Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I don't really care how pretty the new backgrounds in NSMB2 are.

I really could not give a shit, the problem is as MD described "expansion pack sequels".

See, CoD and other shooters are getting railed into oblivion for releasing sequels that are basically the same mechanically to their predecessors and are no better than overly expensive DLC that comes in a disk.

Yet, when signs point to Nintendo going down that road with the NSMBx franchise, it gets away more or less scott free, or at least has defenders in their droves who are instantly captivated by Nostalgia and start pissing themselves when they show that some powerup (e.g Racoon Tail thing) from 20 years ago is getting a reprieve.

Yet, when signs point to Nintendo going down that road with the NSMBx franchise, it gets away more or less scott free, or at least has defenders in their droves who are instantly captivated by Nostalgia and start pissing themselves when they show that some powerup (e.g Racoon Tail thing) from 20 years ago is getting a reprieve.

Are you implying CoD doesn't get away with releasing mission pack sequels and people defending it?

Because over a million sales with successful advertising campaigns and an ever-expanding player-base above the millions completely destroys this strawman of yours.

• Thumbs Up 3

What memo did I miss that suddenly allowed everyone to go back to acting as if the NSMB games are anything but quicky nostalgia cash-in games whose only defining quality is how middlingly competent they are? Is it just because Nintendo didn't really have anything else to show that they are suddenly supposed to be relevant to someone who wants a real Mario game (in essence, a take it or leave it argument)?

Yeah, Nintendo hasn't made one in a few years now. No, they barely put any effort into that one either, so how exactly does the long period between titles change Nintendoga's original point? If I want something as imaginative and lovingly crafted as Yoshi's Island or SMB3 built to take advantage of the Wii U's capabilities (that Nintendo has gone so far out of their way to make note of), how does getting NSMBW Except-Now-It's-In-HD help satiate that?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 4

I agree with some of what Reggie says, and I understand that NintendoLand is supposed to introduce "casuals" to other Nintendo franchises.

But with Mario...I played the very first NSMB on DS, and I liked it. Not brilliant, but it was enjoyable enough. When I first saw the Wii version I knew it was basically the exact same game with minor changes. Now these two have been revealed this year, and it really is a matter of copy/paste. Oh there's no denying that NSMBU has some nice looking graphics. But other than that it's more of the same in gameplay. What people want is not another repetitive platformer, but a proper BIG GAME Mario platformer like Super Mario Galaxy!

Ps: NSMB2 looks much worse than the Wii U version. No effort whatsoever.

I think that's the problem that they're reusing level themes and music. That doesn't change the fact that they're all superbly designed games. Great level design, multiplayer, gameplay and longetivity. All due to the fact that mario sitll has the original designers and creators. That's why people still buy them. They're extrememly fun games. I think the visuals are leaving a bad impression when it comes to looking like the same damn thing. But maybe this had to do with the rumor that Nintendo is losing money... I don't know maybe that's why they're playing it "safe".

That doesn't change the fact that they're all superbly designed games.

I haven't played this game. I haven't played the 3DS title.

I have played the original, and I have played NSMBW. "Superbly designed" is being extremely generous. There's nothing "wrong" with them. There never was anything "wrong" with any of the NSMB games, and I have no reason there will be with this one or the 3DS one. The actual problem is not that they intentionally made the games look similar. The problem isn't even that they intentionally made the games look similar because they don't want to bother doing anything else. The actual problem is that the likes of SMB3, SMW and Yoshi's Island are not timeless classics that are loved to this day because there wasn't anything "wrong" with them.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 7

I think that's the problem that they're reusing level themes and music. That doesn't change the fact that they're all superbly designed games. Great level design, multiplayer, gameplay and longetivity. All due to the fact that mario sitll has the original designers and creators. That's why people still buy them. They're extrememly fun games. I think the visuals are leaving a bad impression when it comes to looking like the same damn thing. But maybe this had to do with the rumor that Nintendo is losing money... I don't know maybe that's why they're playing it "safe".

Nintendo "losing money" speaks less of lack of a more creative Mario game and more why NSMBU exists. It's harder to justify the series' existence on 3DS when Mario 3D Land exists and to be honest I'm far more critical of that being a thing, but in the Wii U's case it's existence isn't going to change the fact that worrying about a triple A big budget Mario game on a Nintendo console is a complete non-issue to this day.

Wii U will see it's Super Mario Space-Time Continuum, it's Metroid Dread, The Legend of Zelda: Non-descript McGuffin and whatever. Eventually. I can agree with NSMBU existing, because it guarantees a launch Mario title when the inevitable big-budget release would be unfeasible to expect. If Nintendo can guarantee Pikmin 3 and NSMBU on launch they already got a good combination of solid games. It's certainly no Dreamcast, but considering how launches these days have been handled it's turned what should be the rule into the exception.

