Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

In light of the impeding Smash Bros. themed Nintendo Direct airing tomorrow, a tweet has been released that implies Smash Bros. might not end up being released this year...

If Smash Bros. isn't releasing this year, then that would mean Mario Kart 8 is the only trump card Nintendo has for the Wii U for 2014 (assuming they don't have any other juggernaut games planned for this year aside from the already-released DKC: TF, but hey, E3 '14 might tell a different story). If Mario Kart 8 (somehow) fails to shift units and Smash Bros. is a no-show, the Wii U is arguably dead in the water for the rest of the year. There's potential killer apps such as Bayonetta 2, X, and Hyrule Warriors that will be released later down the line, but neither of those games are household names or are aimed at (a) large audience(s) compared to the likes of Smash Bros. and Mario Kart.

Though the Smash Bros. series isn't new to experiencing delays, I also have some concerns this could severely diminish interest/hype for the game as well as we're just a couple months away from it's planned release period like what happened to Rayman Legends.

I thought Smash was planned for late 2014. This isn't even close to Late 2014.

Sounds like something I'll wait to get when it's 2nd hand somewhere then. Nintendo games don't interest me in the slightest, but dat 3rd party support from Platinum games my favorite developer is making me lean on just getting one now and if an exclusive game that interests me comes out on it. I then know I have access to it.

Smash bros because of Mega Man, might be the only Nintendo game besides the Metroid series that I buy.

If you're not interested in Nintendo's first party games, wait until it's dirt cheap and get it then to catch up on what you missed. That's what I'm doing.

As for what can "save it" - nothing. It's irrelevant and nothing will change that at this point.

Sure, and nothing could save the PS3 back when it was selling like crap either.

But the PS3 had great games coming and is still getting good games.

Especially if you're a fan of Niche Japanese games.

But the PS3 had great games coming and is still getting good games.

Especially if you're a fan of Niche Japanese games.

Yeah, but it took awhile for it to become what it is today compared to the 360 and Wii which were immediate hits.

Technically Smash Bros is scheduled for just "2014". Everyone's just assumed it'll be around Christmas because it's a big name title and it probably requires a bit more development time yet.

As for those saying the Wii U is done and dusted already... let's just wait and see how Mario Kart 8 performs before we jump to any absolute conclusions. I don't expect it to completely turn the system's fortunes around and make it the best-selling console on the market, but it might just about draw in enough new customers to make it at least worth paying attention to, as opposed to the tumbleweed central that it is now.

Sure, and nothing could save the PS3 back when it was selling like crap either.

The PS3 wasn't tanking harder than the Dreamcast.

Thought Smash Bros. was planned for a summer 2014 release, but eh. I guess I misread somewhere.

I feel my most of my points still stands though (the loss of hype/interest in the game a la Rayman Origins I recede-unless the delay, should it be true, pushed the game well into mid-late 2015 release date territory).

Yeah, but it took awhile for it to become what it is today compared to the 360 and Wii which were immediate hits.

Can't disagree with that.

On another note, it really says alot about peoples faith in the Wii U when people are now saying "Just wait for Bayo2/X!" when the possibilty of MK8 or SSB flopping is brought up. Those games are pretty niche.

"Just wait for..." is pretty much being said ironically at this point.

The PS3 wasn't tanking harder than the Dreamcast.

The Dreamcast had WAY more problems with it and sold even less units than the Wii U during its last few months.

The Nintendo Direct in a nutshell.

"Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS has been delayed to 2015. Please understand."

End.

--

Don't get me wrong, that could just be a massive error in that quote, and I hope we get a storm of info that'll set hype through to the next universe, but if ever a delay happens, no amount of good news will help it.

The Dreamcast had WAY more problems with it and sold even less units than the Wii U during its last few months.

No it didn't, and the Wii U will decline in it's final moments as well. Duh?

Wii U will probably have a slightly longer lifespan, but it's selling at an even slower rate. Pitifully limping along longer than the Dreamcast did is no accomplishment, and its chances of gaining market relevancy are long gone.

I'm willing to bet that the Wii U will chart lower LTDs than the GameCube every single year, even despite the GC already being public ally acknowledged by Nintendo as a sales failure.

