry, and by the end of this year will have cost Nintendo several billions of dollars.

Kutaragi and Matrick had successes too. When you're doing more harm than good, you get the boot.

Was the irony in your sig intentional?

Have you forgotten that Iwata is the reason the DS and Wii became so huge? He fucked up with the 3DS but made it better and now it's a monster, so all he has to fix is the Wii U.

They can do no wrong apparently.

The heck did that ridiculous sentiment come from!?

Have you forgotten that Iwata is the reason the DS and Wii became so huge? He fucked up with the 3DS but made it better and now it's a monster, so all he has to fix is the Wii U.

The thing that saved the 3DS were games. Super Mario 3D Land in particular. And fixing the Wii U isn't that simple. The main part is that Nintendo needs to do better at advertising. They also need their eshop to be MUCH BIGGER, and taking indie developers in is a good start. They should be giving devs a better dev kit for Wii U, since that seemed to be the concern with some developers . And we also need a lot of Wii U exclusives. GOOD EXCLUSIVES. These may bring Nintendo up a bit.

If Iwata resigns from his CEO position (which hopefully won't happen anytime soon) I wish his position would be taken by Sakurai, but I don't know if the guy wants to work with Nintendo anymore. Honestly, I can't think of anyone else who can replace Iwata-san. 8(

There seems to be no one here. Shigeru Miyamoto? He's better as a game developer (and I sware to god I hope it stays that way for at least 2 decades more). Yeah, I really can't think of anything else. There really won't be anything but trouble for Nintendo if Iwata leaves. He's the best suited now, and i'm pretty sure he's trying to do things to change nintendo's course.

Discoid; five years? Really? So he's been messing up since 2009? Last I checked, the company wasn't suffering any losses during 2009-2010. Sure; when the 3DS came out, it had a rough start, but that was remedied by the time the Wii U came out.

The Wii U has been the only console, aside from the GameCube that has been deemed a failure under Iwata's belt. (And even then; the GameCube was born during Yamauichi's time). Yes; he isn't doing anything worthwhile for the Wii U right now; but don't act like his past accomplishments don't exist.

I thought Wii's momentum slowed down in 2008?

Slowed down doesn't mean in the gutter. It slowed down software wise sure, but that doesn't still doesn't warrant comparison to the disaster going on right now.

They can do no wrong apparently.

Okay, why did my mobile just double post like that?

Ah well, guess I can just fix this up with my laptop.

Edited by Jovahexeon la Jovahexeon

Okay, why did my mobile just double post like that?

Ah well, guess I can just fix this up with my laptop.

There's been this stupid fucking mindset that none of the shit happening to Nintendo is their fault.

Most people have already come to realize that they are mostly at fault for their recent shortcomings, but there's still some people who put the blame on other companies among other white knightery. It's annoying.

• Thumbs Up 7

There's been this stupid fucking mindset that none of the shit happening to Nintendo is their fault.

Most people have already come to realize that they are mostly at fault for their recent shortcomings, but there's still some people who put the blame on other companies among other white knightery. It's annoying.

Wow, that's sounds as stupid as the masses who say Microsoft can do no wrong.

Or the ones who shout "PC Master Race!'

Or the miniscule faction that claims that Ouya will win 8th gen.

And the PS3 shills that claimed that that god-forsaken system could no wrong, especially when it just starting.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can see where the point of the article is coming from: investors at Nintendo aren’t happy with how Iwata is currently doing business since they believe the company hasn’t found new sources of revenue. Therefore, venturing into (what they believe are) short-term profitable businesses is going to be a constant petition to Iwata, with smartphone software being their biggest request obviously. Investors won’t stop until they see Nintendo venturing themselves into smartphone territory because they believe a quick cash is the best for their pockets regardless of how volatile the market will be for the company’s long-term profitability, which is what Nintendo always pursuit in the first place.

Here’s the thing though: at the end of the day, investors won’t mean much if not anything to Nintendo regardless of who is in charge. Iwata will continue to ignore their pleas, and whoever will take his place most likely will since he will make sure whoever succeeds him is committed to stick to the company’s mantra, much like what Yamauchi did with Iwata. As for now, it seems Iwata wants to bring the business back to solid ground in the mid to long-term: they recently completed their new development centre and currently are hiring new people across their development teams, they are prepping up their future QoL business and shaping up their marketing plan to communicate with users via smart devices, and he’s committed to bring the Wii U into profitable terms at any means necessary. Also, their recent share buyback plan states they are confident enough to ride their business without having to worry too much about pesky investors asking ‘em to, say, shove Mario into smartphones. Said in other words to investors, this is how we roll: get ‘n or get out.

