Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Less interesting, the Wii version of Mario Golf VC is available too. Look that up if you're feeling the itch, and who knows, once the N64 VC finally rolls around they'll probably do discount upgrades again.

"Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace"?

Well that doesn't sound like anything Nintendo would ever make and because of that I'm interested.

Like, imagine if it's some overly cheesy comedic action shooter or some shit like that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

"Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace"?

Well that doesn't sound like anything Nintendo would ever make and because of that I'm interested.

Like, imagine if it's some overly cheesy comedic action shooter or some shit like that. 

Provided this isn't some small-time eshop game, I could see it being pretty cool. Nintendo could use some more western games. Your proposal there piqued my interest, lol.

For a while now my Wii U has been freezing. It's happened to me a bunch of times

It started with sonic and all stars racing transformed. The game is already buggy enough(looking at you NiGHTS stage) but it keeps freezing my console. I thought it was just the after burner stage but no it happeneds at random.

The next game is mega man X. I beat the game and I could press anything once I saw sigma's face at the end it was just stuck like that.

The final nail on the coffin is tekken tag tournoment 2 Wii U edition. My friend and I bought 2 new copies off amazon. When I started the game the load times circle kept stopping then after selecting a character and it goes to the "get ready for the next battle" it's so slow to start up. Playing the actual game is fine but those 2 where annoying then what happened next was so annoying. After beating arcade mode and defeating Jun there's a cutscene where she's defeated for the first time on Saturday I skipped it and then my console froze again. Somehow my friends never had this problem

I called Nintendo and luckily I'm able to get it fixed free of charge. I seriously don't know if its the system or its the fact that the games that played(with the exception of MMX) are launch games but oddly enough nobody else seems to have this problem

For crying out loud.

Make two topics.

Make one topic for general Wii U news and discussion, and make another topic made specifically to discuss Nintendo's general business strategies and other related topics.

Just segregate the two so those of us that want to discuss upcoming releases and other new tidbits of info can do so without having to deal with this constant debate about Nintendo's future. It's become obnoxious.

Can we at least have this? Someone, please?

• Thumbs Up 5

For crying out loud.

Make two topics.

Make one topic for general Wii U news and discussion, and make another topic made specifically to discuss Nintendo's general business strategies and other related topics.

Just segregate the two so those of us that want to discuss upcoming releases and other new tidbits of info can do so without having to deal with this constant debate about Nintendo's future. It's become obnoxious.

I'm still waiting for an Sonic 06 topic designated for debates on whether the game is objectively good or not and why people (dis)like it.

You have to wait at the back of the line, buddy. tongue.png

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't have a problem with splitting the thread into two discussions, though then that would give the mods two topics to review rather than just one, so I doubt splitting this topic or the Sonic 06 topic into two threads is going to happen.

Considering how the sales loss of hardware has been canceled out and trumped by the software sales, I wouldn't call the Wii U a "black hole".

Considering how the sales loss of hardware has been canceled out and trumped by the software sales, I wouldn't call the Wii U a "black hole".

So if that's the case how are they loosing money?

In fact why are people still acting like they don't know the situation so they can argue the same points again

That's killing this thread more than anything. It's  different if something new comes upbut most of the time it's two sides having the same argument again and again

• Thumbs Up 6

They sell the Wii U at a loss but make up for it with software sales.

So if that's the case how are they loosing money?

In fact why are people still acting like they don't know the situation so they can argue the same points again

That's killing this thread more than anything. It's  different if something new comes upbut most of the time it's two sides having the same argument again and again

Pretty sure they're actually just making far less profit than they projected, yet game sites report that as a loss for whatever reason. However, they did have an operating loss last quarter due to buying all those new buildings.

They sell the Wii U at a loss but make up for it with software sales.

The problem is that software also cost money to develop, and if money from the software is going to even out the hardware sales. How can you even out the money it cost to produce said software.

That's one of the ways Nintendo might be loosing money. 

The problem is that software also cost money to develop, and if money from the software is going to even out the hardware sales. How can you even out the money it cost to produce said software.

That's one of the ways Nintendo might be loosing money. 