My God this is like a merry go round I'm pretty sure we've had this same exact conversation for days l

Well, we can look on the upside of this, if nintendo realizes they are just better off appealing to the classic nintendo fanbase, we could get a large stream of revived IPs

I haven't seen Alice Twilight in this thread before, so I can't imagine she knew when she asked. Doesn't mean her questions aren't worth answering.

Well, we can look on the upside of this, if nintendo realizes they are just better off appealing to the classic nintendo fanbase, we could get a large stream of revived IPs

How exactly is that an "upside" or "better off" way of looking at things? Nintendo should appeal to anyone that wants to play their games, not some stereotypical and niche audience you call a "classic fanbase" 

Your obliviousness is both baffling and enraging to say the least, it's not even about the IP's any more, it's about Nintendo being a shit company and expecting their games to always be the saving grace for their mistakes. But even if their Wii U games are legitimately good, not many are going to care because at this point Nintendo have failed to push any viable reason to buy a Wii U other than "It has the Mario and Zeldas".

• Thumbs Up 3

My God this is like a merry go round I'm pretty sure we've had this same exact conversation for days l

I've had this conversation too over at SEGA forums and other forums. Sometimes I get something new out it from different peoples point of view. There's nothing wrong with discussing things. I haven't been here in a year so I don't know what people are talking about.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've had this conversation to over at SEGA forums and other forums. Sometimes I get something new out it from different peoples point of view. There's nothing wrong with discussing things. I haven't been here in a year so I don't know what people are talking about.

Yeah I can understand that for you but seeing that its been like this for several pages back and forth arguments over the samething it can get annoying ya know?

It's not like we can discuss any games on the console, everything worth discussing is miles away in terms of release, has little to no information on them or is just a sad fan's pipe dream of what we could of had if Nintendo cared about half their IP's.

As much as it pains me to say this, as I really really love the look of MK8, I wouldn't really be entirely surprised if it didn't do well in terms of sales. And if Mario Kart can't move units, then that's a serious problem.

It could go either way at this point.

Mario Kart would interest me if it didn't look the same old same old. I don't know what to expect out of a kart racing game if they did do something different with the game, but to me, you've played one Mario Kart you've played them all. I like Transformed for being like an arcade game, really hard, challenging and has a great learning curve. It is fair to compare Transformed and Mario Kart right?

As much as it pains me to say this, as I really really love the look of MK8, I wouldn't really be entirely surprised if it didn't do well in terms of sales. And if Mario Kart can't move units, then that's a serious problem.

To be honest, I think that's a given now.

It might do good for Wii U standards, but 'good' for Wii U standards is, to be frank, slightly lolworthy. We can say 'wait for x' all we like; however, I fear this won't help.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario Kart would interest me if it didn't look the same old same old. I don't know what to expect out of a kart racing game if they did do something different with the game, but to me, you've played one Mario Kart you've played them all. I like Transformed for being like an arcade game, really hard, challenging and has a great learning curve. It is fair to compare Transformed and Mario Kart right?

I'm not even sure how you can compare MK8 to it's predecessors at this point, it's honestly doing a lot more than the standard Mario Kart did, and the track selection is looking to be one of the best since 64 imo.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's safe to say Mario Kart 8 will be the make or break point for the Wii U. It'll never be a roaring success, but it still has a chance of being at least mildly relevant in the current generation of consoles.

In short - if a series that shifted over 35 million copies on Wii can't turn the Wii U's fortunes around, then nothing will.

True, Mario Kart games do tend to play very similarly, but Mario Kart 8 genuinely looks like one of the more interesting ones in good while. The glider and underwater sections look a lot better implemented than they did in Mario Kart 7, and the anti-gravity stuff seems to have lent itself to some rather inventive track design. It may not be as wildly different as you might like, but it might well be the "definitive" entry in the series, if nothing else.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is basically one step beyond Mario Kart in terms of its concepts, taking the air and water sections to a whole new level with the planes and boats. I wouldn't call it unfair to compare the two as, at their core, they're very much based on the same kart racing formula, it's just that they take it in two different directions. Mario Kart stays truer to its roots for the sake of accessibility and familiarity, ASRT does something a bit more complex and experimental so that... well, it doesn't look just like a Mario Kart clone, basically. It's all down to personal preference which approach you like more really, though I wouldn't be surprised to see a future Mario Kart borrowing from ASRT's ideas. I don't quite know what else they can add now that they've got the anti-grav in MK8.

• Thumbs Up 1