The other point the article says is how June will be a crucial month for Iwata, which seems for many people like a form to manifest that time is ticking for him. While Iwata has to seriously put things straight up with the Wii U (being the E3 an important event to look forward), I believe it’s not the time for him to step down yet. Also, as Don Corleone pointed out, there will be a good share of people within the company who will reappoint him for at least another fiscal year or two, just enough to see how the Wii U has performed well into its lifespan, how the QoL platform will start and even I could possibly say what their next handheld will be like. So my take is let’s wait and see what happens while we play and enjoy their games. Plain and simple.

Lastly, most will say Iwata has to step down right away just based solely on the Wii U’s current struggles while disregarding his past track record, which I think it’s ludicrous. But even though such time ever comes, who will replace him? That is the question too. Sure, Iwata is not perfect by any means, but I cannot think of anybody as good or better enough to succeed him as of right now. No matter who may disagree, Iwata has to keep rolling the company until they know for certain who will be appointed as their next Global CEO. So again, best is to wait and see what happens.

So i've been gone for a bit but from my understanding after reading the last two pages, even if Iwata steps down he's most likely going to pick somebody who can do his job better? Honestly this sounds kind of like a win/win to me.

Did you not know that he's not the only one to have had successes in the past?

Ken Kutaragi is the man responsible for Playstation. Not just the PS2, not just the PS1, but Playstation as a brand. Without Kutaragi, one of the biggest and most influential brands in the industry would not exist. Hell, one could argue that without the Playstation breaking sales records in the first place and making gaming mainstream for the first time, the entire landscape for games today would be absolutely nothing like it currently is. The PS2 (a machine that Kutaragi designed) wouldn't have been the best selling gaming machine of all time, and Microsoft may never have entered the market in the first place (the Xbox was a reaction to the PS2's success).

Like it or not, Kutaragi was a vastly more important figure in the industry than Iwata ever was, and even he got the boot when things got bad. Iwata has two successes and two failures (arguably one, if you call the 3DS a very modest success that still failed to meet expectations) under his belt. He's the one responsible for the first (and second and third) loss Nintendo's ever posted since their stocks went public in the 1980's. 

The 3DS did not meet business expectations, and never did. It is not a "monster". The DS was a sales monster. The Wii was a sales monster. The 3DS? Charting slightly higher than the PSP. Just because the Vita is a joke doesn't mean the 3DS is automatically awesome. 

Also, he deserves no credit for "fixing" the 3DS when it's his fault it needed fixing in the first place.

Discoid; five years? Really? So he's been messing up since 2009? Last I checked, the company wasn't suffering any losses during 2009-2010. Sure; when the 3DS came out, it had a rough start, but that was remedied by the time the Wii U came out.

The Wii U has been the only console, aside from the GameCube that has been deemed a failure under Iwata's belt. (And even then; the GameCube was born during Yamauichi's time). Yes; he isn't doing anything worthwhile for the Wii U right now; but don't act like his past accomplishments don't exist.

In 2009, profits began to decline. Investors wanted to know why, and Iwata promises that the 3DS will surely raise profits.

In 2010, profits continued to dwindle down as the Wii and DS lost steam, and the 3DS was still in development. Everyone is awaiting the 3DS with baited breath by the end of the year.

But in 2011 3DS sales were much worse than initially expected. Things didn't look good, and got worse when profits took an even bigger decline due to the 3DS price drop - both investors and fans were upset over the massive cut happening so soon. Iwata apologizes.

By the end of the year, the company reported it's first fiscal loss in over thirty years. Iwata promises that sales will improve and that the company will bring in a profit in 2012.

The company didn't bring in a profit in 2012. Iwata apologizes, and promises that sales will improve and that the company will bring in a profit in 2013.

The company didn't bring in a profit in 2013. Iwata apologizes.

Yes, he's been messing up since 2009.

I can see where the point of the article is coming from: investors at Nintendo aren’t happy with how Iwata is currently doing business since they believe the company hasn’t found new sources of revenue. Therefore, venturing into (what they believe are) short-term profitable businesses is going to be a constant petition to Iwata, with smartphone software being their biggest request obviously. Investors won’t stop until they see Nintendo venturing themselves into smartphone territory because they believe a quick cash is the best for their pockets regardless of how volatile the market will be for the company’s long-term profitability, which is what Nintendo always pursuit in the first place.