Proably not because Nintendo puts gameplay before graphics, and actualy makes games on a non-inflated budget unlike almost every other game company out there

They make the gameplay first, then develop the graphics, thats why they are who they are

Proably not because Nintendo puts gameplay before graphics, and actualy makes games on a non-inflated budget unlike almost every other game company out there

They make the gameplay first, then develop the graphics, thats why they are who they are

You are aware that game development isn't cheap regardless of what the graphics look like, right?

I get your point but still sales have been rather lacking. And Besides partnerships with companies like Sega or even Platinum Games(even if I really love their games) haven't been most successful. This shows also that Nintendo is also putting money in more than 1st party games.

Good games will always cost money. 

You are aware that game development isn't cheap regardless of what the graphics look like, right?

It is, but Nintendo doesn't overextend itself in such a way that a game needs to sell 6 million copies to be successful. Though people say they're a "Triple A" developer, they're not so in the actual budgeting sense.

• Thumbs Up 6

For crying out loud.

Make two topics.

The funny thing is there WAS a topic like that made by Discoid a little while back, but it's been buried and forgotten somewhere in the Videogame Discussion board. XP

It is, but Nintendo doesn't overextend itself in such a way that a game needs to sell 6 million copies to be successful. Though people say they're a "Triple A" developer, they're not so in the actual budgeting sense.

Yeah, Fire Emblem: Awakening was considered successful at under 1 million, if not under 500k and SM3DW was also considered a success.

• Thumbs Up 1

For a while now my Wii U has been freezing. It's happened to me a bunch of times

It started with sonic and all stars racing transformed. The game is already buggy enough(looking at you NiGHTS stage) but it keeps freezing my console. I thought it was just the after burner stage but no it happeneds at random.

The next game is mega man X. I beat the game and I could press anything once I saw sigma's face at the end it was just stuck like that.

The final nail on the coffin is tekken tag tournoment 2 Wii U edition. My friend and I bought 2 new copies off amazon. When I started the game the load times circle kept stopping then after selecting a character and it goes to the "get ready for the next battle" it's so slow to start up. Playing the actual game is fine but those 2 where annoying then what happened next was so annoying. After beating arcade mode and defeating Jun there's a cutscene where she's defeated for the first time on Saturday I skipped it and then my console froze again. Somehow my friends never had this problem

I called Nintendo and luckily I'm able to get it fixed free of charge. I seriously don't know if its the system or its the fact that the games that played(with the exception of MMX) are launch games but oddly enough nobody else seems to have this problem

Are you using a USB Flash Drive for extra storage? My console would continually freeze on multiple occasions, but it stopped once I moved everything off of the USB Drive.

Save files count too.

Are you using a USB Flash Drive for extra storage? My console would continually freeze on multiple occasions, but it stopped once I moved everything off of the USB Drive.

Save files count too.

Sometime down the road ill keep that in mind

Yes, that was a good way to solve this. Thank you, Sean.

So I just bought mine. $200 Craigslist offer, came with a Wiimote Plus, NintendoLand, and NSMBU. Unfortunately neither of those games looked interesting at all to play single player, and the lack of online functionality makes the multiplayer useless for me. I did get to borrow my friend's copy of W101 though, and I could probably get Lost World from someone else at school.

As for console impressions, eh. I don't like the look or feel of the main menu at all. Reminds me a lot of the 3DS - very... toy-like I guess. Doesn't feel very classy or sophisticated, and the big goofy looking buttons kinda turn me off. I also don't like the feel of the controller at all. It's just way too big. Feels like a toy, but I genuinely have no clue how children are supposed to play this thing. Felt like I was doing hardcore finger gymnastics trying to figure out how to play Lost World.

Eh. Maybe (hopefully) W101 changes my mind. If not I'll buy a Pro controller and play Kart and Smash with that.

Oh also, is there no "suspend" feature for apps? I opened up Miiverse, but went back to the main menu to change a setting, only to find that I had to wait for Miiverse to reboot completely. What? Did I do something without noticing to turn it off?

Everyone is surprised.

I actually find the size and distribution of tiles preferable to the obnoxiously large ones on PS4 and the inconsistent ones on Xbox One. The Wii U home screen is inoffensive and consistent, immediately conveys a lot of information while being easy to understand and navigate. As for the GamePad, I find such a limitation odd, given that I have small hands and managed to play an abundance of games for extended periods of time with little issue.