With that said, I agree wholeheartedly with Tornado that there is a ton of leverage for unused creativity with 2D Mario, and U isn't really doing much, especially when it's previous iteration was ridiculously sloppy. It only took me Rayman Origins to be convinced about that, and personally I'm still bitter that "New Super Mario Bros. 2" or any NSMB we're getting isn't instead reinventing another formula, such as Yoshi's Island or SMB2. That and, lest we forget, Nintendo didn't really do much to show anything for the Wii U beyond it's launch period.

• Thumbs Up 5

The actual problem is that the likes of SMB3, SMW and Yoshi's Island are not timeless classics that are loved to this day because there wasn't anything "wrong" with them.

Huh? Yes they are.... What do you mean they're not timeless classics?

He's saying that they are timeless classics, but not because "there's nothing in particular that's wrong with them." They're timeless classics because they were revolutionary, which NSMB is not.

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: Never mind, someone else made the point before me. :P

Edited by Yacker the 2nd

Are you implying CoD doesn't get away with releasing mission pack sequels and people defending it?

I wasn't. There is of course a huge number of people

Because over a million sales with successful advertising campaigns and an ever-expanding player-base above the millions completely destroys this strawman of yours.

I guess I didn't make myself explicit enough. What I should have said, is that CoD and other shooters are getting railed by "hardcore" (I use the term here to describe people like ourselves, who talk at length about games and game design on the internet) gamers and in particular Nintendo fanboys (including Mario fans) who happily sit there all day and blast CoD into oblivion and complain about the stagnation of the industry, yet simultaneously fangasm when Nintendo announces another NSMB game which does little to differentiate itself from its predecessors save for now including a powerup not seen for 20 years.

I mean I fully understand why Nintendo are doing it. They kind of need something to sucker some people in to wait for the big guns. Yeah, I totally understand that. My problem is that the fans aren't calling them out and saying "Hey, isn't this milking the Mario franchise" a lil' bit? But no, they're just happy because the genre has stagnated in the way they want it to.

You misunderstood. He's saying they're not timeless classics BECAUSE there was nothing wrong with them, but they were timeless classics because they were exceptional, not merely "average"

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yet still these games sell very well for Nintendo. It's just like the CoD series! Barely any changes to its predecessors, and they still sell like hot cakes. =/

Oh. Well I don't think these two NSMB games are going to be considered revolutionary. But just fun but still excellently designed games. I never played the original one on DS. I do own the wii one. The thing that surprised me most was that not only did it get all the physics from the old games right, they refined it. Being able to triple jump, that little twirl that can save you from falling one millimeter away from a ledge, and coop. I think that's the point of this new Wii U one. They just keep refining the experience. New ideas. Hopefully there'll be enough of a difference in the experience from the Wii one. And I do like the coin concept for the 3ds one.

But it's not as interesting as you guys would like like SNES games so I understand your point.

I mean there is 3d land, that was a neat idea. I'm sure we'll see something new for 2d mario in the future.

http://twitpic.com/a0kg53

605615799.jpg?key=1200900&Expires=1340677408&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=D8AovpctGsjRbm9mHR0QJX2oZP30xp-lpb-5IRXw25sbumco-8vlYvS2Eo8ih77~P4WTGcWvhgRFPYECPiQirw8~pbggfhPO51XiVXFdgi2V~iYC23KEjARboGyeElZftNDXJ8wk7RC~GlbXxCgIvZ0In24OO3V12BgEUmw9ehs_

Iwata states in this interview that they will not "repeat the 3DS's mistakes," and will price the Wii U within a "reasonable" range.

...Reasonable in my book is $349, take it or leave it. As long as I'm not paying a half a grand for it I'm golden.

Reasonable for me is $280-300 USD, expecting it to be $350 USD like Silencer said. I'd be fine with the latter price point as well. That's really the highest I feel they can go though. The Wii U is going to be competing with similarly-priced consoles that, at the moment, can do much more (long story short, 360/PS3 being entertainment hubs) that appeals to the average consumer, in addition to having a multitude of games available already. It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo plays their cards with all of this.

Anything between $300 to $400 would be a good price, especially for a next gen console.

Though if the rumors are true about it being between $250-$290, then that would be a fucking steal.

300 bux would have me buying one without regrets. 400-450 is maybe territory. 500 would have me waiting for a price drop

Why does everyone keep saying that they're reusing themes from NSMB DS?

New_Super_Mario_Bros_U_screenshot_06.jpg

gallery_1_64_133078.jpg

wiiu_newmariou_1_scrn01_e3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah. $300 is possible, but about the absolute lowest that it can be based on what it is.

Yeah we're past that discussion

...lol

I'm betting it'll be $300.

That's a perfect price point, especially for a next-gen console.

New_Super_Mario_Bros_U_screenshot_06.jpg

gallery_1_64_133078.jpg

wiiu_newmariou_1_scrn01_e3.jpg

...Whoa, that actually doesn't look that bad now that I'm really looking at it.

Now if only the characters were 2D in sort of a Rayman Origins style, to match the background. But it still looks great.

Edited by Inferno