Here’s the thing though: at the end of the day, investors won’t mean much if not anything to Nintendo regardless of who is in charge. Iwata will continue to ignore their pleas, and whoever will take his place most likely will since he will make sure whoever succeeds him is committed to stick to the company’s mantra, much like what Yamauchi did with Iwata. As for now, it seems Iwata wants to bring the business back to solid ground in the mid to long-term: they recently completed their new development centre and currently are hiring new people across their development teams, they are prepping up their future QoL business and shaping up their marketing plan to communicate with users via smart devices, and he’s committed to bring the Wii U into profitable terms at any means necessary. Also, their recent share buyback plan states they are confident enough to ride their business without having to worry too much about pesky investors asking ‘em to, say, shove Mario into smartphones. Said in other words to investors, this is how we roll: get ‘n or get out.

The other point the article says is how June will be a crucial month for Iwata, which seems for many people like a form to manifest that time is ticking for him. While Iwata has to seriously put things straight up with the Wii U (being the E3 an important event to look forward), I believe it’s not the time for him to step down yet. Also, as Don Corleone pointed out, there will be a good share of people within the company who will reappoint him for at least another fiscal year or two, just enough to see how the Wii U has performed well into its lifespan, how the QoL platform will start and even I could possibly say what their next handheld will be like. So my take is let’s wait and see what happens while we play and enjoy their games. Plain and simple.

Lastly, most will say Iwata has to step down right away just based solely on the Wii U’s current struggles while disregarding his past track record, which I think it’s ludicrous. But even though such time ever comes, who will replace him? That is the question too. Sure, Iwata is not perfect by any means, but I cannot think of anybody as good or better enough to succeed him as of right now. No matter who may disagree, Iwata has to keep rolling the company until they know for certain who will be appointed as their next Global CEO. So again, best is to wait and see what happens.

It doesn't matter if there's "nobody better" clearly visible. You can't solve a problem by ignoring it, and Iwata's leadership is just that - a problem that needs to be solved. Quickly, at that.

Just like with Crazy Ken, it doesn't matter what he accomplished in the past when his stubbornness and pride is liable to bring the entire company down with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok something mario kart 8 or nintendo related is going down according to twitter. I don't know how to link tweets, sorry.

@https://twitter.com/IGN

"If you're a Nintendo fan, you should probably stay up tonight"

pic.twitter.com/Es4SURv4pY"

"is it possible?? no....it can´t be.....haha (just kidding). Many people will be happy later ;D #MarioKart8 #WiiU #luv pic.twitter.com/Es4SURv4pY"

This guy ^ is very reliable, really I promise.

*Remembers Kirby and his warp star on Rainbow Road in the SSB4 trailer for Rosalina*

They better deliver.

It doesn't matter if there's "nobody better" clearly visible. You can't solve a problem by ignoring it, and Iwata's leadership is just that - a problem that needs to be solved. Quickly, at that.

Just like with Crazy Ken, it doesn't matter what he accomplished in the past when his stubbornness and pride is liable to bring the entire company down with him.

To me it does matter if there’s somebody better. If you want to put a company back on track you need somebody who can achieve at least the same if not better level of success from your previous boss, and as of right now I (nor anybody as far as I know) cannot think of anyone who can succeed Iwata in the short term. And I don’t think their best bet is to appoint somebody in the very short term especially if that person isn’t trustworthy enough to deliver the job to good standards. This will require a certain time and well thought planning, and the choice has to be right for the best of Nintendo’s future prospect and not a mere quick patch and off you go.

Nobody knows for certain what Nintendo is doing behind the scenes anyway, so until then all I can say is Iwata must stay until the time for a real successor comes, no matter who may disagree.

Ok something mario kart 8 or nintendo related is going down according to twitter. I don't know how to link tweets, sorry.

@https://twitter.com/IGN

"If you're a Nintendo fan, you should probably stay up tonight"

pic.twitter.com/Es4SURv4pY"

"is it possible?? no....it can´t be.....haha (just kidding). Many people will be happy later ;D #MarioKart8 #WiiU #luv pic.twitter.com/Es4SURv4pY"

This guy ^ is very reliable, really I promise.

Oh damn, it’s just 5AM here and I should have been already on bed… =_=; Well, I’ll have to check it out tomorrow, but I hope it’s THAT good!